• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Word Flow for iOS?

RIP
Yes! Ever since I got my iPhone ir has been the one thing I've missed the most, along with the live tiles. The iOS default is barebones, and the alternatives just aren't as good as the WP one.

I can only imagine the moaning in Windows Central. That place is barely over Crackberry in fanboy drivel.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What happens first:

- Apple manages to fix the iOS third party keyboard issues so as to allow the WordFlow keyboard to work just as well as the WP version

-Microsoft makes significant strides in addressing the 3rd party app situation

Personally, I see Continuum coming along well. It seems that almost every week, a new app shows up as Continuum-ready. TripAdvisor got updated, works in Continuum. It's buggy still, but the more apps that work in that mode, the more powerful the functionality becomes.

What happens first:

- Apple manages to fix the iOS third party keyboard issues so as to allow the WordFlow keyboard to work just as well as the WP version

-Microsoft makes significant strides in addressing the 3rd party app situation

Personally, I see Continuum coming along well. It seems that almost every week, a new app shows up as Continuum-ready. TripAdvisor got updated, works in Continuum. It's buggy still, but the more apps that work in that mode, the more powerful the functionality becomes.

That's assuming Apple can be arsed to fix the keyboard in iOS, which I don't believe is high in their priorities. I wonder if the number of users is significant in their eyes.

I think one of the biggest problems that Microsoft currently has with developers - aside from the marketshare one - is platform stability. We have gone through 3 different paradigms in programming since WP7, and that just had to make people wary. Yet now it seems that the UWP is here to stay though, and as you say, new apps are being both published annd updated ever since the launch of Windows 10. But MS still has to fix the mess that is currently their phone proposal, and create confidence in both users and app developers.

If they don't, they won't be able to escape the wait and see vicious cycle that has surrounded the OS since WP8.

M3d10n

That's assuming Apple can be arsed to fix the keyboard in iOS, which I don't believe is high in their priorities. I wonder if the number of users is significant in their eyes.

I think one of the biggest problems that Microsoft currently has with developers - aside from the marketshare one - is platform stability. We have gone through 3 different paradigms in programming since WP7, and that just had to make people wary. Yet now it seems that the UWP is here to stay though, and as you say, new apps are being both published annd updated ever since the launch of Windows 10. But MS still has to fix the mess that is currently their phone proposal, and create confidence in both users and app developers.

If they don't, they won't be able to escape the wait and see vicious cycle that has surrounded the OS since WP8.

The problem with the transition from wp7 to wp8 was that the was no upgrade path for wp7 users. Wp8 was a clean slate, software and hardware wise. Wp8 couldn't even run wp7 apps at all, unlike w10 (UWP being a super set of Windows 8.1 api). While its taking longer than expected, most wp8.1 devices should be able to upgrade to 10 (minus the ones with 4GB storage, unfortunately).

PantsuJo

Here in Europe some providers are reporting the Windows 10 update starting from today to 22 January.

Hope to see the update notify on my Lumia asap.

Doffen

But Android has a Microsoft lock screen, launcher, better possibility of Cortana integration, the apps and soon Word Flow.

Pretty much every Microsoft Garage and Office app is released first on iOS, with some of their games being Windows and iOS exclusive; Castle Siege and Spartan Strike.

dINq15m.jpg

kharma45

TouchPal on Android does than now. Fully customizable to look and feel like the WP keyboard. Auto correct isn't as good but it does learn.

Might give it a go. Have been using SwiftKey up to now after not really liking the Google keyboard.

Edit - Is there a WP theme for it?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Never did get to try Cortana on Android, wasn't available in Canada. The Arrow launcher was kinda shitty, but I did like Next Lockscreen. I thought I would like how notifications worked on Android, but I prefer the action center on WP.

kharma45

Never did get to try Cortana on Android, wasn't available in Canada. The Arrow launcher was kinda shitty, but I did like Next Lockscreen. I thought I would like how notifications worked on Android, but I prefer the action center on WP.

I messed around with it. Better than Google Now (which is still absolute crap) but very sluggish to use.

clav

I messed around with it. Better than Google Now (which is still absolute crap) but very sluggish to use.

Unless Cortana includes a launcher, I'm not going to use it.

Fantastic news. I really hope the Android port isn't far behind.

Most likely soon. After all, looks like Microsoft can just ditch Windows 10 Mobile and port everything to Android if Universal Apps concept doesn't pick up any traction within the next two years.

Why are you all talking about Android. You should know that the true Windows mobile experience is only available on iOS.

Only if you don't care about smartphones for the rest of the world.

i use Outlook on Android. it has a fault where you sometimes have to delete mail multiple times before it's actually deleted and it's kinda sluggish but still prefer it to google mail/calendar. Outlook has widgets for full screen home pages for calendar and inbox which I find useful.

if and when Cortana improves on Android; allows for more commands and runs less sluggish, then I'll likely leave WP for good.

edit: Microsoft might as well release Edge, Maps, and a live tile launcher too. heck, bring the Windows store over. no need to fork Android but having their own store is going to make for additional revenue for movies and music.

Ugh, what am I supposed to do about pictures in the Camera Roll no longer being sorted under the right month on 8.1? Everything is just tacked on under December 2015 except screenshots, which means I have to scroll past it to see my pictures. It's awful.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Really happy with the customer service at the MS store. Was able to exchange my 950, then I asked if they had the XL in stock. Paid the difference and got myself a new white XL.

Edit: didn't realize the 950XL is gorilla glass 4 and the 950 is 3.

mm04

Been using my new 950 for a few days now. Finally pulled the trigger after dropping my 920 for the umpteenth time and finally breaking the screen after close to 3 years. So far, I've been pretty happy. Some random reboots, but the kicker is that I can't sync my primary account email in the Outlook application. Groovy. I'm guessing hard reset is the only fix for that...funny thing is, it was fine then got a system update of some sort and bammo, no workie after. That being said, voice text for just about everything is aces and is very accurate. Cranking out paragraphs in a few seconds on Whatsapp is a lifesaver.

hwalker84

Been using my new 950 for a few days now. Finally pulled the trigger after dropping my 920 for the umpteenth time and finally breaking the screen after close to 3 years. So far, I've been pretty happy. Some random reboots, but the kicker is that I can't sync my primary account email in the Outlook application. Groovy. I'm guessing hard reset is the only fix for that...funny thing is, it was fine then got a system update of some sort and bammo, no workie after. That being said, voice text for just about everything is aces and is very accurate. Cranking out paragraphs in a few seconds on Whatsapp is a lifesaver.
Did you create an app password? Your primary account is that in the password field. Not your normal password if that's the case.

Definitely happy with Win10 on Lumia Icon. Fast and zippy, runs great. Not going back to 8. Also glad I got Core player cause music app on WP continue to look terrible.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
bring on the Surface Phone

Didn't buy a 950/950XL specifically for that later this year. Don't fail me Panos...

Soon guys, soon. I was listening to Verge podcast sometime ago, and last MS hardware event seriously turned some heads around; everyone is actually looking forward to what MS does next. Such a rare thing to see in tech. Just 2 years ago, no one gave shit about MS conference other than xbox fans for their E3 presentation.

hadareud

The Translator
Considering I have had relatively severe hardware issues with every single Surface I owned apart from the original RT - my excitement that Panos' pumped and inspired team is taking over the division is very limited.

But what can you say, the Apple division inside Microsoft is spreading hype in the user base and in the media alike, so it can't be all bad.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yep, Surface products are very pretty but have mostly suffered from bugs and such. I feel more confident in phones with the old Nokia team and their fantastic hardware, but they gutted that team, as evidenced by the average build quality in the 950.

JaggedSac

Soon guys, soon. I was listening to Verge podcast sometime ago, and last MS hardware event seriously turned some heads around; everyone is actually looking forward to what MS does next. Such a rare thing to see in tech. Just 2 years ago, no one gave shit about MS conference other than xbox fans for their E3 presentation.

Panos is hungry.

Ganondolf

That would be stupid.

I just cant see MS making a Surface branded budget phone, goes against everything the Surface brand stands for and would dilute the brand like they did with xbox which they admitted was a mistake and confusing.

They could make a high and mid (like they do with the tablets) but I think they look at apple as the main competition in hardware and probably looking to make one phone to compete with the iPhone.

hadareud

The Translator
They should have 3 phones (or 3 x 2 for size) available, if they still want to have phones at all:

- budget
- mid-range/business
- flagship

I agree that calling the budget phone Surface wouldn't make sense. Scrapping the Lumia brand doesn't make sense.

NeOak

They should have 3 phones (or 3 x 2 for size) available, if they still want to have phones at all:

- budget
- mid-range/business
- flagship

I agree that calling the budget phone Surface wouldn't make sense. Scrapping the Lumia brand doesn't make sense.
Maybe they are reviving the Zune brand

/s

Top Bottom