• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

joshschw

When people complain about the Facebook app on Windows Phone "screwing up" their feed, I wonder if you've / they've ever used Facebook on iOS, Android, or the web.

Showing posts out of order, never showing certain posts, showing confusing updates when you update your feed, etc. - those are inherently in Facebook's control and manifest in the same (or very similar) ways on all platforms.

The Windows Phone facebook app is certainly missing some features, but don't think that the feed itself is screwed up for any reason that doesn't also exist on other platforms.

I agree, it's just how Facebook presents stuff on all platforms.
The new app seems pretty good to me, I am not a heavy Facebook user, but it accommodates my uses well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Um, I know how fb handles the feed on all platforms, it definitely seems worse on WP. For example, a lot of the crap that it learned I don't like on the platforms, like stupid videos or images from people I don't interact with often show up on my WP feed but less so on other platforms and the web version, which does a great job of showing me what I care about most. I might do a screenshot comparison.

Heretic

When people complain about the Facebook app on Windows Phone "screwing up" their feed, I wonder if you've / they've ever used Facebook on iOS, Android, or the web.

Showing posts out of order, never showing certain posts, showing confusing updates when you update your feed, etc. - those are inherently in Facebook's control and manifest in the same (or very similar) ways on all platforms.

The Windows Phone facebook app is certainly missing some features, but don't think that the feed itself is screwed up for any reason that doesn't also exist on other platforms.

I disagree. It's pretty bad on WP/W10M. I usually just tether my ipod and use the Facebook app there or use the mobile site instead. It has gotten MUCH better though. They've finally sorted out the whole replying to replies deal. So happy that works now. The timeline still sucks ass.

The Facebook W10 Phone app is utter shite.

I can sit and refresh my feed every few seconds and my timeline seemingly shows random posts that were posted many days/weeks ago, with no logical order. Also prone to showing duplicates.

Also get phantom notifications that I have to look on the web site to actually see them. Example "Sarah has added a photo" so I tap the notification, Facebook loads my timeline with no post/photo to be found. " Do you know Joe Bloggs?" I tap the notification, Facebook loads my timeline with no trace of said person. "You have a new friend request" I tap the notification, Facebook loads my timeline...where the fuck is the friend request?

I'm glad I don't use FB that often because I would be switching to Android in a heartbeat.

NeOak

Could it be the Fitbit? My MS band syncs just fine and it's very likely using the same method to sync.

Also, for the Edge gaf post issue, the workaround is to manually hit the space bar button after swiping each word. Not great, but faster than touch typing.
My Lumia 1520 with latest insider build shows my Band 2 as connected, but Microsoft Health tells me it isn't there and can't synch.

I have to restart the phone for it to work.

Sigh, if only I could get 8.1 GDR2 on my 1520 -.-

Also, writing this post was a fucking pain in the ass. I'd take T9 over this broken shit of a keyboard on Edge.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
8.1 with the latest GDR is boss mode. I had it on my 930 for like a week before I stupidly updated to insider and then I was never able to get it again. Silk, good features, rock solid. Fantastic OS.

Paganmoon

Phone randomly rebooted again last night, wouldn't bring up start at all after unlock, just "resuming". Worked again after manual reboot.
Lumia Offers started working again after though (kept saying invalid device or somesuch before), so now I've got another year of Office365 personal, that's 2 years free (1 year with the 640 and 1 year with the 950 now).

hadareud

The Translator
It's weird to see these issues with the 950.

For me, it's been brilliant. No restarts, no real problems at all (apart from a few photos that didn't process properly, which is not great).

In fact, it's easily the best phone I have ever owned. Fantastic battery life, fantastic camera (par processing time and processing bugs), fantastic screen, it's quick etc.

If they scrap WP, I'll hang on to it as long as possible.

uber was updated, you guys get it to work?

Works fine for me.

Paganmoon

It's strange to me that you haven't had any rebooting issues at all tbh. For me, it's starting to act up more and more all the time, minor things mostly, but it's adding up. Wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends in it's current state, but at the same time I won't be switching to Android or iOS any time soon myself either.

The mobile OS really is ways away from being "done".

Raide

Been running the Slow version on my 930 for 2 weeks or so. No major problems. Battery life is so-so but its passable. Everything else seems to work well enough.

hadareud

The Translator
It seems to be the case that certain people have problems that others don't, which basically confirms that the OS isn't polished enough.

My gf hasn't had any restarts on her XL either, it's difficult to say how widespread the problem is from anecdotal evidence.

For me, the mobile OS has been more stable (much more stable) than the desktop version on my Surface since the first update on the 950. There's multiple issues on the SP4, from incredibly poor battery life to blue screens of death to browser crashes to videos stopping working to the system freezing when you go to the satellite view on maps etc. etc. etc. for me. Would that stop me from recommending W10 to people? Not at all.

The only thing I'd recommend is to not buy the hype of the Surface team. But it's too late for that.

?

What's the problem? Seems just fine on the XL (granted it should be on that hardware)
I also have the problems he described, but at times general performance just seem bad.

If the page is loaded with images I get blank spaces when scrolling. If I scroll too fast it will hang for a bit. And sometimes it hangs for quite a long time, and the the page crashes and reloads. Which then becomes a loop until I kill edge from task switcher and open again, and sometimes not even that solves, I have reboot the phone.

I'm getting that on many websites, it's not limited to gaf though.

hadareud

The Translator

I can sit and refresh my feed every few seconds and my timeline seemingly shows random posts that were posted many days/weeks ago, with no logical order. Also prone to showing duplicates.

Again, that's a Facebook "feature".

I get the same on their shitty website.

Facebook is just a bit shit.

But then, where else would you go to find out who of your "friends" are racist and bigoted scum.

derFeef

Again, that's a Facebook "feature".

I get the same on their shitty website.

Facebook is just a bit shit.

But then, where else would you go to find out who of your "friends" are racist and bigoted scum.

Haha, I cleared out some idiots not too long ago as well.

Also get phantom notifications that I have to look on the web site to actually see them. Example "Sarah has added a photo" so I tap the notification, Facebook loads my timeline with no post/photo to be found. " Do you know Joe Bloggs?" I tap the notification, Facebook loads my timeline with no trace of said person. "You have a new friend request" I tap the notification, Facebook loads my timeline...where the fuck is the friend request?

I'm glad I don't use FB that often because I would be switching to Android in a heartbeat.
Yeah, their notifications are weird. I can never see them either. And it's infuriating how some of them (mostly friend requests) keeps popping up on either the action center or in the live tile even after I acted on the, in the very app.

Not to mention that each week I got a overview notification. Like, you received X messages, Y pokes and Z friend requests, and when I go to the app I haven't had any of that in weeks/months.

And the lack of features, no timeline review, no way to manage your business page. I constantly get app notifications that direct me to the browser.

It's simply useless.

Messenger is pretty bad too. You receive a notification with a text. Open the app, and you have to wait until it connects and downloads the message it just received from the notification. And that's usually fast, but sometimes the app will get hang up, and you have to go back to the conversations view and them to the conversation again so it can try to load. And it doesn't send messages in background. I'm used to type a lot, lock the screen and eventually open it again to continue chatting. And I always get unsent messages because I locked the screen too early.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't have an uber update and it still doesn't work for me. I did get a Netflix update....but it wasn't the continuum update :(

Also, reboots are definitely a problem for me. I need the firmware update to hopefully fix the camera video issues,

M3d10n

Microsoft really needs to get their dev site revamped. I have to use Google to find the docs on the UWP APIs because the internal search is utter crap.

And curse whoever made StorageFile.CopyAsync() not report progress. Now I'll have to actually code the actual copying of bytes myself, ugh.

ElNino

It's weird to see these issues with the 950.

For me, it's been brilliant. No restarts, no real problems at all (apart from a few photos that didn't process properly, which is not great).

In fact, it's easily the best phone I have ever owned. Fantastic battery life, fantastic camera (par processing time and processing bugs), fantastic screen, it's quick etc.

If they scrap WP, I'll hang on to it as long as possible.
It's strange to me that you haven't had any rebooting issues at all tbh. For me, it's starting to act up more and more all the time, minor things mostly, but it's adding up. Wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends in it's current state, but at the same time I won't be switching to Android or iOS any time soon myself either.

The mobile OS really is ways away from being "done".
While I agree that the OS is not "done", I don't believe it ever will be. It's a platform that they will continue to add to.

As for W10M in it's current state, I've yet to have my XL reboot either. I've had apps crash, the Settings "app" is the most curious one that continues to happen, but I've never had the phone reboot on it's own.

ElNino

Something I found in the W10M store, if you go My Library (in the hamburger menu) you can see the list of all apps and games you have downloaded. This includes games that were removed from the store, but I have been able to download old games that are not on the store any more. For instance, I owned Rocket Riot on the old WP7 store but it was pulled at some point and they are now working on W10 version. But, I just downloaded the old version and it works on the 950 XL.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Still early days with my XL and it has been running great. No reboots and app crashes have been rare.

XL owners have you went back on the insider preview??

I'll likely go back to WP as my daily driver with the new build if apps like Uber are functioning. my Android phone's phantom on/off lag are affecting basic functions like typing, screen unlocking, and phone dialing. WP apps are a downgrade in comparison but at least the phone OS stays snappy and quick.

UFO

Banned
Hey I'm trying to remember the name of a game that was on windows phone back in like 2014. It was only on windows, it was a tetris style puzzle game where the field starts about half filled up, more blocks drop as you play, and you eliminate blocks in pairs or colors by matching 2 or more and then tapping them. It was a very simplistic looking game, had about 5 different color blocks. It was probably the best tetris style puzzle game Ive ever played.

Edit: Found it! It's called "Stack Premium", but it only works on Windows phone, not on tablets. This sucks.

derFeef

The feed is not the only problem with the FB app on W10, there are bugs there that are just annoying, like the Live Tile not clearing notifications, showing the wrong feed, not being able to post and/or like. Just bad.

hadareud

The Translator
I think we can all agree that Facebook in general, is shit.

Exactly.

Having used the Android app a bit recently I can also confirm that phantom notifications, shitty feed and various other things are just as much part of the experience on Android as they are on WP.

I'd love to tell you that at least it's fast and reliable on Android, but when you use a phone like the Moto E, it is not.

derFeef

I guess that's true.

The battery on the 950 is so weird. One time it charges up insanely fast, the other time it takes almost twice as long (same soruce). As if something is draining it while it's charging, I now do a soft reset and it charged fast every time - I will monitor this.

KageMaru

I should be getting my bonus soon and have been thinking of picking up the 950XL but the last couple of pages are making me reconsider. For those still having issues with the 950/XL, did you receive the firmware update MS released about a month back? Wondering if that improved anything.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm on at&t, no firmware. Also, my restart problem is getting worse. Multiple times a day now. Mostly when I'm not even using it. If you're not having reboot issues, do you have an sd card installed? I wonder if that's the issue.

Time for an update, MS!

Paganmoon

No SD-card and mine has been rebooting sporadically every few nights, then again, after the reboots, things that haven't been working (apps not starting, Lumia Offers), tend to start working again, so I can't complain too much I suppose.

KageMaru

Hmmm hoped unlocked phones like the XL would get firmware without any issues through the carrier but I guess that's not the case. Well that's disappointing.

Also disappointing is how some camera impressions I've seen make it sound like the camera isn't that much better than the camera found in the Icon. Maybe it would be best for me to just wait it out. =/

ElNino

I'm on at&t, no firmware. Also, my restart problem is getting worse. Multiple times a day now. Mostly when I'm not even using it. If you're not having reboot issues, do you have an sd card installed? I wonder if that's the issue.

Time for an update, MS!
I have an SD card in mine and it has never rebooted on it's own. Really not sure why some are experiencing this so often and others don't at all.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also disappointing is how some camera impressions I've seen make it sound like the camera isn't that much better than the camera found in the Icon. Maybe it would be best for me to just wait it out. =/

It's better than the 930 camera, but not by a huge margin Imo. The 930/icon has a very good camera.

i still hate the tiny text on W10 Mobile live tiles for calendar and cortana. the tiles were very functional on WP8 as they gave useful info that you could actually read.

joshschw

i still hate the tiny text on W10 Mobile live tiles for calendar and cortana. the tiles were very functional on WP8 as they gave useful info that you could actually read.

Even on my 1520 some stuff was so small and hard to hit. Especially in the new facebook app!

Well I have an issue now, my Surface won't recognize my 950xl when I plug it in. It charges it, but won't connect.

Try a different computer so you can see if it is just the cable?
edit: okay, for some reason I was just assuming it was the Surface ;) Obviously my plan of action is a dud if it's the phone

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Even on my 1520 some stuff was so small and hard to hit. Especially in the new facebook app!

Try a different computer so you can see if it is just the cable?
edit: okay, for some reason I was just assuming it was the Surface ;) Obviously my plan of action is a dud if it's the phone

It is the surface. Connect fine to my wifes ASUS. Also I was reading that it could be conflicting with a USB driver and somehow I accidently uninstalled my mutli touch? lol fml

edit: did a reboot and touch is fine, phew. Phone still wont connect.

Top Bottom