• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

NeOak

Don't know about the 6, but my 6S+ gets by far the best battery life of any phone I've ever owned. But that's not surprising since it's the first phablet I've ever had - I'm sure the 1520 was in the same boat.

But I can use it heavily practically all day including a bunch of GPS navigation using Waze in the car and still have a solid amount of battery left at the end of the day.
First thing I noticed when i moved to the Priv. I was so used to the battery life of the 1520 than anything else feels like it is powered by a cheap no brand AA battery.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
José Mourinho;186613634 said:
I charge my 6S every night and easily get through the day with moderate use. Can't remember seeing it go below 20%. Better than my 930 was from what I remember, but probably would struggle to see the day out if it was in constant use.

My wife's 6s definitely isn't a strong battery performer. Also, the camera is garbage compared to my G4. The Plus is definitely the way to go if you want an iPhone.

n64coder

Just got an email from the Windows Insider Program. Looks like they're having launch event parties in Bellevue and New York:

Hello Windows Insider,

You've helped us shape the Windows experience for millions of people. As a way of thanking you, we want to invite you to be one of the first to experience the new Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL with Windows 10 first-hand.

Be one of the first to get a hands-on look at these new devices, discover new Windows 10 features and chat with Microsoft experts about all the exciting details. Enjoy a live demo of Continuum for Phones and watch the Lumia 950 and 950 XL turn an external screen into a PC-like experience.

And that's not all! Buy a Lumia 950 or 950 XL at the event and the sales package will include a Microsoft Display Dock.*

Windows 10 Insider event
December 1st
7 pm
New York and Bellevue
Please register for your place here.** Space is limited, so don't delay!

Can’t attend the Windows Insider event in person? Share in the excitement anyway by sharing your "Windows Love" via Twitter and you could win a Microsoft prize package.*** Use the hashtag #Win10LoveSweepstakes to tell us why you love Windows 10 and Lumia phones. We’ll randomly draw from the posts one lucky Windows Insider winner who'll receive a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL (unlocked), a Microsoft Display Dock for experiencing Continuum for Phones, an All-In-One Media Keyboard, a Surface 3 (4G LTE) and an Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle!

We look forward to seeing you there.

The Windows Insider Team

Since upgrading to the latest build I am really impressed with Groove Music. There are $0.10 albums and songs on sale and Groove had no issues downloading them like I did with Xbox Music.

joshschw

Anyone having trouble syncing Fitbits on Win10 lately?

Mine hasn't synced since 11/18 and I tried everything I can think of to get it... Tried setting everything up again but it can't "finalize"

I might just be foggy on the update process, but can I select a restore from the update process?

I had to roll my 1520 back to get the final build, when I booted 8.1 I didn't select a restore to save time to get my update to 10586 underway. When will I be able to select my restore from 10572 that I'd been using?

joshschw

I might just be foggy on the update process, but can I select a restore from the update process?

I had to roll my 1520 back to get the final build, when I booted 8.1 I didn't select a restore to save time to get my update to 10586 underway. When will I be able to select my restore from 10572 that I'd been using?

When you hard reset any build you can restore from backup.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Just got an email from the Windows Insider Program. Looks like they're having launch event parties in Bellevue and New York:

Weird, I didn't get that email. Would really like to hit up the Bellevue event since the 950xl went up for pre-order while I was offline on my honeymoon.

Nero3000

Didn't get in to the Launch event in London.

Boo! Day 1 WP7 and 5 phones (plus countless recommendations)...there should be a golden ticket hand delivered to me.

Alpende

Does he have trouble with a different wifi device or is it just the one in your house?

The only suggestion I have would be to reset the phone and then restore from backup.

Follow up. I turned the router on and off and now it connects again. Very strange. Wonder how long it'll last.

Ganondolf

where is the settings in windows 10 mobile to change the call/sms blocking app. on a older build I found it but on the latest build I cant find the settings and the lumia filter app is gone.

joshschw

Yeah a high number... I posted that a few weeks ago when I got excited when it popped up.

Brother - one
Canon - handful
and a bunch of high end stuff for the most part.

I have one Office with a Dell that I am at that works on iphones, and not one Dell on that list.

It's a high number but fairly useless for 95% of owners.

---

I am not saying this is Microsoft's fault, they have a framework, you can find info on it, but it seems to only be in high end stuff for most part.

Klocker

Yeah a high number... I posted that a few weeks ago when I got excited when it popped up.

