• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sprint is going to sell WP8 devices (in 2013)!

I ordered a cyan. Mine shipped already, was supposed to be delivered today, but it looks like I'll have to wait at least until tomorrow.

Edit: I must say, all the bad battery and bug reports in the Lumia 920 OT have me nervous.

My battery drain definitely seems software related, so I'm not worried too much. It still seems better than my 900, though.

Mine work like a champ so far, except when I ran Keep Alive. Glitch seems to be with Nokia Drive App not tombstone properly.

Yeah, this was big with mine. I could only either block Nokia Drive completely or let it run constantly in the background--whenever I selected the option to "enable background agent the next time app is accessed", it would just automatically run the background agent.

Milchjon

That was pretty cool. Loves the "find your friends" in the stadium part.

Yeah, if they introduced a "tag my spot" feature for parking and a "tag my spot for my friends to see" feature for stadiums I'd love it.

Just a few weeks ago I was thinking about a way to streamline looking for your friends in big lecture halls. This would be perfect.

Although I suspect it might not be exact enough...

Liberty4all

Banned
Awesome video. I live in an urban core where it will be very useful.

Big question ... Wife and I both have iPhone 4's. I registered both of them under my apple ID so we can share bought apps, music and so forth on both our phones and iPad. This has no effect on our social media profiles which is great.

With wp8 can we do the same thing? Specifically for Xbox Music Pass we would want only one subscription on both phones via one account like what we do now with apple. I'm worried this wont work though as social media feeds are baked into the OS and my wife would end up with my msn messenger stuff on her phone (and my outlook/hotmail too)? I'm guessing this would also mean we would have to share our skydrive storage space too?

Tldr: can we use one account to register 2 phones to share app and music subscriptions while still keeping our email and social media feeds seperate?

Milchjon

Awesome video. I live in an urban core where it will be very useful.

Big question ... Wife and I both have iPhone 4's. I registered both of them under my apple ID so we can share bought apps, music and so forth on both our phones and iPad. This has no effect on our social media profiles which is great.

With wp8 can we do the same thing? Specifically for Xbox Music Pass we would want only one subscription on both phones via one account like what we do now with apple. I'm worried this wont work though as social media feeds are baked into the OS and my wife would end up with my msn messenger stuff on her phone (and my outlook/hotmail too)? I'm guessing this would also mean we would have to share our skydrive storage space too?

Tldr: can we use one account to register 2 phones to share app and music subscriptions while still keeping our email and social media feeds seperate?

I guess you'd have to try. I mean, Facebook and Twitter accounts are independently entered into your phone, but I think MS links them up to your ID. My Facebook contacts show up in my online contacts on skydrive.com.

Izuna

Banned

Basically, your Windows LIVE ID is basically your hub for calenders, game centre, contacts, mail, and subscriptions.

You can tell the phone not to sync mail from your live id and another, but not for Xbox LIVE. You'll have a crap experience with WP if you refuse to sync your social networks to your ID.

However, my bro and I can share Xbox Music if we want to (we don't) by simply connecting a phone to the computer before a song expires (14 days?)

Liberty4all

Banned
Basically, your Windows LIVE ID is basically your hub for calenders, game centre, contacts, mail, and subscriptions.

You can tell the phone not to sync mail from your live id and another, but not for Xbox LIVE. You'll have a crap experience with WP if you refuse to sync your social networks to your ID.

However, my bro and I can share Xbox Music if we want to (we don't) by simply connecting a phone to the computer before a song expires (14 days?)

How would that work? Isn't Xbox pass tied to one account?

It sounds overall though like sharing through one account won't be practical due to how social media profiles are synced in the OS.

On our iPhones we do have our calenders synced which isn't a big deal, but having each others contacts, message fields and social media feeds synced wouldn't work at all

NeOak

You'll have the same contact list, twitter and linked in. Maybe a secondary Microsoft account for contacts could work, but who knows.

Liberty4all

Banned
You'll have the same contact list, twitter and linked in. Maybe a secondary Microsoft account for contacts could work, but who knows.

Doesn't twitter and LinkedIn have different login credentials?

Also I have multiple microsoft email accounts (hotmail and outlook) all linked though.. Wife is gmail. Would i need to make the hotmail account associated with my live account my main?

The Xbox music pass thing is a big deal. Took my wife to see both an iPhone 5 a dummy 920 and a 900 running the OS. She liked the bigger screen on the 920 much better although she wasn't sold on the OS. If we both get 920's we will want to share our Xbox music pass sub. It looks like though that because of how the syncing works it will make this difficult to do which is a bummer.

Liberty4all

Banned

Can you explain this more in depth ? So If I have an Xbox music pass, my wife will also be able to make playlists (from my account on my xbox) and download her playlists into her phone even if she has a different live ID?

Can you explain this more in depth ? So If I have an Xbox music pass, my wife will also be able to make playlists (from my account on my xbox) and download her playlists into her phone even if she has a different live ID?

Hmm, not sure exactly how it works, but you can register multiple devices to a single Zune pass, IIRC. Don't know if this changed with the switch to Xbox Music or how it works with multiple accounts.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally held a 920 and 8X. The 920 felt really good and looks much better than my 900. The 8X however felt amazing. I wonder how the softer polycarbonate of the 8X will hold up? The battery talk of the 920 has me a but concerned as well, but I imagine it will get sorted.

Liberty4all

Banned
I digged a little deeper.

Xbox Music Pass is designed for a single user. If other members of your household have Windows Phones, their own Microsoft accounts would be associated with their phones and, therefore, they would need their own Xbox Music Passes.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/music-and-video/music/use-music-pass

US site but I'm sure same as in Canada ... If I'm reading that right the only way wife and I will be sharing music is if she registers her phone under my Live ID.

Is there any way to use my live ID but still allow her to designate another secondary live ID as her "primary" account on the device when pulling feeds, messenger, contacts, setting up facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc?

You are allowed up to 4 devices per music pass ...

cube444

Finally held a 920 and 8X. The 920 felt really good and looks much better than my 900. The 8X however felt amazing. I wonder how the softer polycarbonate of the 8X will hold up? The battery talk of the 920 has me a but concerned as well, but I imagine it will get sorted.

It really did. I agree.

NeOak

I digged a little deeper.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/music-and-video/music/use-music-pass

US site but I'm sure same as in Canada ... If I'm reading that right the only way wife and I will be sharing music is if she registers her phone under my Live ID.

Is there any way to use my live ID but still allow her to designate another secondary live ID as her "primary" account on the device when pulling feeds, messenger, contacts, setting up facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc?

You are allowed up to 4 devices per music pass ...

No, the phone is designed for a single user. Kid's corner I'd the closest to a multi-account setup.

It bugs me that there's a bunch of blank space in the little volume/music mini-app. I'd like to at least see the track progress (wasn't this in the OG WP7?) and ability to favorite a song without going into the music app.

8dmJr.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Well my wife is going to let me get a new phone :lol I can't get another one for at least 2+ years so whatever I choose I better like it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It bugs me that there's a bunch of blank space in the little volume/music mini-app. I'd like to at least see the track progress (wasn't this in the OG WP7?) and ability to favorite a song without going into the music app.

http://i.imgur.com/8dmJr.jpgIMG][/QUOTE]

there's no track progress on WP7 and those additional buttons would be so small it would be impossible to hit them.

No it won't work. Only way to do it is to have wife sign into your Live ID on her phone but not sync mail, contacts and used separate mail. She still be log into your Live account so Xbox Live profile will be your.

I don't think she will like the experience to be honest.

Liberty4all

Banned
No it won't work. Only way to do it is to have wife sign into your Live ID on her phone but not sync mail, contacts and used separate mail. She still be log into your Live account so Xbox Live profile will be your.

Ok thanks. A little disappointed about this ... Maybe there will be a family Xbox music plan in the future.

PG2G

Can't you sync with up to 5 devices though? Sure, you might not be able to download and steam from the phone, but you might be able to download from the PC and sync to both devices.

Not 100% sure though...

Izuna

Banned
Ok thanks. A little disappointed about this ... Maybe there will be a family Xbox music plan in the future.

Okay let me be clear.

When me and my bro had Omnia 7s he had a Zune pass and I didn't.

I would plug my phone into his computer and the song would sync to my phone, which obviously had a different LIVE ID.

However after about two weeks, it said I needed to plug it into a PC and re-authenticate the music.

So we could definitely share Zune pass.

However with the recent problems I'm having with Zune I can't be sure you can still do this. Even if it still works, she won't be able to download anything with on her phone.

Twitter, FB etc. can be added separately. You can specify for your LIVE ID to not sync, and add different social accounts. It'll just be less convenient and turn your phone into an iPhone =P

Totakeke

Yes, based on Zune Pass you can actually download songs on your computer and then transfer it to other devices but you have a ~2-week DRM limit which you have then to resync with the computer you transferred from . I believe this is not counted into the 5-devices limit of the Zune Pass but rather just a sharing of songs. The 5-devices sharing limit (which includes PC, Xbox, Phone, Zune) needs you to actually log into your own account to work.

cube444

Cool. Hope I can find one.

with a good battery ;)

:lol I'm guessing the battery issue must be related to certain apps or enabled settings/features that some people have installed/on while others don't.

Time will tell what's causing the potential battery issues.

Liberty4all

Banned
Okay let me be clear.

When me and my bro had Omnia 7s he had a Zune pass and I didn't.

I would plug my phone into his computer and the song would sync to my phone, which obviously had a different LIVE ID.

However after about two weeks, it said I needed to plug it into a PC and re-authenticate the music.

So we could definitely share Zune pass.

However with the recent problems I'm having with Zune I can't be sure you can still do this. Even if it still works, she won't be able to download anything with on her phone.

Twitter, FB etc. can be added separately. You can specify for your LIVE ID to not sync, and add different social accounts. It'll just be less convenient and turn your phone into an iPhone =P

Thanks ... Sounds like a viable workaround if it still works.

What are the benefits of syncing a live ID versus not syncing? I don't think my wife even has a live account. I do for email and Xbox live ...

frontieruk

Thanks ... Sounds like a viable workaround if it still works.

What are the benefits of syncing a live ID versus not syncing? I don't think my wife even has a live account. I do for email and Xbox live ...

you tie your Facebook and twitter account to it for the social streams to work, and the built in Facebook chat.

along with Xbox stuff and is the store tied to a live account?

Liberty4all

Banned
you tie your Facebook and twitter account to it for the social streams to work, and the built in Facebook chat.

along with Xbox stuff and is the store tied to a live account?

Ah I get it. So if we don't sync we'd have to separate apps for social media ala iPhone.

No way id do that, half the benefit and appeal of wp8 is the baked in social media features. Thanks for clarifying though I appreciate that.

Our Xbox pass and Xbox live stuff is all tied to my live account. If I can share though to her phone via my PC that will be our workaround. She makes her playlists on the Xbox so not being able to download directly to her phone wouldn't be a major issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom