• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't anything like a notification center in Windows 8. Not saying that's definitive, but it's at least indicative of the direction they may go.

I think the official word on a NC in Windows 8 is something like "Live tiles = notification center" and that's why I doubt we'll get one in Apollo.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not even that. We're talking about a simple modal notification.

skype_201_incoming_call.jpg

I absolutely hate that shit on ios. The notification at the top is fine on wp7, they just have to make it so it doesn't go away quickly for things like tango call notifications.

And I really hope they come up with a notification center in wp8. This thread has already shown two good ways to do it metro-style: have a swipe left panel, or Me tile integration.

I hope they dont pull an Apple and just copy android straight up. The notification pulldown on my iPad looks horrendous and doesn't fit with the rest of the OS and how it works. It never feels right and I can't believe Apple software designers thought the look of it fit with ios. Then again, that entire OS is looking more dated every day. Time for a refresh Apple.

giga

I absolutely hate that shit on ios. The notification at the top is fine on wp7, they just have to make it so it doesn't go away quickly for things like tango call notifications.

And I really hope they come up with a notification center in wp8. This thread has already shown two good ways to do it metro-style: have a swipe left panel, or Me tile integration.

I hope they dont pull an Apple and just copy android straight up. The notification pulldown on my iPad looks horrendous and doesn't fit with the rest of the OS and how it works. It never feels right and I can't believe Apple software designers thought the look of it fit with ios. Then again, that entire OS is looking more dated every day. Time for a refresh Apple.
No, you can't have it go away. The dialog is modal because it needs action from the user to either dismiss or answer the call. iOS 5 supports both those dialogs and banners for a reason. It makes sense for an incoming call.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No, you can't have it go away. The dialog is modal because it needs action from the user to either dismiss or answer the call. iOS 5 supports both those dialogs and banners for a reason. It makes sense for an incoming call.

It can go away, just like a missed call. If you dont answer it in a specific amount of time, it shouldn't just stay there, that's stupid.

giga

It can go away, just like a missed call. If you dont answer it in a specific amount of time, it shouldn't just stay there, that's stupid.
I'm not saying it shouldn't go away if the call is ended. I'm saying that when a call comes in--whether Skype or your regular phone number--the dialog is modal because it needs action from the user.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not saying it shouldn't go away if the call is ended. I'm saying that when a call comes in--whether Skype or your regular phone number--the dialog is modal because it needs action from the user.

Again, we already have that capability, it just needs to be extended so it doesn't go away as quickly. So as long as the call request is active, the toast remains at the top of the screen. The user can respond to it the same way as the ugly ass pop up on ios. You can click on it to accept, or swipe it away to dismiss it. The only problem now is that the toast is up for only a few seconds.

giga

Again, we already have that capability, it just needs to be extended so it doesn't go away as quickly. So as long as the call request is active, the toast remains at the top of the screen. The user can respond to it the same way as the ugly ass pop up on ios. You can click on it to accept, or swipe it away to dismiss it. The only problem now is that the toast is up for only a few seconds.
…therefore, we don't have that capability. Hell, the god damn Skype team didn't even implement toast notifications for instant messages.

Blackhead

Redarse

Bah, I used a popular jailbreak tweak, CallBar, that stuck the modal dialog as an alert instead. Much better.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
…therefore, we don't have that capability. Hell, the god damn Skype team didn't even implement toast notifications for instant messages.

The very first post you quoted I mentioned that it needs to be fixed by extending existing functionality so the toast doesn't go away as quickly. You disagreed with that saying that we needed ios-style modal notifications but you have failed to show how that is better or even different to what I suggested.

giga

The very first post you quoted I mentioned that it needs to be fixed by extending existing functionality so the toast doesn't go away as quickly. You disagreed with that saying that we needed ios-style modal notifications but you have failed to show how that is better or even different to what I suggested.
I quoted you because I said the notification can't arbitrarily go away, like it does now. Sure, if the person calling hangs up, then kill the toast. But you can't say "extend it by x more seconds" and call it a day. It needs to be persistent.

derFeef

I quoted you because I said the notification can't arbitrarily go away, like it does now. Sure, if the person calling hangs up, then kill the toast. But you can't say "extend it by x more seconds" and call it a day. It needs to be persistent.

What... I think you are contraticting yourself now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
But you can't say "extend it by x more seconds" and call it a day. It needs to be persistent.

