• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'm actually surprised by how many people are treating this like an actual release and are reacting in kind. I guess its still hard for some to remember that this is pre-release software and will be laden with issues.

That said, its pretty interesting that they're making everything so app driven which will no doubt prove to make the OS more easily extensible. I'm dying to find out just how much Windows Phone vs. WinRT this is under the hood; I really hope its leaning hard into RT territory because that would mean a much more uniformed experience deserving of the "Windows 10" moniker.

I feel like I'm the only person who wants to see the left-right cursor arrows on the virtual keyboard.

I actually like the colors with the new backgrounds quite a bit. Before, the only colors I would use were the blues, maybe the grey/silver, and red. Everything else was just a bit much for me.

Tile transparency gives you a lot more "options" when it comes to matching/coordinating, since you have a full background to contrast against. EDIT: Having said that, yeah, it sure wouldn't hurt to just have a vanilla "transparent" theme with no coloring.
I'm all about options so I don't want them to remove the colors. They're fine for those who want to use them. I just want a clean transparent theme for the start screen.

C'mon Joe. Give me my transparency!

I'm actually surprised by how many people are treating this like an actual release and are reacting in kind. I guess its still hard for some to remember that this is pre-release software and will be laden with issues.

That said, its pretty interesting that they're making everything so app driven which will no doubt prove to make the OS more easily extensible. I'm dying to find out just how much Windows Phone vs. WinRT this is under the hood; I really hope its leaning hard into RT territory because that would mean a much more uniformed experience deserving of the "Windows 10" moniker.

I feel like I'm the only person who wants to see the left-right cursor arrows on the virtual keyboard.

it's windows phone. That being said, the effort is to expand WinRT APIs, which affect desktop and WP. Part of why some stuff isn't working while other stuff is working is that Phone has different security constraints that the desktop does not have, which can make some APIs and scenarios more difficult to implement or light up. The shell also being completely different affects things quite a bit

Put it in Feedback! I'll add my vote to it.
I did yesterday when I saw one in there. I hope Joe is listening!

EDIT: Looks like the one I voted for yesterday was asking for the old tile background. I ended up sending in feedback in the Personalization and settings category under Start Screen.

Blackhead

Redarse

The new keyboard allows for up-down cursor control as well as left-right. It looks better than the Windows 8 tablet keyboard imo.

Aye, I'm surprised to see Windows Phone now so app driven. What happened to 'Hubs' :/

830 is a great phone but it's priced almost like a high-end phone when it is most definitely mid-range.

I love mine, FWIW. Its battery is amazing, too. Has the best battery life out of any WP I've owned (Focus, 520, 900, 920, 925), by far.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is there a consensus around these here parts on the best bang-for-buck off-contract Windows Phone?

Nope, I've been asking for a couple weeks now but every poster here is too nice to recommend a phone that will likely cause pain and regret. Good gaffers don't let other gaffers buy Windows phones apparently :p

but seriously though, which WP phone should I get...

KageMaru

Is there a consensus around these here parts on the best bang-for-buck off-contract Windows Phone?

Best bang for buck? Probably the 635 at $50:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LBFFSNM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That doesn't make it a great phone though IMO, just a good phone for the price.

Nope, I've been asking for a couple weeks now but every poster here is too nice to recommend a phone that will likely cause pain and regret. Good gaffers don't let other gaffers buy Windows phones apparently :p

but seriously though, which WP phone should I get...

The phone you should get will matter on what your budget and needs are. How much are you willing to spend? How large or good do you prefer the screen to be? Is camera performance very important to you? Did you want expandable storage?

derFeef

So, how will all the pages in the UI end up to look like?

The white pages that look like websites.
gZEeNvs.png

The black pages that look like android stuff with the small switches.

Or the old style.

?

Treo360

I'm installing wp10 on my 1520. Let the sacrifice begin. I've probably given all my info to a Chinese hacking group, but so be it.

Edit: damn you os data stitching

Dramos

So, how will all the pages in the UI end up to look like?

The white pages that look like websites.

The black pages that look like android stuff with the small switches.

Or the old style.

?

I don't care as long as they remain consistent. Personally, I like black and Windows Cyan. Perhaps they should give us choice between black and white? I don't know.

