• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansoku

Actually there was.
It was that they didn't develop because the tragedy affected them all, freezing them in the past so they could never grow up.

It was too convenient of an explanation to justify the lack of development.

What?

So the fact that they've learned how her death gave a scar in everyone (because they've grew apart the moment she died) and working through these scars to get their friendship back together means that was not a development at all, and they've been stuck in the past of the whole duration of the anime?

Phi Brain Season 3 Episode 14 - If it were the Us of Them
BdfqqgACEAAMNxT.png

I thought we would at least get a new op. But if were truly keeping it then its alright, same for the ending, I love the characters singing so much and have I said Nonoha's part is like one of the best parts to the song, great voice her VA has, and Kaito too.

But best puzzle of the season so far and best characters working together, Freecell and Rook ftw. I also liked how they were doing the visuals of the puzzle overlay of it and the music that starting exciting then went creepy and then back to the usual. Really exciting it was.

But that ending and the ring on Jin that was creepy, perhaps even more shocking than just the phone call received

Geneijin

I'd argue this point, but it's been a while and frankly my memories of AnoHana are a little too hazy for me to recall much about the specifics of Anaru and Tsuruko's relationship.
Because there isn't much to remember of their relationship in all honesty.
There's really no reason for Tsuruko to be jealous of Anaru. And little reason for us, the audience, to understand Tsuruko's jealousy toward Anaru when our interactions between those two centered in a vacuum: Menma's death.

What?

So the fact that they've learned how her death gave a scar in everyone (because they've grew apart the moment she died) and working through these scars to get their friendship back together means that was not a development at all, and they've been stuck in the past of the whole duration of the anime?
Yes. As I said before,
both the show and the characters were stuck in a vacuum. If you don't show the audience how the characters developed or even a lack of development, what meaning does the realization even hold?

It's why a lot of it was melodrama. A good example of this was
Poppo's confession just for extra melodramatic effect that I haven't even brought up yet.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 01-26

Did they really need to push the suspension of disbelief so far?

I don't know why they kept manufacturing more and more extreme situations for the Yamato to get into. Did coincidence after coincidence have to line up so well to get them out of almost every situation?
On one occasion they are what seems like seconds away from being destroyed, but then the enemy commander gets summoned away and has to take all his ships too. On another, They happen to walk into a training exercise, put on by the enemy army were there are 10,000 ships and the enemy decides to be so dumb (despite being capable enough to conquer the galaxy) that they get away.
Was it really necessary to make things that reliant on blind chance?

On Characters. First, Amnesia, really? Of all the trite, can't you think of anything better tropes, they went with the easiest, dumbest and least satisfying. The last time I saw a
"person who looks exactly like a different unrelated person, who happens to be some sort of royalty"
, was in Turn A Gundam and it didn't work well there either. It just makes you roll your eyes. We'd go to the main character, but first let's look at his brother. How the hell is this guy so important to the plot?
He "dies" in like the first episode, his ship gets shot down. But compared to all the other ships that get shot down in the show, which explode and seemingly kill everyone on board, we find out his ship crashed in the EXACT location the Yamato needed to resupply, AND they managed to send off an SOS beacon. Then we find that not only did he survive that, he just happened to be taken in by some Garmillians who just happened to want a sample of an alive human. Then it JUST happens that the ship he is on happens to crash. It just happens that it manages to crash at the final destination for the Yamato. Then it JUST happens that he doesn't die during that crash either and manages to live for a bit, before it JUST happens that he is made (via BS magic tech) into the machine that will restore earth.
Yea, right.

On to the MC, he is too important too, but in different ways. He is an ace pilot, a tactician and seems to be a god at small arms fire. He can do whatever he likes and everyone seems too willing to bend over backwards to suit him. The way Yamamoto pines over him
(and how butthurt she acts when she loses)
is like this is a high school anime, instead of adults on a warship. I don't see why the Universe must bend over backwards to suit him in the final episode either, which felt like the show shat in my mouth (explained more here).