That's not what I said in that post you originally quoted and it's not what I've been saying since, but I think we're on the same page now. Seems like an easy enough fix, lets see what happens in Apollo.

giga

You're really comparing that to the shitty ass popups on ios? Come on man, I know you like Apple and shit, but you dont have to defend popups in the middle of the screen. You're better than that.
…the fuck? I'm comparing the concept of a modal dialog. Something that requires action from the user before you can do anything else.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
…the fuck? I'm comparing the concept of a modal dialog. Something that requires action before you can do anything else.

Well then we will disagree there. I don't think a Skype/Tango call should put everything else on hold like a regular phone call does. Those modal alerts are bullshit, and if the wp8 team is able to fix toasts like we've discussed, it'll be a superior AND more elegant solution than the stupid popups on ios.

And to be clear, the popups are stupid. Defending them is stupid. Modal notifications outside of phone calls that stop whatever you are doing and put up a dialog in the middle of the screen that you have to act on are stupid.

giga

Well then we will disagree there. I don't think a Skype/Tango call should put everything else on hold like a regular phone call does. Those modal alerts are bullshit, and if the wp8 team is able to fix toasts like we've discussed, it'll be a superior AND more elegant solution than the stupid popups on ios.

And to be clear, the popups are stupid. Defending them is stupid. Modal notifications outside of phone calls that stop whatever you are doing and put up a dialog in the middle of the screen that you have to act on are stupid.
Why make an exception for regular phone calls? Skype calls can be just as important.

You know that Skype for Apollo will handle Skype calls like normal phone calls, right?

Commodore

Agreed with Van. I hated notifications on my iPhone of two years ago. They got in the way. And sometimes, depending on what I was doing, I didn't want to interact with them. The last thing they need to do is splash the middle of the screen with a forced interaction. They just need to allow a bit of tweaking to the current toast notifications, likely just extended time.

Edit: the above would be for Skype SMS notifications. For Skype calls? Go ahead and treat it like a phone call. Isn't that the type of built in functionality we want for Skype?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You know that Skype for Apollo will handle Skype calls like normal phone calls, right?

If it's integrated, and I CHOOSE to link the two and make a Skype call appear like a regular call, then I am making a conscious decision to accept modal notifications for Skype.

No different than the built in messaging integration. I dont have to have my IM messages show up in the same thread as texts unless I choose to do so.

I dont see how that is the same as opening up modal notifications for all third party apps. Besides, if toast notifications can be made to act modal in the sense that they persist for however long is necessary, then the way it's handled in windows phone would make it superior as far as the way it's executed (small sliver at the top of the screen, doesn't pause whatever you are doing, doesn't cover up the screen).

PSGames

For me a Skype call is just like a regular phone call and I hope Microsoft treats it as such. Same with Messaging I want that integrated with my Text messages.

kazinova

If it's integrated, and I CHOOSE to link the two and make a Skype call appear like a regular call, then I am making a conscious decision to accept modal notifications for Skype.

I love that we get angry over imaginary features since no one at MS will tell us anything real to get pissy over. ;P

Commodore

I love that we get angry over imaginary features since no one at MS will tell us anything real to get pissy over. ;P

I believe they've said they are keeping things closer to the chest this time versus the early reveal of mango and long ramp up. Guessing we get some info in May.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
MS is good for now. Nobody else outside of the HTC One has released anything lately. Plus Google and Apple have yet to really show anything new OS wise.

I could see them letting some info out in May around the Galaxy 3 announcement since that's being billed as this years Android Jesus Phone. Really though they can probably lay low until Apple decides it's time to speak again.

MS is good for now. Nobody else outside of the HTC One has released anything lately. Plus Google and Apple have yet to really show anything new OS wise.

I could see them letting some info out in May around the Galaxy 3 announcement since that's being billed as this years Android Jesus Phone. Really though they can probably lay low until Apple decides it's time to speak again.

Developers need to know at some point.

dream

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like these lulls are the best time for Microsoft to get their message out. Waiting to counter the next iPhone announcement with "hey, we have something similar!" just seems like a great way to get drowned out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Developers need to know at some point.

Devs will get access to some new enhanced Apis, some new guidelines for native code, and a sdk beta a few months before launch which which we think is October?

Yeah I'm not expecting a launch till Oct./Nov. right before the Holiday season. Sure devs need to know, but if they don't show anything till July that still gives then 2-4 months until release.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Also if you sign-in to Skydrive on your PC you should get prompted to get the full 25GB for free. This is only favailable or a limited time though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Soooo how do I opt in for that? I've had Skydrive for well over a year now and it says I'm at 7GB.

DJTZn.png

For my one account when i signed in it came up as a prompt on my other account when I went to hotmail then skydrive there was a banner above my folder list to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom