• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hwalker84

If you let it sit for a while does anything pop up? I had this issue with a busted Lumia 820 and eventually it found something and restored it somehow but it never showed that it was a 820 during this. Just some internal model num

Nope. Never pops up. Phone's been sitting at this screen since late Saturday/early Sunday.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Stupid question, what happened to the ability to listen to find a song when you hit cortana/search?

JaggedSac

Eh, it's still there?

Start Cortana, hit the microphone to get Cortana to listen, then hit the little note icon in the top right to get her to recognize the song you're hearing.

Yeah, such a strange decision to put it behind a button which is usually just associated with voice searching.

LG G5 to feature a 1020-like camera grip accessory.

lg-g5-magic-slot.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm just annoyed that LG does what Microdon't.

It's like the company completely forgot about the 1020 and all the cool stuff it did back in the day.

ty_hot

So, Microsoft must be really joking with us. They had Win 10 for phones coming late 2015, we are in the end of February and nothing. My 640 has more bugs than I ever had with any Android custom rom (and I never had any flagship with lots of support).

Edge browser's quality is laughable. I use 4 sites mostly, on 3 of them I have a 50/50 chance of being able to open link or simply not opening them. Whenever I open a page after typing the address, half of the page is taken by the links to other websites that i visited, then i have to pretend that i want to type a new site and cancel so that i can see the entire page.

News/Sports apps are so muc h worse than they were. They look better but are so much slower now. 90% of the times when the tile is updated with some new news, I open the app and this news is not there. NOWHERE. So I have to wait more 1 or 2 hours until it finally appears there.

Here Maps worked perfectly for me before, now it starts to show me wrong bus/train times, suggesting crazy ways (on google maps it showed me a way that was 40 minutes, on Here Maps it showed another CLEARLY worst that would took 1h10 minutes, I ended going with the google one and it really took me 40 mins).

The music app, sooooo slow. waiting 4-5 seconds after pressing the play button everytime. argh.

The only thing that keeps me with WP right now is that it has (or at least SUPOSEDLY) apt-x support, which is kind of rare on Android. Really, you search on google and the only link that says something about it is that 'all lumia devices will have aptx after the win 8.1 denim update. and that is it. I guess win10 has it as well, but who knows? I am already looking for the few aptx android devices available

ty_hot

I would gladly take a new Dell Venue Pro with W10M. I miss mine.

I rolled back to WP 8.1 and forced the Update 2 on my 1520. Couldn't be happier, even if I need a 3rd party app for FLAC.

Win 10 isn't even a 2016 OS, rolling back to 8.1 is like going back to 2013, when it also wasn't a 2013 OS. =/

No surprise Windows Phone is and will remain such a flop.

NeOak

Win 10 isn't even a 2016 OS, rolling back to 8.1 is like going back to 2013, when it also wasn't a 2013 OS. =/

No surprise Windows Phone is and will remain such a flop.
What is a 2016 OS? Android? Where they tell us that WP "got no apps" but then they advice others to use Chrome instead of the apps because they drain too much battery?

Ok.

What is a 2016 OS? Android? Where they tell us that WP "got no apps" but then they advice others to use Chrome instead of the apps because they drain too much battery?

Ok.

pretty sure that's just Facebook, which has a to of people complaining about battery drain on every mobile phone OS.

Ok.
Can you name a few of those apps besides Facebook/Instagram? I mean last I checked Facebook's apps are crap on Windows Phone as well and the iOS version also cause battery drain like the Android one.

LG G5 to feature a 1020-like camera grip accessory.

lg-g5-magic-slot.jpg

Welp, I know what my next phone is going to be. Crazy how much a step back Windows 10 Mobile turned out to be and how uninspired the hardware looks to continue to be.

But since I'm still here in poverty-tier 920 8.1 Update 1 Cyan, is there any way to get a Windows 7 computer to stop reading my phone so I can just charge it when I plug it in? I don't want to potentially damage something with all the unnecessary mounting.

ty_hot

Ok.

Android is a solid OS, my gf has an Asus on Android 5.1 and one Nexus 7 on Android 6.0, they are not perfect but they are a 'complete' software.

After I posted here yesterday my W10 told me an update was available, lets see how it goes.

Ok.

