• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

The Flash

Banned
I'm still having issues receiving/sending pictures, web links, and group messages. Anytime I get a text with a pic or anything it just says "Getting media content..." (***KB). Does anyone else have this problem? I'm using a 920 with Straight Talk.

Heretic

Yes and no. It's people streaming themselves playing video games, but no one cares about people. What's popular is "personalities" streaming themselves playing video games. Basically all these Lets Play idiots from YouTube, but live. I couldn't care less about it and I really don't get why it's popular. It's dumb and so is everyone who watches that shit. It's self made reality TV and there's 0 value to it. Fuck that shit.

Sorry, I'm not in a good mood.
*unsubscribes from Brot's channel*

I'm still having issues receiving/sending pictures, web links, and group messages. Anytime I get a text with a pic or anything it just says "Getting media content..." (***KB). Does anyone else have this problem? I'm using a 920 with Straight Talk.

One of the things I noticed was that if the sender deleted their picture before I received it, I would never download it. I would get stuck where you're getting stuck.

JaggedSac

Yes and no. It's people streaming themselves playing video games, but no one cares about people. What's popular is "personalities" streaming themselves playing video games. Basically all these Lets Play idiots from YouTube, but live. I couldn't care less about it and I really don't get why it's popular. It's dumb and so is everyone who watches that shit. It's self made reality TV and there's 0 value to it. Fuck that shit.

Sorry, I'm not in a good mood.

I don't think I've ever come across a post that makes it seem like you were in any mood other than bad, lol.

I see a few sites reporting that Cortana will have a British accent here in the UK. I really hope they give us the choice of switching to her real voice.

Am I understanding this right? Currently, anyone who is in the Developer Preview program for 8.1 needs to manually downgrade to 8.0 or the Cyan update will brick their phone?

For example, I've got a Lumia Icon with the Preview 8.1 on there but no Cyan (it hasn't been released for my model of phone yet). Do I wait this out or should I downgrade?

Am I understanding this right? Currently, anyone who is in the Developer Preview program for 8.1 needs to manually downgrade to 8.0 or the Cyan update will brick their phone?

For example, I've got a Lumia Icon with the Preview 8.1 on there but no Cyan (it hasn't been released for my model of phone yet). Do I wait this out or should I downgrade?

Really? Bummer :(

If I restore to 8.0 will I at least be able to restore my homescreen layout and installed apps?

dLMN8R

I'm pretty sure the expectation is that Developer Preview phones will eventually be able to update, it's just that right now the only option is to downgrade first.

Paganmoon

Neat, this should become part of the OS. I don't understand the diagonally cut one, though.

It's edgy! Like the first one a lot, already using it. Wonder if they'll open up part of the API to use other picture sources on rotation, would love to use APOD pictures or NASA instagram for it.

dLMN8R

I don't like it. On my 920 it animates choppy, takes longer to unlock, responds poorly to swipes, and doesn't let me use custom wallpapers like weather updates.

Paganmoon

well it's beta, and no cyan for 920 yet right? It can only get better!

hope really is the last thing to die...

Edit: notice a minor chop when unlocking the screen, but animates just fine really on the 1020.

kharma45

I don't like it. On my 920 it animates choppy, takes longer to unlock, responds poorly to swipes, and doesn't let me use custom wallpapers like weather updates.

Same performance issues on my 620, although I thought that was just because it's a lower end device. Alas not.

KageMaru

Really? Bummer :(

If I restore to 8.0 will I at least be able to restore my homescreen layout and installed apps?

This is a good question. If I downgrade, then upgrade to cyan, would I be able to use the backup saved from the dev preview?

Not that I should worry, MS will likely update the preview before Verizon releases the cyan update.

KamenSenshi

It works decently right now on both 512mb phones I use,521 and 635, for the most part on the 635 it's about half a second for the time to appear and once it's unlocked I can scroll/select things with no delay, although I have read that some phones have like a second or two before they get back going.

You might need a new sim card, when my daughter was having that problem it was sim card going bad.

MarkusRJR

So is Xbox Video/Music still a safe purchasing platform? I have like $250+ spent on digital Xbox Video movies and TV shows. All this talk about shutting them down is kind of scaring me off spending any more money.

royalan

Testing out the new Lumia 635.

I don't get it.

How can a screen this painfully low-res (seriously, visible pixels is so 2012), simultaneous be this gorgeous? The colors are super vivid on this thing.

8.1 is an OS built to take advantage of lower res screens and it shows. On a lot of the third party apps I've used the low res is obvious (and kinda ugly, in some spots). But all of the OS/native stuff? Simply stunning. I've thought that Metro was easily one of the most eye-catching OS since the damn Zune HD, and I still feel the same way. A LOT of app devs don't understand Metro's design philosophy, and it's fucking gross when I try an app that's clearly trying to force WP to behave like iOS/Android. But again, all the OS/Native shit? In love.

Overall, the Lumia 635 is a little TOO "entry-level" for me to want to make it my main phone, but it's enough to convince me that Windows Phone 8.1 has crazy potential (and is realizing a lot of it). And now I kinda want to import a Lumia 930. Now THAT is some hardware...

Any GAF impressions on the 930?

KageMaru

Any GAF impressions on the 930?

I have the Icon, which is the American version without the cyan update, and I still love it. The screen is gorgeous, performance is excellent, and the camera is excellent. I do wish the battery was larger and the video recording quality is hit or miss. Also I've experienced performance issues with the dev preview. Thankfully most, if not all of the issues are remedied with the cyan update.

Treo360

Check your mms apn settings. I had this problem many a time. In fact post them here.

Anyone have any cool ideas on how to use the "spinning" live lock screen look awesome?

My current idea was to use a Sonic wallpaper that has Sonic spinning with the live lock, but I'm open to other ideas. :)

Top Bottom