• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Raistlin

This is the most baffling thing.

They had a good thing and they straight up shitbinned it. And now that it's bad is not even at the same level as it was? What the hell.

yup :\

I get that they wanted to break it out of the OS so they can update it more often ... but that shouldn't be done until it at least matches the previous rev in functionality and performance. Then you can worry about adding more features.

Poor software planning/management :\

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
yup :\

I get that they wanted to break it out of the OS so they can update it more often ... but that shouldn't be done until it at least matches the previous rev in functionality and performance. Then you can worry about adding more features.

Poor software planning/management :\

I think the most idiotic thing they made in that regard was to enterely trash the Zune software for PC. I get that Zune was discontinued, but at very least they could have kept the syncronization options in the new software instead of releasing that barebones POS tool that is useful to nobody.

Edit: And tagging/managing large amounts of music is still an ordeal. So many duplicated artists/albums.

Raistlin

I think the most idiotic thing they made in that regard was to enterely trash the Zune software for PC. I get that Zune was discontinued, but at very least they could have kept the syncronization options in the new software instead of releasing that barebones POS tool that is useful to nobody.

Edit: And tagging/managing large amounts of music is still an ordeal. So many duplicated artists/albums.
Yup.

They could have renamed the software and at least offered the same functionality as a starting point.

KageMaru

Edit:

Has anyone else been having random WiFi issues with 8.1? The company I work for takes up 5 floors, each with WiFi throughout the floor. Sometimes when I move between the floors, my WiFi is set to "limited" forcing me to turn off/on wifi to fix it. I sometimes need to restart the phone to get it to work properly. Same issue sometimes happens when I come home and connect to my home wifi. Using an Icon btw.

Also, I'd like to reiterate how much the cursor sucks ass in 8.1. Again, making this post was much more frustrating than it needed to be.

If devs were wise, they would go where the people are(yeah, yeah, iOS or Android), and that would be 512mb phones.

It's not about devs being wise, it's about what is efficient and possible. Devs want their apps in the store as soon as possible to bring in some revenue. So even if compatibility with 512MB devices is planned, there have been many times an app has launched before this optimization has been made. It's easier to get an app running properly on a 1GB device, so release for those devices first and expand to 512MB devices if possible. Problem is it's not always possible to optimize your app for 512MB phones, so the dev may have wasted time optimizing for nothing. In either scenario, it's frustrating for the user. They have to wait for the app, while everyone else is able to use it, or they never receive the app.

Sure, it can said that people should do this kind of research when buying a phone. While true, the types of people to go for a budget phone are the least likely to do this kind of research IMO. So we have people going in blind and having a sub-par experience, which hurts any chance MS has to keep them when it's time to upgrade again.

MS should be doing what they can do to ensure the users have the best, most consistent experience possible. I understand this phone was likely final (or close) by the time MS took over. I just hope they do better with this going forward.

Because they are low end devices and the OS doesn't need 1GB to run. The goal is to get the prices to the bottom as quickly as possible. It's probably the only way WP will see success. You can't do that with stuff like 1GB and FFC.

There will be 1GB phones but I think Microsoft actually has the right priorities here. Just 3 months ago the 520 was "dead" because of the Moto E. Now they have competitive devices again

FFC, I understand. However I find it hard to believe that an additional 512MB of memory would hike the price up in any major way.

As smooth and fast the Xbox Music app on Android is, I can't believe they haven't implemented a fucking scrubber.

I really feel like screaming at that team. Just what the flying fuck is wrong with them. What the fucking fuck fuck! I literally can't believe this shit. Seriously, it's too much. It's like everyone there uses iTunes and their iPod touch to listen to music and never touched the Xbox Music app on any platform after compiling that piece of shit.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't know if you guys agree, but I think that the Xbox music app really isn't that good.

I think they probably could have done a better job with it.

I have a Lumia 928 and the other day it started doing something weird. I can hear my ringtone and all notification sounds but no other sounds. I don't hear the camera shutter, or when I lock the screen, I cant listen to music without headphones, and I cant hear the other person when I make calls. I have tried to search this online but I haven't found anything. I did a factory reset but that didn't fix anything. Does anyone have any ideas? My cell phone is my only phone so I don't want to send it back to Nokia for repairs.

KageMaru

I have a Lumia 928 and the other day it started doing something weird. I can hear my ringtone and all notification sounds but no other sounds. I don't hear the camera shutter, or when I lock the screen, I cant listen to music without headphones, and I cant hear the other person when I make calls. I have tried to search this online but I haven't found anything. I did a factory reset but that didn't fix anything. Does anyone have any ideas? My cell phone is my only phone so I don't want to send it back to Nokia for repairs.

You on 8.1? Sounds like you have the notifications sound up while the app/media volume is all the way down.

You on 8.1? Sounds like you have the notifications sound up while the app/media volume is all the way down.

Just checked and it says I am on 8.0, I was on 8.1 before I did the factory reset. I just checked up updates and it says that my phone is up to date. I don't know what to do know.

KageMaru

Don't think this was posted yet, some AT&T phones may receive the 8.1 update this week.

http://m.wpcentral.com/att-may-rollout-windows-phone-81-this-week

Just checked and it says I am on 8.0, I was on 8.1 before I did the factory reset. I just checked up updates and it says that my phone is up to date. I don't know what to do know.

Did you just use the reset my phone feature? That shouldn't have kicked you back to 8.0.

Not sure what could be causing the issue if you're on the older OS.

Don't think this was posted yet, some AT&T phones may receive the 8.1 update this week.

http://m.wpcentral.com/att-may-rollout-windows-phone-81-this-week

Did you just use the reset my phone feature? That shouldn't have kicked you back to 8.0.

Not sure what could be causing the issue if you're on the older OS.

Yes the reset my phone feture. It seems it didn't redownload the preview app, among other things, so I am downloading 8.1 now. Hopefully that fixes things. My phone has been really weird lately, it never seen the 5 wifi that I have, only the 2.4, even though my laptop and XB1 never have problems with the 5.

Ape

Banned
As smooth and fast the Xbox Music app on Android is, I can't believe they haven't implemented a fucking scrubber.

I really feel like screaming at that team. Just what the flying fuck is wrong with them. What the fucking fuck fuck! I literally can't believe this shit. Seriously, it's too much. It's like everyone there uses iTunes and their iPod touch to listen to music and never touched the Xbox Music app on any platform after compiling that piece of shit.

But focus group testing show us that scrubbers are only used by %15 percent of %10 of our target demo. If we dedicate resources on something like a scrubber that no one is asking for, we would be even slower to bring you must have features like loading screens.

Not sure if good news, but it seems we may not have to deal with Xbox Music for much longer:

http://www.wpcentral.com/is-microsoft-getting-out-xbox-music-and-video-business
Not sure if Satya's comments imply as much as articles about his comment on this seem to think, but if they shut down Xbox music/video as services I would be pretty disappointed. Seems like a service that's exactly was MS wants in the Satya era (multiplatform, potential high margin service based).

Totakeke

All phones can pretty much do that can't they? Anyway, I still don't want to lug a phone around, bands or not, when running outside.

Totakeke

If shutting down Xbox Music and Video means they make all the necessary APIs and we can get competent third party apps that, do not get worse with time, I'm all for it.

But then surely they can't shut it down with their Xbox positioning as a media device. Or maybe they're shutting down Xbox too, yay!

I'm really hoping the new 730/830 midrange phones include last gen's 8mp OIS camera from the 920 series. The unsubsidized structure of today's US carriers have got me turned off to buying another high end phone.

Tablo

I swear to god if they get rid of Xbox Music I'm gonna flip shits, at least rename it or merge it with MixRadio and don't lose content!

AFAIK Xbox Music has a fuckload of music content, doesn't get brand new stuff right away, but in the numbers game it has more than other streaming services IIRC.

The Flash

Banned
I swear to god if they get rid of Xbox Music I'm gonna flip shits, at least rename it or merge it with MixRadio and don't lose content!

AFAIK Xbox Music has a fuckload of music content, doesn't get brand new stuff right away, but in the numbers game it has more than other streaming services IIRC.

Relevant.

Don’t worry, no plan to drop Xbox Music/Video-- my team builds these key scenarios for tablets, phones, PCs! And Xbox team does on console.
https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/492014472991481856

In fact, we have one of our bigger/stronger Xbox Music updates just a couple weeks away…you're gonna like it. Perf, fixes and some features!
https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/492014612720517120

Not sure if Satya's comments imply as much as articles about his comment on this seem to think, but if they shut down Xbox music/video as services I would be pretty disappointed. Seems like a service that's exactly was MS wants in the Satya era (multiplatform, potential high margin service based).

José Mourinho;122311519 said:
Even if they bin the services, WP will still have the app for media playback, and it will still be garbage.

I love both services, and use them extensively too, but if Ms keeps on rebooting them and afterwards getting back to square one I'm not sure if it would be better to just be done with it.

By now we should have music uploads to onedrive on Xbox Music, Netflix like subscription for at least some content on Xbox Video, request content feature so we can tell what the music,tv show we really want them to have but it's not online, self publishing option on both services... Or other stuff that could drive those services forward, instead we waiting for them to get back at the same level they were before XD

Good to know them :p

On another note, I want to praise the Xbox team for their job on the Xbox Music app, other than background playing it's really good. Amazing interface, blazing fast and has movie clips! (which would be nice to have on other platforms too). It's perfect for when you have a few friends coming over, and want to have some ambient music around.

NeOak

On another note, I want to praise the Xbox team for their job on the Xbox Music app, other than background playing it's really good. Amazing interface, blazing fast and has movie clips! (which would be nice to have on other platforms too). It's perfect for when you have a few friends coming over, and want to have some ambient music around.

boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

Oh wait... You meant the console one. Woops lol

Uber Mobile is great and WP's ability to pin makes it every bit as good as an app. Still sucks for new users who don't know how to use the browser, search for an app in the store, then shit on the platform for not having their favorite app.

Sydle

Shutting Xbox music and video down would be idiotic.

I use Xbox Music every day, and I've built a small library of ~30 movies (and growing) in Xbox Video, so I would be incredibly upset if they shut down either one. Not enough to switch platforms to Google or Apple, but the trust would be gone and Microsoft wouldn't get my time or money for any future subscription services outside of Office and Live.

KageMaru

I use Xbox Music every day, and I've built a small library of ~30 movies (and growing) in Xbox Video, so I would be incredibly upset if they shut down either one. Not enough to switch platforms to Google or Apple, but the trust would be gone and Microsoft wouldn't get my time or money for any future subscription services outside of Office and Live.

Yeah, I continue to purchase my shows/movies on Xbox video because of how I can watch it at home or on the go, even if there are other options out there. I'd be very pissed if they dropped the service. Good thing Joe cleared that up.

Top Bottom