• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Look, I don't take any responsibility for the state of the Mobile release! I still think it's insane to be releasing it in its current state. Way too early, too many missing features.

Yeah, anyone bummed that their device isn't supported yet isn't missing out on a whole lot. Not knowing ANYTHING about how long other devices will be added, maybe more features will be available by the time they are.

I really hope MS doesn't COMPLETELY abandon pivot/panorama. It it just so much more intuitive/makes more sense for some apps.

It also highlights the ergonomic problem of larger (5"+) phones. Gotta do a lot more reaching to the top of the screen to navigate vs. being able to swipe anywhere on the screen.

Heretic

My update just kicked in on Bell Canada. I'm actually liking how snappy things are now, surprise surprise. USB transfer is working again too, which is a big plus - I was ready to trade this in for an iPhone.

Looks like I'll be sticking with MS a while longer.

What a fucking shill...

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Look, I don't take any responsibility for the state of the Mobile release! I still think it's insane to be releasing it in its current state. Way too early, too many missing features.

I'm so happy! This dev preview process was built on top of one of my major features in 8.1!

Heretic

Aaaannnndd....fuck. The turd phones get it first.

i8kXbaNCKpyWN.gif

f0lken

So those who have it, Is skype integrated already within the messaging app? If so how good does it work? Also can you have the wallpaper as it is now in 8.1 or only behind the tiles as they have shown? This thread has an alarming lack of pics and impressions so far :p

Yeah this first build doesn't have all the new changes in yet. All of the more cooler stuff is being put in later.

The new message notification and quick messaging was nice to use though.

hwalker84

Can't even install it on my 635. The phone keeps saying

Your password has expired. First, change it on the web, then come back and update it in your account on the phone.

Error code: 85050003

My password hasn't changed and it won't give me the opportunity to try a new one.

edit: crap it was the stupid time issue.

Any Canadians on Windows 10? I don't seem to have Cortana anymore.

From their blog:

We know that some things will also look like a step back. This includes Cortana. Because of the work we’re doing to converge across PC and phones, Cortana in this build will be limited to US-only and English-only and some of the features you use in Windows Phone 8.1 aren’t yet enabled in this new codebase. Once again, DON’T WORRY! Cortana will be more powerful and capable in Windows 10 than ever before, with more capabilities and language support than ever before. Windows Insiders will see those changes come alive in future builds. You can see more about Cortana in Windows 10 here.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Things I like:

-The background image
-The new look of the toast notifications
- inline notifications
- Cortana changes
- new settings menu
- apps seem to launch faster??

What I don't like:

- my sluggish start screen (sure that will change)
- the new dialer, makes more sense one handed maybe??
-the photos app is the new Xbox muaic

I think pivots wont be coming back. pivots with universal apps and porting iPhone apps doesn't make sense.

I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of the move away from pivot/panorama navigation to more conventional menus.

It's early, of course, but feels like it's a step backwards in some apps. The Photos app doesn't have any swiping/pivot anymore--gotta tap the hamburger and then pick what you want to view.
I hate to be that guy, but they should copy lollipop's material design. You have pivots, but you swipe from the left the hamburger menu is brought up.

They managed to keep the same single handed navigation from WP, but with a consistent interface that can hold way more information/actions then the pivots, without cluttering up.

I went to grab my 820 and it slipped from my hand and hit the hardwood floor.

after almost 2 years my beloved phone has cracked and the bottom 75% of the touch screen doesn't work now..

I loved that phone.

I went to grab my 820 and it slipped from my hand and hit the hardwood floor.

after almost 2 years my beloved phone has cracked and the bottom 75% of the touch screen doesn't work now..

I loved that phone.
I am surprised it last that long. That phone has the worst screen. I had to replaced the screen twice. Well it's well known Windows Phone gaf all have butter fingers.

Pick up 635 and wait for next flagship if you want to stay with Windows.

I am surprised it last that long. That phone has the worst screen. I had to replaced the screen twice. Well it's well known Windows Phone gaf all have butter fingers.

Pick up 635 and wait for next flagship if you want to stay with Windows.

I've dropped it quite a bit and it has lasted very well. and the screen is still in tact, it just has a crack and the touch part doesnt work on the bottom portion of the phone, including the back home and search.

635 and not 830?? I really liked that phone and would just want more.

Sordid

I can't display the number of texts or e-mails I have at the bottom of my lock screen anymore :( the preview seems fine apart from that though

I've dropped it quite a bit and it has lasted very well. and the screen is still in tact, it just has a crack and the touch part doesnt work on the bottom portion of the phone, including the back home and search.

635 and not 830?? I really liked that phone and would just want more.
Cheaper until next flagship but if you are OK with 830 then it is a nice phone.

You are lucky with your 820, a guy at my work drop his and broke the screen a week after he got it.

My button on my 520 broke last year and I've been using my mates HTC One S since then. I've got a Lumia 735 coming on Tuesday as my next contract upgrade :) Looking forward to using Windows phone again.

Edit: I'm also getting a free Fitbit Flex.

hadareud

The Translator
Don't know about that, I think there's more new features already than there were with 8.0.

Of course, most of the new stuff isn't actually there yet (like Spartan, universal apps and all the stuff that they haven't yet shown. There's bound to be stuff they haven't yet shown. Right? Right???).

Either way, from a UI perspective it's the biggest change yet.

MCD

yes, that's what I meant. I want to try Spartan, new xbox music, new outlook etc. but from the videos, they aren't up yet.

installing this after BUILD sounds like a better plan.

neoanarch

Lumia 635

I'm not finding it all that different from 8.1. But IE is much snappier and the new kb is aces. Not only does it look better its way more accurate.

I would like to have clear transparent tiles now that we can have full size backgrounds. The colors really ruin it.

wp_ss_20150213_0001kipcv.png

Steel is the only color that looks kinda good on it. Anything else looks bad.

In line notifications kick ass. Favorite bit of the preview.

Yeah, and I'm really liking the new background style, surprisingly. Not perfect and MS already said we'll have the option of the prior version, but it's nice.

Not much else here, aside from that.

I would like to have clear transparent tiles now that we can have full size backgrounds. The colors really ruin it.

I actually like the colors with the new backgrounds quite a bit. Before, the only colors I would use were the blues, maybe the grey/silver, and red. Everything else was just a bit much for me.

Tile transparency gives you a lot more "options" when it comes to matching/coordinating, since you have a full background to contrast against. EDIT: Having said that, yeah, it sure wouldn't hurt to just have a vanilla "transparent" theme with no coloring.

Top Bottom