• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I've got my green 735 coming today! *fist bump*

husky-fist-bumps-cat.gif

hadareud

The Translator
Why do you need a phone anyway if you just want to chat on your computer.

What you really want is to go back go the good old days of ICQ. Remember the late 90s brot? Those were the days.

Incidentally, scrolling a website on a PC was as smooth then as it is on Android today.

Less cool now that Whatsapp itself can do it.

Not the same. WhatsApp Web requires a full window and Chrome (ew). Pushbullet pops up when you get a notification and is gone, after you sent the reply.

There are third party clients on Windows Phone, but they don't support notifications. Uh, okay.

95% of the people I communicate with. My younger brother is the only person I know who is on Whatsapp so SMS is the prime communication tool.

And that's okay. I'm not saying that text messages are dead. Globally, people send almost as many text messages as WhatsApp messages, so there's still a market. But no one is "crazy" (I know it was a joke, so was my reaction) for preferring WhatsApp to simple texts, especially with its advantages compared to text or MMS.

And 700 million active users per month is nothing to joke about.

ElNino

And that's okay. I'm not saying that text messages are dead. Globally, people send almost as many text messages as WhatsApp messages, so there's still a market. But no one is "crazy" (I know it was a joke, so was my reaction) for preferring WhatsApp to simple texts, especially with its advantages compared to text or MMS.

And 700 million active users per month is nothing to joke about.
For sure, I would have no issues using WhatsApp as a communication tool... but there's no way I could convince enough people to use it.

All of my iPhone using family will only use iMessage. I can barely even get my son and wife to use Skype to video chat when I'm out of town.

I just got my 930. Love it. Got denim too. This thread is making me feel like I made a huge mistake though, lol.

One size doesn't fit all – if it did, we'd have a very boring world. If anything, it's great that after a period of relative stagnation, there are more options now than there have been for a while. iOS is still great, Android is getting more polished (and more variation with Amazon putting their own spin on it), Windows Phone is evolving in line with the PC, Sailfish is keeping the spirit of Meego alive, BlackBerry 10 takes cues from WebOS and is genuinely good, Tizen is just beginning to ship on Samsung devices in Asia, Firefox OS continues to make inroads in low-end markets, and only the other day the first Ubuntu OS phone was launched. These are exciting times for the industry - hopefully the newcomers can shake up the status quo a bit.

Hope you enjoy your new Nokia!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Love my 930, too. Which color did you chose?

I wanted orange, but my shipping options were limited and ended up with black. I love how it looks, such a solid device. I decided I wanted one after holding my brother's 830. Nokia builds fantastic hardware. There was a lot of complaining online about the size, but it feels great in my hand.

Post-denim camera impressions?

It had two updates when I got it, the second one being denim, so I never even got to play with the camera pre denim. I haven't experimented extensively with the camera, but it definitely is much faster than the 1020 at capturing images. HDR is also a feature I needed to have, and it works great. The camera is the biggest reason I switched. And although it's no 1020, it's better than anything else out there.

You should have gone with BlackBerry

Lol, I considered a z10 a long time ago and never pulled the trigger. Never as a daily driver though.

Eh, we can get pretty pesky, but still better than the "everything is awesome" attitude with the other two.

I know, I've been with you guys since the beginning, plus I have access to other platforms, so I know what is best for me.

You caved??? No glance, No LTE (in America), No SD card.... F that phone!

I feel like Thurrott, this is the best phone on the world. My situation is unique though. I have an iPad lte so lack of lte isn't a big deal, plus constant access to Wi-Fi. I got used to no glance with my HTC One, so that doesn't matter. Lack of SD is a biggie, no lie. Biggest reason why I hesitated on pulling the trigger, but I figured since I wouldn't be putting games or offline music, it won't be as big of a deal. Plus $345 shipped. Duuuude.

KageMaru

I just got my 930. Love it. Got denim too. This thread is making me feel like I made a huge mistake though, lol.

Awesome that you love the phone, that's all that matters. Looking forward to your camera impressions.

edit: just realize you already posted with impressions while I was sitting on this post lol

Not that I care too much about phone loudspeakers, but the loudspeaker on my 735 is bloody terrible. :-/ Hissy staticky cheap-sounding pish.

