• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

nubbe

Ordered a 930 for about €340
pretty good deal

Time to replace the 1020, will still keep it for the camera function.

trying to get my 635 back to 8.1 but the lumia software recovery tool isn't recognizing my phone.

i remember i had the same issue with my 920 but there was a fix. anyone remember?

edit: found it. needed to hold power and volume down at the same time until phone resets, then the recovery tool software detects it.

Klocker

Any one else having issues connecting to the email and our other accounts on windows phone?

All my other computers connect fine. Been five hours on phone and no accounts can be updated.

NeOak

Any one else having issues connecting to the email and our other accounts on windows phone?

All my other computers connect fine. Been five hours on phone and no accounts can be updated.

Did you restart the phone?

I have this problem with one of my emails when i am in a certain place that requires WPA Enterprise, but that is due to somehow being blocked on the WI-FI. I turn on Wi-Fi and i get the emails no problem with LTE.

Klocker

Yes have restarted several times and have tried with LTE and two different Wifi connections.
I guess refresh may be next if it doesn't fix itself soon. Was just wondering if it was a Microsoft sync issue before I do that.
Thx

Edit... Ok my gf's 635 doing same thing. No outlook email for 6 hours now

Yes have restarted several times and have tried with LTE and two different Wifi connections.
I guess refresh may be next if it doesn't fix itself soon. Was just wondering if it was a Microsoft sync issue before I do that.
Thx

Edit... Ok my gf's 635 doing same thing. No outlook email for 6 hours now

Hotmail/outlook might be down, I couldn't send email the last hour or so.

José Mourinho;159020359 said:
That's his point. Snapchat policy precludes Rudy from releasing his 3rd party app. So the question is, do people still feel that it's viable to write off the lack of official apps in favour of the sometimes better -- but mostly worse -- 3rd party apps, when the 3rd party versions can be shut down in a minutes notice?

This platform will live or die by it's official app support. Spoiler alert, it'll die.

I'm pretty excited about jumping ship, said I'd do it last time round but mugged myself off and didn't.

Mac OS survive just fine in the environment of PC dominated (98% marketshare at one point I think), Microsoft just need to make products that people want to use, and support it with their own apps (or doing thing like their own Facebook app, but that doesn't suck). I know they can not make all the apps but having a full function browser (and choice) go a long way in help with the lack of apps. If they can get enough app that most use and keep it up to date and high quality they could may be survive as a niche player in this space. They could have done it with Lumia 1020 successor and bill it as premium Phone / camera with nice photo editing suite, etc and they could have a winner. Same strategy they did with Surface Pro ... it might not have all the apps of Apple or Android tablet but it has the pen , great with OneNote etc.

It's one of the reason I was so excited with Surface 3 because while it does lack apps it made up for it by running full Windows, but then Microsoft did another stupid Icon move and doing an exclusive deal for LTE version which mean they just lost me as a customer since I am on At&t.

Klocker

Hotmail/outlook might be down, I couldn't send email the last hour or so.
Thanks

Edit
Problem We are aware that users of the following mail clients are experiencing issues syncing and sending email. We are working on the issue and expect resolution in the next 24 hours. - Windows Live Mail - Outlook Connector - MSN Premium client. - Windows Phone 8.1 - Windows 8 Mail Client April 07 9:34 PM
Updates We're still working on the problem and will provide an update by April 08 1:00 AM. We apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience. April 07 11

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So two friend of mine abandoned ship. One went with One+ and other getting S6 next week.

I feel like we are the only few one who supports WP, even Microsoft dont seem serious :( but I love Windows Phone.

Mac OS survive just fine in the environment of PC dominated (98% marketshare at one point I think), Microsoft just need to make products that people want to use, and support it with their own apps (or doing thing like their own Facebook app, but that doesn't suck). I know they can not make all the apps but having a full function browser (and choice) go a long way in help with the lack of apps. If they can get enough app that most use and keep it up to date and high quality they could may be survive as a niche player in this space. They could have done it with Lumia 1020 successor and bill it as premium Phone / camera with nice photo editing suite, etc and they could have a winner. Same strategy they did with Surface Pro ... it might not have all the apps of Apple or Android tablet but it has the pen , great with OneNote etc.

It's one of the reason I was so excited with Surface 3 because while it does lack apps it made up for it by running full Windows, but then Microsoft did another stupid Icon move and doing an exclusive deal for LTE version which mean they just lost me as a customer since I am on At&t.
Verizon's version maybe unlocked so there's still hope. If you don't mind the Verizon branding.

hadareud

The Translator
Just read through a few Apple watch reviews.

It's pretty amazing how Apple manage to have people think about (and review based on) what their products or rather future generations of their products may be able to in the future rather than what they actually do right now or in the near term.

They really are the only company that manages to sell a vision rather than a product and they don't even have to provide the actual vision - their customers do it for them.

Milchjon

It's pretty amazing how Apple manage to have people think about (and review based on) what their products or rather future generations of their products may be able to in the future rather than what they actually do right now or in the near term.

They really are the only company that manages to sell a vision rather than a product and they don't even have to provide the actual vision - their customers do it for them.

It looks like such a mess from an interaction standpoint in the Verge review.

To me, it looks like it's pretty much Google Glass with a slightly lower "you look like an asshole" factor.

Edit: Lolololol at the shameless Eater plug in their video review. What the hell.

I'd say that it all leads back to the original iPhone and maybe the iPad. They've shown that they can execute and iterate really well over time, which leads to people giving them a pass for their shitty 1st gen products.

hadareud

The Translator
It looks like such a mess from an interaction standpoint in the Verge review.

To me, it looks like it's pretty much Google Glass with a slightly lower "you look like an asshole" factor.

Yes pretty much. As far as I can see, so far they've done nothing to suggest that wearables are essential. Apart from it looking ok, it has little going for it imo.

That said, if they do sell the volumes that I suspect they will sell, this will change quickly - because even if the functionality and use of the thing doesn't make sense, if everyone else has one, everyone else will get one too, making it essential.

I'd say that it all leads back to the original iPhone and maybe the iPad. They've shown that they can execute and iterate really well over time, which leads to people giving them a pass for their shitty 1st gen products.

Yes that's definitely true.

Having said that, other companies would have gone bankrupt before they'd been allowed to improve those products over time.

Yes pretty much. As far as I can see, so far they've done nothing to suggest that wearables are essential. Apart from it looking ok, it has little going for it imo.

That said, if they do sell the volumes that I suspect they will sell, this will change quickly - because even if the functionality and use of the thing doesn't make sense, if everyone else has one, everyone else will get one too, making it essential.

Yes that's definitely true.

Having said that, other companies would have gone bankrupt before they'd been allowed to improve those products over time.

Pip-Boy 1.0 here we go.

The Galaxy S6 Edge screen is just stupid sexy in person. Shits on anything I've seen before.

849€ is mental, though.

I saw both the 6 and the 6 edge this past weekend. I thought the edge was too sharp to be comfortable and there was a slight discoloration along the right edge of the screen which was not as obvious on the left side. Apparently it's not an isolated issue. If I were to go Android I would just stick with the 6 and keep that $100.

Vyer

Tech threads on GAF are always talking about the 'next' version of everything and how they will make up for current flaws.

Shit, most of the Windows phone threads are fueled by Hope.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, sure.

But tech threads on GAF are not necessarily comparable to reviews by the media. At the end of the day, they should, and usually do, review the product that they are testing and not what could be in several months time let alone the potential of its successor.

Listen, I'm not knocking Apple. It's not their fault that their competition is far worse at capturing their followers imagination than they are. Or at building a large and loyal, semi religious follower base in the first place.

Vyer

Yes, sure.

But tech threads on GAF are not necessarily comparable to reviews by the media. At the end of the day, they should, and usually do, review the product that they are testing and not what could be in several months time let alone the potential of its successor.

Listen, I'm not knocking Apple. It's not their fault that their competition is far worse at capturing their followers imagination than they are. Or at building a large and loyal, semi religious follower base in the first place.

Tech media talks about 'future iterations' all the time. That's why it happens so much in any tech discussion. It's the nature of the game. This isn't something specific to Apple, nor their 'followers'.

clav

I can't understand Microsoft has completely failed to integrate Xbox, WP, and Windows in any meaningful way.

Management explains why the company shook its structure.

Everyone is disappointed, but the situation can only get better from here.

hadareud

The Translator
*shrug*. That's fine, too. Just don't see anything to support that argument. Info about tech that isn't your preference doesn't always come down to bias or 'religious followers'.

Not sure where you got that from. I'm not talking about bias, I never was.

I said Apple were doing a good job selling their vision.

If you find that objectionable that's fine, but I wasn't constructing a conspiracy theory. As for the religious following comment of mine, that's not something exclusive to Apple, either. By no means. They've managed to gain the largest such following though, by some distance.

Vyer

Not sure where you got that from. I'm not talking about bias, I never was.

I said Apple were doing a good job selling their vision.

If you find that objectionable that's fine, but I wasn't constructing a conspiracy theory. As for the religious following comment of mine, that's not something exclusive to Apple, either. By no means. They've managed to gain the largest such following though, by some distance.

Yeah, maybe so, though I would say Google's 'following' is as substantial if not greater at this point. They inundate just about every mobile tech discussion on the web.

Don't necessarily disagree with your vision point, either. just saying that the '1st gen' consideration is maybe a little more universal than that, that's all. Rereading that Moto 360 verge review, for example, seems to be just as high on the potential of Android Wear with the 360 as the device itself.

I don't think you can find more pessimistic threads than those regarding Windows Phone, well maybe Halo OT.

Yeah, perhaps 'looming dread' is more apt. Still: the future!

Nero3000

930 and Icon not supported becuase the UI is too small.

Hmmm, i would have always liked the option to have the 1520 size UI on the 930.

New build out on Friday.

iR5BMoAP8iZF6.gif

ipL04QpqBwwZx.gif

ibvLabWLZuR2Dt.gif

hadareud

The Translator
That's nothing.

New York Times said:
By notifying me of digital events as soon as they happened, and letting me act on them instantly, without having to fumble for my phone, the Watch became something like a natural extension of my body — a direct link, in a way that I’ve never felt before, from the digital world to my brain.

Top Bottom