Fanservice wasn't horrific, but it did occasionally become unnecessarily voyeuristic at times. The swimsuit part is a good example as it was completely unnecessary and seemed like a convenient excuse.

Plot was simple at first but then became more and more complicated to the point where major enemy motivations make no sense to me
(Albert Desler)
and they felt the need to introduce what can only be called magic
(Witches/Telepathy)
into the show. The entire technobable at the end with the Cosmo Reverser and memories was stupid too.

9.5/10

Jarmel

Banned
Yes. As I said before,
both the show and the characters were stuck in a vacuum. If you don't show the audience how the characters developed or even a lack of development, what meaning does the realization even hold?

Poppo's confession just for extra melodramatic effect that I haven't even brought up yet.

I haven't seen this show since it aired but I don't think this particular criticism is true. The characters did develop in the sense that they did redevelop their friendship and that they also realized to an extent how stunted they were by Menma's death.

There's definitely a lot of melodrama but I do think some of the underlying stuff was good. Just the execution was way too overblown at times.

Geneijin

I haven't seen this show since it aired but I don't think this particular criticism is true. The characters did develop in the sense that they did redevelop their friendship and that they also realized to an extent how stunted they were by Menma's death.

There's definitely a lot of melodrama but I do think some of the underlying stuff was good. Just the execution was way too overblown at times.
What redevelopment beyond the need to stick together for the propensity of the story?

Edit: The time they could have dedicated for development the characters or any renewed sense of friendship was wasted on melodrama and dropped subplots that cause the story to meandered.

Onee-chan ga Kita Episode 1

As long as it doesn't get weird, this seems like it could be enoyable. Could've been a longer format too, don't know why like 3 minutes.

Guys. Let's say, hypothetically, if I wanted to watch some Fist of the North Star where do I start? The old original or is there some better point to start from? Like a newer movie or something.

Also how are the JoJo Stardust Crusader OVAs?

Jarmel

Banned
I'm rereading the AnoHana wiki stuff and good god, did everybody in the group other than Poppo really need to be in some love triangle/rectangle/pentagon nonsense?

What redevelopment beyond the need to stick together for the propensity of the story?

Edit: The time they could have dedicated for development the characters or any renewed sense of friendship was wasted on melodrama and dropped subplots that cause the story to meandered.

I guess you could say that the group's initial friendship was rather fleeting and that this later one over Menma being a ghost, will be one too. Something like them floating in and out of each other's lives. Sorta like finding a long lost friend on Facebook and hanging out with them for awhile before moving on. I also think part of the show was them coming to terms with why they all were so fucked up, and having another character articulating it to them such as,"You used to be so commanding, what the hell happened to you?", is a way of doing it.

Okada definitely should have toned down the melodrama though.

jbug617

Banned
Has anybody licensed the Ano Hana movie yet? I know NISA did the show but I think Aniplex might want to keep the movie.

Kansoku

Because there isn't much to remember of their relationship in all honesty.
There's really no reason for Tsuruko to be jealous of Anaru. And little reason for us, the audience, to understand Tsuruko's jealousy toward Anaru when our interactions between those two centered in a vacuum: Menma's death.

Tsuruko liked Yukiteru. Tsuruko thought that Yukiteru liked Anaru (aftre Menma of course). Tsuruko get's jealous of Anaru. Basically inferiority complex.

Yes. As I said before,

Don't you think that Yukiteru finally coping up with her death and stop his sick obsession with Menma is not a good enough development? Maybe that is still in the "vacuum". Then maybe Anaru not trying to be someone she's not and stop trying to please her friends, while also realizing Jinta would not love her just because Menma died and finally let her love go is not enough. Maybe Tsuruko finally stop thinking Yukiteru is untouchable after seeing him use Menma's dress and seeing he grow past it and not be a cold person anymore is not good. Yeah, maybe just because a friend died and everyone trying to fix all the issues and scars it left behind is being stuck in a vacuum. I don't really see what do you want in character development in a show about a group of friends getting back together after one of their group died. Menma was the reason they grew apart, so it's obvious she's going to be the topic of discussion. If her death didn't cause to much damage they wouldn't get apart and there wouldn't be anything to discuss.

I'll give you that.

Guys. Let's say, hypothetically, if I wanted to watch some Fist of the North Star where do I start? The old original or is there some better point to start from? Like a newer movie or something.

Fights be cut out, and it some ways, it's rearranged to fit the narrative of the OVAs themselves, but they're still worth watching at the very least. Some cool shit happens.

Geneijin

I guess you could say that the group's initial friendship was rather fleeting and that this later one over Menma being a ghost, will be one too. Something like them floating in and out of each other's lives. Sorta like finding a long lost friend on Facebook and hanging out with them for awhile before moving on. I also think part of the show was them coming to terms with why they all were so fucked up, and having another character articulating it to them such as,"You used to be so commanding, what the hell happened to you?", is a way of doing it.

Okada definitely should have toned down the melodrama though.
But that should have been the main point of the show though. Why were they all so fucked up from this one event? It was why Ano Hana's use of flashbacks (one main one really) to explain these things were so detrimental for any further development to any of the characters in understanding why they became that way.

cajunator

Banned
Mikakunin OP

Arrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Hnnnggggggggggggggggggg!

I like the sound of this.

You need Steins Gate, Uchouten Kazoku, Attack on Titan and HunterxHunter.

Well he needs the first two anyway.

Hmm, just for 'fun' I thought I'd check out what the highest ranked anime on both ANN and MAL look like. The results are as you'd imagine, for the most part.

Steins Gate on top pleases me greatly. I dont know if it quite deserves being first but its way up there.

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 16

Apparently Sousuke hasn't changed much at all over the years since he was an eight-year old guerilla. Guy from his past calculated his exact mentality and calculated his every move. I forget a lot of the background details on Sousuke, so I don't remember anything about that. He'd have had to have been conscripted as a child soldier. Wonder if there'll ever be details on that. Next episode is the last of the three-parter, so maybe.

Hey, Melissa and Chidori are becoming friends. That's cool.

They're alright, but they take out a ton of major fights from the manga. They're worth watching, IMHO, if only because pretty much every Jojo fan has seen them.

Fights be cut out, and it some ways, it's rearranged to fit the narrative of the OVAs themselves, but they're still worth watching at the very least. Some cool shit happens.

Hmm, thanks. I'll think about whether to watch them before or after we get Stardust Crusaders in spring.

It looks awesome for sure!

cnet128

Banned
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei 1

On the first day, God created light and separated it from the darkness.
On the second day, God divided the heavens from the earth.
On the third day, God divided the sea from the land.
On the fourth day, God filled the heavens with sun, moon and stars.
On the fifth day, God created the fish that swim in the sea and the birds that fly in the sky.
On the sixth day, God created all the beasts of the land, and he created man in his own image.
On the seventh day, God rested from all the work he had been doing.
Around lunchtime on the seventh day, while God was taking a nap, there came a voice in the darkness.
"Let there be happiness", it said. And so there was happiness.
God opened his eyes, and he spake to the voice, saying "Dogakobo, the fuck are you doing here?"
But then he looked upon what Dogakobo had created, and he saw that it was good.
And he said "Let us never speak of this again."

cajunator

Banned
Space Dandy 01

I like the music. I like the character designs. I dont like the focus on boobies and some of the forced stuff. The hearts on the pants probably gives Zachy a heart attack.
Overall a solid B+ episode.

fertygo

Anohana + subtlety could be hella amazing, too bad Okada didn't understand that word.

Just watch the 90's OVA, sakuga overload

Chuu2-2-1

This show is better when it isn't serious. I do wish they were actually "living together" though, it's not something that most anime try to tackle unfortunately.

2uunibyou 1

What a boring start to a new season. Basically the status quo has been kept with the occasional "oh btw we're dating" mentioned. And the gags are getting old.

Like always the animation was fantastic. Why does KyoAni insist in these pandering LN shows and not get actually good material? Are the sales that good they would rather sell their souls to the moe devil?

cajunator

Banned
Considering it was Miyukichi, I guess you're an Aruru fan?

Aruruu is a cutie. I got figs of both girls but they are still boxed. I was entirely sold on this show based on one scene I will admit.

Hell yeah she is!

Wat. I... what?

Seriously tough, I'm finding myself at odds with people here way too often. There's a lot of animes that I find enjoyable (like Kyoukai no Kanata), or even really good (Like Ano Hana) that people really dislike, and I really can't see why. This happen so often that I even made this:

MZdp96w.png

I agree with this a lot of times. anti-hype is just as powerful as hype and osme shows ont deserve it at all.

*squint*

Is her left leg suddenly turning into a right leg at the end there?

I think thats based on a series of pictures probably put together poorly.

Wat. I... what?

Seriously tough, I'm finding myself at odds with people here way too often. There's a lot of animes that I find enjoyable (like Kyoukai no Kanata), or even really good (Like Ano Hana) that people really dislike, and I really can't see why. This happen so often that I even made this:

MZdp96w.png

Ano Hana is decently liked here. KnK was shit, plain and simple. The animation was its redeeming quality. But it got a bit better near the end, not enough to save it from its lackluster first half though.

Speaking of weird rankings, I find myself agreeing a lot with MAL's. Mainly cause I'm a huge Gintama fan. And that show is like all over the top 25 haha.

Geneijin

Tsuruko liked Yukiteru. Tsuruko thought that Yukiteru liked Anaru (aftre Menma of course). Tsuruko get's jealous of Anaru. Basically inferiority complex.
And it was a superficial relationship and extra conflict just for more melodrama. Why should the audience care about such a love triangle?

Don't you think that Yukiteru finally coping up with her death and stop his sick obsession with Menma is not a good enough development? Maybe that is still in the "vacuum".
Yukiatsu's confession accomplished nothing besides melodrama as they pushed the love triangle immediately right after that. Notice how the show ignores such an climactic event took place and only addresses its existence/happening with offhand comments. We aren't even told what lead him to resort to such coping methods. Just that it was a result of one tragic event. So what development existed for him to move past anything if we weren't told how he got there to begin with?

Then maybe Anaru not trying to be someone she's not and stop trying to please her friends, while also realizing Jinta would not love her just because Menma died and finally let her love go is not enough.
But who was Anaru? Why does she still love Jinta? After all these years no less, why does she remain loving him? What was it about Jinta she loved?

Maybe Tsuruko finally stop thinking Yukiteru is untouchable after seeing him use Menma's dress and seeing he grow past it and not be a cold person anymore is not good.
What indication did the show give that their relationship changed? Their interactions remained largely the same.

Yeah, maybe just because a friend died and everyone trying to fix all the issues and scars it left behind is being stuck in a vacuum. I don't really see what do you want in character development in a show about a group of friends getting back together after one of their group died. Menma was the reason they grew apart, so it's obvious she's going to be the topic of discussion. If her death didn't cause to much damage they wouldn't get apart and there wouldn't be anything to discuss.
And you don't see how much of a superficial explanation that is? There's not enough of any reason given by the show to believe why they grew apart beyond one singular event to explain everyone's problems. You don't see the issue with that?

cajunator

Banned
Cajun is single-handedly keeping Peptobismal in business, then.

Hmm. But it doesnt affect me like that?

I would like to know how Mayoi Neko Overrun! is considered one of the fifty overrated anime over at ANN. It's even listed as slightly more overrated than Tenchi in Tokyo!

Well this show is honestly pretty boring. Even with my love of catgirls it didnt interest me that much. It was really cute when she meows into a fan though.

