• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

maeh2k

w700 looks great, but for thesis papers i need a detachable keyboard. i do not comprehend acers thinking there.

I also think an i3 vaio duo 11 would be great, but that might be a bit heavy with the integrated keyboard and everything

I actually like that they are going for a more pure tablet instead of an Ultrabook with detachable screen. I also think their dock is kind of neat.

It'll still work with bluetooth keyboards. One guy in an interview at one of those trade shows sounded like a bluetooth keyboard might be bundled with the device. Doubt it, though. Wouldn't make sense. There's enough choice out there already.

at the moment I think I will be going for the Ativ Smart PC / Series 5 Slate

samsung-ativ-smart-pc.jpg

I just need TF2 confirmation. It is not THAT cpu/gpu intense and id be glad to play it on the lowest settings, as long as it ran. Why are there no benchmarks or anything for these clovertrail chips yet. I really dont hope too much, but i still have hope. There are no benchmarks, right?

It has a pen, seems to be not too expensive and has a fanless design. and it will look great with my omnia 7.

edit:

Is anyone here planning to buy an atom w8 device on launch day? i might just ask you to test it for me ;)

I just need TF2 confirmation. It is not THAT cpu/gpu intense and id be glad to play it on the lowest settings, as long as it ran. Why are there no benchmarks or anything for these clovertrail chips yet. I really dont hope too much, but i still have hope. There are no benchmarks, right?

It has a pen, seems to be not too expensive and has a fanless design. and it will look great with my omnia 7.

edit:

Is anyone here planning to buy an atom w8 device on launch day? i might just ask you to test it for me ;)

That's on my radar too... Now that the Vivo tab is absurd i'm down to either lenovo (which i find the ugliest of the bunch) and this one (scared of samsung apps hijacking the system)...

According to intel they have the same graphical capabilities of the ipad 3... I'm confident it will run pretty much everything on the app store, but not sure how it will actually run desktop pc games, though...

jonremedy

That's on my radar too... Now that the Vivo tab is absurd i'm down to either lenovo (which i find the ugliest of the bunch) and this one (scared of samsung apps hijacking the system)...

According to intel they have the same graphical capabilities of the ipad 3... I'm confident it will run pretty much everything on the app store, but not sure how it will actually run desktop pc games, though...

For me it's either going to be the Acer or the Lenovo Atom tablets. I want my tablet as small as possible, and with as high pixel density as possible. They are the only two fulfilling my criteria.

Of the Acer and the Lenovo, only the Acer looks to actually have battery in the keyboard dock, and it's also includes a touchpad (for Win8 gestures etc) and the Lenovo doesn't.

For me it's either going to be the Acer or the Lenovo Atom tablets. I want my tablet as small as possible, and with as high pixel density as possible. They are the only two fulfilling my criteria.

Of the Acer and the Lenovo, only the Acer looks to actually have battery in the keyboard dock, and it's also includes a touchpad (for Win8 gestures etc) and the Lenovo doesn't.

What's wrong with those companies? Why they can't make a product that have all the features available and it's not absurdly priced? It seems there's always a catch...

Acer confirmed the specs and prices for the W510 and 700 in New Zealand

The Iconia Tab W510 comes with a 64GB SSD, an Intel Atom 2760 1.5GHz processor, MicroSD slot, a 10.1" IPS 1366 x 768 display, front 2MP and rear facing 8MP webcams, and supposedly achieves up to 9 hours of battery life while managing to weigh in at just under 600 grams. Not a bad device for the price, considering it also features Windows 8 Professional. Unfortunately, the keyboard dock is an additional cost.

At the higher end, the Iconia Tab W700 features a 128GB SSD, Intel Core i5 3317U at 1.7GHz, a 11.6" Full HD IPS display, front 1080P(!) camera and rear 720p camera, with up to 8 hours of battery life while weighing just 950 grams. It too features full-blown Windows 8 Professional, but doesn't have a MicroSD slot like the Iconia W510. As with the W510, the keyboard accessory (in this case a bluetooth keyboard) is not included and is an additional cost.

The pricing in the above table includes tax, but when it is removed and converted into US dollars, the Iconia Tab W700 costs around $1260 without the keyboard, and the Iconia Tab is around $710. This makes the lower-end Iconia Tab a close contender for the iPad, with the iPad 3 currently retailing for $499 in the US.

