• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Vast.

Banned
I've never used kids corner before
It has nothing to do with you using Kids Corner before.

Just go into settings, then Kids Corner, and just turn it on. The phone will now ask if you want to disable Live Lock Screen and you just click turn off. Now just turn Kids Corner back off. And your phone is back to normal.

I don't know why I had to write a paragraph though. "Turn Kids Corner On, then Off" was explanatory enough.

maeh2k

OEMs make Windows Phones like 3rd party studios made Wii games. "Test" projects, that are made by the B team, released way too late and marketed way too little. And then it's Windows Phone's fault when they don't sell, which they won't.
There's really not much of a point to it. Might as well focus exclusively on their flagship (Android) phones and try to gain some mindshare there.

OEMs make Windows Phones like 3rd party studios made Wii games. "Test" projects, that are made by the B team, released way too late and marketed way too little. And then it's Windows Phone's fault when they don't sell, which they won't.
There's really not much of a point to it. Might as well focus exclusively on their flagship (Android) phones and try to gain some mindshare there.

Not only that, but if it's just the M8 with Windows Phone 8.1 for the Fall, they might as well cancel it again. By that time we should be getting rumors of the M9 with Android 5.0.

Tablo

Don't all WP8 phones auto read text messages over BT?
My 920 and mom's 1020 sure do. It's super handy in the car!

Also I think I'm going to try to ignore any few flagships this year, I'll pick up a 925 for 200$ off Amazon and wait for mid 2015 when the crazy 64 bit phones hit. That's my plan.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...een-beta/f5685f66-5e43-46f9-b95e-bfc2a4a15de3

It's a bit buggy, I'm waiting to be able to use it in combination with Amazing Weather HD.
I wouldn't count on being able to do that anytime soon. The way it seemingly works now is that the app becomes your lockscreen provider and from there it takes over the style. This means that you can't have another app such as Amazing Weather take over the lockscreen provider to show its stuff because then you disable the custom lockscreen.

Pretty much to allow you to mix and match, they would have to do an OS update and introduce a new setting under the lines of a "Lockscreen Style Provider" which would be separate from the "Lockscreen Background Provider" which is used now. If that was done, then they could allow you to mix and match via allowing one app to control the image on the background and another actually setting how the content shows up and animates on the lockscreen.

Another way would be if they did an OS update which allowed apps to communicate with each other, then they could set up an API which developers could use to tell the other app that it exists and how to get images out of the separate app.

Ape

Banned
It has nothing to do with you using Kids Corner before.

Just go into settings, then Kids Corner, and just turn it on. The phone will now ask if you want to disable Live Lock Screen and you just click YES. Now just turn Kids Corner back off. And your phone is back to normal.

I don't know why I had to write a paragraph though. "Turn Kids Corner On, then Off" was explanatory enough.

Still doing it...

Vast.

Banned
Still doing it...
I'm sorry but I don't believe you. You either didn't "turn off" the lock screen by enabling Kid's corner, or you're just mistaken. You might just be equating some regular "resuming lag" from your phone to the lock screen.

MCD

you can try to change lock screen to a bing daily wallpaper then revert back instead of kids corner.

Ape

Banned
you can try to change lock screen to a bing daily wallpaper then revert back instead of kids corner.

That worked! Thank you MCD the resume screen was driving me crazy man. I just got into the car from comic con so I haven't had time to mess with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't all WP8 phones auto read text messages over BT?
My 920 and mom's 1020 sure do. It's super handy in the car!

Also I think I'm going to try to ignore any few flagships this year, I'll pick up a 925 for 200$ off Amazon and wait for mid 2015 when the crazy 64 bit phones hit. That's my plan.

Hmm, maybe bmw changed something between models then. Doesn't work anymore. BT is such a crapshoot sometimes

DonMigs85

The MSM8960 really is still such a great SoC, even in the Android world (unless you need the best possible gaming performance). Web browsing and most apps still run great on it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
An m8 with windows phone is a dumb idea unless they change the camera. It's terrible. So bad. If I'm going somewhere scenic or for a special occasion, I'm taking my 1020 with me, and that's annoying.

JaggedSac

If they want Android market share, they need to focus on budget tier phones. Their flagships are sinking.

Okay, so what's the best Facebook messaging app? I heard that the standard Messenger used to do it, but now it doesn't, and I need a way to check those without destroying my battery life. Any suggestions?

Ape

Banned
An m8 with windows phone is a dumb idea unless they change the camera. It's terrible. So bad. If I'm going somewhere scenic or for a special occasion, I'm taking my 1020 with me, and that's annoying.

You use your 1020 as a point and shoot?

PG2G

Okay, so what's the best Facebook messaging app? I heard that the standard Messenger used to do it, but now it doesn't, and I need a way to check those without destroying my battery life. Any suggestions?

Use Facebook Messenger (the official standalone app), works well

Tablo

Ok I'm thinking of getting a Lumia 925 off contract to hold me over a year since my 920's flash is broken. Seems Mango Wireless is selling then for 220$ new on Amazon.

Anyone have a 925 and can give me their impressions? I can also just buy another 920 too, similar price. But I thought, might as well have some variety.

NeOak

Ok I'm thinking of getting a Lumia 925 off contract to hold me over a year since my 920's flash is broken. Seems Mango Wireless is selling then for 220$ new on Amazon.

Anyone have a 925 and can give me their impressions? I can also just buy another 920 too, similar price. But I thought, might as well have some variety.

Does the flash work when you press down the back cover? Seems the pins on the flash can stop making contact with the board so it doesn't turn on.

Really simple fix.

Tablo

Does the flash work when you press down the back cover? Seems the pins on the flash can stop making contact with the board so it doesn't turn on.

Really simple fix.
Yeah I know about that issue, I tried pressing down hard, but no dice. I don't mind picking up a new 920/925, the prices are reasonable around 200-250. Maybe I'll wait and see if any of them get fucked up by the Cyan update, I already read some 925 people saying their phones get super hot with Cyan.

Sordid

My 620 has crapped out on me, it froze a few times yesterday and now it won't play any of my music files. When I press the volume button a tiny bar maybe 4mm wide appears at the top of the screen instead of the volume indicator. Tried a phone reset but it didn't help. Nuts :(

Thinking of flashing it back to 8.0 (is that even possible?) but I think it's done.

Mario007

Guys do I need to downgrade to WP 8 in order to get Cyan, because I've seen conflicting reports on that and my Lumia 920 hasn't gotten Cyan yet.

Nero3000

Guys do I need to downgrade to WP 8 in order to get Cyan, because I've seen conflicting reports on that and my Lumia 920 hasn't gotten Cyan yet.

Microsoft has suspended cyan updates to 8.1 developer preview devices due to a bug bricking some devices (when bitlocker is on).

If you want cyan now then downgrade.

Otherwise wait till they resolve the issue and continue the cyan rollout.

Mario007

Microsoft has suspended cyan updates to 8.1 developer preview devices due to a bug bricking some devices (when bitlocker is on).

If you want cyan now then downgrade.

Otherwise wait till they resolve the issue and continue the cyan rollout.

Oh ok. How much work is involved in the downgrade?

Mario007

simply flash the device using nokia desktop software. It's really simple.

Relogging into the device with your MSA should restore app installs/start screen

Cool. Thanks :)

Edit: on an unrelated note, is it possible to buy the back cover housing for the lumia 920 somewhere? What I mean by that is can you just buy the framek + back of the device so that you can change your, for example, yellow lumia into a cyan one?

dLMN8R

Remember that if you do flash the device and revert to 8.0, you'll lose your Start Screen layout and any saved app data like games.

Top Bottom