• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
May be switching jobs and careers in a few weeks.

My potential partner/provider asked me if I'd have any issues moving to BlackBerry.

What do I do.

José Mourinho;186441689 said:
They really should have gone with a fingerprint reader.

Think the Ars article pointed out that Hello is useful for computets but a fingerprint reader is much more phone friendly, which I'd be inclined to agree with.

Yeah fingers make much more sense on a phone. Iris scanning is cool on a Surface device.

If it really only works from a foot away, I agree that a fingerprint reader is preferable.

It works farther than a foot away, but two feet is probably pushing it.

In most scenarios, it's fine, but there are those situations (lots of them, of course) where you are holding your phone at arm's length, and that's when I wish a fingerprint reader had been added.

n64coder

I have an issue with a windows phone. My dad has a Nokia Lumia 630 and it can't connect to our WiFi. Every device works yet the phone just keeps saying 'Can't connect to the network'. It did connect before but now it just refuses.

Any solutions?

Does he have trouble with a different wifi device or is it just the one in your house?

The only suggestion I have would be to reset the phone and then restore from backup.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So when do XL reviews hit? Especially interested in battery life and whether continuum performance is better than with the 950.

Paganmoon

These two really made me scratch my head:

1020 said:
qVJuUJF.jpg
950 said:

The 1020 was the one that had shit whitebalance, and yellowtinted everything, so what's going on here? The 1020 shot looks like it's taken under florescent light almost, it's really blue tinted.

Edit: could it be due to the flash of the 950 helping reproduce more vivid or "real" colors in that shot?

The 1020 was the one that had shit whitebalance, and yellowtinted everything, so what's going on here? The 1020 shot looks like it's taken under florescent light almost, it's really blue tinted.

Edit: could it be due to the flash of the 950 helping reproduce more vivid or "real" colors in that shot?

Yeah, that's a weird picture. The 950 looks right, but... what hell is going on with the 1020?

Suerte

This kind of comparison makes me glad I've decided to sell my old 1020, there's not really any point having both it and the 950 by the looks of it.

Paganmoon

Do you guys forget so quickly that one of the biggest drawbacks to Lumia's cams over the years was poor auto WB?

It's majorly improved last year or so.

the Whitebalance issue was that it yellowtinted everything. And no, the 1020 picture isn't an improvement from that imo, it's instead bluetinted, look at the leaf on the left, the whites and the green has way too much blue in it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
the Whitebalance issue was that it yellowtinted everything
Not really.

In my personal experience, it just fucked up everything in whatever ways it deemed appropriate. Maybe some people got more yellow tinted photos, but that would depend on the circumstances.

90% of the time mine would just dye everything in a shade of blue because of fuck you.

I think the 830 was the first Lumia with a decent camera that finally got white balance right (for the most part).

I want to say the 950 is more accurate--I assume that's a big leaf to the left? You can tell the 1020 has a much higher/cooler color temp, as there's a bunch of blue in the leaf that shouldn't be there.

But yeah, that really confused me too, especially because all their other comparison pics have similar WB/color temps.

Is it still restoring texts? I'm wondering if the process is broken because I wouldn't think it would take that long.

Yup. Still has MONTHS to go--it's restored basically around 1 month of texts in four days :-|

joshschw

the Whitebalance issue was that it yellowtinted everything. And no, the 1020 picture isn't an improvement from that imo, it's instead bluetinted, look at the leaf on the left, the whites and the green has way too much blue in it.

Nah, they've always had crappy white balance, too cool, too yellow, too you pick it - it improved immensely with Denim, which 1020 never got any benefits from.

Kinda shitty that you can't favorite any photos except those that you took from your own W10 phone. On WP 8.1, my favorites folder was almost entirely made up of photos of my nephew, sent from my fam :(

joshschw

Kinda shitty that you can't favorite any photos except those that you took from your own W10 phone. On WP 8.1, my favorites folder was almost entirely made up of photos of my nephew, sent from my fam :(

They still had to be saved locally. You could not favorite OneDrive photos on WP8.

NeOak

So far, loving the QWERTY in the Priv, but not liking Android to be honest.

I'm seriously considering getting a 640, flash it with W10 and test it to compare.

How stable is the latest insider build?

I'm seriously considering getting a 640, flash it with W10 and test it to compare.

I installed the latest build on my 830 which I believe has the same cpu and ram and it is very stable. It wasn't initially but the phone initialized restarts on its own and is very stable now, cant complain.

Goddammit, I've been psyching myself up for 2 weeks now trying to get excited about getting a great deal on a 640. A new phone is a new phone! ...Then I pulled out my cracked 1520 and remembered how much better that was than this 635 I've been using, and how it's still going to be better than the 640. Maybe if I can make do with a 640 for a while the 950XL will drop in price or something...

hadareud

The Translator
Welp, hit 20%/battery saver after 14.25 hours regular/moderate use. That's with Hello turned off :-|

Bring on the firmware updates plz.