Neeext!

maeh2k

Acer confirmed the specs and prices for the W510 and 700 in New Zealand

The core i5 one is pretty much in line with comparable Ultrabooks. The Zenbook Prime costs around 1050$ on amazon (MSRP 1099$). The W700 has the same specs and adds a touchscreen. Not too shocking, though certainly not mainstream. We'll have to wait for final US prices. They might be a bit lower. Maybe 1100$ to 1150$ would be reasonable. If it also had pen support, I might choose it over the Zenbook, but alas...

scently

edit:

The series 7 is what I am planning to go for.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 to cost $799 with keyboard attachment:

If you were thinking of picking up the ThinkPad Tablet 2, you better have some funds saved up. Lenovo recently told WPCentral that the Windows 8 device and the optional keyboard attachment will cost a total of $799. Despite the considerably high price tag, the Tablet 2 still deserves at least some of your attention. During our time with it last month, we were generally impressed with the Intel-powered tablet's build quality, along with its 10.1-inch 1366 x 768 display and estimated 10 hours of battery life.

While priced well above the $300 Windows RT models that Lenovo plans to release, the ThinkPad Tablet 2 is right in line with the rumored price of the Asus Vivo Tab, as well as the high-end of Microsoft's Surface line. Regardless, the enterprise tablet's premium price may be difficult for some to accept when it launches on October 26th, especially when compared to more affordable Windows RT devices or Apple's iPad.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3368962/lenovo-thinkpad-tablet-2-keyboard-windows-8-799

300 dollars for RT is :)

But 800 dollars for the Atom? C'mon, how much more can this thing actually cost?

Also, is it me or there's a clear pattern regarding Atom tablets prices? (700 dollars without pen and 800 with pen)

Oh, Edit: It's 800 for the tablet + dock? Then it's a bit better than the others actually...

tino

Banned
300 dollars for RT is :)

But 800 dollars for the Atom? C'mon, how much more can this thing actually cost?

Also, is it me or there's a clear pattern regarding Atom tablets prices? (700 dollars without pen and 800 with pen)

Oh, Edit: It's 800 for the tablet + dock? Then it's a bit better than the others actually...

The keybord has no battery. Its worth 60-70 to me at most.

jonremedy

The keybord has no battery. Its worth 60-70 to me at most.

Even if the Acer W510 ends up being 800 dollars with the dock (and looking at the NZ prices, it may be) it's a better buy than the Lenovo for me. But then, I don't care about pen input...

Is the $750 price point for slate 5/smart pc including the dock confirmed or just speculation?
sounds like a good price, i guess.

did they say anything about release date? I read basically everything about this device and no single word about release date, I hope it will hit europe together with windows 8, I need a new portable computer so badly.

eastmen

Banned
anything more than $500 for an atom tablet is highway robbery unless some how the new atoms are sandy bridge levels of performance which i doubt.

anything more than $500 for an atom tablet is highway robbery unless some how the new atoms are sandy bridge levels of performance which i doubt.

Logic, how does it work? Atom is more powerful than Tegra 3 or any other A9 based ARM SOC, and it allows you to run X86 apps. How's that not worth more than $500, especially if it comes with an EMR pen?

eastmen

Banned
Logic, how does it work? Atom is more powerful than Tegra 3 or any other A9 based ARM SOC, and it allows you to run X86 apps. How's that not worth more than $500, especially if it comes with an EMR pen?

Logic , how does it work ? Atom is less powerfull than Brazos which is less powerful than Hondo which is less powerful than Trinity which is less powerful than Ivybridge (in non graphics related stuff)

Atom has to be at the botom of the pricing scale for x86. If many of us (myself included ) expect ivy bridge tablets at $800 to $1k mark then $700 atoms are a horrible deal

tino

Banned
Logic , how does it work ? Atom is less powerfull than Brazos which is less powerful than Hondo which is less powerful than Trinity which is less powerful than Ivybridge (in non graphics related stuff)

Atom has to be at the botom of the pricing scale for x86. If many of us (myself included ) expect ivy bridge tablets at $800 to $1k mark then $700 atoms are a horrible deal

If the Atom tablet include a real IPS screen, its still worth the $500. I am sure Acer will make a version with a shitty ass LCD screen and a 3 cell battery very soon and price it at $350 just for people like you.

$700? I thought you said $500 and above was shit deal. Why are you moving the target?

Plus your whole argument is contingent on a horribly huge assumption that we will get Ivy Bridge slates starting $800. I laugh heartily from base of my gut at that notion. Ivy Bridge tablets will start at $999.

Clovertrail is near the bottom of the X86 barrel for late 2012, that's for sure, but I'm pooping on your notion that buying it for over $500 is a horrible deal. When you are buying iPad 3 for $500 and up, it is definitely not a horrible deal to buy a Clovertail Windows 8 slate for say $700 with an EMR pen.

eastmen

Banned
$700? I thought you said $500 and above was shit deal. Why are you moving the target?

Plus your whole argument is contingent on a horribly huge assumption that we will get Ivy Bridge slates starting $800. I laugh heartily from base of my gut at that notion. Ivy Bridge tablets will start at $999.

Clovertrail is near the bottom of the X86 barrel for late 2012, that's for sure, but I'm pooping on your notion that buying it for over $500 is a horrible deal. When you are buying iPad 3 for $500 and up, it is definitely not a horrible deal to buy a Clovertail Windows 8 slate for say $700 with an EMR pen.

What are you talking about. I said anything above $500 was a shit deal for atom. But prices for the w510 are over $500 they are $710 according to the release.

Thats why its a shit deal.

eastmen

Banned
If the Atom tablet include a real IPS screen, its still worth the $500. I am sure Acer will make a version with a shitty ass LCD screen and a 3 cell battery very soon and price it at $350 just for people like you.

have u actually used atom devices ?

What are you talking about. I said anything above $500 was a shit deal for atom. But prices for the w510 are over $500 they are $710 according to the release.

Thats why its a shit deal.

Do you practice being so damn clueless? Christ...

If paying $600~700 for Android or iOS slate with 64GB is OK, then paying $700 for Atom slate with similar storage is no where near a horrible deal since it has more power and flexibility to run X86 Windows apps on top of the Win8 RT apps.

eastmen

Banned
I had 3. Your next question?

and your actually willing to buy another one ? Good god

Do you practice being so damn clueless? Christ...

If paying $600~700 for Android or iOS slate with 64GB is OK, then paying $700 for Atom slate with similar storage is no where near a horrible deal since it has more power and flexibility to run X86 Windows apps on top of the Win8 RT apps.

The atom is a POS however while the the andriod and IOS slates with that amount of storage have top of the line performance for this OS's

It doesn't make sense paying $700 for a tablet when there will be much better ones costing a few hundred more if even.

The atom is a POS however while the the andriod and IOS slates with that amount of storage have top of the line performance for this OS's

It doesn't make sense paying $700 for a tablet when there will be much better ones costing a few hundred more if even.

check out youtube videos. atom is becoming better. everything i have seen is buttery smooth and fast on clovertrail.

I think they have 1.80 ghz dualcore performance, so it shoul be pretty neat for day-to-day usage and a bit.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

Probably does make sense for some people when you consider that Atom tablets will most likely be lighter, cooler, and have better battery life than their i5 equivalents.

Also they should perform at least as well as the ARM tablets on the RT Apps, so at the very least you're getting a device that's better than every ARM tablet out there, x86 support is the cherry on top.

eastmen

Banned
check out youtube videos. atom is becoming better. everything i have seen is buttery smooth and fast on clovertrail.

I think they have 1.80 ghz dualcore performance, so it shoul be pretty neat for day-to-day usage and a bit.
the last one i used is a 1.66ghz dual core , performance was still bad , windows 8 ran fine on it , once u load up other programs it runs out of steam

Probably does make sense for some people when you consider that Atom tablets will most likely be lighter, cooler, and have better battery life than their i5 equivalents.

Also they should perform at least as well as the ARM tablets on the RT Apps, so at the very least you're getting a device that's better than every ARM tablet out there, x86 support is the cherry on top.

It might be good for surfing the web and video watching but if your doing something else the extra time the atom requires to do it can actually make the useful battery life worse than ivy bridge.

the last one i used is a 1.66ghz dual core , performance was still bad , windows 8 ran fine on it , once u load up other programs it runs out of steam

It might be good for surfing the web and video watching but if your doing something else the extra time the atom requires to do it can actually make the useful battery life worse than ivy bridge.

most windows 8 atom hybrids like the hp envy x2 and samsung ativ smart pc do have a 1.80ghz z2760 which should provide a better experience than the older 1.66 chipsets.

eastmen

Banned
most windows 8 atom hybrids like the hp envy x2 and samsung ativ smart pc do have a 1.80ghz z2760 which should provide a better experience than the older 1.66 chipsets.
A better experiance over a horrible ne would be a net loss still. Why pay?$700 for an atom when some i5s will be $800 doesn't make sense to me

Atom is when compared to ARM A9 is more powerful, so running RT apps will be butter smooth. Running heavy duty X86 apps will be an issue, but it's not as bad as it use to be. Running things like office will be fine.