You guys are really excited by lesbian French girls

Hell yeah. Who wouldnt be excited about that?

Andrew J.

So much Ano Hana hate in this thread. Just because the "best girl" lost to the boob alien is no reason to go denigrating the rest of the show!

(Unless I'm thinking of the wrong anime. If it's the one about a girl who goes to work at an onsen, I haven't seen that one.)

cajunator

Banned
So much Ano Hana hate in this thread. Just because the "best girl" lost to the boob alien is no reason to go denigrating the rest of the show!

(Unless I'm thinking of the wrong anime. If it's the one about a girl who goes to work at an onsen, I haven't seen that one.)

Thats Hanasaku Iroha or HanaIro.
A good show in its own right. And it has Minko.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

wat

wonzo

Banned

deadmanny.png

cnet128

Banned

I believe the two shows you are talking about are NatsuMachi (which is great) and Hanasaku Iroha (which I also haven't seen). Neither of them are AnoHana.

Aikatsu! 28

vmOZl7l.jpg

Best Friends Forever

Semi-finals and Finals. Man, Ran really does lose too often. It actually bothers me. Other than that. The main trio are like... the best of fucking friends. I mean shit, this might be fitting for them.

Mizuki reveals her ultimate plan of cultivating idols to have her special partner, and that's why she messes with Ichigo. She's being seeeelfish!

IIRC, if I remember correctly, I think Syrinx will like this

Whack a Mole with Friends. That's how fucking friendly they are.

You've got like multiple shows confused. Ano Natsu is boob alien. Ano Hana is dead girl melodrama. I think onsen girl is HanaIro?

Well this show is honestly pretty boring. Even with my love of catgirls it didnt interest me that much. It was really cute when she meows into a fan though.

I have not watched Mayoi Neko Overrun!, but I think I would probably enjoy the series for at least the voice actors. I did import the OP/ED Theme after all.

Was the anime just adapted terribly compared to the original LN material?

sasuke_91

You're talking about Ano Natsu^^

I really, really like Ano Hana, although I also understand the criticism. But why do people have to be so harsh? :(

cajunator

Banned
I have not watched Mayoi Neko Overrun!, but I think I would probably enjoy the series for at least the voice actors. I did import the OP/ED Theme after all.

Was the anime just adapted terribly compared to the original LN material?

Ive no idea what happened there its just really plain. It felt so run of the mill as far as shows of that type go. Even the artwork.
Maybe I just burnt out on that kind of show.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 16

Apparently Sousuke hasn't changed much at all over the years since he was an eight-year old guerilla. Guy from his past calculated his exact mentality and calculated his every move. I forget a lot of the background details on Sousuke, so I don't remember anything about that. He'd have had to have been conscripted as a child soldier. Wonder if there'll ever be details on that. Next episode is the last of the three-parter, so maybe.

Hey, Melissa and Chidori are becoming friends. That's cool.

The show doesn't really go into it, though it becomes a bit more important in FMP TSR. They talk about it in Sigma, but I don't know how big of a spoiler it is, since you could probably figure it out yourself. All the same, spoilers for TSR in here:
Sousuke was in a plane crash that orphaned him. Kalinin rescued him from said crash. Kalinin was going to adopt him, but the KGB screwed him over. They made Sousuke a child assassin, sent him to off some Islamic rebels in Afghanistan. Sousuke got caught, but the rebel leader adopted him. Kalinin's wife dies because Russia sucks and he defects. He meets up with Sousuke during the mission when Gauron slaughters all of Sousuke's group. I don't remember if Sousuke and Kalinin join Mythril together or not, but I think not. I'm pretty sure Sousuke bounces around battlefields for awhile more and then joins. Kalinin is now Sousuke's legal guardian and his commanding officer.

And Melissa Mao is always cool.

Lotus UFOs? Lotus UFOs.

I had to stop for homework, but like, I thought the psychic powers were kinda crazy, and then ALIEN INVASION.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom