• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

He did say that the current implementation wasn't close to final. I wouldn't expect to see the taskbar there anymore, for instance.

But the charms bar is vital on a tablet imo - easy access to settings and sharing etc. should not be replaced by having to press the windows button and going to settings there. Nor should it be left to the apps themselves, the way it is in 8.1 works and makes sense.

Same thing with the current easy application switching by swiping in from the left. It's a brilliant thing and I'm afraid that they'll complicate things.

I haven't listened to it yet and I don't have a tablet running 10.
Yet.
So I'm talking out of my ass, like I always do. But here is my take!

From what I've understood so far, the taskbar is here to stay in tablet mode.
Settings for the app will be accessed through the Hamburger.
Quick settings are in the notification center, which can be accessed by swiping in from the side at all times.
No idea about app switching.

The Taskbar behavior can still change, though, as the bitching feedback about it in the Feedback app is pretty loud.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah app settings will go away from charms, but I was more talking about quick access to general settings (screen brightness, devices, seeing date and time etc.) and sharing.

Having a taskbar makes zero sense and since the bitching is loud and clear as you say, I don't expect that to stay.

W8 is much maligned, but if there's one thing they got right it's touch. It's far superior to the competition imo. To complicate things and make them more windows desktop-y would be a major step back.

edit:

I really like the app switching in W10, tablet or desktop.

Really? I don't at all.

Speaking of app switching!

MJ1NPEV.png

"The new multitasking screen shown above displays open/recent apps in a card like manner, similar to how Meego or BB10 showed them, allowing you to quickly view all your open apps at once, while presumably still swiping them away (or simply pressing “x”) to close them. "

and more stuff

oHQQovV.png

tLNq1OL.png

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah app settings will go away from charms, but I was more talking about quick access to general settings (screen brightness, devices, seeing date and time etc.) and sharing.

Having a taskbar makes zero sense and since the bitching is loud and clear as you say, I don't expect that to stay.

W8 is much maligned, but if there's one thing they got right it's touch. It's far superior to the competition imo. To complicate things and make them more windows desktop-y would be a major step back.

edit:

Really? I don't at all.

If you have 5 apps open it seems easier doing one swipe and a tap rather than multiple swipes to get to what you want or a odd half gesture to see what is open.

deleted

I just got my HP Stream 7 with Windows 8.1

For some reason, the browser agent isn't set to mobile, which is a bit ridiculous, considering we are talking about a 7" display here.

I read that you can change the User Agent string somehow, somewhere, but I couldn't find out how.. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Quoting myself for the new page.

Can anyone from Windows 8.1 GAF support my failed google fu?

I think the taskbar will be there the whole time (unless the app declares it wants to run full screen, then you have to swipe from bottom to show it up), but that it will be different in tablet mode, moving away from showing the opened apps, and focusing on navigation (windows button, back button, task switcher), and search... At least I'm hoping so.

hadareud

The Translator
If you have 5 apps open it seems easier doing one swipe and a tap rather than multiple swipes to get to what you want or a odd half gesture to see what is open.

I need to qualify, I meant on the tablet - on desktop I don't dislike it at all.

In 8.1 you can swipe in short from the left to get all open apps and then choose the one you want to go to. Not very intuitive and something that can improved upon, but the current implementation in W10 is far worse imo. It requires an extra touch in most instances, it's really frustrating when you just want to go to your last used app and are used to getting there quickly and don't anymore.

That's why I always preferred the app bar over the endless swiping.

FXYm4kT.jpg

You can switch the behavior in the settings.

MCD

cool to see all the work done by joe and terry on mobile replaced by the real windows team.

I will take the new ugly flat look over their stupid restrictions that killed wp.

dLMN8R

He did say that the current implementation wasn't close to final. I wouldn't expect to see the taskbar there anymore, for instance.

But the charms bar is vital on a tablet imo - easy access to settings and sharing etc. should not be replaced by having to press the windows button and going to settings there. Nor should it be left to the apps themselves, the way it is in 8.1 works and makes sense.

Same thing with the current easy application switching by swiping in from the left. It's a brilliant thing and I'm afraid that they'll complicate things.

The Settings Charm was a bad way of accomplishing this though. I know this not just from talking with friends and family who used Windows 8 for months without understanding how to access the Charms bar (or what it does), but also through pure data (which I won't go into detail here)

You're absolutely right that quick access to settings are a must, so that's why they're integrated right into Action Center :)

As for specific settings like quick access to brightness in Action Center, well, newer builds are much better about that.

I haven't listened to it yet and I don't have a tablet running 10.
Yet.
So I'm talking out of my ass, like I always do. But here is my take!

From what I've understood so far, the taskbar is here to stay in tablet mode.
Settings for the app will be accessed through the Hamburger.
Quick settings are in the notification center, which can be accessed by swiping in from the side at all times.
No idea about app switching.

The Taskbar behavior can still change, though, as the bitching feedback about it in the Feedback app is pretty loud.
Stuff like Taskbar presence in Tablet Mode are still in flux with multiple options being presented to selfhosters both internally and externally - the OS now actually has the ability to do A/B testing like this, and such testing might just end up leaving it as an option for users to be able to choose what they want.