Your whole problem with Atom comes from a place that is not even relavent to the issue. You are being ridiculously dense. Atom slates upto $700 is more than par for the market. If indeed IB i5 slates were offered for $800, I would agree, but that's all pipe dream ATM. And even if there were IB i5 slate for $800, it's battery life and weight would be significantly different due to i5's cooling requirements.

eastmen

Banned
which i5 will be 800

Gotta wait and see I suppose

Atom is when compared to ARM A9 is more powerful, so running RT apps will be butter smooth. Running heavy duty X86 apps will be an issue, but it's not as bad as it use to be. Running things like office will be fine.

Your whole problem with Atom comes from a place that is not even relavent to the issue. You are being ridiculously dense. Atom slates upto $700 is more than par for the market. If indeed IB i5 slates were offered for $800, I would agree, but that's all pipe dream ATM. And even if there were IB i5 slate for $800, it's battery life and weight would be significantly different due to i5's cooling requirements.

But the atom wont be compared to the ARM A9 , it will be compared to other cpu's running windows 8 pro.

When someone goes to choose a windows 8 pro tablet the windows rt tablets are a moot point.

Even if an IB i5 is offered for $900 the $700 atom would still be a horrible deal.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i'm leaning toward the acer w510 which is atom based. I have used atom netbooks with hdds before and I think with the addition of a ssd it should be powerful enough for my needs. (I honestly think people are underestimating how much performance gain there is from ssds, it was a huge upgrade on my desktop). The main reason I am leaning toward the 510 though is I want to use the keyboard in my lap and I don't think the surface will be good for that and the 510 is not bulky when folded up with the keyboard unlike some of these machines. (plus the keyboard dock has a battery in it. they said up to 18 hrs with the dock).

YP1at.jpg

Gotta wait and see I suppose

But the atom wont be compared to the ARM A9 , it will be compared to other cpu's running windows 8 pro.

When someone goes to choose a windows 8 pro tablet the windows rt tablets are a moot point.

Even if an IB i5 is offered for $900 the $700 atom would still be a horrible deal.

Still don't get it, do you?

1. All W8 tablets can run RT apps, including "pro" tablets, so it's not moot issue.
2. $900 IB slate is still a pipe dream. Sammy has announced their IB slate for $1200. Like it or not, there will be a significant price difference between Clovertrail and Ivy Bridge slates.
3. IB slates won't have nearly the battery life of CT slates, and will be much heavier. So even at a close price points, it's about different market segments and goals.

eastmen

Banned

1. All W8 tablets can run RT apps, including "pro" tablets, so it's not moot issue.
2. $900 IB slate is still a pipe dream. Sammy has announced their IB slate for $1200. Like it or not, there will be a significant price difference between Clovertrail and Ivy Bridge slates.
3. IB slates won't have nearly the battery life of CT slates, and will be much heavier. So even at a close price points, it's about different market segments and goals.

I get it just fine , you don't seem to understand. Someone buying a Windows Pro tablet wont be considering an RT tablet.

You think there will be a huge price diffrence and i bet the OEMs would love that , but there is a game changer out there.

IB slates will get plenty of battery life and while heavier the diffrence wont be as dramatic as you want to put it . The surface pro is a IB tablet and comes in 1.99lbs while the announced atom tablets range from 1.3lbs to 1.65 lbs .

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

I choose....I choose...both battery life and performance.

wait for haswell

tino

Banned
This thread terrible. MS is terrible. If they come clean with the freaking tablets price other OEM would also announce their prices. And at least we have something to argue over.

Just terrible.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They're announce Surface release date and price one of these days...

I get it just fine , you don't seem to understand. Someone buying a Windows Pro tablet wont be considering an RT tablet.

As someone who is interested in pro tablet, I am very interested in RT mode. I don't plan to use x86 apps when light weight and touch friendly RT app is available to use on my new touchy feel~y slate. It matters. It's the thing that makes the entire approach that MS is using valid.

You think there will be a huge price diffrence and i bet the OEMs would love that , but there is a game changer out there.

Pray tell, which one would that be? lol

IB slates will get plenty of battery life and while heavier the diffrence wont be as dramatic as you want to put it . The surface pro is a IB tablet and comes in 1.99lbs while the announced atom tablets range from 1.3lbs to 1.65 lbs .

20~33% difference in weight isn't significant? And battery life difference will be even more dramatic.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

release date is the 26th of October and the price will be announced the day before most likely. ($500+)

Top Bottom