• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Because these are fucking phones giga.

From the sounds of it, MS is opening up the phone (and other) API's so OEM's and providers can directly interface VoIP to the regular phone interface.

The hope is this will be opened up to devs as well.

Your 'because these are fucking phones giga' statement doesn't really make sense if you look were phones are actually trending. It's quite likely we'll eventually move to an entirely data model for phones. ie SMS, talk, etc, will all simply be data. There will only be one plan you pay for. Data.

Raistlin

I'll pass that along to the IT staff of the large government agency I work for. :p

Don't worry, they'll be moving soon enough - mine did. Support ends in 2014.

As others have mentioned though, I'm surprised they're cool with you using dropbox ... even on a non-classified PC.

JaggedSac

I want to but I like posting links and calling it a day. Someone who isn't lazy should do it.

Same. If one isn't up by the time I leave work, I'll entertain the possibility of thinking about doing it.

derFeef said:

Cool. Although the thread title isn't really very good as SkyDrive always had 25GB for free. Would have been much better had it was provocatively titled, such as "SkyDrive destroys DropBox".

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I bet you have access to people's personal data though.

Of course, but if I wanted to take any of it, there isn't much of anything they could do. Blocking dropbox won't do anything if I can just stick a thumb drive, burn a DVD, or email myself a file. Heck, I could write down ssn numbers on a piece of paper or take pics with my smartphone. If you're not working with state secrets, all they do for employees is sign confidentiality agreements and take action if you breach it. Putting more restrictions on the average govt workers would just waste much more money than is already wasted AND still wouldn't result in significantly preventing data theft if someone is set on doing it. Sorry if I burst your bubble on how govt agencies work. /offtopic

raistlin said:
Your 'because these are fucking phones giga' statement doesn't really make sense if you look were phones are actually trending

Even so, I think you didn't quite capture the entire context of the discussion. Needless to say, just because modular alerts are currently accepted for phone calls, that doesn't automatically make it fine for all other apps, and especially not in the way ios implements them. And that's the crux of what I was arguing against, there are better ways to alert users for most situations that dont involve a pop up putting everything else you are doing on hold.

I figured since Skype is now part of MS they would have native code access for features unlike other developers.

IIRC correctly, a large part of the problem with the Skype application was that they pretty much had to put ALL development/communication on hold when MS made the initial purchase of Skype. The approval process went until December (IIRC), so basically, the Skype team had about 4 months since then to finish up the app they were initially preparing for WP.

Assuming they are working on native access, which I know nothing about...but I assume was the purpose for purchasing Skype (along with Xbox integration), they probably won't be updating or working much longer on the Skype app. This is all conjecture, but that's my reasoning for why Skype is so bad right now on WP. They're probably not spending all effort on the native-code or OS-integration rather than on a standalone app.

TL:DR: Conjecture that Skye sucks because they had a couple of people finish up the app once MS acquisition finished, and spun off nearly all of the previous people working on the app into a native-code or integrated version of Skype for the next iteration of WP.

Again, complete conjecture, no MS insight other than the fact that they could not communicate/work with MS during acquisition process.

Raistlin

Even so, I think you didn't quite capture the entire context of the discussion. Needless to say, just because modular alerts are currently accepted for phone calls, that doesn't automatically make it fine for all other apps, and especially not in the way ios implements them. And that's the crux of what I was arguing against, there are better ways to alert users for most situations that dont involve a pop up putting everything else you are doing on hold.
I see where you going with this.

All I'm saying is I think consistency would be preferable ... regardless of where you fall on how notification should occur. Separate handling of phone vs VoIP is crap imo.

frontieruk

Of course, but if I wanted to take any of it, there isn't much of anything they could do. Blocking dropbox won't do anything if I can just stick a thumb drive, burn a DVD, or email myself a file. Heck, I could write down ssn numbers on a piece of paper or take pics with my smartphone. If you're not working with state secrets, all they do for employees is sign confidentiality agreements and take action if you breach it. Putting more restrictions on the average govt workers would just waste much more money than is already wasted AND still wouldn't result in significantly preventing data theft if someone is set on doing it. Sorry if I burst your bubble on how govt agencies work.

well as I also work for govt agency, I was surprised as thumb drives / Cd/DVD writers / cloud storage are locked down so data isn't walking out on any of those mediums, email would still be valid but easily traceable, so no you've not burst my bubble over how they work with your little rant but I do hope you feel better for it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
well as I also work for govt agency, I was surprised as thumb drives / Cd/DVD writers / cloud storage are locked down so data isn't walking out on any of those mediums, email would still be valid but easily traceable, so no you've not burst my bubble over how they work with your little rant but I do hope you feel better for it.

How are they going to trace the notepad, you get stripsearched when you walk out of work every day? How about if you just take pics with your smartphone, do you have a restriction on that? My point was that it just isn't cost effective to implement for the vast majority of employees with direct or indirect access to sensitive info. Your agency put in more measures, but my situation isn't uncommon in govt. Hey, they block neogaf so that's something, right?

