• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Yep! Combine with downloading maps for offline use before going on your trip and it's gold. I used it when I did a day trip to Vancouver and it was nice - didn't have to use any data, still had full POI information, navigation, etc.
Yup there are plenty of times it has come in handy for me. The only thing I really dislike about Here maps is they still do not have the ability to view other routes or detours, at least I haven't managed to find one. It's very close to the exact same experience as the N9's maps app, which is 3 years old now.

Zzoram

You would hope that the 730 will be that phone. Including a 720p screen.

They've made some very, very strange choices in the last 12 months, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

A 730 or 735 might be what I need to jump in.

They need something between the ~$170 Lumia 635 and the $599 Lumia 930 if they're serious about competing in the midrange.

Oh man I'm starting to get really nervous about whether or not I should upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 once it comes out. I mean Cortana sounds cool and all, but I'm perfectly happy right now with my phone and it doesn't have a Halo girl talking to me. On the other hand, I do listen to music and podcasts on my phone every day, and the music app in 8.0 is tolerable to OK. To hear that it's actually worse in 8.1 is just mind boggling. Even though I'm usually really into having the latest version and updating as soon as possible, I'm actually leaning towards not updating at this point...

hwalker84

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/22/5928219/microsoft-will-merge-windows-into-one-os

Windows Phone to reset again.... Joking
Probably not though

jamesvanderbeek_0.gif

KageMaru

Oh man I'm starting to get really nervous about whether or not I should upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 once it comes out. I mean Cortana sounds cool and all, but I'm perfectly happy right now with my phone and it doesn't have a Halo girl talking to me. On the other hand, I do listen to music and podcasts on my phone every day, and the music app in 8.0 is tolerable to OK. To hear that it's actually worse in 8.1 is just mind boggling. Even though I'm usually really into having the latest version and updating as soon as possible, I'm actually leaning towards not updating at this point...

What phone do you have? If it's a Lumia, I would update. The music app is ok, it's not the shit app it was at the launch of the preview.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/22/5928219/microsoft-will-merge-windows-into-one-os

Windows Phone to reset again.... Joking
Probably not though

jamesvanderbeek_0.gif

The thread for this news is ugly. I thought it was known this is the direction they were going with threshold.

Zzoram

Supposedly Windows 8 phones will be upgrade able to Windows 9. That's probably for the best, the built-in install base will help developers adjust.

Tablo

Microsoft gets a shitton of hate, this is a good move though. People don't realize the UI can be tuned to each form factor, while sharing a lot under the hood...

Obviously execution is a concern, but in theory this is good and logical.

hadareud

The Translator
It's essentially the same phone with a smaller screen.

Their numbering system is getting more confusing, they have to do something about that.

The good news is that they now have two ridiculously cheap phones that should sell very well.

Zzoram

So the difference between the Lumia 630/635 and 530 are Snapdragon S400 quad core vs S200 quad core, 4.5" screen vs 4" screen and 8GB storage vs 4GB storage. Everything else looks the same. The 630/635 costs $139-168 now so the 530 will likely cost $99-129.

Now if they release a 730 that's a 635 with a 720p screen, 1GB of RAM and a front facing camera for ~$249, I'm in.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't even want to know what the fuck it's going to happen when they move their now canned Nokia X devices to the Lumia family of products.

hwalker84

I don't get it, isn't this exactly what they've started with universal apps? Feels more like he's talking about branding, and then having Universal apps run on all screensizes. Nothing new, no doom and gloom, it's nothing but positive actually.

I know this was already known news. What I meant is that Microsoft will probably start over with some of our basic apps and make them even worse.

PG2G

The Lunia 630 it's already $99 here, be interesting to see where the 530 falls. Could end up in the $50-60 range without discounts?

KageMaru

Why are MS releasing so many 512mb phones? Seems pointless, should be 1gb at the absolute minimum...

Was thinking the same. With so many apps and games that don't support 512MB devices, it could lead to a frustrating experience for new customers. I know budget phone buyers aren't usually huge spenders or content consumers, but you want to leave the option open for your customers.

I know this was already known news. What I meant is that Microsoft will probably start over with some of our basic apps and make them even worse.

I think (er...hope) these development pains we're seeing now is to allow for greater flexibility and compatibility with the future of the OS. Previously these features were tied to the OS. Now that they are stand alone apps, they should be able to update them without the need to reboot again.

JaggedSac

Was thinking the same. With so many apps and games that don't support 512MB devices, it could lead to a frustrating experience for new customers. I know budget phone buyers aren't usually huge spenders or content consumers, but you want to leave the option open for your customers.

If devs were wise, they would go where the people are(yeah, yeah, iOS or Android), and that would be 512mb phones.

PG2G

Why are MS releasing so many 512mb phones? Seems pointless, should be 1gb at the absolute minimum...

Because they are low end devices and the OS doesn't need 1GB to run. The goal is to get the prices to the bottom as quickly as possible. It's probably the only way WP will see success. You can't do that with stuff like 1GB and FFC.

There will be 1GB phones but I think Microsoft actually has the right priorities here. Just 3 months ago the 520 was "dead" because of the Moto E. Now they have competitive devices again

hadareud

The Translator
They now have a phone to compete in the price range of the Moto E (630) and one that is even below that (530).

Considering the 520 was similarly priced as the Moto G, I wonder whether a potential 730 will be the phone to compete in that price range.

They will have the low cost market completely covered then.

Because they are low end devices and the OS doesn't need 1GB to run. The goal is to get the prices to the bottom as quickly as possible. It's probably the only way WP will see success. You can't do that with stuff like 1GB and FFC.

There will be 1GB phones but I think Microsoft actually has the right priorities here. Just 3 months ago the 520 was "dead" because of the Moto E. Now they have competitive devices again

This is the post where I like to remind everyone that Nokia tried to sell a WVGA, 512 MB RAM phone for 299 back in mid-2013.

Raistlin

what's with MS and media players
I'd love to know.

I haven't actually used the regular media player yet, but from everything I've read I shouldn't expect it to be any better than the podcast app :\

What's so annoying is that it was fine before.

Raistlin

MS is terribly bad at anything not named Windows and Office, I mean what app have they ever made not these two that people like and want to use?
That's really not true though.

While not necessarily the best, their WP7 - WP8 media player was pretty good. Missing some features, but it was good looking, had a decent UI, and was quite performant. Also the podcast portion of it was arguably one of the best out there in terms of usability.

It just seems crazy that they basically broke all of it. Same thing happened with their phone desktop software. Zune was actually pretty good. The replacement? Hot ass.

So the difference between the Lumia 630/635 and 530 are Snapdragon S400 quad core vs S200 quad core, 4.5" screen vs 4" screen and 8GB storage vs 4GB storage. Everything else looks the same. The 630/635 costs $139-168 now so the 530 will likely cost $99-129.

Now if they release a 730 that's a 635 with a 720p screen, 1GB of RAM and a front facing camera for ~$249, I'm in.
It's really weird that the 6xx series has entrants with 512MB RAM, while the 525 has 1GB. Then to make things more confusing, the 530 also goes back to 512MB.

They should really come up with a more logical classification. ie. 512MB only in the 5xx series ... 6xx has 1GB, but is other wise entry level for the most part ... etc.

Top Bottom