• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Need anime recommendations, I barely watch them at all. I've only seen Golgo 13, Akira, and some of Ghost in the Shell. What I'd like:

-Modern setting
-Mature with little to no comedy
-Action
-As little sci-fi as possible

Basically, is there anything out there like Golgo 13? I tried Ghost in the Shell and, while I think its cool, sometimes it gets too obscure for my taste.

Here's an example of Golgo 13: LINK.

Thanks very much!

You might try Crying Freeman, Riding Bean, Jin-Roh (actually late 60s but it doesn't really matter), or The Skull Man (although it gets a little sci-fi later.)

There's also Golgo 13: Queen Bee and Golgo 13 TV if you just want more Duke.

Jarmel

Banned
Hamatora-1

This is a very shitty version of Darker than Black. The concept is cool, just like in DtB, but the execution is piss poor.

Darker than black had a season 2?
uLfnZc7.jpg

Need anime recommendations, I barely watch them at all. I've only seen Golgo 13, Akira, and some of Ghost in the Shell. What I'd like:

-Modern setting
-Mature with little to no comedy
-Action
-As little sci-fi as possible

Basically, is there anything out there like Golgo 13? I tried Ghost in the Shell and, while I think its cool, sometimes it gets too obscure for my taste.

Here's an example of Golgo 13: LINK.

Thanks very much!

You're really limiting yourself with the modern setting and as little scifi as possible (especially with Akira on your list) but ...

Monster
Hellsing Ultimate
Witch Hunter Robin
Fate/Zero
Kara no Kyoukai
Baccano

Geneijin

I like the OPs for Youkai Watch and especially Engaged to the Unidentified; they both have a good sense of playful energy to them.

So far this has been a pretty good season for OPs/EDs, between the above, Space Dandy, Noragami, Tonari no Seki-kun, and Wooser.
I wish the entire Op to Engaged to the Unidentified was styled like the first 10 seconds all the way through although that would probably be way too overwhelming, repetitive, and nauseous.

Chuu2Chuu2 01

Meh. The action was pretty but I was completely disinterested in it by the time it happened.

The OP didn't induce seizures, the plot was who cares at this point.

At least Kyoukai no Kanata had some sort of story for me to try and understand.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
2Chuu2Furious ep1

Is a Nibutani still a Nibutani without a giant pink hairclip?

not enough evidence to decide one way or the other D:

I can manage a few more eps of this i think

Saint Seiya Omega 85
tumblr_mz41grbSnx1smujt2o1_500.png

I wish Europa was the final boss, how he had everyone in the palm of his hands was legendary, and then just the sake of the entire antagonist structure being thrown in shambles with so many characters here just wanting to do things contrary to that which Pallas wanted.

In any event one of the best episodes all around
the twin dimension attack was legendary and really showed that the gemini twins are the best femchars since way back in yr 1 Omega. (though why so much yuri arts now for seiya omega, I cant browse safely anymore.

Aikatsu! 29

HEY! You guys get to be senseis for a day!

In a nutshell.

MEANWHILE with the lesser 3 stooges...

I think I actually understand why Sakura, Otome, and Yurika aren't as prominent. Well... more Otome and Yurika. But they have a gimmick that would basically wear down over time the more they use it. Otome got the better end of the stick in terms of screen time but still.

Basically Yurika's vampirism, Otome's love for everything, and Sakura Spotlight time (this one was only used once. I want to see more dammit!)

sonicmj1

I'm starting to feel like I should speed up my timetable for Yamato so I can participate in some of this ending discussion.

AnimeGAF: Where no matter what you may like, people will tell you how wrong you are for liking it.

I do think it'd be nice if we were less hard on people for liking certain shows, but I guess if we didn't do that, we wouldn't belong on NeoGAF.

Chuunibyou 2 - Ep 1

I liked the first season, and this one's off to a good start. Some great animation as expected especially during the "action" sequence.

zeroshiki

I don't think we're especially hard on people who like stuff we don't like. We're especially hard on the shows, though. If someone chooses to be offended by that, I'm not sure there's anything we can do.

I mean, the top 2 posters in the thread like everything. And the 3rd is Corvo.

Witch Craft Works 01

This was actually pretty good. Good enough to make me forget about Nobunagun and Sonico....and that other one that might as well be Nobunagun. LOL at the end of the episode. I'm on board.

CorvoSol

I don't think we're especially hard on people who like stuff we don't like. We're especially hard on the shows, though. If someone chooses to be offended by that, I'm not sure there's anything we can do.

It's not my fault God made me with bad taste.

As long as it's shows and not the people watching them, I can agree with it.

AnimeGAF: Where a collection of people with bad taste get angry when the shows they like are viewed through a critical lens.

I read every harsh criticism on popular shows here with a RedLetterMedia's Mr. Plinkett's voice. Makes it more entertaining.

So why would I be wrong for liking Haibane Renmei or Kinos Journey?

I haven't seen either, on my bucket-kun list, but I'll let you know how much I hate them once I watch them.

CorvoSol

"Buddhaland Utopia" I want to believe that's some wacky version of Zion or New Jerusalem, but man, that is one doofy sounding name.

EDIT: OH MY GOD THE TERRIBLE CGI VICTORIA'S SECRET ANGELS OH MY GOD YES THANK YOU

zeroshiki

As long as it's shows and not the people watching them, I can agree with it.

Other than some playful ribbing, are there any actual instances of a poster getting called out for his taste? (Not including DTL because that's a joke character)

I think AnimeGAF is one of the most respectful threads in the anime community and even in GAF as a whole. We don't really get flame wars here and everyone is free to like what they want. Granted, the criticism towards shows go overboard sometimes but thats the hyperbolic nature of the internet.

CorvoSol

Other than some playful ribbing, are there any actual instances of a poster getting called out for his taste? (Not including DTL because that's a joke character)

I think AnimeGAF is one of the most respectful threads in the anime community and even in GAF as a whole. We don't really get flame wars here and everyone is free to like what they want. Granted, the criticism towards shows go overboard sometimes but thats the hyperbolic nature of the internet.

Well I, for one, have never once been hyperbolic in my criticism of the shit-stained filth which my poor eyes have been made to suffer through.

Not even a single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom