• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Zeknurn

Watching the Samsung keynote and they've finally caught up with the 920 by adding glance screen and good low light camera performance.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Thought I'd ask here: so the Surface Phone, will they announce it this week or late 2016? Similar specs to the x3? The latter looks and sounds nice and all, but the previews aren't good. Kinda sick of Android and don't like iOS, need a new phone now that my Z2 is dying

clav

Thought I'd ask here: so the Surface Phone, will they announce it this week or late 2016? Similar specs to the x3? The latter looks and sounds nice and all, but the previews aren't good. Kinda sick of Android and don't like iOS, need a new phone now that my Z2 is dying

Later in 2016. Seems obvious why.

I would get a new Android Phone.

WM10 is not ready for everyday use in its current state.

Windows Phone in general is good if you use mostly the built-in features. Hence, why I'm still interested in the platform.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

The phone is still months out on an OS that still needs work. By then hopefully it will ironed out.

NeOak

Windows 10 Mobile is the equivalent of Windows 95 Release A. It wouldn't surprise me if it crashed adding a printer too.

It needs the equivalent of a service pack to get it stable. So late 2016. Same reason the X3 is for summer. The OS is not stable enough for a business production environment yet.

Pretty much the same reason I went back to WP8.1 and forced Update 2 on my AT&T 1520: Stability and battery life.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Bummer, was really looking forward to switching to Windows. Especially given the fact I work in a Windows environment, I guess I'll stick with Android for the next 2 years. Hopefully by then I'll be able to hop on board with a better OS and all of that.

None of the current Android phones do much for me, even Sony was kinda disappointing with the Z5. Maybe we'll get a surprise announcement this week, would be nice.

OEM

Just saw Daniel's hands on video. Device looks great.

I can really see this as the future of computing in few years. If MS plays their cards right and don't fuck up.

Anyways, well done HP. Those accessories also looking dope.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
G5's modules are janky AF. Great idea, but they feel like you are about to break the locks whenever you pull the battery out.

Edit: Microsoft's boot is such a massive joke. There is nothing of substance there. Not even coffee and pastries for the journos like in previous years.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Also, Samsung gave away free VR headsets for all the journos attending their conference (over 3k iirc) and some people were pillaging leftover units. I saw journalists running away like bandits with three Gear VR packages, hiding them below their jackets and shit.

The swag addiction is real.

Edit: let me know if you want some quick impressions of any particular device.

hadareud

The Translator
I doubt it. I doubt that W10 Mobile will go away any time soon.

Whether they'll still manufacture their own phones beyond this year is another question.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So it's not just me then. I reset my Band this morning hoping to get them back but it didn't work this time. I can see my calendar events, and syncing works fine but no notifications come through.

Yup, same as me. One step forward, two steps back.

The Jank Award goes to the Ubuntu tablet, though. Goddamn, that thing is *trash*.

Continuum wipes the floor with it. Shit, even the OG Surface RT was much more polished.
G5 camera module has no tripod mount.

I love my Lumia 2520 RT tablet and still use it in bed almost every night. Its extremely reliable a nd functional. Except the horrible RT on screen keyboard.

KageMaru

The G5 looks real nice IMO. Only real concern is the battery life.

I really want to stay with WP but it's getting harder and harder to ignore the competition.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Bought a Lumia 950XL today, really digging it so far. The only thing I'm really missing is the YouTube app (from Google). Everything else seems fine.

Is there a way to stop the apps from moving? Put some of them in a folder but I want it to be static.

kharma45

Bought a Lumia 950XL today, really digging it so far. The only thing I'm really missing is the YouTube app (from Google). Everything else seems fine.

Is there a way to stop the apps from moving? Put some of them in a folder but I want it to be static.

MyTube is probably the best YouTube app around, I'd recommend going with it.

When you say moving you mean the animations? Some apps will have options to disable their live tile. If you make them their smallest size too they won't animate.

Paganmoon

Welcome to this vibrant community (that doesn't even get an OT2, we're at 404 pages already!).

Anyway, apps moving, do you mean the live tiles? if so, no I don't think there's a way to stop them from moving, some apps you can turn them off on (usually in the settings within the app), but not generally at OS level I don't think. If you want to turn them off to save battery life, don't sweat it, it hasn't got much impact.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Get MetroTube. Bette than any Official YouTube app

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
MyTube is probably the best YouTube app around, I'd recommend going with it.

When you say moving you mean the animations? Some apps will have options to disable their live tile. If you make them their smallest size too they won't animate.

Yup, mytube is great

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome to this vibrant community (that doesn't even get an OT2, we're at 404 pages already!).

Anyway, apps moving, do you mean the live tiles? if so, no I don't think there's a way to stop them from moving, some apps you can turn them off on (usually in the settings within the app), but not generally at OS level I don't think. If you want to turn them off to save battery life, don't sweat it, it hasn't got much impact.

Nah, just find it annoying. But I'll probably get used to it.

Trying all of them, do the full versions actually add anything?

Also, what is the best browser to use? Currently using Edge, the refresh button on GAF doesn't seem to work for some reason.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So it's not just me then. I reset my Band this morning hoping to get them back but it didn't work this time. I can see my calendar events, and syncing works fine but no notifications come through.

