• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

strata8

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread, but will Microsoft ever remove 'games' from the applications section? Having games clog up the top and new lists is just frustrating.

snap0212

I'm a bit late to the Skydrive discussion but maybe someone can answer my question. :)

Am I allowed to upload my legally purchased MP3s to the service? After losing all of my music due to a hard drive failure I'd love to use their service to back up MP3s. If that's allowed (or maybe even encouraged) I'd really start buying music on Zune again.

JaggedSac

I'm a bit late to the Skydrive discussion but maybe someone can answer my question. :)

Am I allowed to upload my legally purchased MP3s to the service? After losing all of my music due to a hard drive failure I'd love to use their service to back up MP3s. If that's allowed (or maybe even encouraged) I'd really start buying music on Zune again.

Yes you can. There is even an app to stream your music from your SkyDrive.

jagowar

Yes you can. There is even an app to stream your music from your SkyDrive.

Speaking of the app I tried 2 of them last night.... Cloud Music and SkyMusic. Cloud Music had all kinds of issues working for me but SkyMusic has been really good so far. Just wondering if there are any other apps I should try before buying one.

Milchjon

The Wordament Xbox Live update is here! And it looks like I can only play against Germans now? Which is funny, cause the game is still in English. But at least this way I can actually win a game (against about 50 others...)

Edit: Wait, looks like it's still international, but only a few people already updated. Well, I'm lucky then, I would've never gotten the Achievement for getting No 1 any other way :-D

hwalker84

The Wordament Xbox Live update is here! And it looks like I can only play against Germans now? Which is funny, cause the game is still in English. But at least this way I can actually win a game (against about 50 others...)

Edit: Wait, looks like it's still international, but only a few people already updated. Well, I'm lucky then, I would've never gotten the Achievement for getting No 1 any other way :-D

I got it and I'm in America

derFeef

Hm, no update for me. Is it an update to the current app or a complete new app?

Korey

Words by Post, Chess by Post, Carcassonne should be coming soon.

My Wordament name is Schuey.

Thanks! What's cool about Words by Post is you can play with friends that have iPhone or Android.

Let us know if there are any more asynchronous games!

A few options.

Set up for google voice and grab an app for that. I recommend GoVoice. Technically it's not VoIP, but gives you cheap international and a lot of cool features including SMS over data.

Other options include Skype, though it appears to be a bit limited.

Probably the best VoIP is Tango, though it only works with other Tango users (it's on all major phone OS's and PC). If you have an AT&T phone that came preloaded with it, just remember to delete it and reinstall the one from the marketplace. The AT&T rev is gumped to only work over WiFi.

Granted the latter 2 offer video ... there may be some other voice only I'm not aware of off the top if my head.

Looks really limited on WP right now. Thanks for the list. I'm also looking into MobileVOIP...seems there are some options there.

kazinova

Schuey F1 said:
Words by Post, Chess by Post, Carcassonne should be coming soon.

My Wordament name is Schuey.
Thanks! What's cool about Words by Post is you can play with friends that have iPhone or Android.

Let us know if there are any more asynchronous games!

I'm totally stoked if the Chess by Post rumor is true, I've been wishing I could play that for a while. I wonder if those asychronous multiplayer games that are non-XBL titles could be made to interact with the Games hub.

Are there any games that use it now?

Wordament update is friggin' sweet btw.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
You can get Chess by Post right now.

If Zombies ever gets the multiplayer online update, I'm totally buying it.

Edit: Carcassonne is coming soon. Realized by my sentence that you could take it as Chess By Post coming soon as well.

You can get Chess by Post right now.

If Zombies ever gets the multiplayer online update, I'm totally buying it.

Edit: Carcassonne is coming soon. Realized by my sentence that you could take it as Chess By Post coming soon as well.

OMG need to load chess by post now. even if i suck at chess

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
<-gaf name :)
I suck though, I am missing half of the words because I don't know them (not native english speaker).

I looked you up and it didn't find you, you sure it's your gaf name? All I got is schuey right now, anyone else want to be wordament frenemies?

Edit: also, kazinova is a deadbeat on words by post :p

I have the Skydrive desktop application set to allow access to all my files from other devices, but I can't find my pc anywhere in the WP7 app. Will this be added in a future update?

Raistlin

I have the Skydrive desktop application set to allow access to all my files from other devices, but I can't find my pc anywhere in the WP7 app. Will this be added in a future update?
I'm curious as well.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried any of the apps for playing music over skydrive? For example Sky Player? Any impressions?

derFeef

I looked you up and it didn't find you, you sure it's your gaf name? All I got is schuey right now, anyone else want to be wordament frenemies?

I am having issues updating to the new wordament right now so I have no idea if im still there. The new one uses the gamertag right? Then it's "daFeef"

edit: gotit! this game is so good :)

Korey

I really like Nokia Maps. I wish I could have it as the default for Local Scout.

I tried the built in maps thing and it seemed really good! It even had turn by turn directions although you have to tap it to read it out loud.

Are there any other free map/direction apps I should try that are better?

kazinova

In my defense I actively play the amount of moves it takes in those games to remember that they should not be filed under "Scrabble clones" but rather "Seething Hatred Generators"

Chess is a totally different story.