I don't understand the end of support for Room on Windows Phone, why implement all these cool concept and what make Windows Phone unique only to yank the rug out under them. My family use Room quite a bit when we all have Windows Phone less so now with two of us on Android but it was one of the cool features that unique to Windows Phone.

dLMN8R

I'm still happy with my 830. Fast enough that I don't have any problems with it, great camera (though still eagerly awaiting Denim!), glance support, super thin and light, expandable storage, etc.

Still definitely too expensive though. If it was $200-300 it would be an incredible device.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I liked rooms, I used rooms. Then my wife and I got android phones, and they just weren't as useful. Sad to see it go though.

kazinova

I have an unlock code for my AT&T 1520, does unlocking it stop me from getting LTE on StraightTalk?

Will it increase or decrease my chances of getting Denim sooner?

I'd really like Denim, now. NOW!

hadareud

The Translator
Windows 10 for phones and small devices is this year's WP8. Lots of behind the scene stuff, but not that many user facing features.

At least it looks like that right now.

I don't think so. The preview version, yes. But I expect quite a lot of new stuff with the official release, more than 8.1 (not only 8).

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a major feature like interactive tiles, either.

Might be misplaced optimism, but I don't think so.

I don't think so. The preview version, yes. But I expect quite a lot of new stuff with the official release, more than 8.1 (not only 8).

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a major feature like interactive tiles, either.

Might be misplaced optimism, but I don't think so.

I really don't expect more than fixed bugs and cosmetic stuff from either the desktop or tablet/phone build until "1.0" hits in August. A lot of the "new" stuff seems to come in form of apps, too (like Office). And I'm really not being snarky or an asshole here, just reasonable and realistic. If they really had more and important consumer facing features, they would've already shown it and said it's coming in later builds (like they did with Spartan for the dekstop).

However, with this new release cycle it's definitely not as bad, because we don't have to wait a year for a major release anymore.

That least that's the theory.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I like that they are moving the functionality to apps that can be independently updated rather than requiring system updates. The problem is that we have xbox music as a glaring example that this model doesn't guarantee improved features.

hadareud

The Translator
I really don't expect more than fixed bugs and cosmetic stuff from either the desktop or tablet/phone build until "1.0" hits in August. A lot of the "new" stuff seems to come in form of apps, too (like Office). And I'm really not being snarky or an asshole here, just reasonable and realistic. If they really had more and important consumer facing features, they would've already shown it and said it's coming in later builds (like they did with Spartan for the dekstop).

However, with this new release cycle it's definitely not as bad, because we don't have to wait a year for a major release anymore.

That least that's the theory.

No I know. I don't disagree with your way of thinking either, I just think that there's a lot of stuff that we haven't yet seen. They've shown a couple of universal apps, I expect there to be more, for instance.

I also think there's a few features that they're not ready to discuss just yet, some of them consumer facing. Some of them dependent on new hardware.

Of course it's better to be sceptical, but I can feel it in my water that this release isn't going to be a small deal.

hadareud

The Translator
I've played around with the 930 a bit now.

The camera was a good bit faster than on the 1020 before updating to Denim, on Denim it is lightening fast. It's up and running as soon as you press the camera button and the time between shots is ridiculously fast coming from the 1020.

Colours are much more natural on the 930, but it doesn't come close to the 1020 in terms of overall detail and quality. Seems to be very competent though from the few shots I've taken so far.

The screen is very good, built quality is excellent as you'd expect. It lies nicely in my hand, though I probably prefer the more rounded approach of the 920 and 1020 - it does look really great though. It's a fantastic looking phone in person and I don't really understand why anyone would say otherwise. Weight is good too - quite light, but not too light either (I hate it when you pick up a phone and it feels like it's a sheet of paper, like the iPhone).

Interface runs as you'd expect, smoothly. Apps seem to open quicker than on the 1020, too. Anyway, feels nice and snappy.

Still think that you should be able to switch to fewer tiles. It's not that there's too many tiles (even though there is), they're just too bloody small. The small size tiles are unusable and even the large tiles look quite small.

Overall, I think it's a great phone. Is it a big enough upgrade coming from the 920? I definitely think so, though I have too say it's probably too late in the release cycle to buy now. Depending on whether they'll release a new flagship phone at some stage, ffs.

That said, I'll probably gift it to my gf after a few days and go back to the 1020 until that elusive new flagship comes out. Mainly because I'm such a great guy. Or because she's making me. Take your pick.

Top Bottom