• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm pretty sure that Annohana is the name of the guy who directed Evangelic Layer and did the voice of the main guy in Kaze no Stigma.

Geneijin

So much Ano Hana hate in this thread. Just because the "best girl" lost to the boob alien is no reason to go denigrating the rest of the show!

(Unless I'm thinking of the wrong anime. If it's the one about a girl who goes to work at an onsen, I haven't seen that one.)
15nmwawjpg.gif

Andrew J.

Oh right, I'm mixing up shows again. Ano Hana is...hmmm...it's that one with the eyepatch girl and the Final Destination deaths, right?

This dumb gag has gotten me more attention than every attempt at serious discussion I have ever made.

Mature

Oh right, I'm mixing up shows again. Ano Hana is...hmmm...it's that one with the eyepatch girl and the Final Destination deaths, right?

This dumb gag has gotten me more attention than every attempt at serious discussion I have ever made.
If anything can be said about AnimeGAF, it's that we have several people ready to jump down someones throat at any given time should someone make a mistake.

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 17

Conclusion to the best arc of the series so far. Show did a good job of developing the relationships between the crew members of that unit and Sousuke in a relatively short amount of time. Batist was awesome.

Liked the closing shot with Sousuke and Chidori sitting on the floor next to each other.

Show could use a little down time after this.

Ive no idea what happened there its just really plain. It felt so run of the mill as far as shows of that type go. Even the artwork.
Maybe I just burnt out on that kind of show.

I guess I am not turned off by a series due to being plain. So long as the voice actors bring the characters to life, I could watch most series to the end.

I would at least like to watch some of the series, but importing all the Blu-rays would set me back $400+ and I would not understand anything without subtitles. I guess my menial CD purchase will have to do to show my support to the series, along with numerous other series that have not been licensed...like the entirety of Minami-ke.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I had to stop for homework, but like, I thought the psychic powers were kinda crazy, and then ALIEN INVASION.

And that's just the halfway point.

You're watching it dubbed, right? It's not nearly as good without Harry Buttson.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
chuunibyo ren 1

They literally took the crazy, amplified it, and fucking ran with it. Lulz. This shit is terrible.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - 01

8GuaudU.png
eK6y6eV.png

OTP IS BACK BABY!

Yesssssssssssss! Yessss! Yes! So damn happy this show is back and that they didn't miss a beat to throw some NibuxDeko goodness our way. Based KyoAni delivering the purity!!

zeroshiki

I saw the Anohana movie and thought it worked better because they were able to throw out alot of the fluff and squeeze out, through editing, a semblance of character development for some of the characters. It was pure melodrama though.

cajunator

Banned
I guess I am not turned off by a series due to being plain. So long as the voice actors bring the characters to life, I could watch most series to the end.

I would at least like to watch some of the series, but importing all the Blu-rays would set me back $400+ and I would not understand anything without subtitles. I guess my menial CD purchase will have to do to show my support to the series, along with numerous other series that have not been licensed...like the entirety of Minami-ke.

I dunno really. I watched a few episodes of it because, you know, catgirl. but it didnt grab me at all.

wonzo

Banned
boob alien was the best girl
that wasnt lemon
tho

if kanna was male she'd have the biggest collection of fedoras in the universe

I dunno really. I watched a few episodes of it because, you know, catgirl. but it didnt grab me at all.

Everyone has his or her individual viewing habits. I wish I had the income to import more anime along with the knowledge to watch those imported series without subtitles. I have at least tried to start learning the basics of the Japanese language, but I know that this will probably end up being a multi-year journey.

cajunator

Banned
Venus Versus Virus
Like de Milo, Without Some Arms

This just barely predates when I got into anime (the summer of 2007), but I had acquired the theme and character songs long before I watched the actual show. Felt like doing that, and while the show certainly has some interesting ideas going for it, the best part was the one tried and true staple of my anime viewing experience. The Sumire/Lucia yuri tension was pretty high, very high indeed, and there was plenty to support it, but the show surrounding them wasn't quite polished.

Girls fighting monsters has been a staple of anime for a long time, and starting with a monster of the week type setup before transitioning to a more linear plot is also expected, I don't have a problem with these. There's just a lot of unanswered questions. Why did
Lilith's spirit
make Sumire go berserk? Was it because it was incomplete? What happened in that ending? What's with the ghosts? Then there's the fact that it kept flashing back to that one moment with Lucif, even though the truth of the event was something else entirely. And the elemental aspect of the viruses never felt like it played into things all that much.

