• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Zeknurn

So the Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones in fact won't be starting in February. Thanks a lot for telling us, Microsoft.

Paganmoon

Seems the en-GB site also has the other list of phones:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-supported-phones

Supported phones for Windows 10 Technical Preview

We're working to get more Windows Phone models supported worldwide. Download the Windows Previewer app and when your phone is supported you'll start getting updates. Windows 10 Technical Preview currently works with the following phones – as long as Windows Phone 8.1 was already installed on the phone at the time of purchase:

HTC 8x

HTC One (M8) for Windows

Nokia and Microsoft Lumia phones that have:

At least 8 GB of storage

A single SIM card slot (dual SIM phones are not currently supported for Technical Preview)

Edit: All pages are now updated with the official list :(

Magni

My 830 is my daily driver, so I'm not ready to put W10 on it. I was really hoping my developer device 820 would be able to run it.

I really agree not revealing the list until today was a poor move by MS.

Treo360

So not only does an unbranded non-carrier linked 1520.3 like mine can't get the build because of os stitching, I don't get denim because of what; reasons?

My 830 is my daily driver, so I'm not ready to put W10 on it. I was really hoping my developer device 820 would be able to run it.

I really agree not revealing the list until today was a poor move by MS.

830 is my only phone, but I'm going all in. Nut up or shut up
I'm terrified

joshschw

So, why not post something like this earlier in the month instead of the constant teasing? I'm not even that cynical when it comes to the platform, but basic communication mishaps like this are why people get frustrated.

Maybe it's only a week or two away and they planned to have it finished and hit a bug or something?

At the end of the day it's just their phone, and the layman is not getting "frustrated" I imagine since they would not have even heard of these technical preview magicks.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes it's a failed joke.

Anyway, they should have limited the expectations. A lot of people will be pissed off and disappointed. If they'd have said from the beginning that the list of supported phones would be very limited to start with it would have been better.

Ape

Banned
I'm extremely bitter right now for really no reason other than my hopes of using W10 on the 920 were dashed by poor communication. Of course we can wait, but to pull the rug out from under me like that is really poor form.

Were some of you guys actually going to out this on your primary phone?

Not me, just excited to play around with the OS. My iPhone is the main device now.

f0lken

Were some of you guys actually going to out this on your primary phone?

Yes, I always do that, even installed Win10 on my main PC just to see the synergy between platforms, I did roll back to 8.1 on my Surface tho, the touch experience on 10 is just so bad in comparisom

I watched the video with Joe going through the Preview and it doesn't look like anyone is missing out right now. Half of it was a demo of the new universal Office apps. I'm sure it will be worthwhile, once it lands on proper phones.

frontieruk

I watched the video with Joe going through the Preview and it doesn't look like anyone is missing out right now. Half of it was a demo of the new universal Office apps. I'm sure it will be worthwhile, once it lands on proper phones.

Are you implying my Nokia 635 isn't a proper phone *fakes shocked face*

joshschw

My first question is if you can email full sized photos now?
Been waiting for this for YEARS and I don't understand why it's not been an option.

Sounds exactly like something a WP8.1 peasant would say.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I don't want to sound like an entitled kid from the gaming side, but they could have said that a week ago, waiting to today feels like a troll move by MS's part

So, why not post something like this earlier in the month instead of the constant teasing? I'm not even that cynical when it comes to the platform, but basic communication mishaps like this are why people get frustrated.

Why do they need to?

Really, they don't even need to let anyone use the beta OS.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
630 is elligble, cool. I know what I am doing when I get home. Also ed bott, Paul thurrott and Mary Jo Foley are hilarious with their whinging that their phone didn't get a beta OS. They themselves said this was a limited release.

kazinova

Everyone installing needs to post screenshots or impressions to convince me to swing by a store on my way home from work to snag a 635 GoPhone!!!

The house we put an offer on was snapped up by someone else so I'd love to buy something to play with in order to feel better.

I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of the move away from pivot/panorama navigation to more conventional menus.

It's early, of course, but feels like it's a step backwards in some apps. The Photos app doesn't have any swiping/pivot anymore--gotta tap the hamburger and then pick what you want to view.

joshschw

I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of the move away from pivot/panorama navigation to more conventional menus.

It's early, of course, but feels like it's a step backwards in some apps. The Photos app doesn't have any swiping/pivot anymore--gotta tap the hamburger and then pick what you want to view.

Yeah, that part is not going to be great, but I think it's for two reasons. Primary one being that's what people are "used to" on other platforms, and the other one being Universal Apps. I am sure it's possible to create a distinct UX for each - phone and desktop - but most likely it's much more workable and easy to have it collapse onto itself, in the same way a responsive website does, and those typically also suffer in terms of UX.

Perf is way too slow, which is why I'd only suggest the diehards use it as a daily driver. A lot of the fit and finish will come with the releases closer to RTM. I'm not sure exactly what signing protocol they're using, but with WP8 there was a big perf increase during the switch to retail certs. 8.1's update design and the developer preview infrastructure developed actually aided in reducing that eventual jump up in perf, so I doubt there'll be a free big bump come release.

For me, this is really exciting to allow people to use an OS at such an early stage in the process. I imagine this is the earliest stage of a public (modern) mobile OS release ever. It really feeds into the leadership's alteration of product strategy towards smaller releases.

Hoooooonestly...I'd hold off. I mean, what's in here IS pretty cool, but half of what's in the Preview vid isn't in the build yet. No new Office, Maps, IE, or Music/Video. It's basically the new Settings, new notification center, and interactive notifications right now.

Can't figure out how to set the new Start tiles/background, though...

EDIT: Oh weird. So it kept my WP 8.1 parallax-style background/tiles when I updated, until I removed it and set a new one.

The new one isn't so bad, but I hope there is an option for both. This one DOES have parallax scrolling but it's horizontal, so it's only in "effect" when you swipe to your apps (you can still see your background, just very dark).

Is the mail app outlook or still 8.1 style?

Still 8.1.

EDIT: Ugh, they even removed pivot/panorama from the Phone "app".

Swiping to get where you want >>>>>> Tapping small menus at the top of the screen.

Gonna get my feedback on.

EDIT 2: Oh yeah, I forgot about the different tile sizes. Only seems to be for W10 apps now, of course--I think Cortana is the only one right now.

KageMaru

I don't want to sound like an entitled kid from the gaming side, but they could have said that a week ago, waiting to today feels like a troll move by MS's part

There's a decent chance they hoped partition stitching would have been ready by the time the preview was rolling out. They may have not known the whole list earlier in the month or week even. We all know this is an early preview and that there never was a guarantee for any device to be supported day one.

With so many unknown variables, it's not worth getting frustrated or upset over IMO.

dLMN8R

Look, I don't take any responsibility for the state of the Mobile release! I still think it's insane to be releasing it in its current state. Way too early, too many missing features.

Top Bottom