• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

joshschw

Luckily, my backup restored my NeoGAF tile from WP 8.1 :p

If I do return this phone (not saying I am), it will be because of the battery life. I HAVE to assume this is a fixable software issue, given the larger battery vs my 830.

When I go into Battery Saver and check my usage, it shows:

System: 35%
Display: 58%
Wi-Fi: 5%
Cellular data: .8%

Display 58%?? What the hell. I'd take a screenshot but the screenshot taking seems to be broken, lol.

Kinda cool thing happened: I missed a call from my dad. My Surface alerted me and I wrote a text, via Cortana, on my Surface, which was then sent and delivered via my phone.

How long is your return window I would give it a couple weeks. My battery has been fine on preview builds for about a month or so now - so it should even itself out. Though that 950 series display has GOT to be a battery hog... needlessly high resolution.

The missed call thing was cool until you had to use Cortana for it ;)
Why????

PG2G

My 1520's display uses 54% of the battery, the display is the major contributer on any phone.

That said, feel like battery life is worse on this build than it was on the last.

How long is your return window I would give it a couple weeks. My battery has been fine on preview builds for about a month or so now - so it should even itself out. Though that 950 series display has GOT to be a battery hog... needlessly high resolution.

The missed call thing was cool until you had to use Cortana for it ;)
Why????

Yeah, trying to pinpoint any specific apps or settings that are causing drain. Have my display set o 25% and it's still perfectly adequate. Anything above 50% hurts my eyes.

As for Cortana, at this point, it's the only way to handle those scenarios because you can't sms via the W10 desktop Messaging app yet. Once you can, you'll be able to send them straight from desktop.

joshschw

Yeah, trying to pinpoint any specific apps or settings that are causing drain. Have my display set o 25% and it's still perfectly adequate. Anything above 50% hurts my eyes.

As for Cortana, at this point, it's the only way to handle those scenarios because you can't sms via the W10 desktop Messaging app yet. Once you can, you'll be able to send them straight from desktop.

Let's hope so - regarding the desktop messaging. It needs to come BEFORE redstone next summer imo. Clearly the desktop is capable of reading and writing SMS messages so it should be possible.

The new battery saver stuff is super detailed but it also makes it difficult to see what's what because there's just an overwhelming amount of information.

I would say it wouldn't hurt to do a hard reset - sure it should not be necessary, but we all know this OS is not actually even remotely finished....

My 1520's display uses 54% of the battery, the display is the major contributer on any phone.

That said, feel like battery life is worse on this build than it was on the last.

Ah, thanks for the input--glad to hear that's "normal".

So... phone felt super cheap cause the battery wasn't in haha feels much better with the added weight. XL on the 25th!

Hahaha, you know, I was wondering if that might be the case. I was shocked at how light my phone was...and then I saw the battery :p

nillapuddin

Messed around with the 950 in my AT&T store today, fwiw they are right next to the iphones and they had cases (ugly) and screen protectors. But nothing fancy, no special graphics or display unit. I liked it alot.

I need a Lifeproof style case for me

And a cyan one of these for my girlfriend
CC-3089---Lumia-640---case---2x1-jpg.jpg

and MS will have my money.

I would say it wouldn't hurt to do a hard reset - sure it should not be necessary, but we all know this OS is not actually even remotely finished....

I'm gonna keep an eye on it, but Battery Saver isn't that useful so far. No particular app's usage is "high"--the highest is 9%. I'm really hoping software can fix this.

Again, the screen looks FANTASTIC--but I actually turned it down to the lowest setting today (0%) and its still perfectly adequate. I hope their auto-brightness/dimming gets adjusted.

As much as I like it, turning off Windows Hello. Phone already seems like it doesn't get as hot.

FWIW, Hello was working perfectly for me last night at a campfire, and even when I walked away and was in the dark. IR camera? Plus the phones brightness probably helped. Really impressed by it but it IS beta at this point.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
As much as I like it, turning off Windows Hello. Phone already seems like it doesn't get as hot.

FWIW, Hello was working perfectly for me last night at a campfire, and even when I walked away and was in the dark. IR camera? Plus the phones brightness probably helped. Really impressed by it but it IS beta at this point.

Yep, it's IR. Actually works better in the dark than in bright sunlight. Also, Hello has known to be a battery drainer on the surface book. These are the kinds of issues that I worry about and why I wouldn't buy a 950 from at&t. MS can update the firmware on their surface products without a problem, but this phone? No.

welp

I guess I can tip my glasses down while using it. Give it the old-fashioned stare.
They really should have gone with a fingerprint reader.

Think the Ars article pointed out that Hello is useful for computets but a fingerprint reader is much more phone friendly, which I'd be inclined to agree with.

Heretic

Doesn't seem to work with glasses.

The review at arstechnica covers this.

welp

I guess I can tip my glasses down while using it. Give it the old-fashioned stare.

José Mourinho;186441689 said:

Think the Ars article pointed out that Hello is useful for computets but a fingerprint reader is much more phone friendly, which I'd be inclined to agree with.

I was wrong... It works now. I guess you just need to teach it that it's you with glasses on.

hadareud

The Translator
I'd imagine that you would have to do a few scans with and without glasses for it to work properly.

If it's anything like Hello on the SP4 the more you use the improve recognition thing in different scenarios, the more reliable and faster it will work.

I'm talking about 3 or 4 scans in total, so not unreasonable.

Alpende

I have an issue with a windows phone. My dad has a Nokia Lumia 630 and it can't connect to our WiFi. Every device works yet the phone just keeps saying 'Can't connect to the network'. It did connect before but now it just refuses.

Any solutions?

kharma45

José Mourinho;186441689 said:

Yeah fingers make much more sense on a phone. Iris scanning is cool on a Surface device.

The only advantage I can see for the Iris scanner is that it works with gloves.

btw, does the 950 still have the super sensitive screen? I really loved that feature on my 920. Much like glance and double-tap to wake.

Milton

Banned
Is it possible to use an adblocker yet on Windows phone? I have a Lumia 640 going unused at the moment because I can't browse ad-free on it. Also the Windows reddit apps are poor in comparison to the Android one.

hadareud

The Translator
The only advantage I can see for the Iris scanner is that it works with gloves.

If it works seamlessly, ie from more than a foot away, it may not have any big advantages, but it also wouldn't have any major disadvantages, either.

Simply a different approach.

btw, does the 950 still have the super sensitive screen? I really loved that feature on my 920. Much like glance and double-tap to wake.

Display
  • Display size: 5.2 ''
  • Display resolution: WQHD (2560 x 1440)
  • Display colours: TrueColor (24-bit/16M)
  • Display technology: AMOLED, ClearBlack
  • Pixel density: 564 ppi
  • Display features: Orientation sensor, Sunlight readability enhancements, Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3, Easy to clean, High brightness mode, Lumia Color profile, Wide viewing angle, Automatic brightness control
  • Touch screen technology: Super sensitive touch
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mobile/phone/lumia950/specifications/

Nero3000

Ah, that's great. The hardware itself seems top. It's just a shame that they blew the packaging and price.

It's £120 cheaper than a 16GB 6S and £200 cheaper than a 64GB 6S.

The XL is £155 cheaper than a 16GB 6S+ and £235 cheaper than a 64GB 6S+.

Granted they are more expensive than the comparable 5X and 6P - but with higher screen & camera specs.

kharma45

Is it possible to use an adblocker yet on Windows phone? I have a Lumia 640 going unused at the moment because I can't browse ad-free on it. Also the Windows reddit apps are poor in comparison to the Android one.

If you use the data sense thingy it can block them but then you get reduced quality images

ElNino

What Reddit apps have you tried?

I'm not a big Reddit user, but I find Readit to be good and I've heard good things about Baconit as well.

It's £120 cheaper than a 16GB 6S and £200 cheaper than a 64GB 6S.

The XL is £155 cheaper than a 16GB 6S+ and £235 cheaper than a 64GB 6S+.

Granted they are more expensive than the comparable 5X and 6P - but with higher screen & camera specs.

The LG G4 is very similar to the 950 and you can get that one for around 400 bucks, new.

Top Bottom