• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

So I've got a Verizon Nokia Icon, and I see that the Cyan update includes 8.1. I'm currently on the Dev Preview, but really want an official update. Is there a way to bypass Verizon and just install it?

KageMaru

So I've got a Verizon Nokia Icon, and I see that the Cyan update includes 8.1. I'm currently on the Dev Preview, but really want an official update. Is there a way to bypass Verizon and just install it?

Unfortunately not =(

In case you missed my previous post, they did release a firmware update for the Icon though.

Well, I'm glad that Joe stepped in to clear that up. I don't use Xbox Music much, although I do subscribe to it so I have a legal way of downloading most of my music if the need arises. I'd be saddened if Xbox Video went away considering how I have decided to pull the switch and go all digital with my Movie and TV show collection and it wouldn't be fun to lose/be able to add more to my library in the future.

Joe himself is to blame for the Xbox Music app? Great!
73lwMmi.jpg

PG2G

Okay phew. Now just reach fucking feature parity with the WP7 zune app smfh
Wireless music sync? making playlists ON MY FUCKING PHONE?
damn. makes a grown man cry :'(

Wireless sync is never coming back, there is nothing to sync to. That's what the cloud is for.

hadareud

The Translator
Their onedrive/music integration has to be a lot stronger than it currently is for the cloud to replace wireless syncing.

If you can't sync your own obscure stuff that isn't in the xbox music store it's sort of useless for anyone with a decent music collection.

Touch screen is becoming unresponsive and requires a soft reset pretty regularly on my 920.

As more time passes without any news of new ATT devices that 1520.3 is looking sweeter and sweeter.

Speaking of which, ATT 8.1/cyan is apparently a go on the 1520 now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Speaking of which, ATT 8.1/cyan is apparently a go on the 1520 now.

For real? I want to give this a go with the proper firmware. I hope Performance is markedly improved from the beta. Also, I miss the camera on my 1020. I think if that gets cyan and performance/battery life are improved, I would jump back.

For real? I want to give this a go with the proper firmware. I hope Performance is markedly improved from the beta. Also, I miss the camera on my 1020. I think if that gets cyan and performance/battery life are improved, I would jump back.
Here's hoping the 1020's shot to shot performance improves. Otherwise I'm selling it, using my 520, and probably buy a next gen WP.

Tablo

Unless we're talking about different things, you can manage playlists on your phone.

I'm on 8.0 Lumia Black, I don't have a Xbox Music sub so I can only use the normal music app. I don't see any option for playlists, unless I'm missing something. Normally it'd be great if I can select a song and add to a playlist, it could prompt me to make a new one, etc like most devices.
If only the paid Xbox Music app has it that's dumb as all hell.

Tablo

Wireless sync is never coming back, there is nothing to sync to. That's what the cloud is for.
But only if you have a Xbox Music subscription right? Then you just manage all ur stuff within xbox music and it syncs, but I don't need the sub, so I don't get that lol.

PG2G

But only if you have a Xbox Music subscription right? Then you just manage all ur stuff within xbox music and it syncs, but I don't need the sub, so I don't get that lol.

There will be some Xbox Music/OneDrive integration soon. Dont know if it behind Xbox Music pay wall, hope not

stktt

Banned
I'm on 8.0 Lumia Black, I don't have a Xbox Music sub so I can only use the normal music app. I don't see any option for playlists, unless I'm missing something. Normally it'd be great if I can select a song and add to a playlist, it could prompt me to make a new one, etc like most devices.
If only the paid Xbox Music app has it that's dumb as all hell.

Yeah, it was only added in 8.1. That alone makes the new app an improvement for me.

Tablo

There will be some Xbox Music/OneDrive integration soon. Dont know if it behind Xbox Music pay wall, hope not
Yeah I read about that, that would be baller. But it probably won't apply to anything other than mp3/m4a/aac I'm guessing for streaming thru OneDrive. I do have a lot of FLAC stuff I'd like to add to my OneDrive, I have like 900GB free, might as well use it.
Yeah, it was only added in 8.1. That alone makes the new app an improvement for me.
That's what I thought, finally damn.

Uuuugh I've got the 8.1 update just sitting there ready to download taunting me. Someone talk me through just how bad Xbox music is on 8.1. Am I right on these? Missing anything?

no live tile
artist images added with MPAtool don't work
pauses between tracks when playing
now loading when opening up the app or switching to it
local music files won't show up

syncing and playlists I don't use and don't care about. But if all of the above are true then goddamnit how do you fuck up that much

Uuuugh I've got the 8.1 update just sitting there ready to download taunting me. Someone talk me through just how bad Xbox music is on 8.1. Am I right on these? Missing anything?

no live tile

syncing and playlists I don't use and don't care about. But if all of the above are true then goddamnit how do you fuck up that much

Local music will definitely work, it's the only thing I'm playing.

