• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

n64coder

Any thoughts on this?

My wife's birthday is coming up next month and I'm thinking of getting her the 830. She currently has the 520 and I would like her to have a better camera with flash.

Just to confirm, I need to get the RM-985? I guess the best place to get it is ebay or bhphotovideo.com. The latter has it for $380. On Ebay, I think it averages around $320.

Should I be considering any other models? Personally, I have the 1020 and while it's great, I would like her to try a different model with a faster camera.

dLMN8R

Reading reviews of the 920 complaining about how heavy it is are so insanely stupid in retrospect. It's the type of thing you notice for a couple days then it just....goes away.

Even after getting my super thin/light 830, I went back and used my 920 for a week and the weight wasn't a big deal at all.

MCD

Reading reviews of the 920 complaining about how heavy it is are so insanely stupid in retrospect. It's the type of thing you notice for a couple days then it just....goes away.

Even after getting my super thin/light 830, I went back and used my 920 for a week and the weight wasn't a big deal at all.

And it was indestructible. But still, if it can be lighter, thinner and better, then why not?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've dropped my 920 onto the floor so many times its four corners have become rounded. The phone still works like a champ. No scratches, no creaking, no messed up buttons.

8dJwojQ.jpg

I dare other manufacturers to create a non-rugerized phone with the same level of resiliance. This shit is the Lenovo Thinkpad of the phone space. I just toss the fucker around fully knowing that it'll work like the first day whenever I pick it back.

JaggedSac

I drop my 1020 all the time and it works fine too. Just last night I dropped it on my hardwood floor. It landed on the corner of the phone and dug a little bit out of my floor. Was a little miffed at that, lol.

I do have burn in of the IE address bar at the bottom of my phone. Anyone know of a way to get rid of that?

n64coder

One thing I noticed about my 1020 is that it has a spot for a wrist lanyard. Does this feature exist on the newer models (830, 735)?

Any recommendations for a heavy duty lanyard that I can buy for my phone? I would like to get one so that I can take pictures while I'm on the chair lift and not worry about dropping the phone on the ground. I'm thinking of getting it from this site. There are some on Amazon from a third party seller but they might not be strong enough.

kharma45

They were idiotic at the time never mind looking back a few years later.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
One thing I noticed about my 1020 is that it has a spot for a wrist lanyard. Does this feature exist on the newer models (830, 735)?

Any recommendations for a heavy duty lanyard that I can buy for my phone? I would like to get one so that I can take pictures while I'm on the chair lift and not worry about dropping the phone on the ground. I'm thinking of getting it from this site. There are some on Amazon from a third party seller but they might not be strong enough.

First and only Lumia phone with a lanyard IIRC. Any cheapy one should work, BTW. Jokes aside, it's not like we are talking about anything heavier than a compact camera.

They were idiotic at the time never mind looking back a few years later.

It should be their slogan.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Definitely the camera update is what got me interested. I wasn't going to buy it without Denim. I tweeted Thurrot like 2 weeks ago and he responded that his 930 got Denim, so I pulled the trigger. 4k, HDR, and the cool Lumia Camera tricks on a 20mp sensor sold me on the device. Plus it was relatively cheap for me.

hadareud

The Translator
I think it's fair to say that the only reason that the 930 seems to have been a commercial failure round the globe is Brot's persistent negativity about it. It swayed public opinion.

He could well have single handedly killed Windows Phone.

hadareud

The Translator
They're going to announce the 1030 at MWC. It'll be based on the 930, same design but with a hump and a slightly upgraded processor and 3 instead of 2 GB of RAM.

Why?

Because I'm desperate for it.

kharma45

I'd take that. I don't really care about a screen beyond 1080p. It's something they could just leave well alone.

If they could either bump the internal storage too and/or offer an SD card slot that'd be mint.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, an SD card slot would be great, especially taking the 41+MP into account. More than 1080p is overkill for me on a screen 5" or smaller. Not that I wouldn't take a higher pixel density, but not at the expense of battery life.

Would it make sense for them to announce and release a flagship phone before W10?

Why the hell not? The 1030 is a niche flagship. Have a 940 with the launch of Windows 10, releasing more than one flagship at the same time doesn't make sense anyway.

My fear, of course, is that they know this only too well and that they won't release a 1030 at all and instead release a 1040 around this time next year. In which case we'll have to give LF a good paddlin'.

hadareud

The Translator
Definitely, but of course 1080p is quite a bit sharper. There's a discernible difference resolution wise when you look at the 930 and the 920 side by side.

1440p would look sharper still, but I think at that stage we're reaching the point of diminishing returns on 5" screens when it comes to resolution alone. I think refresh rate, better viewing angles etc. can make as much of a difference at this level as a resolution bump. Still nice to have but not really worth it if there's a penalty in battery life, for me.

------------
An update just popped up on my 1020. Must be Denim (EE).

Nero3000

930 has been absolutely brilliant:

- great oled screen (with clearblack for outdoor visibility)
- brilliant camera
- sharp deisgn
- wireless chargin builtin
- speedy

Only downside is the lack of glance.

hadareud

The Translator
Well, considering that hardly any of the competing devices has an SD card slot either, it's hardly a negative for the 930 alone.

And that it hasn't been released on any other network than Verizon in the US is not really a missing feature of the phone itself.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Back to Android because fuck work and fuck Google Apps, that's why.

I'm already missing Microsoft's beautiful, fast and intelligent predictive keyboard.

At this point I feel like there's no other keyboard on the market that adapts so well to my typing.

kharma45

Definitely, but of course 1080p is quite a bit sharper. There's a discernible difference resolution wise when you look at the 930 and the 920 side by side.

1440p would look sharper still, but I think at that stage we're reaching the point of diminishing returns on 5" screens when it comes to resolution alone. I think refresh rate, better viewing angles etc. can make as much of a difference at this level as a resolution bump. Still nice to have but not really worth it if there's a penalty in battery life, for me.

Yeah it's not all about resolution. Por ejemplo the 720p AMOLED screen on my 735 is better than the 1080p one on the OnePlus One I had. For one, you can actually read the damn thing outside.

Back to Android because fuck work and fuck Google Apps, that's why.

I'm already missing Microsoft's beautiful, fast and intelligent predictive keyboard.

At this point I feel like there's no other keyboard on the market that adapts so well to my typing.

I found Swiftkey acceptable. I liked having a dedicated number row.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Swiftkey is okay, but I swear that Microsoft's can write entire sentences for me just by pressing the a letter after picking the first recommended word on the list. As a multilingual user, I also dig the elegant way it allows to switch between different languages.

KageMaru

930 has been absolutely brilliant:

- great oled screen (with clearblack for outdoor visibility)
- brilliant camera
- sharp deisgn
- wireless chargin builtin
- speedy

Only downside is the lack of glance.

Couldn't agree more. I've loved the Icon since day one and it's only gotten better since updating to denim (finally).

Suerte

Can't believe my 830 STILL doesn't have full Denim.

Well, I can believe it because MS - but still really frustrating not to have the full features they promoted when it was announced.

CaptainABAB

I sort of disagree. I've had a 920 for 2+ years now and I still notice the weight when I use it. Not enough to change my opinion that it served me well and continues to do so (waiting for the next WP flagship in US.)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The WP keyboards is the best. Period. I don't know what kind of voodoo Microsoft is using, but I hate using the Android keyboard, and don't get me started on ios.

Edit: Lack of SD card is a big deal. The Android flagships use it: Gs5, Note, M8, G3. But more important, windows phone is able to use SD cards much better than Android, so they would be much more useful on this platform.

Top Bottom