• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Now this may bring me back...

http://wmpoweruser.com/hps-elite-x3-phablet-leaks-ahead-of-official-launch/

And here’re the specs in a quick list:

5.96-inch QuadHD display
Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 Quad-Core SoC
4 GB RAM
32GB storage, microSD expansion up to 200 GB
USB 3.0 Type-C (USB-C)
Qi wireless charging
Iris Scanner (Windows Hello)
Fingerprint reader
Continuum support
16-megapixel camera on the back
8-megapixel front camera
Windows 10 Mobile
IP67 dust and water resistance
STD810 military MIL-rating (for 1-foot drop protection

Wait what the fucking fuck?

Those specs. No fucking way, this is crazy. This seems higher than any Android phone on the market.

Did MS suck HP's dick or something? LMAO

this sounds too good to be true, but looks like it is true.

Amazing.

Where do you guy think the fingerprint scanner is on the device. Home button? because I see nothing on the back

I suppose it is a business-oriented phone, as its aesthetics are clearly oriented to that segment. Still, it's great to see OEMs making well-specced devices.

Wait what the fucking fuck?

Those specs. No fucking way, this is crazy. This seems higher than any Android phone on the market.

Did MS suck HP's dick or something? LMAO

this sounds too good to be true, but looks like it is true.

Amazing.

Where do you guy think the fingerprint scanner is on the device. Home button? because I see nothing on the back
Fingerprint scanner might be embedded on the power button in the same way the Xperia Z5/Z5 Compact did.

nillapuddin

would I be stupid for just buying another 1020 and making that my main again?

I mean, I want the 950, in the sense that I want better specs than the 640 that replaced my broken 1020.

I actually like the look of the 950 unlike most, but, not more than the 1020...

(I dont like any of the other 8xx or 9xx that have ever come out, so those arent options.)

My ATT 2 year contract ends 4/22

link to what my monthly bill looks like
spoiler: its $164 a month

So I want to have my plan of attack ready by then...

A.) ATT Next with new 950's, 7GB mobile share plan
$150~ monthly, Estimated $1800 annual

B.) Buy 1020's online, 5GB + 2GB GoPhone plan
$400~ upfront for 2 phones, then $100~ monthly. Estimated $1600 annual

C.) Suffer Eternally with 640's, 5GB + 2GB GoPhone plan
$100~ monthly, Estimated $1200 annual

NeOak

would I be stupid for just buying another 1020 and making that my main again?

I mean, I want the 950, in the sense that I want better specs than the 640 that replaced my broken 1020.

I actually like the look of the 950 unlike most, but, not more than the 1020...

(I dont like any of the other 8xx or 9xx that have ever come out, so those arent options.)

My ATT 2 year contract ends 4/22

link to what my monthly bill looks like
spoiler: its $164 a month

So I want to have my plan of attack ready by then...

A.) ATT Next with new 950's, 7GB mobile share plan
$150~ monthly, Estimated $1800 annual

B.) Buy 1020's online, 5GB + 2GB GoPhone plan
$400~ upfront for 2 phones, then $100~ monthly. Estimated $1600 annual

C.) Suffer Eternally with 640's, 5GB + 2GB GoPhone plan
$100~ monthly, Estimated $1200 annual

Isn't it supposed to be $15 per smartphone or are you still under a contract?

How about the 1520? Too big?

pretty sure that's just Facebook, which has a to of people complaining about battery drain on every mobile phone OS.

Can you name a few of those apps besides Facebook/Instagram? I mean last I checked Facebook's apps are crap on Windows Phone as well and the iOS version also cause battery drain like the Android one.

I'd also like to know more examples, in case I got those apps installed on my phone.

Off the top of my head, like The Faceless Master said, I do remember about Facebook. I thought I had read about others too, I would have to check again.

Fed up with my phone after it rebooted THREE times today while not being used. Just did a hard reset. Gonna keep a chronicle of all the shit that goes wrong with it in a week's time and see if that's enough to convince me to switch to an iPhone. We needed a firmware update two months ago.

nillapuddin

Isn't it supposed to be $15 per smartphone or are you still under a contract?

How about the 1520? Too big?

still under contract until April, are you saying my 40 per line charge will go down to 15 when my 2 years are up?

Negative about the 1520, Ive been hands on with just about every device on this platform.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Fed up with my phone after it rebooted THREE times today while not being used. Just did a hard reset. Gonna keep a chronicle of all the shit that goes wrong with it in a week's time and see if that's enough to convince me to switch to an iPhone. We needed a firmware update two months ago.

That's crazy. 950 or the XL?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I got on the slow ring and it got better in terms of reboots for a week or so after I updated the OS, but now I've had a few reboots in the past few days. Definitely disappointing.

Updated my G4 to marshmallow, did a hard reset and the battery life is still astonishingly bad, so that's not an option, and even if I sold both of these phones I wouldn't have enough for an iPhone, Apple is ridiculous with their pricing.

derFeef

An insider fast configuration is available but it fails to install every time :/
And I can't back out of the program because an update is available.