Just got another Band update,.maybe that will fix it.

Edit: Seems to be fixed now

KageMaru

Grass isn't greener, it's just a different shade of brown.

Yeah, in the end I'd have an OS with issues but sadly it seems like marshmallow is more polished than W10M.

With what is likely the last refresh of WP, they should be pulling out all the stops and really pushing for the platform, not scaling back focus and passively letting it die. They actually had some momentum with 8.1 and that was under Ballmer's broken management. I like what I see of Satya, I just wish he poured that passion and dedication to the platform that really needs it. If Ballmer can gain momentum with a dead end platform, Satya should be able to do something with a platform that has potential.

Yeah, in the end I'd have an OS with issues but sadly it seems like marshmallow is more polished than W10M.

With what is likely the last refresh of WP, they should be pulling out all the stops and really pushing for the platform, not scaling back focus and passively letting it die. They actually had some momentum with 8.1 and that was under Ballmer's broken management. I like what I see of Satya, I just wish he poured that passion and dedication to the platform that really needs it. If Ballmer can gain momentum with a dead end platform, Satya should be able to do something with a platform that has potential.

I remember hearing someone say Xbox would have never happened under Nadella, and I can't help but think that they were right.

Nadella is great at strengthening the base. He knows Microsoft's core well, but won't throw good money after potentially bad as Ballmer did. That's why Ballmer bailed out Moore's Xbox division after RROD instead of shuttering it. That's why Ballmer bought Nokia's mobile division instead of letting Windows Phone die. But Nadella is less interested, because it falls outside Microsoft's core, doesn't make money (anymore), and a consumer-facing phone OS + hardware manufacturing doesn't sit well with Microsoft's core strategy. The only way it can stick around is by focussing on enterprise, and by getting partners to build devices for them (with a 'halo' Surface device only). Hence, Lumia is dead.

Windows 10 for mobile will stick around for now, but only if it clicks with enterprise customers. I don't think Continuum is enough, but we'll see what else they're sitting on at BUILD.

So yeah, Android and iOS are the only mobile OS's that care about consumers going forward. Microsoft's focus in mobile right now is clearly on enterprise.

One thing I've been trying to figure out, is just what does it mean for a phone or an OS to be focused on enterprise rather than consumers? From what I can tell, it means of course a number of added features that enterprise consumers need. But as a consumer, what do we "lose" by our phones being designed for enterprise first? So far I see the following:

-No color allowed for a phone's case, only black, silver, maybe white
-Little to no chance of producing a phone with the best camera on the market?
-Abandon pursuit of popular apps on iOS and Android?

aaaaa0

One thing I've been trying to figure out, is just what does it mean for a phone or an OS to be focused on enterprise rather than consumers? From what I can tell, it means of course a number of added features that enterprise consumers need. But as a consumer, what do we "lose" by our phones being designed for enterprise first? So far I see the following:

-Not carried in the telco operator stores.
-Expensive as hell, but with great service and support.

Lack of apps would be the main one. It will have Facebook and Instagram and Twitter, but you won't be getting an official Tinder app, the new craze apps, many half-decent games. But it's not the lack of them - like you said, it's the lack of pursuit. For consumers that always hoped Windows Phone could be one of the big 3, this is kinda fatal. In fact the whole thing screams of lack of ambition.

And features and services would all have an enterprise bent. In iOS 9, Siri is now basically a DJ -ou can ask 'her' to play music from a specific artist, or from 1986 - whatever. This is a consumer feature. You can use the new Samsung Galaxy S7 with their Gear VR headset. This is a consumer feature. Windows 10 for mobile focuses on seamless OneDrive cloud content syncing, using your phone with a monitor, a virtual PA (Cortana), and more secure and faster sign-in (Windows Hello). See the difference?

nillapuddin

I have this case for my 640

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016CB6WAM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Body Glove
41txl%2B%2BkgfL.jpg

Ive never liked having cases on my phones before, but I love this one.

Has anyone had any luck finding a really awesome case for their 950?
Preferably just black and without crazy "features"

(I work construction so I do want some protection)

edit:
yes I understand I should just consult this all holy amazon search results, but Im just asking if anyone has actually bought received and used some of these things

shingi70

Banned
Man tjhe HP elite is hot I wish the app support was there for Windows mobile 10. Two questions shouldn't the X3 be running an Intel chipset and its weird that the phone doesn't dock into the laptop extender.

Man tjhe HP elite is hot I wish the app support was there for Windows mobile 10. Two questions shouldn't the X3 be running an Intel chipset and its weird that the phone doesn't dock into the laptop extender.

Intel chipsets for mobile are reportedly "years away" from being as good as ARM chips.

NeOak

I have this case for my 640

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016CB6WAM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Body Glove
41txl%2B%2BkgfL.jpg

Ive never liked having cases on my phones before, but I love this one.

Has anyone had any luck finding a really awesome case for their 950?
Preferably just black and without crazy "features"

(I work construction so I do want some protection)

edit:
yes I understand I should just consult this all holy amazon search results, but Im just asking if anyone has actually bought received and used some of these things

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017QRJEOW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Best one IMO. Got two as gifts and they love them.

Top Bottom