Brother - one
Canon - handful
and a bunch of high end stuff for the most part.

I have one Office with a Dell that I am at that works on iphones, and not one Dell on that list.

---

I am not saying this is Microsoft's fault, they have a framework, you can find info on it, but it seems to only be in high end stuff for most part.

No Epson printers on the list either

Got my device this morning. Fairly painless setup. I haven't switched over from Sprint to T-Mobile yet so it's not activated. The back cover is nothing special but it doesn't necessarily feel cheap. The device is quite light. Still at work so can't play with it too much until I get a break.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Got my device this morning. Fairly painless setup. I haven't switched over from Sprint to T-Mobile yet so it's not activated. The back cover is nothing special but it doesn't necessarily feel cheap. The device is quite light. Still at work so can't play with it too much until I get a break.

The XL? Did you get the dock? Definitely looking forward to battery life and heat impressions.

ElNino

---

I don't know if I'd say that. My Samsung multi-function laser printer was only $100 or so and it is on the list. Curious to see if I can scan using the phone as well or if it's just for printing.

UPS just dropped my XL off as well; didn't even knock, just safe dropped it (as they did with my Surface Book earlier this week as well).

Haven't got a chance to even open it yet, and I'm not sure if I'll get a nano-sim for it today.

The XL? Did you get the dock? Definitely looking forward to battery life and heat impressions.
To get the dock, I believe you need to use the Lumia Offers app to redeem it. Unfortunately, you need a SIM card in to launch the app so I haven't done that yet.

Right now I'm recovering my backup from 8.1 on my 1020 (not sure if I should have just done a fresh install) while charging, so the phone is pretty warm. Hopefully I'll get a SIM card today and give it a run tomorrow.

NeOak

Went back to my 1520. Calling ShopBlackberry to return my Priv.

Should I install W10M on it or wait on WP8.1 for a bit longer?

joshschw

Went back to my 1520. Calling ShopBlackberry to return my Priv.

Should I install W10M on it or wait on WP8.1 for a bit longer?

Win10 is very solid on 1520. Just expect a few glitches here and there, but even 8.1 has a few, just different ones.

I don't know if I'd say that. My Samsung multi-function laser printer was only $100 or so and it is on the list. Curious to see if I can scan using the phone as well or if it's just for printing.

Hey, not saying nothing is on there, but the reality is it has no Epson, Brother, or Canon printers. and that's most of what people are going to be using I would guess.

There is a Scan app on PC's, don't know if Phone supports it.

ElNino

Hey, not saying nothing is on there, but the reality is it has no Epson, Brother, or Canon printers. and that's most of what people are going to be using I would guess.

There is a Scan app on PC's, don't know if Phone supports it.
There are some Canon printers in the list, admittedly not many though. I will also admit now that I've looked closer that the list appears to be skewed to enterprise. I just searched for my Samsung and saw it was there, so I assumed it had most "home" brand printers since I've never seen Samsung in an office environment (ours are all HP).

As for scanning, yeah I've used the Scan app on the PC with my printer before (although I've found the Samsung native app works better). I'll give it a shot with the XL when I have a chance.

NeOak

What did you hate about Android that it made you abandon the keyboard.

It was the experience tbh, but the OS was fine after a while. I just didn't use the apps at all. Twitch app sucks. Youtube was Ok, but meh. Spotify is good, but I use my laptop at work for it anyway.

I hated the slow scrolling on the web browser due to the slow refresh rate of the screen. Plus the clock was awful. Not being able to do Facebook contact sync was also a mess, plus could never organize my contacts.

I couldn't live with the hardware and how it felt for a $700 phone. Had it 399, sure, but god damn. Also, plastic sucks. I liked more the feel of the 950 than this tbh.

Too expensive for what it provides. I actually liked holding more the 2015 Moto E than this.

kharma45

On the 808 vs the 810
In terms of speed, for everyday apps and the OS I can't say it feels dramatically different, but there is a tiny bump (1.8Ghz vs. 2.0 GHz and two extra cores for the XL); We have not yet tried Continuum, yet, but that is one area we expect to see a performance difference

However, there is a significant improvement when processing Rich Capture and Dynamic Flash images. Sometimes our XL would beat the Lumia 950 by an extra 5 seconds or more. This is only for processing as both phones can launch and shoot rapidly, which is what matters

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl-first-impressions

Top Bottom