• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Milchjon

I just can't get over the fact that The Verge used the review for one of the biggest tech products in years to plug their sister sites. It's pretty hilarious.

Otherwise, despite some weird sentences, they at least didn't gloss over the flaws. You don't have to look too hard to realize that it's somewhat pointless, which seems like a step forward.

Milchjon

Alright, Gruber

You’re 16. You’re in school. You’re sitting in class. You have a crush on another student — you’ve fallen hard. You can’t stop thinking about them. You suspect the feelings are mutual — but you don’t know. You’re afraid to just come right out and ask, verbally — afraid of the crushing weight of rejection. But you both wear an Apple Watch. So you take a flyer and send a few taps. And you wait. Nothing in response. Dammit. Why are you so stupid? Whoa — a few taps are sent in return, along with a hand-drawn smiley face. You send more taps. You receive more taps back. This is it. You send your heartbeat. It is racing, thumping. Your crush sends their heartbeat back.

You’re flirting. Not through words. Not through speech. Physically flirting, by touch. And you’re not even in the same classroom. Maybe you don’t even go to the same school.

...that's just... I don't even know what to say.

Fanfic in tech reviews.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
BWHAHAHAHAHA.

I haven't seen such a display of naked fanboyism, self complacence and pandering for a tech product since the original iPhone.

If ever.

hadareud

The Translator
Unrelated, but I just read out Gabe Aul's name out loud for the first time.

This is when I noticed that it is a fairly unfortunate name.

Milchjon

Unrelated, but I just read out Gabe Aul's name out loud for the first time.

This is when I noticed that it is a fairly unfortunate name.

gay_bowl_logo-13012.jpg

(yes, I dared a Google image search for that term. Now Bing would be a different matter)

Ape

Banned
Alright, Gruber

...that's just... I don't even know what to say.

Fanfic in tech reviews.

That's relevant to me.

Hey, did they turn the comments off on the verge for the review? I was going to troll the shit out of them but its not allowing me to post.

Nero3000

Sorry but what got me was the 5 paragraphs saying the time is accurate.

Its a fucking computer connected to the internet...i would fucking hope so.

Nero3000

Also from gruber in 2010
I feel like I spend so much time on my iPhone not because it’s inefficient, but because it’s so good. I’m never more than a few seconds away from something at least somewhat engaging.

and tbh he hasn't gone with the same party line as others with "it saves you time, and you $1000 phone should stay in your pocket".

Ape

Banned
Sorry but what got me was the 5 paragraphs saying the time is accurate.

Its a fucking computer connected to the internet...i would fucking hope so.

Even if my clock is more accurate than yours by 0.000002% what does that do for me? some imperceptible amount of accuracy isn't a selling point to me. That comes off more as salesman garbage.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So my M8 android phone got lollipop today. Everything is fast and beautiful. I might do a comparison of core apps between that and my 930. It appears that there isn't just an app gap, there is a performance gap that's starting to widen between android and WP, for core apps. And functionality. Chrome is getting better at a rapid clip, even though it's still a battery killing, sometimes buggy browser. I'm worried that Spartan will be too late. And WP10, while we are at it. Google has a lot of fixing to do with lollipop, but they've extended functionality and smoothness and cohesiveness.

Unfortunately, all that progress can still be undone by rogue apps, and as I add back apps, performance is going to degrade, unlike WP, which proves reliable for longer and with more apps.

You know what I personally think is worse than the fanfic in Gruber's piece? This shit right here.

"There is also one scenario where Apple Watch is far superior to my regular watches when checking the time: in the dark. Also, though it sounds trivial, I enjoy the perfect 60 FPS smoothness of Apple Watch’s second hand — a smoothness no mechanical watch could ever match."

I don't even know what I could say. I'm speechless.

Nero3000

You know what I personally think is worse than the fanfic in Gruber's piece? This shit right here.

"There is also one scenario where Apple Watch is far superior to my regular watches when checking the time: in the dark. Also, though it sounds trivial, I enjoy the perfect 60 FPS smoothness of Apple Watch’s second hand — a smoothness no mechanical watch could ever match."

I kinda agree with him...as in I like the smooth second hand movement.

I've seen clocks like that, but never a watch, although I'm sure they exist.

Zeknurn

It's like he has never seen a watch before Apple released one.

hadareud

The Translator

My mother had a watch like that in the 70s (probably 60s), not joking.

Also, I disliked it quite a bit. The whole point of the second hand for me is to track seconds, something that's a lot harder (almost impossible) when it smoothly moves along without the satisfying second to second jump.

But that's just a personal preference.

Anyway, the second to second jump (ie real life) is still slightly smoother than the unbelievable smoothness that 60fps smoothly provides.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

*howls*

I get what he means, but what he describes is something completely different and so dumb. Even if the second hand has a digital movement, it's obviously still happening at "60 fps", because that's what your fucking eyes see. Or was his brain capped at 30 fps before he looked at the Apple Watch? Oh my fucking GOD!

derFeef

My life has been a choppy mess the whole time. Thanks Apple, for showing me the smoothness,

In WP related news, readit updated to readit² beta.

kharma45

Treo360

Nearly every Automatic watch out there has a smooth second hand sweep, as does the bulova line of precisionist quartz watches and accutron II.

Edit: beaten

giga

Pretty telling that you guys can't tell that even the best automatic watches don't have a perfectly smooth sweep. That was his point. It's a minute detail, but that's what he was saying and it's not inaccurate.

kharma45

Pretty telling that you guys can't tell that even the best automatic watches don't have a perfectly smooth sweep. That was his point. It's a minute detail, but that's what he was saying and it's not inaccurate.

Neither I nor Treo360 said they were perfectly smooth, only that watches exist with a sweeping second hand like the clocks Nero3000 mentioned.

He is right though, the smoothness of the second hand on that digital display will be better than any mechanical one, it'd be worrying if it wasn't.

giga

Neither I nor Treo360 said they were perfectly smooth, only that watches exist with a sweeping second hand like the clocks Nero3000 mentioned.

He is right though, the smoothness of the second hand on that digital display will be better than any mechanical one, it'd be worrying if it wasn't.
Well, that's his point. Nothing more to it than that.

JaggedSac

Sounds like the perfect plot device for a sequel to Lucy! Instead of drugs, it's the watch that unlocks the brain. Quick, get Scarlett Johansson and Brett Ratner on the phone!

The watch only intimate scene would be incredible. The pulses and the vibrations....I couldn't handle it.

deleted

I just got my HP Stream 7 with Windows 8.1

For some reason, the browser agent isn't set to mobile, which is a bit ridiculous, considering we are talking about a 7" display here.

I read that you can change the User Agent string somehow, somewhere, but I couldn't find out how.. Can someone point me in the right direction?

hadareud

The Translator
Listening to Mr. G. Ball on the windows weekly podcast.

Getting a bit concerned that they'll fuck up the tablet mode of W10.

stktt

Banned
Yeah, I still don't understand the rationale behind keeping the taskbar enabled for tablet mode. Windows 8's gesture based interface wasn't always intuitive, but I would prefer swiping from the left to access the task viewer and swiping from the right to access a notification center/status bar hybrid to the current implementation.

hadareud

The Translator
He did say that the current implementation wasn't close to final. I wouldn't expect to see the taskbar there anymore, for instance.

But the charms bar is vital on a tablet imo - easy access to settings and sharing etc. should not be replaced by having to press the windows button and going to settings there. Nor should it be left to the apps themselves, the way it is in 8.1 works and makes sense.

Same thing with the current easy application switching by swiping in from the left. It's a brilliant thing and I'm afraid that they'll complicate things.

Top Bottom