• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
wait...that's real?!

04ywj3a.jpg

3B1Pw7L.jpg

KJOaBnw.jpg

5.5-inch and priced at ¥50,000 ($424)

The mid-range flagship we deserve.

Edit: My only complain is that the bottom bezel is yuuuuge, yet it uses Windows's trash-tier virtual buttons. SMH.

MCD

Japanese Win Phone all look awesome. Thing is, they are for business market. With no consumer apps ready for the public, don't expect it to take off in Japan any time soon.

MS just loves to fuck up everything everywhere. They have cool looking devices over there and Surface is doing well too but nope, let's not do anything and focus on AMERIKA.

hwalker84

Stop playing bro, you know you want a 950. And for those waiting for a fire sale, Thurrott predicted that MS would keep the price high so that, even as they lost market share, they wouldn't take a bath on the devices themselves.

I do and I'll still wait for a discounted 950 XL unless by the time that happens it's surface phone time.

hadareud

The Translator
What? No. It absolutely does not look anything like the 950 or 950 XL.

RgZUVWz.jpg
eKIeqyf.jpg

The curves and lines are completely different, too.

pSB9CYz.jpg

Looks very similar to me, similar curves and bulges.

Obviously the 950's camera is different and it doesn't have these ugly things at the top and bottom.

kharma45

Awful? I got that for £99 and used it everywhere in Uni for note taking and web browsing. That little thing was top notch!

It launched at £480, was a single core CPU in a world of dual cores and running android 2.3 rather than 3.0. It came out a year too late for what it was and the iPad 2 obliterated it.

It launched at £480, was a single core CPU in a world of dual cores and running android 2.3 rather than 3.0. It came out a year too late for what it was and the iPad 2 obliterated it.

Yeah, but, it had a reeeeeally good stylus / pen for the time. Granted I never would have bought it at £480, and I even got the 3G model!

Makes me miffed that despite Microsoft's history with stylus' there's still no good (cargo) pocket sized note taking entry from them

I didn't mean it actually -looks- like a Sony phone. I meant the release itself, is the closest we'll get to a Sony Windows Phone.

But Sony has nothing to do with Vaio anymore. I highly doubt that the "Phone Biz" was in the pipeline, while Vaio was still a part of Sony.

This is actually the closest we almost got to a Sony Windows Phone.

5pCi193.jpg

Paganmoon

But Sony has nothing to do with Vaio anymore. I highly doubt that the "Phone Biz" was in the pipeline, while Vaio was still a part of Sony.

This is actually the closest we almost got to a Sony Windows Phone.

5pCi193.jpg

But that's what I said, VAIO isn't part of Sony, but this is probably as close as we'll get to a Sony Windows Phone (as VAIO was part of Sony up untill 2 years ago, -> closest we'll get).

I'm not sure what we're discussing here really.

But that's what I said, VAIO isn't part of Sony, but this is probably as close as we'll get to a Sony Windows Phone (as VAIO was part of Sony up untill 2 years ago, -> closest we'll get).

I'm not sure what we're discussing here really.

What you're saying has no meaning, because this is nothing like a Sony smartphone, not even close in any sense. I could understand it, if development began under Sony's Vaio, but this is completely different.

It's like saying this the closest thing we'll ever get to a new Amiga, because they slapped the name on it.

U21OIud.jpg

Vaio was Sony's PC brand. There were no Sony Vaio smart phones before this, so it naturally can't be anything like a Sony Windows Phone.

Paganmoon

What you're saying has no meaning, because this is nothing like a Sony smartphone, not even close in any sense. I could understand it, if development began under Sony's Vaio, but this is completely different.

It's like saying this the closest thing we'll ever get to a new Amiga, because they slapped the name on it.

U21OIud.jpg

Vaio was Sony's PC brand. There were no Vaio smart phones before this, so it naturally can't be anything like a Sony Windows Phone.

I don't know man, I'd say that IS in fact the closest we'll ever get to a new Amiga. We'll never get a new Amiga, and that device is not even close, but it is still in fact the closest we'll ever get.
My whole point was to say just that, we'll never get a Sony Windows Mobile Device. Saying "it's the closest we'll ever get", was my way of highlighting that point.

I think you're still a bit stuck in the mindset of the argument that the VAIO and the 950 look alike (which they don't btw, Hadareud, you're wrong).

I'm only arguing and so anal about it, because I WISH we got anything close to a Sony Windows Phone and that piece of crap isn't anything like it.

Pls, Sony, put wireless charging into your next Xperia and not in a €79,00 add-on flip cover. thx.

I want Soony fone I demand Soony fone.

Seriously, I would like a Xperia version on windows phone--I had forgotten about the whole Vaio sale

Top Bottom