• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Acer Iconia W510 and W700 Hands On at IDF

Acer Aspire S7 Ultrabook Hands On at IDF 2012

510:
gtvLG.jpg

0ktBm.jpg

OKadV.jpg
S7:
edit: HP Envy x2 hands on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKwdbYEuf8I

eastmen

Banned
So Haswell at 7.8 watts performs like sandy bridge at 17w

http://fudzilla.com/home/item/28703-haswell-at-7w-does-job-of-ivy-at-17w

Anand has a video of ivy bridge vs haswell running Skyrim

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6266/idf-2012-haswell-gt3-running-skyrim

Ivy bridge on the left and Haswell on the right , both have the same tdp . You can see how much better Haswell is. Of course i'm sure this is the highest end hawell.

I really believe this is what the surface will launch with come febuary or march of next year. Its the only thing that makes sense . They can put in a 8watt haswell that has an adjustable TDP up to 17 watts. Performance would be very good

That's some really impressive smoothness on the Atom W510 video above...

If Intel delivered in battery life and 3d performance (compared to Tegra, of course), atom tablets will be damn tempting.

Conor 419

Banned
Guys, I cba waiting for Surface Pro as I could do with one of these tablets on launch. Are there any that exceed (or if not are very similar to) Surface Pro itself?

Keyouta

If Haswell is put into the Surface Pro, I will be getting that for sure 100%. Right now though I'm gauging the competing laptop/tablet/hybrids. I sure hope the SPro gets it though

tino

Banned
Neither does the Surface Pro.

I don't under you guys logic. Do you really want the soc's release schedule to dictate the release date of a new product?

The world is not standing still. Next year, every ARM soc will be on quadcore A15 chip. nVidia will have 8 core performance ARM soc. Everyone and his cousin wilk have LTE radio buildin which automatically make your current chip out of date.

New year, maybe Android and iOS will have official solutions for multi-window multi-tasking UI; maybe Adobe will have a full version of Photoshop running on retina iPad 4; maybe Amazin will sell a 199 10" tablet. What's the reason to wait for a product.

Totakeke

Those are factual statements. You guys don't need to be worked up over the implications. Surface Pro isn't a fanless design anyway.

Wow, a dual SGX 544MP2 gpu? My concerns are now dismissed... CloverTrail here i come!

Next year's atoms already look quite promising too.
Don't be fooled by the theoretical power of an Intel IGP. No matter how promising it looks, Intel will make sure that they're going to ruin it with their drivers.

what does that mean for someone who has absolutely no idea about anything chip-related. how good is that

The ipad 2 has a 544MP2, this supposedly has two of them which puts it on par with ipad 3's 544MP4 (Basically they are all the same basic core, but ipad 3 has a quad core design, while clovertrail has two dual core, though having two dual core gpus doesn't sound much logical... maybe i misunderstood?).

So basically, the same gpu power of the ipad 3, but at a much lower resolution... It's also the same gpu Vita uses.

maeh2k

Leaked Asus pricing.
http://www.zdnet.com/asus-windows-8-tablet-pricing-comes-in-high-demand-likely-low-7000004378/

600$ for the WinRT device. That thing will have a hard time competing with Asus' Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPad Mini.

They probably won't sell well. People will argue that no one wants Windows 8 tablets. Reviews will bitch about the schizophrenic OS / Office.

Shockingly the Taichi is somewhat reasonably priced at 1300$ for dual multi-touch full hd IPS. Looks like it will have a lower base price than the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga.

Those prices already include the dock... right?

And they are listed as a separate purchase just in case someone needs an extra, right?

Windu

the base Vivo RT model is most likely 32GB which is right in line with the new iPad at 32GB. I agree it should be cheaper though considering i think the iPad is overpriced.

The article on Zdnet says this:

Also included in Asus' roadmap are details about 12 and 13-inch laptops. What's truly odd is that one laptop is $549 and the next-gen Transformer is $1,399. The Transformer Book is billed as "one device for two personalities between tablet and notebook."

I don't know if i understood it correctly, is 1,399 the price for the new transformer book? Wonder what the specs are...

the base Vivo RT model is most likely 32GB which is right in line with the new iPad at 32GB. I agree it should be cheaper though considering i think the iPad is overpriced.
The iPad is currently the best tablet on the market and hardly overpriced for what it offers.

Now I feel a bit dirty for saying that, but it's the truth.

JaggedSac

The iPad is currently the best tablet on the market and hardly overpriced for what it offers.

Now I feel a bit dirty for saying that, but it's the truth.

Definitely is the truth.

Who in their right mind would buy an ASUS lower res, Windows RT tab over an iPad at the exact same price?

No one, that is the only answer.

MarkusRJR

What looks like a good affordable hybrid/laptop for taking university notes? I'm deciding between a Windows 8 device or a Macbook Air. Price is the only reason for me going with Windows 8 tbh, so what looks to be relatively affordable? How does the Windows 8 RT Surface seem so far?

What looks like a good affordable hybrid/laptop for taking university notes? I'm deciding between a Windows 8 device or a Macbook Air. Price is the only reason for me going with Windows 8 tbh, so what looks to be relatively affordable? How does the Windows 8 RT Surface seem so far?

