• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I like that the iris scanner is becoming more useful. In the past few days, OneDrive and Fenice (twitter) have added Windows Hello authentication. The Store uses it for payment authorization.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like that the iris scanner is becoming more useful. In the past few days, OneDrive and Fenice (twitter) have added Windows Hello authentication. The Store uses it for payment authorization.

Yeah, it works better than I expected. Nice to see apps putting it to use.

hadareud

The Translator
Two blue screens and three audio driver crashes so far this morning. Oh, and my OneDrive folder disappeared during the process.

Can't wait for the Surface team to bring this sort of quality to phones.

derFeef

Two blue screens and three audio driver crashes so far this morning. Oh, and my OneDrive folder disappeared during the process.

Struggling with my SP3 at the moment as well... wanted to upgrade to a SB even. Bluescreens, the OS crapping out when I use the pen... magnificent.

The Surface hardware team is not going to fix a broken OS or broken drivers. The Surface Pro 4 and Book are the perfect example.

hadareud

The Translator
The Surface hardware team is not going to fix a broken OS or broken drivers. The Surface Pro 4 and Book are the perfect example.

Isn't Surface supposed to showcase the perfect harmony between OS/software and hardware?

Also, the broken OS is unlikely to have caused screen bleeding. Nor do I see these sort of issues on my generic PC.

Isn't Surface supposed to showcase the perfect harmony between OS/software and hardware?

Also, the broken OS is unlikely to have caused screen bleeding. Nor do I see these sort of issues on my generic PC.

Surface exists, because Panos is pumped all the time and he needs an outlet.

And really, screen bleeding is definitely not something unique to the Surface. My Nexus 5 has some, my mom's Lenovo notebok has it, as does my old Thinkpad X61. Many LCD panels got it to a certain extend, even iPads can have that issue. It's been there since LCDs are a thing and while it got better, it can still happen. And it's not like the screen in the new Surface models aren't one of the best in the business, despite that issue.

Now, the clipboard not detaching from the base with the Surface Book? That's some hardware/software fuck up.

MCD

Yesterday our engineering team published some updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4. These updates offer refinements to improve battery charging and thermal tuning, wireless and Bluetooth performance, and to the detach-reattach experience on Surface Book. We know some of you are still experiencing issues, including issues related to power management, and we are working to address those as quickly as possible. We’ll publish additional updates as soon as they are ready. In the meantime, the Surface customer forums and the Surface support site remain the best resources if you have questions about your Surface.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9f3e9c7-3643-4de3-9468-1e2b4c18dbd1?auth=1#wb

At least they ain't silent like the phone team.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
It truly blows my mind that Apple hasn't copied live tiles yet. Like, seriously, what are they waiting for?

to be honest, only people who have used WP will appreciate the cleanness, and design of the OS. Most of my friend who have not used WP, thinks the UI is shit. clutter mess. So outside of WP users, live tile concept isn't that popular.

Lazaro

Most of my friend who have not used WP, thinks the UI is shit. clutter mess. So outside of WP users, live tile concept isn't that popular.

Yeah. Everyone I know finds the metro interface really intimidating and they find Live Tiles to be gimmicky if not useless.

Speaking of Live Tiles...

1e0c6f3fa2046ec04452b7dda547f43f0c31752e12c7034e78ccdbf8c219bb91.jpg

most people have little understanding about the start screen. it can be as clean or as messy as you want it. someone like me, for example, prefers simple solid tiles with no background.

I had one guy tell me that live tiles probably depletes my battery faster than his comparable Android phone.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I got one of my friends to try a 920 when it came out. Never really utilized or organized the start screen in an appealing way.

clav

Astoria is obviously dead. There's no Android bridge anymore. But he's working on better stuff now, imo. Just not phone related, afaik.

during the bigger org transition where the phone team joined the xbox/desktop orgs, I took a different role instead of moving directly to the Security team.

Ah. Sorry to hear that. Morale must be at an all time low.

Hopefully you'll be happier at work now.

That reminds me of an ad: https://youtu.be/rLERSyeyUVI

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I updated my phone and video still doesn't work. I'm going to try a hard reset......then I don't know what else I could do if that fails.

Massa

I'm doing my best. It was great when that one user pointed out how I had almost 1,000 posts in this thread, without seeing that I created it. So good.

Oh, I had no idea you were just trolling. Got me! Though the reason I knew you had 1000 posts in this thread is because I often check in and read it, I have a Windows Phone that I use as an mp3 player.

Oh, I had no idea you were just trolling. Got me! Though the reason I knew you had 1000 posts in this thread is because I often check in and read it, I have a Windows Phone that I use as an mp3 player.

It was stupid of me (I did have a little fun, though), but I really don't think much of these articles, because there's rarely a discussion to be had. If you think Windows Phone is dead, then so be it. Your word changes nothing.
The people who like it will continue to use it, then people who don't, will switch. There's no need to nag the few who still enjoy the platform.

Paganmoon

Yeah, also only 1% battery loss over night which is almost magical.

That could be explained by you just rebooting your phone, and apps that drain haven't been used yet, too early to say the update has helped with battery.

Also, Windows Store recommendations just recommended me Lync 2010... Gee, thanks :)

derFeef

That could be explained by you just rebooting your phone, and apps that drain haven't been used yet, too early to say the update has helped with battery.

Also, Windows Store recommendations just recommended me Lync 2010... Gee, thanks :)

True that, but I usually always reboot before sleep. Fear of alarms not going off are still high ;)

Some pictures of a canceled Lumia (650 or 850 or whatever).

P846Tqj.jpg

796ExdB.jpg

eyDwQfQ.jpg

dqS6mLE.jpg

Still looks more premium than the flagships.

Snapdragon 617
2 GB RAM
1080p panel

I guess no one wanted that, so they canceled it.

Paganmoon

Just adding a metallic rim, even if fake, would've really added to the aesthetics of the 950. Still no backplate replacements that look like that? (non-leather)

ElNino

Yeah, also only 1% battery loss over night which is almost magical.
Yeah, my stand by battery usage was good last night. Went to bed at 51% and woke up at 49%. I'll see how it goes for the next few days, but so far it seems good.

I also dropped the display scaling down to 300% on my XL and I like that it changes the formatting on some of the apps. Most notably in Messaging, where now you can switch between contact threads without backing out in portrait mode. Not a huge deal, when messaging more than one person it's nice to be able to switch conversations without hitting back every other message.

Top Bottom