Can I dream about a 1030 phone with a better processor (both performance and battery efficiency) for taking pics faster and with some minimal optical zoom (just enough so some extreme closeups are possible)?

Totakeke

I was going to post this on the gaming side then I imagined all the snarky responses so I just gave up.

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-helps-launch-free-web-based-version-catan-board-game

Microsoft's Internet Explorer team has announced it has helped to launch a free web-based version of the classic board game Settlers of Catan called Catan Anytime. The game was made in collaboration with Catan, Mayfair Games and Bontom Games.

Microsoft states the game was made using the latest HTML5 web coding standards combined with built-in chat and access to Microsoft's own Skype messenger along with Twitter: It added:

Internet Explorer truly believes in the open and interoperable web, and therefore we focused on delivering a game that simply works on the web without bias of what device, OS or browser players' choose to use. Together we created a game that is light and renders easily on devices ranging from smartphones to PCs and anything in between.

mulac

Well, after just 1 week with the 930 I am 100% a convert. This phone is downright beautiful and is by far more "premium" feeling than any other phone I've owned.

The WP OS is actually pretty robust I've found - i never experienced Win 8 so all I can say is WP8.1 has (sofar) met all my needs. Apps are fine; the only one pissing me off that's missing is a Garmin Connect to track my running.

If you can afford the hefty AUD$700 price then grab the Lumia 930 and take a leap of faith with WP :)

hadareud

The Translator
I still don't know what Twitch is or does.

It's basically just people streaming themselves playing video games, right?

I still don't know what Twitch is or does.

It's basically just people streaming themselves playing video games, right?

Yes and no. It's people streaming themselves playing video games, but no one cares about people. What's popular is "personalities" streaming themselves playing video games. Basically all these Lets Play idiots from YouTube, but live. I couldn't care less about it and I really don't get why it's popular. It's dumb and so is everyone who watches that shit. It's self made reality TV and there's 0 value to it. Fuck that shit.

Sorry, I'm not in a good mood.

Barmaley

Neo Member
I've read that the Nokia 930 has some problems with heat, in tests going up to 49°.
Of course the daily use won't drive it to the edge like that, but I wonder what the experience has been for the most users.
I had the same problem for the first few months with my samsung omnia 7, where it turned into hot iron, but that was apparently fixed with some latter update. Nowadays it gets barely warm.

I've read that the Nokia 930 has some problems with heat, in tests going up to 49°.
Of course the daily use won't drive it to the edge like that, but I wonder what the experience has been for the most users.
I had the same problem for the first few months with my samsung omnia 7, where it turned into hot iron, but that was apparently fixed with some latter update. Nowadays it gets barely warm.
Got it for a week or two now. Yes, it gets hot when browsing the internet for a while. Didn't really bother me that much, but it's definitly getting hotter then other phones I've used (HTC Android phones and Nokia Lumia 800).

hadareud

The Translator
Yes and no. It's people streaming themselves playing video games, but no one cares about people. What's popular is "personalities" streaming themselves playing video games. Basically all these Lets Play idiots from YouTube, but live. I couldn't care less about it and I really don't get why it's popular. It's dumb and so is everyone who watches that shit. It's self made reality TV and there's 0 value to it. Fuck that shit.

Right, that's what I thought, thanks.

I literally haven't the slightest clue why anyone would want to watch anyone else playing video games. I can't even watch those "first 10 minutes" things because I find it so bloody boring.

As for "personalities", fuck them.

But you're spitting out truths, no need to aplogize :)

I kinda hate apps. I don't see the use of 99% of them. And the 1% I want (banking app, Sonos app) do not exist on WP.

hadareud

The Translator
ITT we hate things that aren't on the Windows Phone platform.

What does that have to do with Windows Phone?

Personality, like character in sport, is just another word for complete and utter wanker in 99 % of the cases.

If someone says "he's such a character" about a footballer, you know immediately it means that the guy is a "such a cunt". The same is true with internet personalities.

To add some WP relevance, if someone cannot wait until they reach a computer or tablet to watch other people play a video game, I don't know what to say.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

no live tile

How about Mixradio for your local music? Seems to behave better with metadata

Top Bottom