Global smartphone shipments: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=992393

35 million Lumias in 2014.
50 million Windows Phones out of 2.2 billion active smartphones.

I don't see Windows 10 changing that. The Nokia acquisition was a giant waste of time and money.
If they didn't buy Nokia, they would have produced more Android phones including a flagship. WP would have become more irrelevant. The acquisition at least solidifies WP as the 3rd OS.

maeh2k

If they didn't buy Nokia, they would have produced more Android phones including a flagship. WP would have become more irrelevant. The acquisition at least solidifies WP as the 3rd OS.

3rd place is meaningless with marginal sales. Android has won. Windows Phone already is irrelevant.

If anything, trying to hold on to Windows Phone and wasting billions on Nokia is distracting Microsoft from doing something that isn't pointless. Why put that much effort into making "universal apps" and unifying Windows and Windows Phone, when no one's using Windows Phone (or Windows apps)?

They are basically in Google's pre-Android position now, where they don't own the platform, but offer their apps and services everywhere. Why not just focus on that?

JaggedSac

They are basically in Google's pre-Android position now, where they don't own the platform, but offer their apps and services everywhere. Why not just focus on that?

They are. They just made a deal to put their services/apps preinstalled on Samsung Android devices and invested in Cyanogen. It's not like the corp can't multitask. Hell, all their main services and applications are on other OS's. Why do you think WP folks complain about MS focusing more on iOS and Android?

The last several acquisitions they have made were to get good front end applications on other platforms for their services.

They are doing all this, and yet still able to manage WP. Why not?

Distracted? They're more focused than ever. Did the acquisition stop Microsoft from signing a monstrous deal with Samsung to get their services into Samsung phones? I expect similar deals with others.

I disagree with you about universal apps as well. Universal apps helping WP is just a small part of it. Universal apps will help Xbox and Windows PC far more then it will WP.

maeh2k

Oh, you are saying they can't do more than one thing at a time.

Of course they can do lots of things. However, there are opportunity costs for doing the wrong things.
Propping up Nokia for years, buying them for $7B (adding 30k employees), without seeing a return on that investment? Maybe not that great an idea.

So would you consider the 635 a downgrade from the 820? wireless charging? sd card?

Some what, I means it's a $100.00 phone selling for $50.00, if you don't care for the next flagship then find the cheapest possible 830 and buy that you will be happier. Be warn if you are on At&t, the unlock version do not support At&t LTE (and I don't know for sure but I don't think it support T-Mo either).

635 has low res screen, no camera button, feel cheap, no wireless shell and camera is crappy.

Tomcat

Of course they can do lots of things. However, there are opportunity costs for doing the wrong things.
Propping up Nokia for years, buying them for $7B (adding 30k employees), without seeing a return on that investment? Maybe not that great an idea.

when you see buyouts like the whatsapp for 19bn buying nokia for 7bn was a steal.

maeh2k

when you see buyouts like the whatsapp for 19bn buying nokia for 7bn was a steal.

$7B could have bought all kinds of other stuff. E.g. Nest + Occulus + Waze, or all the Robotics companies Google gobbled up. Instead they bought themselves another money pit.

KageMaru

Global smartphone shipments: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=992393

35 million Lumias in 2014.
50 million Windows Phones out of 2.2 billion active smartphones.

I don't see Windows 10 changing that. The Nokia acquisition was a giant waste of time and money.

Am I being naive for thinking those sales aren't that bad? Of course MS alone can't take on every manufacturer of Android phones but when comparing them to individual companies like HTC, Motorola, and Sony, they don't seem to be doing horribly for a dead platform.

$7B could have bought all kinds of other stuff. E.g. Nest + Occulus + Waze, or all the Robotics companies Google gobbled up. Instead they bought themselves another money pit.

Didn't they also acquire a bunch of patents when buying Nokia?

Some what, I means it's a $100.00 phone selling for $50.00, if you don't care for the next flagship then find the cheapest possible 830 and buy that you will be happier. Be warn if you are on At&t, the unlock version do not support At&t LTE (and I don't know for sure but I don't think it support T-Mo either).

635 has low res screen, no camera button, feel cheap, no wireless shell and camera is crappy.

meh I just bought another used 820 to tide me over until I can really afford an 830.

I mean I already have all the accessories for it or something.

Top Bottom