But yes, app settings will be accessed through the hamburger on the app's chrome in the upper-left corner, but that's just for 8.1 apps. Any new Universal apps will be expected to handle their own UI for settings, and that includes all of the apps shipping within the OS by the time the OS comes out. There are still some stragglers using the old controls I think

For app switching, I think the new Task View you get when swiping in from the left (same view as Win+Tab) is so much better than the app switcher in 8.1. Not only does it work consistently to Win+Tab and Alt+Tab, but it lets you manage multiple desktops too, and it shows desktop apps. So Desktop apps and modern/Universal apps are treated as equal citizens by gestures and app switching instead of Desktop apps and Modern apps being siloed off into their own confusing separate worlds.

hadareud

The Translator
The Settings Charm was a bad way of accomplishing this though. I know this not just from talking with friends and family who used Windows 8 for months without understanding how to access the Charms bar (or what it does), but also through pure data (which I won't go into detail here)

You're absolutely right that quick access to settings are a must, so that's why they're integrated right into Action Center :)

As for specific settings like quick access to brightness in Action Center, well, newer builds are much better about that.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'm not so hung up on the specifics of the charms bar, but there has to be a way to replace its functionality and have it accessible in a similarly easy fashion (hopefully without the taskbar, which really makes no sense in tablet mode imo). I'm sure you're (as in MS) working on stuff, but his wording on the podcast had me a bit worried that it may be a step back.

dLMN8R

I haven't actually listened to it yet, interested to hear what he has to say.

Gabe is a cool dude, his public persona is totally genuine and he's always been just as passionate inside. But at his level it's not always easy to remember every single detail of every single feature :p

Nero3000

But task switching from the left hand side?

At least in 8.1 something came from your thumb, rather than it switching to an arbitrary view.

Using 8.1 on the stream 7 I bought was the first experience with Windows touch interface I've had. I have to say I liked it. It's good at most things. I had Win 10 on it for a while but it's still too early for that really.

Stuck 8.1 back on the Stream 7 and will be keeping 8.1 on my XPS when it arrives. Desktop is still running 10 so I'll make the switch when I noticed it getting better.

deleted

José Mourinho;159492109 said:
Using 8.1 on the stream 7 I bought was the first experience with Windows touch interface I've had. I have to say I liked it. It's good at most things. I had Win 10 on it for a while but it's still too early for that really.

Stuck 8.1 back on the Stream 7 and will be keeping 8.1 on my XPS when it arrives. Desktop is still running 10 so I'll make the switch when I noticed it getting better.

I just a Stream 7 too - could you get the IE to work as a mobile browser?

And could you circumvent the battery draining?

Nero3000

Been using a 435 for the last few days as my 930 gets repaired.

Its quite nifty. The biggest drawback is the screen quality (although not size). But for £25 its not bad.

Will put w10 on it today (if its on the device list.)

I just a Stream 7 too - could you get the IE to work as a mobile browser?

And could you circumvent the battery draining?
I looked briefly for a setting to get sites to display as mobile but I believe there isn't any such option. I've taken to browsing in landscape for sites that don't respond well or that would otherwise have a mobile site.

As for the battery drain. There were couple of PowerShell scripts I came across with associated scheduled tasks which were supposed to toggle WiFi and audio on sleep on/off but they wouldn't trigger for me despite everything looking to be okay. Other folks had said they worked for them however.

deleted

José Mourinho;159578305 said:
I looked briefly for a setting to get sites to display as mobile but I believe there isn't any such option. I've taken to browsing in landscape for sites that don't respond well or that would otherwise have a mobile site.

As for the battery drain. There were couple of PowerShell scripts I came across with associated scheduled tasks which were supposed to toggle WiFi and audio on sleep on/off but they wouldn't trigger for me despite everything looking to be okay. Other folks had said they worked for them however.

Yep, I tried those too, but they didn't do anything for me neither. How do you work around the problem?

Yep, I tried those too, but they didn't do anything for me neither. How do you work around the problem?
the days I've used it I've just shut it down and charged it that night -- rather than keep it on sleep. I've not been using it to heavily though. Mostly just light browsing now and then. I usually keep the sound off but that's about the only measure I take.

Nero3000

So quick question to you lot.

My mobile network has been blocking certain IP adresses forever, and im sick of it. so i was wondering if i could enable some sort of built in VPN gateway on a desktop at home (W8.1 Pro), and use the VPN settings on the phone, to get around this (sports streaming).

Does anyone know if this is possible and how i should do it?

dLMN8R

Like the first Phone preview, just make sure you carefully read through the list of known limitations and bugs in the preview coming out today once it's published, before you push the button and update.

Ape

Banned
if it's coming to the 920 I'll do it. Haven't touched them in a long time so this will be something fun to explore for a few minutes.

NeOak

Like the first Phone preview, just make sure you carefully read through the list of known limitations and bugs in the preview coming out today once it's published, before you push the button and update.
I'm waiting to see if I can use it a daily driver if the limitations are something I can deal with.

Top Bottom