• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Colours are much more natural on the 930, but it doesn't come close to the 1020 in terms of overall detail and quality. Seems to be very competent though from the few shots I've taken so far.

It's incredible how much better at photography the 1020 is than anything else on the market. The gulf is insane. An easy reference for me is when I open up a picture on my tv through the Onedrive app on Xbox One. 1020 shots look fantastic, everything else is meh, not enough detail. Anyone who says that the iPhone or any other phone camera is close has only looked at the pictures on their phone or ipad. Even on a computer monitor, the differences are huge. That said, there are advantages to the 930 camera in my short usage. Speed is amazing, living images are super fun and a cool trick, HDR is huge and works mostly well. I haven't touched 4k recording yet, but I see it as being hugely useful when capturing movement because it allows you to pick out individual frames after the fact. I wish it was the 1020 camera with the 930 innards, but this is easily the 2nd best phone camera I have ever used. And yes, I have used an iphone 6s camera.

I've only seen pics from the 1020 based on store demo models. They always seem a bit soft. Maybe the particular conditions? If a 1020 successor is out this year, I know what I'm upgrading to. Any flagship at all though... we could use.

NeOak

I have an unlock code for my AT&T 1520, does unlocking it stop me from getting LTE on StraightTalk?

Will it increase or decrease my chances of getting Denim sooner?

I'd really like Denim, now. NOW!
No.

LOL no. You'll get denim when AT&T says so. It is their variant.

Tomcat

It's incredible how much better at photography the 1020 is than anything else on the market. The gulf is insane. An easy reference for me is when I open up a picture on my tv through the Onedrive app on Xbox One. 1020 shots look fantastic, everything else is meh, not enough detail. Anyone who says that the iPhone or any other phone camera is close has only looked at the pictures on their phone or ipad. Even on a computer monitor, the differences are huge. That said, there are advantages to the 930 camera in my short usage. Speed is amazing, living images are super fun and a cool trick, HDR is huge and works mostly well. I haven't touched 4k recording yet, but I see it as being hugely useful when capturing movement because it allows you to pick out individual frames after the fact. I wish it was the 1020 camera with the 930 innards, but this is easily the 2nd best phone camera I have ever used. And yes, I have used an iphone 6s camera.

since you can still find an 808 that's the best camera phone :p

kazinova

No.

LOL no. You'll get denim when AT&T says so. It is their variant.

So there's no benefit to unlocking unless I wanted to use TMo or another network. Good to know. I feel bad spamming AT&T's twitter now that I'm not their customer, but since they're the limiting reagent there's not much choice.

n64coder

So there's no benefit to unlocking unless I wanted to use TMo or another network. Good to know. I feel bad spamming AT&T's twitter now that I'm not their customer, but since they're the limiting reagent there's not much choice.

That's correct. I have an unlocked 1020 and I use Cricket. I get LTE (although it's throttled) and updates come out when ATT pushes them out.

You can use a locked ATT phone on Cricket (which is an ATT MVNO). I think it might also be true for Straight Talk.

JaggedSac

My wife is switching from WP to Android. What is a good inexpensive phone that she could use? I don't want to venture into any Android threads.

Pooya

My wife is switching from WP to Android. What is a good inexpensive phone that she could use? I don't want to venture into any Android threads.

iphone 5c :p /troll

Moto G really is not very good, I would still get iphone over it /troll2

2nd Gen Moto G definitely is not very good, lowered battery life and front speakers are ugly. The camera isn't exactly that much better either. Get Moto G 4G if you can, well it has 4G duh and microSD and very decent battery life.

Does anyone remember where the option is to disable WiFi when the screen is off? I can't seem to find it so now I'm starting to doubt that it ever existed haha.

n64coder

My wife's birthday is coming up next month and I'm thinking of getting her the 830. She currently has the 520 and I would like her to have a better camera with flash.

Just to confirm, I need to get the RM-985? I guess the best place to get it is ebay or bhphotovideo.com. The latter has it for $380. On Ebay, I think it averages around $320.

Should I be considering any other models? Personally, I have the 1020 and while it's great, I would like her to try a different model with a faster camera.