Raistlin

The Verge: Google Drive vs. Dropbox, SkyDrive, SugarSync, and others: head to head

Nice little comparison. Looks like SkyDrive is the real deal ... especially if you were grandfathered with 25GB. Doesn't seem like we're losing out with our limited client app availability.

bigchart-5.jpeg

jagowar

The Verge: Google Drive vs. Dropbox, SkyDrive, SugarSync, and others: head to head

Nice little comparison. Looks like SkyDrive is the real deal ... especially if you were grandfathered with 25GB. Doesn't seem like we're losing out with our limited client app availability.

When you factor in the paid tiers skydrive really is best in class now which I admin surprised the hell out of me.... really thought google was going to do what google does and undercut everybody.

I am going to be buying the 100+25 gig tier for my account and uploading my music collection and bunch of video I want to save long term (already used it for my docs and photos).

Milchjon

When you factor in the paid tiers skydrive really is best in class now which I admin surprised the hell out of me.... really thought google was going to do what google does and undercut everybody.

I am going to be buying the 100+25 gig tier for my account and uploading my music collection and bunch of video I want to save long term (already used it for my docs and photos).

I haven't really followed all of this, but isn't one of the main advantages of Google Drive that that it's more than a simple file collection and integrates the Docs functions as well as the ability to open a huge amount of file formats like .psd etc without additional programs?
That's what I gathered from skimming the buzz and if it's true, that's a real improvement.

Not that I'm complaining about 25 gigs and integration in WP7, which will be put to good use....

I haven't really followed all of this, but isn't one of the main advantages of Google Drive that that it's more than a simple file collection and integrates the Docs functions as well as the ability to open a huge amount of file formats like .psd etc without additional programs?
That's what I gathered from skimming the buzz and if it's true, that's a real improvement.

Not that I'm complaining about 25 gigs and integration in WP7, which will be put to good use....

windows live offers office functionality as well

Raistlin

While GoogleDrive does support .psd and OCR text scanning of pictures, most other formats are supported on SkyDrive. MS has web versions of Office, just like GoogleDocs. So clicking on a word document, etc. will open it on the we page.

I just tried playing an .MP3 directly on the SkyDrive site and unfortunately that doesn't work (started downloading it). Then again, GoogleDrive doesn't support this either. Hell it doesn't even stream to Android, whereas you can stream both audio and video to WP7 and iOS with SkyDrive. I believe there may be some sites to get audio streaming on SkyDrive but I haven't looked into it.

Hopefully they'll add native A/V capabilities like how Dropbox can do audio. Really shouldn't be hard to implement on their end.

jagowar

The bastardization of zune has commenced.... still I see this as a good thing as whatever integration with win8 can probably take over now.

Commodore

Interesting development on the Zune software. I wonder what they have planned software wise when Windows 8 hits later this year. Upgraded SkyDrive to 25 GB, and upgraded Wordament to XBOX LIVE. Feels good. My tag: TheRealJander

gcubed

I just tried playing an .MP3 directly on the SkyDrive site and unfortunately that doesn't work (started downloading it). Then again, GoogleDrive doesn't support this either. Hell it doesn't even stream to Android, whereas you can stream both audio and video to WP7 and iOS with SkyDrive. I believe there may be some sites to get audio streaming on SkyDrive but I haven't looked into it.

Hopefully they'll add native A/V capabilities like how Dropbox can do audio. Really shouldn't be hard to implement on their end.

Why would you even use that as a test? You can store and stream 20,000 of them for free from Google.

Still don't have the Wordament update (doesn't appear in the marketplace either).

I'm so addicted to the game, and I'm fucking terrible at it.

JaggedSac

I'm 180 on the all time leaderboard and the dam achievement has yet to unlock. Ugh. New color is atrocious. At least give me the option to go to the black background.

And for the person a couple posts above, you can stream music from third party SkyDrive streaming apps. I was writing an app that does something similar, plus lets you stream from a friend's SkyDrive as well. Mixed their music with yours in the same list, so it is seamless and appears like your own music. Haven't had time to finish it though. Probably would be ripped from the market anyway.

Raistlin

And for the person a couple posts above, you can stream music from third party SkyDrive streaming apps. I was writing an app that does something similar, plus lets you stream from a friend's SkyDrive as well. Mixed their music with yours in the same list, so it is seamless and appears like your own music. Haven't had time to finish it though. Probably would be ripped from the market anyway.
I was referring to through a web browser. I know there are WP7 apps.

That said, I asked earlier if anyone has used them ... and if so, how do they perform.

I'm aware of Sky Player and CloudPlayer (or whatever it's called). Do you know how they perform?

JaggedSac

I was referring to through a web browser. I know there are WP7 apps.

That said, I asked earlier if anyone has used them ... and if so, how do they perform.

I'm aware of Sky Player and CloudPlayer (or whatever it's called). Do you know how they perform?

I farted around with CloudPlayer and it was ok. Structured mostly like the Zune app. Didn't spend much time with it, but seemed functional enough.

Raistlin

Very ICS. It works pretty well though.

http://db.tt/KN9lwHGJ

Though not sure if its themed that way due to the source browser.
Does it support cover art, etc?

I farted around with CloudPlayer and it was ok. Structured mostly like the Zune app. Didn't spend much time with it, but seemed functional enough.
Thanks, I'll have to test them this weekend. I'll give impressions.

I'm hoping Zune directly interfaces with SkyDrive in WP8. I have a sneaking suspicion it will ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom