• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

I am the weirdest because I started with Anime Planet, then went to MAL and then Hummingbird, but I keep all of them updated. So much effort for redundancy...

Heh. I went from MAL to Hummingbird, but due to MALs support for non anime and MALgraph, I continue to occasionally update my MAL account. Wish there was a way to automate syncing.

I think I mostly like Hummingbird because of the pretty nice android app.

I also have a anilist account but its not been updated for ages. And anilist I prefer the look of it to either other the others, but for some reason I don't use it.

Branduil

Girls und Panzer 1

ih46mW03x4cfe.jpg
ibarL0CDj1tI7V.jpg

That horrific ground texture. How do you end up with temporal aliasing in an offline render?

I guess you have to admire how seriously they take an utterly absurd premise. In any other world, the idea that tanking skills are the measure of femininity would be ridiculed, but they sell it well here. Also, triple credit? Sign me up.

I feel that Space Dandy won't be the savior of the anime in the sense that it'll be this amazing tv series with amazing everything, but as an entertaining tv show with great animation to bring people into anime.

Plus Dandy is pretty charming in the english version. Space Johnny Bravo.

Narag

I feel that Space Dandy won't be the savior of the anime in the sense that it'll be this amazing tv series with amazing everything, but as an entertaining tv show with great animation to bring people into anime.

It'll be like KLK where people expected far too much from it and walk away disappointed due to the director.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Snail is indeed bestest, or at least close to it.

I feel horrible again
Hey, she's almost like Taiga!

Your in for some good times ahead in monogatari.
At least the snake is "over".

Not necessarly !
The original Saki season went fruther than the manga at the time because the team was actually working with the author .. and they hit the final of the regional tournament battle at the same time ( roughly ) with the same plot.

I was hoping for the same here.
But it also adapted most of the manga in S1, didn't they? I dunno, I expect glacial pacing from this season as well anyway. lol

Kazzy

Girls und Panzer 1

I guess you have to admire how seriously they take an utterly absurd premise. In any other world, the idea that tanking skills are the measure of femininity would be ridiculed, but they sell it well here. Also, triple credit? Sign me up.

It's really part of its charm, because they could have easily ignored that altogether. But in reality? They lean into the tank aspect so hard, and it's all the better for it!

Anybody else with Crunchyroll on PS4 having issues with your queue leaving the next episode as the latest one instead of having the "COMING SOON" grey banner for the next upcoming episode?

cajunator

Banned
Anybody else with Crunchyroll on PS4 having issues with your queue leaving the next episode as the latest one instead of having the "COMING SOON" grey banner for the next upcoming episode?

Ive been having trouble both on my phone and PC with crunchyroll. Maybe they are having general server issues.

You are
correct
Not even surprised .. would be a classic twist if you are setting up a triangle.

But it also adapted most of the manga in S1, didn't they? I dunno, I expect glacial pacing from this season as well anyway. lol
As i said anime went over and used idea provided by the author himself. nthat's why S1 was able to finish the tournament with the correct move & ending and they even had the group / training trip idea ( from the author too ) .
Except that when the mangaka did those events he made a lot more things ( training inn ) and as such the anime is flashbacking to adapt all those events they didn't know about the first time and to gain more time.

I understand it all , they had to show new things for "later" and to bridge with side-A events ... it just pains me when they have only 13 eps.

Ive been having trouble both on my phone and PC with crunchyroll. Maybe they are having general server issues.

I've been having issues with Crunchyroll a lot lately, but I thought it might just be my internet since I moved recently. But I don't know; maybe they're just having a lot of issues.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As i said anime went over and used idea provided by the author himself. nthat's why S1 was able to finish the tournament with the correct move & ending and they even had the group / training trip idea ( from the author too ) .
Except that when the mangaka did those events he made a lot more things ( training inn ) and as such the anime is flashbacking to adapt all those events they didn't know about the first time and to gain more time.

I understand it all , they had to show new things for "later" and to bridge with side-A events ... it just pains me when they have only 13 eps.

I have to imagine they're doing it to milk it for all it's worth. Side-A sold well, and I figure this will do fine too.

something of note of watching about every show this season.... the lewd level has definitely risen 1 level.

like a whole level.

shit must be bad in japan or something.

Branduil

It would be interesting to look at shows we've hyped up for ourselves in the past, and which ones have met or exceeded expectations, as opposed to those which have disappointed us. Also shows which have come out of nowhere to surprise us.

Met or Exceeded Hype

Hyouka
Wolf Children
From the New World
Kids on the Slope
Hanasaku Iroha
Rozen Maiden 2013
Little Witch Academia
Garden of Words
Bunny Drop
Madoka
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Sword of the Stranger

Mild Disappointments

Attack on Titan
Penguindrum
Durarara

Over the Cliff

Darker than Black 2
Magi
Psycho Pass
Sword Art Online
Blast of Tempest
KyoAni post-Hyouka
Kill la Kill
Ano Hana
Galilei Donna
Blood C - The Last Dark
Umineko

Surprises

Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Humanity Has Declined
Kurenai
Otome Youkai Zakuro
Valvrave the Liberator
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure(second arc)
Fate/Zero
Ano Natsu
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Soredemo
Birdy the Mighty Decode
Wasurenagumo
Colorful
Sankarea(first three episodes)

TBD

Space Dandy
The Wind Rises
Kaguyahime

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 7

Dat Awkward fat crew man. thisisneogaf.gif

Pretty chill episode full of fanservice and
two interesting little twists: no memory for Yuki and Niimi is ominously "Earth's last hope." Hmm.

cajunator

Banned
I think that pantsu gif is everything that I hate about anime culture in one dance cycle.

Everything? Every single thing?

something of note of watching about every show this season.... the lewd level has definitely risen 1 level.

like a whole level.

I love your Aiura avatar so much.

Paranoia Agent 6

OH MY GOD. Oh my God. OH. MY. GOD. OMIGOD. omygodohmygodomigodohmigod.

"DADDY."

Is this....oh yes. THIS episode XD
Sorry corvy I forgot to mention that one.

Gazoinks

Nobunagun 2

So I was wondering with a friend why Gandhi is a hat and then it hit me. Mahatma Gandhi. MaHATma Gandhi. MaHATma!

I can't really follow up that amazing revelation, so I'll just say that this was another fairly enjoyable episode. Art is still weird, protag is still likable, yuri goggles are still built-in. My main issue with this episode, aside from not liking the OP at all, is that I felt Sio's self-doubt was way too short-lived, hopefully it's not gone for good. It's interesting that the "secret" organization is very much not secret though, changes the dynamic a bit.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

like a whole level.

Gotta pander hard and fast to get that fanboy cash.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
EDIT: Also, as of the Golden Laws I really don't know what aspects of these movies people base their religion on. I mean this movie is so weird.

Keep in mind when watching this that this is Ryuko Okawa trying to associate himself with as many great religious and philosophical personalities, inventors, mythological figures, and cultural heritages as he possibly can because he believes that he can impart credence to his own claim to godhood by mere association with these people and ideas. Okawa can't even keep his own theology consistent because it's designed entirely around fluffing and preening his image, and when something happens in real life that results in a contradiction between Okawa the man and Okawa the Buddha, characters in his story simply vanish or come into being.

The best example of this is probably Okawa's wife, who claimed to be the reincarnation of Aphrodite who was in turn the wife of Hermes, one of the Buddha's past reincarnations. She appears in several of the Happy Science films, but Okawa divorced his wife and Aphrodite simply disappeared from the religion. The Mystical Laws introduces a new female spirit, Sakuya Konohana, who may or may not have existed in Okawa's literature along Aphrodite but whose sudden and new prominence indicates that she's taking Aphrodite's place. Followers really don't seem to care because most of them are only concerned with the feel-good motivational message at Happy Science's surface, but it's a wonder that those who expose themselves to the actual theology can actually believe it when it's actively and continually retconned by its own priest-god.

CorvoSol

Is this....oh yes. THIS episode XD
Sorry corvy I forgot to mention that one.

Everything about this episode, man.

Suddenly Sagi made it all up. Or did she? I mean Lil' Slugger should be locked up right now, but he goes and clubs daughter girl. Cop who caught Lil' Slugger had some SERIOUS issues with his daddy fetish. Said cop, if I am not mistaken, had already been to see Maria. Maria was the tutor of Ichi. But what's Ichi's connection to Sagi and the reporter? I think the reporter is a victim just like Ushi was, because Sagi wanted him to be.

The flood. The hallucinations. Most of all, daughter-girl gets clubbed upside the head and SAGI IS THE ONE WHO GOES FLYING BECAUSE OF IT.

The fuck is going on in this town?

It would be interesting to look at shows we've hyped up for ourselves in the past, and which ones have met or exceeded expectations, as opposed to those which have disappointed us. Also shows which have come out of nowhere to surprise us.

I'd put Penguindrum in the met hype category, personally, but that's a whole different discussion.

Tsuritama would definitely be a show which exceeded the hype. Space Brothers, too.

I'd put Mysterious Girlfriend X in as a good surprise.

And Fujiko definitely belongs as one of the biggest disappointments in recent years. AO, too, but people were a little less excited for that.

I'd put Penguindrum in the met hype category, personally, but that's a whole different discussion.

Tsuritama would definitely be a show which exceeded the hype. Space Brothers, too.

I'd put Mysterious Girlfriend X in as a good surprise.

And Fujiko definitely belongs as one of the biggest disappointments in recent years. AO, too, but people were a little less excited for that.

AO sounds more like it belongs in the Crimes Against Humanity tier.

Actually think Hataraku Maou-sama and Oregairu should be added under Surprises, but I'm not aware what GAF's stance was prior to them being aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom