• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

eastmen

Banned
As someone who is interested in pro tablet, I am very interested in RT mode. I don't plan to use x86 apps when light weight and touch friendly RT app is available to use on my new touchy feel~y slate. It matters. It's the thing that makes the entire approach that MS is using valid.
wtf is RT mode . Windows 8 pro tablets will never run in some RT mode that your making up. They will allways run native x86/64 apps.

You might want to use tablet apps all the time , but i'm looking at a laptop replacement and i will certianly be using heavy duty programs often esp the games since traditional tablet games are poor

Pray tell, which one would that be? lol
You'll know soon enough

20~33% difference in weight isn't significant? And battery life difference will be even more dramatic.

Not to me , the diffrence between 1.5 and 2lbs doesn't affect me . Battery life diffrence remains to be seen. Even if the atom uses less power which i'm sure it will , it may not matter as the batterys can also be smaller . Also if an atom tablet takes twice as long to do what i need as a i5 tablet then the longer battery life is moot.

wtf is RT mode . Windows 8 pro tablets will never run in some RT mode that your making up. They will allways run native x86/64 apps.

You might want to use tablet apps all the time , but i'm looking at a laptop replacement and i will certianly be using heavy duty programs often esp the games since traditional tablet games are poor

You truly have a talent for being obtuse. You know exactly what I meant by RT mode. And you also know full well that I don't intend to use RT apps only. You are a tool when you attempt to argue.

You'll know soon enough

Can't wait, lol.

Not to me , the diffrence between 1.5 and 2lbs doesn't affect me . Battery life diffrence remains to be seen. Even if the atom uses less power which i'm sure it will , it may not matter as the batterys can also be smaller . Also if an atom tablet takes twice as long to do what i need as a i5 tablet then the longer battery life is moot.

It seems that your whole argument is just all about you you you. And it should be fairly obvious by now that the rest of don't care care care about your wacky narrow viewpoint.

Totakeke

Clover Trail Press Release

Intel said:
The Intel Atom Processor Z2760 allows for the thinnest, lightest tablets built on Intel® architecture -- as thin as 8.5mm and as light as 1 1/2 pounds. The technology also provides long battery life (over 10 hours2 of local HD video playback) and over 3 weeks of standby time. One-tap Near Field Communication (NFC) allows proximity pairing between the tablet and other NFC-enabled mobile devices. The technology package also includes support for an advanced HD camera (up to 8MP) as well as Wi-Fi*, 3G WWAN, and 4G LTE* WWAN.

Key features and capabilities of the Intel Atom Processor Z2760 are summarized below:

• High-Performance Dual-Core Processor – The Intel Atom processor Z2760 is a dual-core, four-thread, up to 1.80 GHz processor featuring Intel® Burst Technology and Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology.1

• Intel® Burst Technology – Enables the processor to dynamically burst to higher performance, making it possible to provide on-demand, higher performance in small device form factors.

• Intel Hyper-Threading Technology – Intel Hyper-Threading Technology provides performance and support for multi-threaded applications, helping to deliver increased performance and system responsiveness in today's multitasking environments by enabling the processor to execute two instruction threads in parallel.

• System-on-Chip (SoC) Process Technology – The Intel Atom Processor Z2760 uses 32nm process technology with second-generation high-k metal gate transistors.

• Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator – Integrated graphics with up to 533 MHz graphics core frequency and hardware acceleration support for 1080p video encode and decode.

• Internal/External Display – Support for one internal MIPI-DSI or LVDS display in additional to one external HDMI* 1.3 display.

• Integrated Memory Controller and LPDDR2 Support – An integrated 32-bit dual-channel memory controller offers fast memory read/write performance through efficient pre-fetching algorithms, low latency and high memory bandwidth. The Intel Atom Processor Z2760 includes support for LPDDR2, 800 MT/s data rates, up to 2 GB.

• Storage – Embedded Multimedia Card 4.41 (eMMC 4.41).

• Power Management – Uses low power idle standby states (S0ix) to support Microsoft* Connected Standby.

• Camera and Image Signal Processor (ISP) – Integrated ISP with support for a primary HD camera (up to 8MP) and secondary camera (up to 2.1MP).

• Security – Secure Boot, with firmware-based Intel Platform Trust Technology (fTPM).

• I/Os – GPIOs, USB 2.0, I2C, UART, SPI, SDIO 2.0, MIPI* DSI and MIPI* CSI.

• Compact Co-PoP Package – A compact 14mm x 14mm design with support for LPDDR2 customer-owned package on package.

• Platform Sensors – Support for GPS, accelerometer / compass combination, hardware sensor hub, ALS, SARS, and proximity and thermal sensors.

(1. Available on select Intel® Atom™ and Intel® Core™ processors. Requires an Intel® HT Technology-enabled system. Consult your PC manufacturer. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software used. For more information including details on which processors support HT Technology, visit intel.com/info/hyperthreading.)

(2. Battery life claim of over 10 hours of local HD playback is based on power measurements on a 10" Intel reference design at 200 nits with WiFi on and a 30 Whr battery.)

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/27/intel-clover-trail-details/

So which of them has 3G/4G support?

Damn... Those atom tablets are looking seriously impressive... Almost too good to be true (And next year is looking like a nerd wet dream)

I wonder how the new atoms would compare to a first gen core i3...

Here's the HP one http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/01/hp-elitepad-900-windows-8-tablet-announced/

It's 16:10, but apparently only has a resolution of 1280x800, which would mean that it can't snap a second app to the side. Seems like a really dumb move... should have been 1440x900.

I swear... There's always a catch! This seemed perfect, until the dumb ass resolution :(

lol wtf. how dumb can they be.

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the tablet requirements clearly say min. 1366 x 768.

7OATo.png

tino

Banned
This is the best announced atom tablet so far.

* Same spec as Lenovo Tablet 2
* but with a 16:10 instead of 16:9 screen
* orientation lock
* pen
* A keyboard that has full SD slot
* A separate power jacket that's basically a giant battery for flights

Go watch the engadget video.

This and the Acer w510 are clearly in the lead IMO. I will wait for the accessory price to decide with one I want.

* pen

This and the Acer w510 are clearly in the lead IMO. I will wait for the accessory price to decide with one I want.

If the 1280x800 resolution is true, then it means you can't have two metro apps running side-by-side.

Also, worthless without a price.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

* pen

It's kind of ugly though. I hate HP's design. Going to go with the Surface Pro, I think. Just wish they'd announce the price and ship date.

tino

Banned
If the 1280x800 resolution is true, then it means you can't have two metro apps running side-by-side.

Also, worthless without a price.

I am sure somebody will hack in a fix.

All I care is I can dualboot Android and run Photoshop in W8. Can't think of any reason why I want metro apps.

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the tablet requirements clearly say min. 1366 x 768.

You are not wrong, but IIRC, those requirements are only deal breakers for WinRT tablets, Ms won't even license Wrt to tablet which doesn't meet those requirements...

For x86 ones they will license, but won't give the W8 certification.

* orientation lock
* pen

But the 1280x800 negates all that because side docking metro apps is the most amazing thing metro has to offer compared to other tablet OSes, and one feature that's is incredibily to use on a desktop.

I am sure somebody will hack in a fix.

All I care is I can dualboot Android and run Photoshop in W8. Can't think of any reason why I want metro apps.

Sorry, but you won't be able to dualboot android on this one. The Clovertrail atom was designed around W8 and is incompatible with any other OS.

Also, even if it's hacked, there's no guarantee it will be useful, because apps are design to meet a certain minimum res, and who knows how crippled the app UI might become if your force to run at a resolution it wasn't supposed to.

maeh2k

Acer S7 US prices out. 1199$ for 11.6" and 1399$ for 13.3".
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/2/3442716/acer-aspire-s7-windows-8-touchscreen-ultrabook-price-availability

If OEMs don't start pricing Windows 8 tablets and laptops at prices at which people would actually buy them, I don't think they'll sell a lot of them.

Was hoping for 1199$ for the 13.3". The price is still justifiable as it looks like a great device and with its touch screen might be worth a premium over the zenbook prime. Still cheaper than the X1 Carbon, too.

I see that the Smart PC from samsung is listed as having 8 hour battery.

That is the tablet alone or when coupled with the keyboard?

If it's the tablet alone than it's actually not bad at all, specially for what's is inside it...

Izick

So...I bought a Macbook Air a few months ago, the piece of shit was defective, and then when I returned it and got another one, it was defective as well. I decided to hold off and check out the market for other laptops, and everyone on Gaf told me to wait for W8 laptablets. So what's the consensus on what's best? Even looking at the OP, I have no idea what to do.

Biggzy

I see that the Smart PC from samsung is listed as having 8 hour battery.

That is the tablet alone or when coupled with the keyboard?

If it's the tablet alone than it's actually not bad at all, specially for what's is inside it...

It's for the tablet alone.

tino

Banned
Acer S7 US prices out. 1199$ for 11.6" and 1399$ for 13.3".
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/2/3442716/acer-aspire-s7-windows-8-touchscreen-ultrabook-price-availability

If OEMs don't start pricing Windows 8 tablets and laptops at prices at which people would actually buy them, I don't think they'll sell a lot of them.

Was hoping for 1199$ for the 13.3". The price is still justifiable as it looks like a great device and with its touch screen might be worth a premium over the zenbook prime. Still cheaper than the X1 Carbon, too.

Really sexy notebook. My only problem, why is it not called "S8".

jonremedy

So...I bought a Macbook Air a few months ago, the piece of shit was defective, and then when I returned it and got another one, it was defective as well. I decided to hold off and check out the market for other laptops, and everyone on Gaf told me to wait for W8 laptablets. So what's the consensus on what's best? Even looking at the OP, I have no idea what to do.

If it's to compete with a Macbook Air, I'd certainly go for an Ivy Bridge-based tablet...

It's for the tablet alone.

But it's not on heavy usage, right? If it really can deliver that kind of battery life on a real world usage scenario than haswell tablets with less consumption and improved performance, are going to be freaking amazing.

No wonder Otellini complained and said that Windows 8 is coming too early. Intel can't get their shit (aka drivers) together.

Intel Corp. (INTC)’s delayed delivery of software that conserves computer battery life is holding up development of some tablets running the latest version of Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)’s Windows operating system, a person with knowledge of the matter said.
Microsoft hasn’t yet approved any tablets featuring an Intel processor code-named Clover Trail because the chipmaker hasn’t produced necessary power-management software, said the person, who asked not to be named since the process is private.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-alliance-weakens-tablet-challenge-looms.html

Biggzy

But it's not on heavy usage, right? If it really can deliver that kind of battery life on a real world usage scenario than haswell tablets with less consumption and improved performance, are going to be freaking amazing.

We don't know because it hasn't been released yet. This is Samsung's estimation, so I would bet that the quoted battery life is not for heavy usage.

tino

Banned
This price is the same as the original suggested price back in Computex. Maybe the w510 will be 499 without the keyboard.

Every fucking one is holding out on their US price announcement until the Surface RT price point drop.

I guess I'll have to wait for launch and benchmarks to see what is most important to me. Weight, Pen, Power.. I still dont know. All I know is, if Microsoft comes out and says "Hey surface pro for 799 in January" everything will feel meh.

jonremedy

This price is the same as the original suggested price back in Computex. Maybe the w510 will be 499 without the keyboard.

Every fucking one is holding out on their US price announcement until the Surface RT price point drop.

W510 for 600 with keyboard dock would be sweet. Definitely in for that price.

Great thread - been looking to replace my netbook and a tablet with keyboard. Bookmarked.

At the moment I’m looking towards the Samsung Ativ/Slate 5 with keyboard. For me, I need:

- Great battery life (anything over 7 hours or can last a long haul flight)
- Decent price (under £750 is ideal, which even with Rip-off Britain prices Slate 5 should be under this)
- Large HDD (anything around 125GB)
- Good keyboard (the jury is out on this until I get to try it, but as I write for a living this is a make or break thing)
- Compatibility with most of my old Windows software
- Nothing too weighty or large (anything too much heavier or much larger than my Samsung NC10 is out)
- Things like the pen are a nice bonus

If you guys know of anything else which fits this criteria, shout out. I don't really need anything too powerful, and to be honest, if it's more powerful than my NC10 - and pretty much all of the devices are - then I'm happy. I’m open to anything, but right now it seems Slate 5 (keyboard quality notwithstanding) may be ‘it’...

maeh2k

W510 for 600 with keyboard dock would be sweet. Definitely in for that price.

According to the first reports of the pricing in New Zealand, I wouldn't expect that price to include the dock. The dock is presumably another 100 to 150 dollars.

I have no idea how chips work, but clover trail is 1.8ghz dual core and the i3 in the w700 is also 1.80ghz dual core. Where do the chips differ besides one being much cooler?

Top Bottom