KageMaru

I've been running into a couple issues on my Icon and was wondering if anyone experiences the same things. First it seems like sometimes Cortana just can't understand anything I say. I have to reset all connections by turning airplane mode on then of before she will hear me again. Not sure if it's due to me going from a Wi-Fi to carrier connection or what but it's incredibly annoying.

Also sometimes while in an app my back button becomes unresponsive. Can't back out of the verb I'm in, holding it down doesn't bring up the multitask view, and I need to hit the home button before it starts responding again.

Anyone else have these issues?

US and ATT.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. She doesn't want an iPhone. I don't know much about Android phones so just want to make sure we don't grab a crappy cheap one.

I, however, am WP 4 Life.

What about the LG G2? Decent camera, specs are still good, but it should be cheaper now with the G3 out.

One small thing that's annoying me about my 735 is that the nav bar occasionally turns from black to grey for some unknown reason. Bing suggests that this is a common issue. :-/

(Edit: I see a comment elsewhere saying that it's to help avoid/reduce burn-in from the white back/win/search on-screen icons)

kazinova

I think I may have missed the boat on this feature but on the 635 couldn't you get a colored software keys bar? I've seen W10 screenshots with the Start,Search,Back buttons on a green or blue background but I can't find an option in W10TP to change that.

Might be one of those things you can't do once you're upgraded, like go back to transparent tiles.

I think I may have missed the boat on this feature but on the 635 couldn't you get a colored software keys bar? I've seen W10 screenshots with the Start,Search,Back buttons on a green or blue background but I can't find an option in W10TP to change that.

Might be one of those things you can't do once you're upgraded, like go back to transparent tiles.
Yeah you could do it in 8.1. They just need to add it back into the W10TP.

Yeah I couldn't find it on 10.

kharma45

One small thing that's annoying me about my 735 is that the nav bar occasionally turns from black to grey for some unknown reason. Bing suggests that this is a common issue. :-/

(Edit: I see a comment elsewhere saying that it's to help avoid/reduce burn-in from the white back/win/search on-screen icons)

Oh is it? I thought it was a bug.

It wasn't a comment from someone at MS; just a punter offering a theory. It's on a 30 second timer, so that might add a little weight to the burn-in protection idea.

Has anyone been unable to backup recently? Last backup was 3 weeks ago and it keeps throwing an error now.

HTC 8X with 8.1.

My last backup was 5mths ago.
It reaches 96% and shows as failed.

I have done a hard reset and the restore worked fine though.

Lumia 930 with 8.1 and dev preview

maeh2k

My last backup was 5mths ago.
It reaches 96% and shows as failed.

I have done a hard reset and the restore worked fine though.

Lumia 930 with 8.1 and dev preview

Has anyone been unable to backup recently? Last backup was 3 weeks ago and it keeps throwing an error now.

HTC 8X with 8.1.

I had that issue once and believe the solution was to delete your existing backup. Then it can successfully create a new one.

toff74

Anyone's L920 received the Denim Update?

I got mine overnight and it really has borked the phone.

The phone is either resuming or locked on a screen. when I do get to do something data connections don't work either (3G, 4G and Wifi).

Gonna try a hard reset..

I don't miss the two-column layout after a few months of living with the three-column layout that is forced on me. Hard to go back to lack of content.

The extra slots within the layout makes things so much easier to manage and look at.

Three columns are fine, its just that the largest available tile size needs to increase as well. Right now the large tiles don't have nearly as much impact as they did in the 2-column days.

n64coder

On a cruise, dude in front of me has a green 1520. It's practically a unicorn. A believe a saw a senior in the buffet with a 635 too.

It's funny that I'm always looking to see if someone else is using WP. Too often, it's just an iphone with a cyan case.

Milchjon

"I would expect to see the Lumia 1330 and Lumia 640 at Mobile World Congress next week. Both big display devices with low price."

Well if that's not promising...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Chances of a new flagship before Windows 10's official launch are next to zero, specially in a trade show where Samsung, HTC and probably Sony will be showing new high end devices.

Microsoft better deliver this time, because I don't think my 920 can hold for another three years.

Top Bottom