JaggedSac

still under contract until April, are you saying my 40 per line charge will go down to 15 when my 2 years are up?

Negative about the 1520, Ive been hands on with just about every device on this platform.

If you own your phone outright, the per lin charge for that phone should be $15.

Edit: Per line charge on Next plans are $15 as well I think.

NeOak

Yes, they will go down to $15 and stay there. You can't do contracts anymore.

What's the specific issue? Not familiar with it.

When you use swipe typing in Edge, every second word won't work. So, I can swipe the first word, outputs it fine, but then when I drag my second word it doesn't output the word. Once that fails, I can drag a word again.

The fix is written like this in the blog:
We fixed an issue where shape writing would ignore every second word when typing into a text box on a website in Microsoft Edge.

hadareud

The Translator
It works, it actually works (keyboard in edge).

Such an annoying bug it was.

edit: Navigation bar now works properly in old apps too. Amazing!

hadareud

The Translator
Well, this build certainly seems less stable and buggier.

Didn't recognise that I unplugged my headphones, failed to wake from glance and didn't recognise my SD card so far. And the keyboard in edge is not actually perfect either.

I would desist.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Well, this build certainly seems less stable and buggier.

Didn't recognise that I unplugged my headphones, failed to wake from glance and didn't recognise my SD card so far. And the keyboard in edge is not actually perfect either.

I would desist.

Haven't encountered any issues yet. But it hasn't been very long.

clav

I'm only interested because there are certain countries out there retiring Edge/2G spectrum and converting everyone to LTE spectrum tier.

Think the move happens as early as next year, so all those old Nokias out there will have to retire.

I believe if you don't activate it in ATT they will unlock it a day or two after you request it via the website.

Thanks. I found a similar answer.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Damn, that author craps all over the pre production phone. Aside from the camera, I'm not too worried about the smoothness that he was talking about in Continuum, it will run fine.

MCD

Damn, that author craps all over the pre production phone. Aside from the camera, I'm not too worried about the smoothness that he was talking about in Continuum, it will run fine.

yeah. and there is the late launch. can't get hyped by a mid summer release.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Depends what you consider stable.

No app crashes? Haven't had one on my 950.
No OS crashes? Haven't had one on my 950.
Stable battery life? It's stable all the time.
Reliable and consistent performance? That's exactly what I am getting.

Obviously that's anecdotal evidence, but that's what I'm getting. It's also what my gf is getting on her XL.

thats great for you, honestly, i'm not being an ass. But you have to understand that your experience is very few and far between for most people.

I had lunch with a friend thursday and he said he had the 950xl and said its a piece of shit.

but just for me, i can talk at length about any number of things, like, lets take WIFI.

So as i previously said i performed a hard reset on my icon, guess what it no longer sees my wireless N SSID, the same one it was always connected to. I had to turn back on wireless G to get on wifi.

Beyond that, before my hard reset and after the hard reset the phone would just out of nowhere not work while using edge or other internet connected apps. Just this morning i was browning GAF on my phone, i hit the orb to go back to off-topic and i get page cannot be displayed, i look and this is what i see.

this happens, all. the. time. i can be using my phone and surface on the same wifi network and router and my phone just stops working. Typically the only way to fix that i have found is to restart the phone.

i understand its "beta" software but if they dont want it to or dont care to make it work or dont have the resources they need to make it work on certain models, then windows 10 shouldn't be available for those models. Perfectly understandable.

New build on my 830 is really nice. No more random split second screen blackout.

Using Edge though, how do you go back on the previous page? Anytime I hit the back button it takes me back to the home screen.

Edit: Wholly shit, there's still no back button, no back and forward swiping. WTF, I'm pretty sure it was in the earlier builds. I know it was taken out but you'd think they'd have fix this by now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

this happens, all. the. time. i can be using my phone and surface on the same wifi network and router and my phone just stops working. Typically the only way to fix that i have found is to restart the phone.

So this happens to me all the time where it says no internet, but I assumed it was the router. Is my phone killing the internet connection? My wife has trouble connecting with her iPhone and I have to reset the router to get the internet working again, I just assumed my isp or router was to blame, now I wonder if my phone is doing something funny to my WiFi.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So this happens to me all the time where it says no internet, but I assumed it was the router. Is my phone killing the internet connection? My wife has trouble connecting with her iPhone and I have to reset the router to get the internet working again, I just assumed my isp or router was to blame, now I wonder if my phone is doing something funny to my WiFi.

idunno, in my instance its the phone that is the only device that doesnt have internet. Surface can keep on keeping on no problem on the same network. My wifes iphone and ipads never have a problem either.

hadareud

The Translator
Shouldn't do anything to the router itself.

W10 and Wifi don't go well together, though I've only had issues with my Surface, not the phone.

clav

What router do you use?

Top Bottom