The precedent for Yoshiki being a doll was established with the twins, and he always did feel kind of fishy. Lucia's the only one meant for Sumire, anyway. I do like the visual aspects of the show - the school uniform, with its gloves and golden neck choker stand out - but it's clear the OP and ED aren't super fluid. The ED being a zoom out on a single still, and the OP having a lot of money saving stills as well.

Musically, the OP's catchy, and I've always liked Yousei Teikoku's work. They did a fine job on the ED. Character songs are nice, too. "inner world" is a good listen, and "Yami no Kagi Hikari no Tobira" is a good duet between two VAs who can sing pretty well.

The action was serviceable, and the show did make an effort to show both Sumire's normal high school student side and her life as a monster fighter, never playing one as too important compared to the other. The subplot with Riku attempting to ask her out was a nice bit of puppy love, but after all that buildup, the birthday party never came to pass.

Final Thoughts: The yuri goggle inducing moments were by far the best part. It was also nice seeing an early role for Minori Chihara, and one of Ayahi Takagaki's first major parts before she reached the status she has today. By the very nature of adaptation, some things are left unresolved, and while I don't dislike the show (it was entertaining to watch, for the general atmosphere, the yuri), it needs to be tightened up in a few places, because there are some good ideas here.

The funny thing is I own this series (bought it on a whim a long time ago) but I havent actually watched it lol. I liked the artwork and the story though.
Glad someone else acknowledges its existence.

Aaaagh, my heart.

:D
youre welcome!

Strawberry milk is the drink of champions.

I recall vivdly saving up my extra quarters so I could buy the strawberry milk-shake drink in the school cafeteria. It was so fucking good. I eventually got sick of drinking pure sugar though.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - 01

Yesssssssssssss! Yessss! Yes! So damn happy this show is back and that they didn't miss a beat to throw some NibuxDeko goodness our way. Based KyoAni delivering the purity!!

Dekomori with her hair down is a vast improvement. nibutani is just ruined :(

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 17

Conclusion to the best arc of the series so far. Show did a good job of developing the relationships between the crew members of that unit and Sousuke in a relatively short amount of time. Batist was awesome.

Liked the closing shot with Sousuke and Chidori sitting on the floor next to each other.

Show could use a little down time after this.

I like to think the post-traumatic down-time moments Sousuke and Chidori have are the most endearing aspect of their relationship.

And that's just the halfway point.

You're watching it dubbed, right? It's not nearly as good without Harry Buttson.

No, I couldn't find it dubbed. *pouts*. I did just see a movie star kick like, three dudes' asses, and giant psychic tidal waves.

This movie simultaneously reminds me of Arjuna and proves to be infinitely more entertaining. I watch so much bad stuff I am entertained by this. Enron was right, I do like bad things. :(

stn

Need anime recommendations, I barely watch them at all. I've only seen Golgo 13, Akira, and some of Ghost in the Shell. What I'd like:

-Modern setting
-Mature with little to no comedy
-Action
-As little sci-fi as possible

Basically, is there anything out there like Golgo 13? I tried Ghost in the Shell and, while I think its cool, sometimes it gets too obscure for my taste.

Here's an example of Golgo 13: LINK.

Thanks very much!

Kansoku

And you don't see how much of a superficial explanation that is? There's not enough of any reason given by the show to believe why they grew apart beyond one singular event to explain everyone's problems. You don't see the issue with that?

I wrote an answer to everything, but accidentally lost it, so I'll just respond this.
Jinta felt guilt for her death, so he could not face his friends again. Anaru liked Jinta so she still maintained a bit of their friendship. Yukiteru felt the most for her death, and became crazy obsessed with her. There was no reason for him to keep around them anymore. Tsuruko liked Yukiteru so she still maintained a bit of their friendship. Poppo is there because the author wanted him there for some reason I cannot understand.

Now for the story it tries to tell, I don't think more development, like showing why Anaru liked Jinta, would do anything at all. This is not some sort of Aku no Hana that goes deep within one's mind. This is a show about some friends that had issues with a common source and they get together and solve this issues, and cry a lot. A LOT. The important thing is trying to show is friends fixing theirs issues. If Anaru liked Jintan because she finds him sexy, or she thinks he's kind, or he's athletic, in the end, the out come is the same: She likes him, he doesn't like her. It is not about the individual characters, but what they do as a whole.

Need anime recommendations, I barely watch them at all. I've only seen Golgo 13, Akira, and some of Ghost in the Shell. What I'd like:

-Modern setting
-Action

Basically, is there anything out there like Golgo 13? I tried Ghost in the Shell and, while I think its cool, sometimes it gets too obscure for my taste.

Thanks very much!
Black Lagoon.

-Modern setting
-Action

Thanks very much!

- Black Lagoon
- Fate/Zero
- Psycho-Pass [though a futuristic dystopian setting]
- Jormungand [only season 1, season 2 was pretty meh]
- If it doesn't HAVE to be modern, watch Attack on Titan. It's a favorite among people who aren't anime regulars from last year.
- Death Note [covers most of those you asked, though it's more psychological than action]
- Monster
- Baccano! [relatively modern]
- Kara no Kyoukai movie series [except the one focusing on the little sister. fuck that one].

If it's something specifically like Golgo 13 you want, I suggest going here clicking on the top part that says "Recommendations and reading the descriptions of each anime to see what interests you.

Hmm, thanks. I'll think about whether to watch them before or after we get Stardust Crusaders in spring.

It looks awesome for sure!

Wait for David Production's Stardust Crusaders in the spring, then watch the OVAs. It's better to have the whole picture before seeing it super well animated.

Oh shit, there are going to show it in my city. Time to see if I can preorder a ticket already.

I was planning on going to the one in SF, but it was at night and I never seen the actual show so I didn't bother getting tickets.

-----------------------------------------------------

Onee-chan ga Kita! 01

iUvBEK0l.jpg

I seen worse 3 minutes anime. Though I guess how crazy the onee-chan actually is keeps me want to watch another episode at least.

Gundam build fighters - 13

Loool

Gundam%20Build%20Fighters%20-%2013.jpg

I lost it at this moment

The random battle challenge ...i wasn't ready lol

It's gonna be so much intresting later ....

Lol @ the cliffanger .. I hope that aila won't be much affected by this reveal.

Ps : RAL is ...awesome..

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
- Black Lagoon
- Fate/Zero
- Psycho-Pass [though a futuristic dystopian setting]
- Jormungand [only season 1, season 2 was pretty meh]
- If it doesn't HAVE to be modern, watch Attack on Titan. It's a favorite among people who aren't anime regulars from last year.
- Death Note [covers most of those you asked, though it's more psychological than action]
- Monster
- Baccano! [relatively modern]
- Kara no Kyoukai movie series [except the one focusing on the little sister. fuck that one].

If it's something specifically like Golgo 13 you want, I suggest going here clicking on the top part that says "Recommendations and reading the descriptions of each anime to see what interests you.

Death Note came to my mind as well.

Geneijin

I wrote an answer to everything, but accidentally lost it, so I'll just respond this.
Jinta felt guilt for her death, so he could not face his friends again. Anaru liked Jinta so she still maintained a bit of their friendship. Yukiteru felt the most for her death, and became crazy obsessed with her. There was no reason for him to keep around them anymore. Tsuruko liked Yukiteru so she still maintained a bit of their friendship. Poppo is there because the author wanted him there for some reason I cannot understand.
Again, this is a superficial explanation of it. If their relationships are this bare, why should the audience be invested in anything that transpires in them if it's only a matter of following who loves who.

Now for the story it tries to tell, I don't think more development, like showing why Anaru liked Jinta, would do anything at all.
Because there would be no reason for Anaru to continue liking Jinta because time doesn't work like that unless told otherwise, which they haven't informed us of.

This is not some sort of Aku no Hana that goes deep within one's mind. This is a show about some friends that had issues with a common source and they get together and solve this issues, and cry a lot. A LOT.
But the problem was the crying was the answer to everything. How is that a suitable explanation?

The important thing is trying to show is friends fixing theirs issues. If Anaru liked Jintan because she finds him sexy, or she thinks he's kind, or he's athletic, in the end, the out come is the same: She likes him, he doesn't like her. It is not about the individual characters, but what they do as a whole.
But why does she continue loving Jinta? You haven't answered that at all. You don't see the significance of this? Why does her love stand the testament of time? If there's no decent reason for this, love has no meaning in this relationship or any loving relationship to exist. Why should I care that duckroll loves Bones?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

-Modern setting
-Action

Thanks very much!

I don't think I have watched stuff that fits every criteria but if you're not deadset on those requirements and have some wiggle room:

Broken Blade (Kinda scifi-ish but not really. In a fictional universe. 6 episodes, each part is roughly 1 hour in length)
Gankutsuou (Kinda futuristic, but largely just setting. Retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo. 24 episodes.)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Very scifi and some humor, but a must watch anyways. 26 episodes + movies)
Night Raid 1931 (Not 'modern' but basically film noir meets X-Men meets James Bond in the pre-WWII period in China. Kinda dry and can plod but decent. 13 episodes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom