• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazinova

The resolution is obviously very high and the screen is nice and clear, but I compared it side by side with my partners S3 and her screen seems to 'pop' a lot more. Her colours just look brighter and warmer where as my 920 seems a little dull in comparison (crisp, but dull).
Maybe I need to mess around with the settings.

I've found that my 920 has a turbo brightness mode it goes into when I put it in direct sunlight. Try getting into that mode.

OT should be up tonight or tomorrow--making pretty shit right now.

If there's anything in particular you'd like to see covered, let me know.
Probably hints and tips for people that are new to Windows Phone. I don't know much about making OT on a forum otherwise I would help.

TIulv.jpg

My home screen, love the blue on red phone.

PG2G

Has the voice recognition improved a lot? I can say, without a doubt, that the Lumia 920 is kicking the crap out of my Samsung devices (Focus and Focus Flash) in that regard.

The voice sounds a little different too

Heretic

Went on Saturday to see the phone and it is HUGE! Not heavy at all though. I have the HTC G2 from T-Mobile and that phone was heavy when I first got it. But I was surprised at how big the phone was.

I'm switching over to AT&T... My days of making fun of them are over =(

Out of curiosity: Can we use skydrive like we would use photobucket or imgurl or any other of the image hosting sites? Would be pretty cool if we could snap a picture, upload to skydrive, and tag it on a forum.

zedge

Played with the dummy 8X and 920 at Rogers today, they don't have the actual phones yet apparently. Didn't really like the 8X, its too skinny and long feeling.. similar to an iphone 5. The 920 was really nice, quite like the matte black.

The 8x will be $649 off contract with Rogers. are they fucking kidding? Guy said he thinks the 920 will be the same.. sigh.

On a side note, you would never even know these phones existed, every other store had no displays, no mention of WP8, squat. Best Buy Mobile, Bell, Telus, Wireless Wave, nothing. How the hell does MS think its going to get market share and mind share if this is how they launch their platform?

cube444

Played with the dummy 8X and 920 at Rogers today, they don't have the actual phones yet apparently. Didn't really like the 8X, its too skinny and long feeling.. similar to an iphone 5. The 920 was really nice, quite like the matte black.

The 8x will be $649 off contract with Rogers. are they fucking kidding? Guy said he thinks the 920 will be the same.. sigh.

On a side note, you would never even know these phones existed, every other store had no displays, no mention of WP8, squat. Best Buy Mobile, Bell, Telus, Wireless Wave, nothing. How the hell does MS think its going to get market share and mind share if this is how they launch their platform?

Yep. That's the total of the 920 after they "unlock" it for you.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

My local AT&T has a gigantic Lumia 920 promo display behind the counter.......and no WP8 phones on the floor. My brother is trying to decide between the 8X and iPhone 5, it would be great if they could get some demo units for people to look at the awesome colors.

Yeah, he just got snipped. He's pissed that he no longer has a desire to spray his musk all over my bedroom.

But at least you can see it. It's from an unshared folder, so looks like you can treat Skydrive as any other image host.

How did you do that? I know you can share links, I did not know you can just post picture to message board.

Your cat does look really annoy.

How did you do that? I know you can share links, I did not know you can just post picture to message board.

Your cat does look really annoy.

Click the image you want, then right click the image and select View Original, or just right click and choose View Original.

Does that mean I can stop working on it and throw everything away? Good.

Damn, sorry, didn't know you were working on it--I thought Troll asked you a few pages ago about it and I didn't see a response.

I don't have a whole lot done--some graphics and basic info on new features. Could share it with you, if you think it'd be useful.

I don't have a whole lot done--some graphics and basic info on new features. Could share it with you, if you think it'd be useful.

Text, text, text. I want all the text you got.

e: To be fair, I didn't want to to the OT, because I'm always drowning in work around the holiday season. It's been 50-60 hrs per week lately, so progress has been a little bit slow. Sorry about that. It should be up tomorrow, maybe even today.

Heretic

I apologize for asking this question again but I'm a bit hard headed...

What does the 920 need in order to work on T-Mobile in the U.S.A.? Can any unlocked phone, say from Canada, work here in the states?

I'm having my doubts on switching to AT&T and I want to make sure there's absolutely no way I can get the 920 on T-Mobile before joining them.

I was perfectly happy with the 8x on T-Mobile but seeing the $99 price tag... I can't pass that up. Heck, it's $50 if you get it at Wal-Mart! Plus the free charging dock.

freshair

I apologize for asking this question again but I'm a bit hard headed...

What does the 920 need in order to work on T-Mobile in the U.S.A.? Can any unlocked phone, say from Canada, work here in the states?

I'm having my doubts on switching to AT&T and I want to make sure there's absolutely no way I can get the 920 on T-Mobile before joining them.

I was perfectly happy with the 8x on T-Mobile but seeing the $99 price tag... I can't pass that up. Heck, it's $50 if you get it at Wal-Mart! Plus the free charging dock.

Purchase the unlocked Rogers one via Negri. They're confirmed to have the necessary AWS bands to work with T-Mobile. The unlocked international version also doesn't have the bands either, so don't purchase that one by mistake.

source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=33906339&postcount=43

Milchjon

e: To be fair, I didn't want to to the OT, because I'm always drowning in work around the holiday season. It's been 50-60 hrs per week lately, so progress has been a little bit slow. Sorry about that. It should be up tomorrow, maybe even today.

Awwww...

We love you, brot!

Izuna

Banned
Where did these "flood" games come from? My non-gamer gf loves them. Are they WP exclusive or something?

Tile Flood
Color Flood (the best)
Color Fill?

Izuna

Banned

NP, I think there was just some confusion. I'll PM you what I have tonight.

Izuna

Banned
what device you got?

I upgraded from Omnia 7 to Lumia 800 a couple days ago. I got given it until I get my own 920, so I can get used to the feel of Nokia phones.

I'm loving the .5 upgrade so much that... I think I want to stick with a Lumia 800 for a few months. Camera blows though.

EDIT: Just realised Color Flood doesn't limit how many times you change the color. Tile Flood then =)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The hell is happening with tmobile? First the miss getting he best WP8 phone and now they're not even talking about when they're getting their own offerings out.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The hell is happening with tmobile? First the miss getting he best WP8 phone and now they're not even talking about when they're getting their own offerings out.

Subsidizing devices costs millions of dollars..TMo probably can't front the cost

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Just got my 8X, pretty cool so far.

My number hasn't been ported over yet, so can't really do much with it though.

Magni

Yea its pretty sad. I am tempted to get the At&t version from Negri, about $150 less than the Rogers one. $497 for at&t vs $650 from Rogers.

http://negrielectronics.com/phones/windows-phone-7.html#.UKHG4_fn-Uk

It should work with Bell for LTE I think.

Locked to AT&T though.

Cross-posting from the Worth the Weight thread:

I played with a 920 earlier, it's definitely worth the weight (way to blow a non-issue out of proportion, reviewers), but is it worth the wait? This has dragged on way too long.

cube444

Locked to AT&T though.

Cross-posting from the Worth the Weight thread:

I played with a 920 earlier, it's definitely worth the weight (way to blow a non-issue out of proportion, reviewers), but is it worth the wait? This has dragged on way too long.

I agree. If the Yorkdale Mall store turns out to be a bust and doesn't sell me one outright, I'll probably hold off until next Spring to see what's released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom