• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Anyone here uses Office on their phone? I can't format entire columns in Excel with automatic updated date/time. There is only the green border and no black/auto insert selection. I have to write the date into every single cell manually. Is that even possible on the mobile version?

ElNino

I've been using my 920 for two years now as a point and shoot. I have really good success with my pics.
I've been using my 1020 as a P&S for almost a year now, and it does it a pretty good job (as it should). Of course, my Nikon DSLR will still take better photos in many scenarios (despite "only" being 6 MP) and my 55-200 zoom lense is obviously a better option than the 1020 full zoom re-frame... although the time needed to switch lenses obviously makes it not too useful in many cases.

That being said, I like that on the 1020 I can take a photo and do some basic re-frame/cropping and post processing on the phone without needing to load them on my PC. There are times that my photos sit on the memory card in my Nikon for months before I have time to load them on the computer and go through them all, whereas my 1020 shots are typically altered (if needed) and shared and/or uploaded within a days, if not hours.

Nero3000

Which is it? XD

iirc, it doesn't restore start screen layout, but restores lockscreen background and such. At least I didn't get my layout or apps autoinstalled after switching from 920 to 1020, but might be different with a reset maybe?

8.1 restores layout background etc.

8.0 does not.

The issue is downgrading may wipe your 8.1 backup when you upgrade (as it overwrites it).

If you downgrade the best bet is to sign in with a different account, upgrade to 8.1 then restore to factory settings and sign in using your normal account, where you can restore from your 8.1 back up during the set up process.

I've done the above btw, when I had to send my 8.1 phone in for repair, and it came back with "we've updated you to latest version, no need to thank us" (8.0).

PG2G

Also app data will only be backed up for apps that have been updated for 8.1 I believe. Unfortunate but it is what it is

Both above are correct.

To ensure best results (no backup overwritten):

-upgrade to 8.1 by signing in with a different MSA.
-do reset-my-phone in 8.1
-signin with correct MSA, elect to restore your phone.
-app installs will occur. Starscreen should be rsstored
-apps that are targeting 8.1 and use correct APIs will sync user data as well with the install. Most probably will not sync user data.

Nero3000

Played around with my start screen today (925):

ZvIvUhF.jpg

Nero3000

Good actually works for you? It never gives me any notifications at all.

No - notifications are either:

a) incorrect
b) late
c) not useful (you have an event reminder - WTF is the EVENT!)
d) all of the above

Good is poor but at least its there...

jstripes

Banned
btw guys

all that beta testing and still under testing

Carriers honestly don't give a fuck. They'd be happy if you had to buy a new phone to get an OS upgrade.

It's still amazing that Apple can do unified releases for iOS under their own terms.

Both above are correct.

To ensure best results (no backup overwritten):

-upgrade to 8.1 by signing in with a different MSA.
-do reset-my-phone in 8.1
-signin with correct MSA, elect to restore your phone.
-app installs will occur. Starscreen should be rsstored
-apps that are targeting 8.1 and use correct APIs will sync user data as well with the install. Most probably will not sync user data.

I just realized teher's no Cyan for my Lumia 1020 yet, so I don't have any other option other than waiting XD

royalan

Played around with my start screen today (925):

I see that 6Tin app. Get it...

ANYWAY, can someone tell me what the reason why EVERY phone maker doesn't use OLED screens??? Because this thing is fucking amazing. I know I've gone on about this before, but a week into owning a Windows Phone it's the thing that I keep coming back to. I don't know if it's just the screen, or WP itself, or both -- but this phone is simply gorgeous to look at. I mean, the resolution on the Lumia 635 is complete shit, but the color reproduction and the overall quality of the screen is so good that I'm a week into owning this phone and I don't even notice the low res anymore. Seriously, WHY ISN'T MS USING THIS AS A SELLING POINT!?

Anyway, I don't need anymore time. The app situation still needs a bit of work but even despite that I am in love with Window's Phone. Such a chic OS. MS really should be giving this more attention than they do--WP nearly matches Android on customization features, while having the polish to rival iOS. Other than the apps I truly can't think of much bad to say about it (I would criticize Xbox Music here, but between Spotify and MixRadio, I have enough to be patient while they get that together).

Now, I'm just obsessed with getting WP on even better hardware. But, being on T-Mobile, my options seem to only be:

a) Get an unlocked 1020. Getting a little old, but still has better specs than the 635. And Dat Camera...

b) Import an unlocked 930. This is what I ultimately want to do. Anybody in the US import one of these? Wish the Icon had an unlocked option...

MCD

Carriers honestly don't give a fuck. They'd be happy if you had to buy a new phone to get an OS upgrade.

It's still amazing that Apple can do unified releases for iOS under their own terms.

carriers? lol, it's not even out for unlocked phones.

Zzoram

The 635 was finally confirmed properly for Canada and is up on their website. Hope they announce the 930.

The Microsoft Canada only has the 1020 unlocked. It links to the 520 and 625 on contracts.

Does anyone know if they ever sold 520 or 625 unlocked? I hope they sell all the new 8.1 phones unlocked.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Microsoft Canada only has the 1020 unlocked. It links to the 520 and 625 on contracts.

Does anyone know if they ever sold 520 or 625 unlocked? I hope they sell all the new 8.1 phones unlocked.

Not sure. I imagine the 635 will be coming to Telus and Rogers first.

royalan

Yup. OLED displays are typically tuned to boost vibrancy to "WOW!" customers, but the colour accuracy is actually pretty shit.

At least, from what I've seen.

Strange, the phone offers multiple display settings, and I actually have mine set to the most muted.

Anyway, who cares. The screen really pops, and rarely gives me that dull feeling like my iphone screen did.

dLMN8R

One reason why phones don't use OLED? Because most tech reviewers are utter shit and would never in a million years acknowledge that one screen with a lower resolution can be substantially better in any way than another screen with a higher resolution. Specs will almost always win out in reviews. which makes consumers think they matter, which makes them sell better.

Only Apple has the marketing prowess to truly tell customers why specs aren't everything, and have those customers actually listen.

Even on NeoGAF you see fanboys of all types putting specs above all else. Even though the iPhone has (or, had) a genuinely better screen with a lower resolution than most Android phones, it was difficult if not impossible for many to acknowledge.

Same thing with the iPhone's camera - sure it's not quite up there with any PureView camera when you have time to configure a PureView camera right, but where the iPhone wins easily is speed, ease of use, and consistency.

jond76

Banned
I read I had to downgrade my 1020 from developers preview 8.1 in order to upgrade to legit 8.1.

Downgraded... Check for updates: Your phone is up to date(!)

noooooooooo!!!

Going through wordflow and notification center withdrawal.. :'(

NeOak

I read I had to downgrade my 1020 from developers preview 8.1 in order to upgrade to legit 8.1.

Downgraded... Check for updates: Your phone is up to date(!)

noooooooooo!!!

Going through wordflow and notification center withdrawal.. :'(

That's only for the 1520 and certain 930s so far.

Looks like Verizon is getting the HTC One (going to be called "One (M8) for Windows" lol) on Aug 21st.

Meanwhile over at AT&T...*crickets*

An m8 with windows phone is a dumb idea unless they change the camera. It's terrible. So bad. If I'm going somewhere scenic or for a special occasion, I'm taking my 1020 with me, and that's annoying.

This is going to be my future isn't it, carrying 1020 as point and shoot and another phone. I don't know if I am going to keep the OnePlus One but I want to at least give it a try. My feeling is it's going to be way too big for my taste but for $349 I can use it as a tablet with LTE or sell it when something I want come along.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The one plus one is going to be crap, the camera will be garbage compared to the 1020. How hard is it for Nokia to give us a follow up to the 1020 with a big battery, 1080p screen and a processor that speeds up shot to shot times? Oh yeah, a lot of people believed the crap about you having to put in effort to get a good pic from the 1020. Nobody bought it, and the myth is still being perpetuated, see dlm8r's post. I do the vast majority of my picture taking on auto.

stktt

Banned
I've never had to work to get great photos from my 1020. Outside of some very basic exposure adjustment, most of my photos are taken with automatic settings.

NeOak

I've never had to work to get great photos from my 1020. Outside of some very basic exposure adjustment, most of my photos are taken with automatic settings.
Same with my 1520, other than turning off flash, all auto.

The one plus one is going to be crap, the camera will be garbage compared to the 1020. How hard is it for Nokia to give us a follow up to the 1020 with a big battery, 1080p screen and a processor that speeds up shot to shot times? Oh yeah, a lot of people believed the crap about you having to put in effort to get a good pic from the 1020. Nobody bought it, and the myth is still being perpetuated, see dlm8r's post. I do the vast majority of my picture taking on auto.

Yep, point the camera outside my car window and snap, look pretty good to me. Since update camera is a bit more sensitive to bright light source and tend to wash out the picture on auto. My main gripe really with the 1020 is the shot to shot time.

Sky1 by antiquegamer, on Flickr

And yeah, OnePlus camera is going to be crap especially at low light, but it will be better than the M8 and the Nexus 5. (I hope)

One reason why phones don't use OLED? Because most tech reviewers are utter shit and would never in a million years acknowledge that one screen with a lower resolution can be substantially better in any way than another screen with a higher resolution. Specs will almost always win out in reviews. which makes consumers think they matter, which makes them sell better.

Only Apple has the marketing prowess to truly tell customers why specs aren't everything, and have those customers actually listen.

Even on NeoGAF you see fanboys of all types putting specs above all else. Even though the iPhone has (or, had) a genuinely better screen with a lower resolution than most Android phones, it was difficult if not impossible for many to acknowledge.

Same thing with the iPhone's camera - sure it's not quite up there with any PureView camera when you have time to configure a PureView camera right, but where the iPhone wins easily is speed, ease of use, and consistency.
yeah, some tech reviewers are hot garbage.

i remember i was reading a Moto G review and it said something along the lines of the screen not being as high of a pixel density or resolution like current flagships such as the GS5, M8 and iPhone 5S... and i'm like "wait, pretty sure the Moto G has a higher PPI than the iPhone 5S, and definitely a higher resolution"

I asked Cortana to tell me a joke and she said:

Why did the hipster burn his mouth drinking his coffee?

Because he drank it before it was cool.

Well, got a chuckle out of me.

ajim

Still haven't had the latest update rolled out here in Australia, at least not on my network! :'(

Nero3000

ANYWAY, can someone tell me what the reason why EVERY phone maker doesn't use OLED screens??? Because this thing is fucking amazing. I know I've gone on about this before, but a week into owning a Windows Phone it's the thing that I keep coming back to. I don't know if it's just the screen, or WP itself, or both -- but this phone is simply gorgeous to look at. I mean, the resolution on the Lumia 635 is complete shit, but the color reproduction and the overall quality of the screen is so good that I'm a week into owning this phone and I don't even notice the low res anymore. Seriously, WHY ISN'T MS USING THIS AS A SELLING POINT!?

Doesn't the 635 have an IPS LCD display? Not OLED.

In that case what you are raving about is the ClearBlack technology from Nokia - which is a circular polarised filter to reduce glare and sunlight. Works wonders for black levels and outdoor legibility.

Don't get me wrong, OLED screens are amazing.

Colour accuracy and daylight visibility.

Oled screens can be as accurate than LCD displays (look at some of the reviews of OLED TVs) - its up to the OEM/User whether to go down this route. Samsung is getting there and Nokia provides the user control.

Daylight visibility is significantly enhanced with ClearBlack in my experience, better than competing products.

Strange, the phone offers multiple display settings, and I actually have mine set to the most muted.

Anyway, who cares. The screen really pops, and rarely gives me that dull feeling like my iphone screen did.
Did you come from a 4 or 4S? The 5 and 5S had pretty significant improvements in color accuracy, I think they're still at the top of the market in that regard.

Anyway, to answer your question about better hardware:
a)The 1020 is a bit too old and too expensive to get a (fully) t-mobile compatible model. At&t disables one of the main HSPA frequency bands that t-mobile uses (1700mhz) so your non-LTE 4G coverage will be a bit limited in places. Canadian 1020s and the unlocked black model in the Microsoft store support this band, but I don't think paying ~$500 for one of these in mid 2014 is a wise idea.
Camera is fantastic but you may eventually find yourself aggravated by the slow speed due to its processor not being optimal for the job.

b)You're going to run into the same problem with the 930 as none of the international models support 1700mhz 4G. If it releases in Canada, it will likely have it but you will not have warranty unless you can send it to a friend up there.

I vaguely recall you mentioning you live in LA (sorry if I've confused you with someone else!) and while there are areas where you will get 4G without the 1700mhz band, its infuriating to be kicked to 2G in other areas. I would honestly sit tight and roll with the 635 unless you need a better camera and/or flash, the experience between low and high end devices is pretty similar.

Nero3000

New handsets soon:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/29/5947583/new-microsoft-windows-phones
Elop showed off what he described as a “selfie phone” during the presentation, alongside video teasers of the two handsets. Microsoft’s selfie phone was previously revealed as codename Superman, a handset with a 5-megapixel forward-facing camera and 4.7-inch display.

The second handset is codenamed “Tesla,” and recently appeared in leaked images. Elop described the Tesla handset as an “affordable high-end phone” with a PureView camera. Tesla will likely debut as a Lumia 720 replacement, and it mark a new effort by Microsoft to push PureView down to even lower price points. The handset looks similar to the squared Lumia 930, but we understand it will be thinner and less bulky.

misiHz6.jpg

and:

@tomwarren said:
Looks like Microsoft’s flagship Windows Phone is simply the Lumia 930 for 2014. If those Sony Windows Phones work out, could change

Looks like 930 is the sane choice for right now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It looks like I'll have to jump ship then. The 930 is a fine device, but Windows Phone needs more than fine.

GG, Microsoft.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It looks like I'll have to jump ship then. The 930 is a fine device, but Windows Phone needs more than fine.

GG, Microsoft.

Why? What is it missing to stop it being a decent flagship for this year? Other than just wanting new because it is new.

ElNino

GG, Microsoft.
Out of curiousity, what would you be looking for in a new phone that the 930 wouldn't have.

Sure, I get that faster chips, better batteries, better screens, etc are desirable... but I don't really see anything on the market (or coming soon) that is really a big jump over what we already have.

Top Bottom