• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

First Post from my brand new 930! Im new to wp8 and lumia (waited until my omnia on 7.8 crapped out) so.. These little animations on photos i made with nokia cam are pretty cool. How much space do they take and is there a way ti share them as gifs? Ill have a couple of questions in the future, but this is the most interesting thing atm!

Paganmoon

First Post from my brand new 930! Im new to wp8 and lumia (waited until my omnia on 7.8 crapped out) so.. These little animations on photos i made with nokia cam are pretty cool. How much space do they take and is there a way ti share them as gifs? Ill have a couple of questions in the future, but this is the most interesting thing atm!

When I tested it out early on with my 920, I recall having to go a pretty roundabout way of sharing through Nokia, then have imgur grab the image from the Nokia cinemagraph webpage.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't believe there won't be a flagship for AT&T customers in the Fall. Unbelievable. And really, most of what funky papa said is stuff I felt before I jumped ship, first with an S5 (it sucks, stay away!) and then with an M8 (great software, horrendous camera). The G3 is not a good option, given the issues the display brings to performance and battery life. My M8 was acting up earlier today, and I was just thinking that if I had to trade it in, there is no phone I would replace it with at the moment. I think the iPhone 6 and the Note 3 (depending on software) will be the only phones worth considering in the fall, and that's a damn shame because neither would be as exciting as a 1020 follow up in my view.

I can't believe there won't be a flagship for AT&T customers in the Fall. Unbelievable. And really, most of what funky papa said is stuff I felt before I jumped ship, first with an S5 (it sucks, stay away!) and then with an M8 (great software, horrendous camera). The G3 is not a good option, given the issues the display brings to performance and battery life. My M8 was acting up earlier today, and I was just thinking that if I had to trade it in, there is no phone I would replace it with at the moment. I think the iPhone 6 and the Note 3 (depending on software) will be the only phones worth considering in the fall, and that's a damn shame because neither would be as exciting as a 1020 follow up in my view.

Yeah, it's pathetic. Huge misstep.

L.O.R.D

chc0Btw.png

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/493430170326691840

they really should update tier line up first
my HTC 8X still on GDR2 ( i think )

Yeah, it's pathetic. Huge misstep.
Is it though? The consumers have made their choice, they simply don't care for WP flagships. 530-830 phones will probably get pushed this holiday. Hopefully they do well with their low off contract pricing in comparison to android and iPhone offerings.

f0lken

Is this confirmed though? Or are we just freaking out?

steelcity

Neo Member
I've been watching from a far and really want to jump on the WP8.1 train in a few months. Is there an AT&T Hero device coming in October/November? Preferably a 1020 successor with Snapdragon 801/805?

Is it though? The consumers have made their choice, they simply don't care for WP flagships. 530-830 phones will probably get pushed this holiday. Hopefully they do well with their low off contract pricing in comparison to android and iPhone offerings.

Just sucks for me, I guess. I'm on a 925 right now, which I'm not crazy about. My only lateral or upgrade options are the 1020 or 1520. And I don't want a 6" phone.

PG2G

The Lumia 920 was moderately successful (for a WP device) and now all of the people rolling off of their 2 year contracts have nothing to renew with. So yeah, id consider it a huge misstep.

Just sucks for me, I guess. I'm on a 925 right now, which I'm not crazy about. My only lateral or upgrade options are the 1020 or 1520. And I don't want a 6" phone.
Yeah I mean I didn't really want a 6" phone either, but without any other options and the fact that I can get an unlocked one with Qi, I've talked myself into it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is this confirmed though? Or are we just freaking out?

That's what Tom Warren said.

Edit: so nobody has an at&t 1520 with the official cyan firmware upgrade? I want to know how the performance is with hopefully good drivers and the camera performance.

Treo360

Edit: so nobody has an at&t 1520 with the official cyan firmware upgrade? I want to know how the performance is with hopefully good drivers and the camera performance.
Yeah I'm still waiting for someone to pipe in about the 1520 cyan update. My wife's works fine with the 8.1 developer preview. Would like to know before I go through the hassle of downgrading to 8.0 just to upgrade back to 8.1

Vestal

Yeah I'm still waiting for someone to pipe in about the 1520 cyan update. My wife's works fine with the 8.1 developer preview. Would like to know before I go through the hassle of downgrading to 8.0 just to upgrade back to 8.1

I did it. Camera seems a bit snappier than dev preview.

DO Not INSTALL THE LIVE LOCKSCREEN its broken as fuck. Slows down the entire phone, even after uninstalling it.

I did it. Camera seems a bit snappier than dev preview.

DO Not INSTALL THE LIVE LOCKSCREEN its broken as fuck. Slows down the entire phone, even after uninstalling it.
In case you were unaware, the way to permanently remove the Live Lockscreen is to turn Kid's Corner ON, immediately afterwards you can turn Kid's Corner off again. Really dumb, I know.

royalan

doesn't matter IMO. Even if you aren't going to do a ton of volume, get a nice high end device out there for the halo effect. Just ship fewer if you don't want to lose a ton of money. I think it is a mistake not to refresh the high end this

Shit, its not even ABOUT "refreshing the high end" in the states yet. If you're not on Verizon, you can't even get the 930 here.

For the life of me I do not understand carrier exclusivity in 2014.

Shit, its not even ABOUT "refreshing the high end" in the states yet. If you're not on Verizon, you can't even get the 930 here.

If the 930 really is all they have for the high end this year, I think there's a chance a new revision will be available unlocked with at&t/t-mobile cellular frequencies at Microsoft stores at the very least. They would be foolish not to, even if there's no possibility for carrier deals.

KageMaru

Is the 1520 going to be on Verizon this year? My contract will be up on January I think and I desperately want a bigger screen.

Rumor is we'll see the 1525 later this year on Verizon and At&T. Basically sounds like a 1520 with a 801 chip.

Unfortunately MS isn't a big enough player so they have to make deals with the carriers to even carry their phones.

hankster

Son of a WHORE. (not you VM)

Ok who wants to join me in line at the nearest Apple store? Dammit dammit dammit...

I do. Everything is pretty great so far, although there are some annoyances with 8.1 as has been repeated here many times. But the Cyan improvements to the camera are very real!

So I'm just now discovering how some of a camera's features and settings benefit a camera -- namely the exposure, right now, thanks to my Icon.

I have a strong urge to find some sort of camera tripod mount thing... Does such a thing exist for the Icon?

MarkusRJR

I am continually surprised that the only Windows Phones available in Canada are the Lumia 520, Lumia 625, and Lumia 1020. They are only available on three carriers (technically two since one is a subsidiary of another) and near impossible to find in stores, except for maybe the 520. Even more embarrassing is that the 1020 is EOL and hard to find. The only place to reliably buy it is unlocked on the Microsoft Store. But good news! The Lumia 635 is coming out "soon"...

It's like Nokia/MS don't even care anymore if they're at like less than 1% user base. A few simple decisions (like making modern hardware available, having US software/features available in Canada, not having the 920 exclusive to Rogers, selling phones unlocked on MS Store, etc) could have made things work out a lot better. I mean Blackberry seems to have more of a presence, and they've done jack shit since early 2013.

Nero3000

GDR1 Official:http://www.wpcentral.com/official-update-1-windows-phone-81-next-week-preview

- Expansion of Cortana to UK and china (Canada, Australia & India can opt in for an english version)
- Can say "Call Cortana" over (in-car) bluetooth to start cortana (for old
stupid
bluetooth systems - i'm lookin at you Audi)
- Live Folders
- enablement of Xbox Music stuff (live tile, performance, more black screens etc.)
- SMS multiple copy/paste
- Store is a live tile
- Apps corner.....
- oooo high voltage charging for S800 phones (25% charge in 12min, 50 in 24, 75 in 42)
- improved IE
- VPN through wifi
- smart covers
- Rumours of GDR2 before the end of the year

The biggest thing here is features in a quicker cadence. Long may it continue.

Lucifon

Erm, why? I do believe we speak the same language.

And we don't hate Halo.

No doubt to add a robot voice with some kind of stereotypical generic British accent instead. This is not how we sound in the UK, nor is it what we want our voice assistants to speak like.

Cortana should be Cortana, it's kind of the whole point. By removing that it loses all personality. As you say, we speak the same language...

At least give us an option, can't talk to Cortana without hearing Jen Taylor's voice replying to my dumb queries.

I WANTS MA CORTANA.

also want that 8.1 update soon please

Everdred

I reverted my 1520 to 8.0 to get Cyan. Now that I have it, is it safe to go back on the preview so that I can get GDR1 next week? Any interference?

Lucius86

Banned
No doubt to add a robot voice with some kind of stereotypical generic British accent instead. This is not how we sound in the UK, nor is it what we want our voice assistants to speak like.

Cortana should be Cortana, it's kind of the whole point. By removing that it loses all personality. As you say, we speak the same language...

Aye. Just keep her American accent, make sure the text is in English. Simples.

Microsoft is localizing the voice and a lot of content for each region, but the Chinese version is getting some interesting changes along the way. In China Cortana will have a different visual appearance with slightly tweaked animations and sounds. This is mainly to introduce eyes to the small bouncing character, something Microsoft found very important for China in particular. The special face, complete with eyes, will not be available outside of China.

Ohhh. I can't wait to see the animations for this little thing.

8Bbpetr.jpg

Top Bottom