• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, continuum is pretty impressive. I connected to my Sony TV using the built in screen mirroring. Really cool and very little to no lag using the phone as a touch pad.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, same. Maybe they fixed the contact sync error?

I feel like it works more smoothly, commenting is better as well. I used FB a lot today (My bday!) and I started the day with the old version so I can say the update improved a lot of things.

Also, nobody talks about the camera update, it really shortened the amount of processing after I take a shot, preview (even with live images) were done more quickly. Overall, a good day for updates.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like it works more smoothly, commenting is better as well. I used FB a lot today (My bday!) and I started the day with the old version so I can say the update improved a lot of things.

Also, nobody talks about the camera update, it really shortened the amount of processing after I take a shot, preview (even with live images) were done more quickly. Overall, a good day for updates.

Happy Birthday! It is my wifes as well :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Continuum is kinda blowing me away. Posting this using continuum, projected to my Xbox One with Groove, Word, Facebook all running from my phone.

hankster

A little...
1452118690771153023.jpg
http://www.everbuying.net/product11...mail=b2t8aHRiYXJiZXJAaG90bWFpbC5jb218NTExMw==

Paganmoon

The 950 is acting very strange right now, some pictures, within the same sequence aren't uploading to OneDrive, I haven't gotten any app updates at all in forever, plus there are more and more apps I'm finding, that simply will not launch, just clears the screen, and stays there forever, like below.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I've been on Android since Dec now after getting an S6 Edge and I'm really missing WP. Android is just terrible.

It's nice having access to more apps but for day to day usage WP is miles better. Especially the keyboard, ugh. I did install Swiftkey but it's still nowhere close.

I'm super happy with being able to use Gear VR though and the camera is pretty good, especially the 4k so it's worth keeping but I'll be jumping back to WP at some point.

If the 950XL had actually been in stock when I was looking for a new phone I would have gone with that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm happy that my contacts aren't a mess anymore. Wonder why the Facebook app on the desktop doesn't sync with the people app yet??

I'm happy that my contacts aren't a mess anymore. Wonder why the Facebook app on the desktop doesn't sync with the people app yet??
None of that syncing exists on the desktop yet. The desktop people app is not the same as mobile right now, you can see their build strings are different.

I just upgraded my car stereo with premium amps, speakers, and a sub woofer. Boy, WP is pretty awful for music lovers and audiophiles. The stupid WP equalizer only works with headphones and not bluetooth.

In comparison, Android has an equalizer on many players bluetooth or not, plus a slew of apps like Amazon Prime Music and even high quality audio offerings like Tidal.

kharma45

I found that Bluetooth audio quality was much better on my G4 than my 735. Didn't think there would be or should be a difference for a signal like that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Good thing all my car speakers are stock then, I guess. Is the Groove bitrate lower than competitors for streaming? Music sounds good on my headphones.

Yeah a nice stereo will make shitty bitrates and poorly recorded music sound even shittier.

I liked Groove but it felt like it was in Beta all the time.

I just upgraded my car stereo with premium amps, speakers, and a sub woofer. Boy, WP is pretty awful for music lovers and audiophiles. The stupid WP equalizer only works with headphones and not bluetooth.

In comparison, Android has an equalizer on many players bluetooth or not, plus a slew of apps like Amazon Prime Music and even high quality audio offerings like Tidal.

Wouldn't you want the stereo head unit to take care of equalizer duties anyway? I would think the last link in the signal chain would be the best place to do it. But I really need a better grip on bluetooth audio. Is there that much of a difference from phone to phone in quality? What about compatibility?

Wouldn't you want the stereo head unit to take care of equalizer duties anyway? I would think the last link in the signal chain would be the best place to do it. But I really need a better grip on bluetooth audio. Is there that much of a difference from phone to phone in quality? What about compatibility?
I listen to bluetooth headphones a lot too and I hate having no equalizer on WP.

ElNino

I listen to bluetooth headphones a lot too and I hate having no equalizer on WP.
I thought they had fixed that since you can now change the equalizer settings without headphones plugged in (in 8.1 I think you needed them plugged in).

However, I tried last night with my Bluetooth speakers and you are right; as soon as you connect with Bluetooth, the equalizer settings revert to default.

I hate equalizers in general, so no loss to me there.

So, I'm having an issue where my battery is draining faster than it should be, and I'm suspecting the Skype portion of Messaging. I'm hoping I don't need to do an FR, but I may have to... I'll check for updates before I do, but does anyone else have any other ideas?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Lumia Offers app came installed on my 950, but I can't use it since it needs to use the SIM1 slot for some reason.....another reason to get my exchange done.

Also I have a weird bug where certain apps like Messaging aren't following my personalization colour.

What URL are you using? Do you have the 950 or 950XL ?

In my case, the app was pre-installed but then I deleted it and reinstalled it from:

The link I used is:
https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/lumia-offers/9nblggh2kbnv

You should make sure you update the app.

Blech, I'm a dummy. It kept erroring but I didn't check the error details--said it needed to be installed on internal storage instead of my SD card.

Now it's installed but won't authenticate my device :-| Says to make sure I'm logged in with my MS account (which I am, of course). Checked for updates, rebooted.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I put a magnetic sticker on my case to attach to the neodymium magnet in my car. But it got hot as hell last night on my Qi charger. Anybody know where on the XL back the general inductive area is?

Tried the "make a NeoGAF tile by clicking here" on Edge on my 950XL, and it's a generic blue square. My Lumia 925 on 8.1 used the orange/black color scheme by comparison. How do I get dem NeoGAF colors on my Win10 phone?!?!?

Tried the "make a NeoGAF tile by clicking here" on Edge on my 950XL, and it's a generic blue square. My Lumia 925 on 8.1 used the orange/black color scheme by comparison. How do I get dem NeoGAF colors on my Win10 phone?!?!?

Luckily, my original tile was restored with my backup :) Don't know why it doesn't work, otherwise.

Suerte

Bring Word Flow to Android and my move is complete - there is very, very little else I miss about Windows Phone since moving to the 6P.

Top Bottom