Some tablet with Atom processor and a digitizer + Onenote seems the best combo...

But not sure about the affordable given those asus prices...

maeh2k

Definitely is the truth.

Who in their right mind would buy an ASUS lower res, Windows RT tab over an iPad at the exact same price?

Depends on how you use it. If you can plug in a big display, mouse, keyboard, it can become a pretty good PC replacement for a lot of people. Great for creating big Office documents or browsing the web. Might also make it really interesting for school work.

Would have wished for 400$ or at least 500$, though.

MarkusRJR

Some tablet with Atom processor and a digitizer + Onenote seems the best combo...

But not sure about the affordable given those asus prices...
Tablet? I'd need a keyboard to competently take notes. I type faster than I write so a nice keyboard would be good. I was thinking of getting the Surface with Windows RT but I don't know how well it'll stand on the super small uni tables (as it needs the fold out stand). I can barely fit a netbook on them so I'm not sure.

Tablet? I'd need a keyboard to competently take notes. I type faster than I write so a nice keyboard would be good. I was thinking of getting the Surface with Windows RT but I don't know how well it'll stand on the super small uni tables (as it needs the fold out stand). I can barely fit a netbook on them so I'm not sure.

The Asus Tab has a dock, you could type, and if needed, use the pen to draw on top of your notes (onenote is that good :p)

But so far that's a 1,000 dollar combo, kinda overpriced for the hardware, imo...

maeh2k

For some of the Atom devices there are keyboard docks available that basically turn them into Ultrabooks. Of course those aren't cheap and not as fast as real Ultrabooks such as the Air. However, pens are pretty great for taking notes (e.g. drawing graphics).

tino

Banned
LOL at the Asus RT price. It's $100 more than the Transformer. So its true MS is charging 80 bucks for the license. I hope Asus accnounce a lower rec Transformer soon becuase they are going to need to reflash the RT tablet with Android.

Also the Atom tablet is like 300 more than the Acer price.

LOL at the Asus RT price. It's $100 more than the Transformer. So its true MS is charging 80 bucks for the license. I hope Asus accnounce a lower rec Transformer soon becuase they are going to need to reflash the RT tablet with Android.

The problem is that the Acer one has no digitizer :/

Their dock seems incredible, though...

Definitely is the truth.

But Windows RT is fast and fluid and modern. iOS has crappy outdated skeuomorphism. Only Windows RT has true multitasking. Windows RT is a true PC that you can use to be productive, iPad is just a child's toy. Windows has been around for decades, it's proven technology. iPad is still baby, who knows if it will stand the test of time.

popeutlal

Asus also announced their latest shitty Android tablet at $600, but it was later sold at $500. Well lets see what Samsung prices their hardware.

Totakeke

Yup, had a feeling this would happen. OEMs rather keep their margins per unit high rather than go in and rake that marketshare.

But Windows RT is fast and fluid and modern. iOS has crappy outdated skeuomorphism. Only Windows RT has true multitasking. Windows RT is a true PC that you can use to be productive, iPad is just a child's toy. Windows has been around for decades, it's proven technology. iPad is still baby, who knows if it will stand the test of time.

Here's an example of trying to sound smart but failing by getting the facts wrong.

tino

Banned
Asus also announced their latest shitty Android tablet at $600, but it was later sold at $500. Well lets see what Samsung prices their hardware.

Actually for the Android tablet its $500 for 32gb and $600 for 64gb. And the RT table is 32gb with a worse screen. So basically $100 more expensive than the Android twin and the keyboard is also $50 more than the Transform keyboard.

Sent to die total.

Ok at this point, I will need to buy a new system next month when W8 launches.

I want this:

- Pen (im no artist or anything, but scribbling away would be fun)
- Hybrid / Convertible formfactor
- Be able to play Team Fortress 2

I will use the system as my day-to-day main device, as I only need to use office, browse the net and now-and-then play a round of team fortress 2.

I really have no idea, what will be the best solution for me. Probably the surface pro, but that is so far away. Will atom chips be enough, or do i need to buy ivy bridge? I think w510 looks fantastic, but i am not sure about acer (and its power) and it has no pen.

Windu

Ok at this point, I will need to buy a new system next month when W8 launches.

I want this:

- Pen
- Hybrid / Convertible formfactor
- Be able to play Team Fortress 2

I will use the system as my day-to-day main device, as I only need to use office, browse the net and now-and-then play a round of team fortress 2.

I really have no idea, what will be the best solution for me. Probably the surface pro, but that is so far away. Will atom chips be enough, or do i need to buy ivy bridge? I think w510 looks fantastic, but i am not sure about acer (and its power).
Acer iconia w700 I think has good support for pen and I think will be able to play TF2, don't think it has a keyboard attachment though.

I honestly don't know if the atoms will play TF2 though.

maeh2k

Acer iconia w700 I think has good support for pen and I think will be able to play TF2, don't think it has a keyboard attachment though.

I don't think the W700 has pen support. They just have the non-keyboard dock.

w700 looks great, but for thesis papers i need a detachable keyboard. i do not comprehend acers thinking there.

I also think an i3 vaio duo 11 would be great, but that might be a bit heavy with the integrated keyboard and everything

jonremedy

whats the price of the acer w510?

Top Bottom