Does that include any downtime or is that just throughout a day? Because if it's the latter (ie start using it at 7am and at half 9 it's at 20%) that's not bad at all compared to any other smartphone. That would mean that without battery saver you can use the phone for ~17 hours.

Of course, I'd like to see batteries that last a week, but as it currently is getting through a whole day of regular use is about as much as you can expect. 17 hours of regular use is certainly a lot better than I'm used to from the 920 and 1020 and maybe a bit better than the 930.

If it includes a night then it's very bad.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, that's pretty good battery life. My g4 gets about 6 hours. Not kidding. I'm guessing something is wrong with the battery, so I'll order a spare and see how it goes.

Also, I'm really interested in the XL reviews. Should run continuum better and the free dock should cover the price difference.

Yeah, that's pretty good battery life. My g4 gets about 6 hours. Not kidding. I'm guessing something is wrong with the battery, so I'll order a spare and see how it goes.

Also, I'm really interested in the XL reviews. Should run continuum better and the free dock should cover the price difference.

Are there really performance issues with Continuum? I thought the main problem was that you can only use one app at the time and don't have a desktop either.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Definitely try a new battery.

ekim

I had a 640 for a week with W10... that was the worst phone experience for a looooong time. Everything was glitchy or buggy. Couldn't press the "s" or "u" button in the Edge browser while entering an URL for example. Notifications did not disappear although I already was in the corresponding apps and read everything. Lock screen was acting weird.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Are there really performance issues with Continuum? I thought the main problem was that you can only use one app at the time and don't have a desktop either.

For the most part, it seems to run fine, but some reviewers have said they've noticed lag. Others have said that Edge performance is an issue when running multiple tabs. Nothing huge, but things that a beefier processor might fix.

derFeef

I had a 640 for a week with W10... that was the worst phone experience for a looooong time. Everything was glitchy or buggy. Couldn't press the "s" or "u" button in the Edge browser while entering an URL for example. Notifications did not disappear although I already was in the corresponding apps and read everything. Lock screen was acting weird.

What build version was that?

Alpende

Does he have trouble with a different wifi device or is it just the one in your house?

The only suggestion I have would be to reset the phone and then restore from backup.

It's the only WiFi device he owns. Every other WiFi device works on the network, from laptops to other phones/tablets to PS4s. Everything works except for the phone.

I read that turning on and off the router/modem could work. I'll try that and if that doesn't work I might restore it.

Does that include any downtime or is that just throughout a day? Because if it's the latter (ie start using it at 7am and at half 9 it's at 20%) that's not bad at all compared to any other smartphone. That would mean that without battery saver you can use the phone for ~17 hours.

Of course, I'd like to see batteries that last a week, but as it currently is getting through a whole day of regular use is about as much as you can expect. 17 hours of regular use is certainly a lot better than I'm used to from the 920 and 1020 and maybe a bit better than the 930.

If it includes a night then it's very bad.

The latter, throughout the day.

I guess it's okay, but just merely that.

Maybe my 830 spoiled me and the 950 is back in line with the rest of the WP "flagship" lineup. My 830 would regularly be at around 40% left after being used for the same time. Obviously, 950 has much better specs (esp screen) and the software is new, so I maybe y'all are right--not HORRIBLE, but not great.

Anyone with an iPhone6? What kind of battery life do you get with that device?
I charge my 6S every night and easily get through the day with moderate use. Can't remember seeing it go below 20%. Better than my 930 was from what I remember, but probably would struggle to see the day out if it was in constant use.

I got to play with a 950 at the Microsoft Store the other day. The jank is real. 8.1 was just the pinnacle of a mobile-first OS. Windows 10, though with a slick new look, just feels so unrefined. Must be that full fat Windows under the hood or something. Hoping the OS improves so it cam convince me to buy. Of course, a price drop would be nice too.

dLMN8R

Anyone with an iPhone6? What kind of battery life do you get with that device?

Don't know about the 6, but my 6S+ gets by far the best battery life of any phone I've ever owned. But that's not surprising since it's the first phablet I've ever had - I'm sure the 1520 was in the same boat.

But I can use it heavily practically all day including a bunch of GPS navigation using Waze in the car and still have a solid amount of battery left at the end of the day.

I got to play with a 950 at the Microsoft Store the other day. The jank is real. 8.1 was just the pinnacle of a mobile-first OS. Windows 10, though with a slick new look, just feels so unrefined. Must be that full fat Windows under the hood or something. Hoping the OS improves so it cam convince me to buy. Of course, a price drop would be nice too.

I actually haven't experienced much jank. The occasional program crash and there isn't 100% parity with WP 8.1 yet, but otherwise, it's been fine.

Top Bottom