I'd also like to know more examples, in case I got those apps installed on my phone.

hwalker84

Now this may bring me back...

http://wmpoweruser.com/hps-elite-x3-phablet-leaks-ahead-of-official-launch/

And here’re the specs in a quick list:

5.96-inch QuadHD display
Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 Quad-Core SoC
4 GB RAM
32GB storage, microSD expansion up to 200 GB
USB 3.0 Type-C (USB-C)
Qi wireless charging
Iris Scanner (Windows Hello)
Fingerprint reader
Continuum support
16-megapixel camera on the back
8-megapixel front camera
Windows 10 Mobile
IP67 dust and water resistance
STD810 military MIL-rating (for 1-foot drop protection

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

5.96-inch QuadHD display
4 GB RAM
USB 3.0 Type-C (USB-C)
Qi wireless charging
Fingerprint reader
Continuum support
8-megapixel front camera
Windows 10 Mobile

Looks nice to me. I really wonder now what the secret is?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Not sure what W10 is missing to make it a 2016 OS.
Stability? No, no, thats not it. Thats just expected.

5.96-inch QuadHD display
4 GB RAM
USB 3.0 Type-C (USB-C)
Qi wireless charging
Fingerprint reader
Continuum support
8-megapixel front camera
Windows 10 Mobile

good god, if i want an ipad mini ill buy a fucking ipad mini. I need my phone to fit in my pocket. The trend of ever growing phone screen size is redonkulus.

Any idea why my 950 isn't putting emails in the notification center anymore? Live tile updates, the icon shows at the top of the screen, but they don't list in the notification center. Outlook Mail is fully enabled in the notification center options, too.

this_guy

Can you name a few of those apps besides Facebook/Instagram? I mean last I checked Facebook's apps are crap on Windows Phone as well and the iOS version also cause battery drain like the Android one.

Windows Phone 10 seems to be a bigger battery drain than any app on any other smartphone os.

That HP Phablet looks awesome but I bet it'll be way too expensive for the niche audience it'll appeal to. Too bad because the specs are pretty insane and the design isn't bad either.

derFeef

It looks like shit to me. Paired with the W10 OS there are too many horizontal bars and colors going on. That chrome part at the bottom is ugly as hell.

hadareud

The Translator
Stability? No, no, thats not it. Thats just expected.

Depends what you consider stable.

No app crashes? Haven't had one on my 950.
No OS crashes? Haven't had one on my 950.
Stable battery life? It's stable all the time.
Reliable and consistent performance? That's exactly what I am getting.

Obviously that's anecdotal evidence, but that's what I'm getting. It's also what my gf is getting on her XL.

ElNino

Android is a solid OS, my gf has an Asus on Android 5.1 and one Nexus 7 on Android 6.0, they are not perfect but they are a 'complete' software.

After I posted here yesterday my W10 told me an update was available, lets see how it goes.
Ok, but what makes W10M not a "2016 OS"?

mm04

Depends what you consider stable.

No app crashes? Haven't had one on my 950.
No OS crashes? Haven't had one on my 950.
Stable battery life? It's stable all the time.
Reliable and consistent performance? That's exactly what I am getting.

Obviously that's anecdotal evidence, but that's what I'm getting. It's also what my gf is getting on her XL.

This has been pretty much my experience with my 950 as well. I'm happy with mine. I had an issue with Uber not starting up, but then I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it's been just fine since.

Tablo

Okay that HP Elite X3 looks fucking amazing, don't care if the camera is trash personally I have an actual camera I use, but I it's serviceable and noticeably better than my Lumia 640 that's awesome!
Concerned about the huge size though... Why couldn't it be like 5.5" or less dammit... tough pill to for my pockets to swallow :(

Only possible thing about it I would ask more of is some sort of digital pen support but honestly I probably wouldn't use that enough to justify added cost/engineering complexity, which is why I suspect it's likely left out.

This is insane, it literally has almost every meaningful spec point hit on the head!! Fuck I'll buy it just to show support for making his happen 0.0

5.96-inch QuadHD display
4 GB RAM
USB 3.0 Type-C (USB-C)
Qi wireless charging
Fingerprint reader
Continuum support
8-megapixel front camera
Windows 10 Mobile

My god that phone looks amazing. I want it so bad.

Top Bottom