Edit: the SkyDrive YouTube video showing off the new features is an iPhone commercial with a windows phone cameo thrown in at the end. I think part of the fake presentation they are preparing in the video is for an iPhone app. At least they're keeping it realistic.

Korey

Is there a way to make your phone completely silent temporarily, other than turning the volume all the way down to 0? OR is there an easy way to turn your volume down, like an on screen slider or something, other than me clicking volume down 30 times?

I have it set to vibrate only, but apps still make full volume sound.

Raistlin

Is there a way to make your phone completely silent temporarily, other than turning the volume all the way down to 0? OR is there an easy way to turn your volume down, like an on screen slider or something, other than me clicking volume down 30 times?

I have it set to vibrate only, but apps still make full volume sound.

If you go to settings/system/ringtones+sounds, you can control what generates sounds.

Otherwise there is no direct mute button. That said, why would you be 'clicking volume down 30 times'? You can just hold down the button

Korey

If you go to settings/system/ringtones+sounds, you can control what generates sounds.

Otherwise there is no direct mute button. That said, why would you be 'clicking volume down 30 times'? You can just hold down the button
yea...theres only like five options in there and there's nothing to turn off app sounds.

Holding down the button is a pain too. Or at least more effort than should be required to do something that simple.

I just wish there was just an easy way to silence your phone...

yea...theres only like five options in there and there's nothing to turn off app sounds.

Holding down the button is a pain too.

If Apollo doesn't give a separate volume control for games and music vs. system volume, I will literally shit my pants.

Raistlin

Holding down the button is a pain too. Or at least more effort than should be required to do something that simple.

While yes it would be nice for some sort of mute button, I really don't see turning it down to be that big of a deal.

What I find more problematic is that it doesn't have separate volume memories for when bluetooth is connected, headphones are connected, and nothing is connected. I find that situation arising much more often than turning it down to essentially 'mute' it like for work or something.

The issue is when using bluetooth or the 3.5mm to send audio to your car or stereo ... you need to have it jacked to 30. When you disconnect it, you then have to turn the phone down immediately or it's loud as fuck. I run into that much more often. Since the OS can detect when it's connected either way (by virtue of the fact pulling out your headphones or turning off a bluetooth device will pause the audio) ... this capability would be easy to implement.

I'd love to have it so my headphones are low level ... nothing connected is a bit higher ... and then bluetooth is cranked up to 11. Would be great.

Magni

I play it a bit. I'm not very good though. I'll add you. Also I believe that the Xbox Live version of Wordament comes out this week :)

Comes out this Wednesday, super excited as it's easily my most played game along with WordFeud.

Magni (until Wednesday!) if you want to add another Frenemy to the list :)

Korey

Is there a way to make VOIP calls using Google Chat? Like through gmail or an app or something? Or are there any other free VOIP solutions?

Raistlin

Is there a way to make VOIP calls using Google Chat? Like through gmail or an app or something? Or are there any other free VOIP solutions?
A few options.

Set up for google voice and grab an app for that. I recommend GoVoice. Technically it's not VoIP, but gives you cheap international and a lot of cool features including SMS over data.

Other options include Skype, though it appears to be a bit limited.

Probably the best VoIP is Tango, though it only works with other Tango users (it's on all major phone OS's and PC). If you have an AT&T phone that came preloaded with it, just remember to delete it and reinstall the one from the marketplace. The AT&T rev is gumped to only work over WiFi.

Granted the latter 2 offer video ... there may be some other voice only I'm not aware of off the top if my head.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
List of improvements coming to the Facebook app very soon:

- Threaded messaging
Full Facebook threaded messaging including group messaging, all in a beautiful Metro style design.

- Tagging
Now you can tag friends and locations in your posts in the ‘with’ and ‘at’ format.

- Delete posts and comments
Use the tap and hold context menu to delete posts and comments from your wall.

- Active links in posts
Tap on links in posts to go directly to the content.

- Updates to the photo comments and likes page
The photo comments and likes page has been updated to match the posts comments and likes page. You can see a hint of the image at the top of the page, pull down and you can see the whole thing.

- And finally, by popular demand…
…you can now ‘like’ comments!

List of improvements coming to the Facebook app very soon:

- Threaded messaging
Full Facebook threaded messaging including group messaging, all in a beautiful Metro style design.

- Tagging
Now you can tag friends and locations in your posts in the ‘with’ and ‘at’ format.

- Delete posts and comments
Use the tap and hold context menu to delete posts and comments from your wall.

- Active links in posts
Tap on links in posts to go directly to the content.

- Updates to the photo comments and likes page
The photo comments and likes page has been updated to match the posts comments and likes page. You can see a hint of the image at the top of the page, pull down and you can see the whole thing.

- And finally, by popular demand…
…you can now ‘like’ comments!

Windows Phone Facebook App team

Bringing essential features 1 1/2 year later

I went to check out white Lumia today ... and I think that gloss white is just ugly. Sorry fans of white Lumia. I understand why they have to make it glossy because being white ...

If I get one it will be cyan, but with all the update uncertainty I might just keep my update for Apollo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom