• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobunaga za Furu 2

Kawamori is completely insane, isn't he?

And Gin-chan is Da Vinci. This anime is worth watching solely for that.

As to the implied incest, even if for some reason marriage/love between siblings was normal in older japan, you know they didn't do it for that. Poor Jeanne, she was perfect waifu material.

Quasar

So people gripe about MAL and its metadata eccentricities. Have to say LastFM aggravates me more. Multiple pages for the same artist and so when an album is played and scrobbled it links to different artist pages for each track..as is happening to me now with a certain HanaKana single.

So some tracks using metadata from this whilst other tracks of the same single use this

*grumble*

Narras

I just finished watching From the New World and had a few questions about a certain item.

My question is in regards to minoshiros. In episode 4, a minoshiro is burned and casts an image of a woman holding a child. Shun thinks it is to protect the minoshiro by inducing the Death of Shame. Is that really the reason? Also, who created these things? I thought it was the science people out of the four groups. I'm assuming it is created by them because of the way the minoshiro protects itself. So, I'm wondering why would they create an item that would kill them if they ever decide to destroy it?

I don't know if any of these questions actually have an answer or if I missed them, but I was really curious about them if anyone knew.

CorvoSol

What does it even fucking MEAN!?

Are we to understand that family planning is akin to throwing away a life? Or are we to understand that it's good because these people were miserable? Or they weren't? Were they alive the entire episode? Dead the whole time? Were these the suicidal thoughts of the spirits of aborted children?

WHAT.

THE.

KAWAMORI.

DOES THIS SHIT MEAN.

Mature

What does it even fucking MEAN!?

Are we to understand that family planning is akin to throwing away a life? Or are we to understand that it's good because these people were miserable? Or they weren't? Were they alive the entire episode? Dead the whole time? Were these the suicidal thoughts of the spirits of aborted children?

WHAT.

THE.

KAWAMORI.

DOES THIS SHIT MEAN.
Eh? What's confusing about it? It's really been a while since I've seen it, but I don't remember any profound subtext being thrown around— it was just about a group of people unhappy with life
with the twist that they'd been dead all along. A pretty classic ghost story.

CorvoSol

Eh? What's confusing about it? It's really been a while since I've seen it, but I don't remember any profound subtext being thrown around— it was just about a group of people unhappy with life
with the twist that they'd been dead all along. A pretty classic ghost story.

It's the "Family Planning" stuff tacked onto the end. Also it's completely unrelated to, you know, the entire plot.

It's the "Family Planning" stuff tacked onto the end. Also it's completely unrelated to, you know, the entire plot.

I actually really liked how there was a sidestory episode like that. It was incidentally the very first episode of Paranoia Agent I ever saw, back when they had it on Adult Swim.

Soma

Lots to catch up with over the weekend. That's what I get for being distracted by AGDQ and SMT IV I guess...

Wizard Baristas Ep. 1

So that was a whole lot of explosions.

The 90's as fuck atmosphere was pretty fun though and the show definitely has some really nice animated moments. Strong opening episode but I have a feeling the themes of MAGIC DISCRIMINATION and JUSTICE are gonna cause some problems for this show down the line.

Space Dandy Ep. 2

Some jokes worked, some didn't. Looked fantastic the whole way through and the music continues to sound amazing.

Judging by the preview, I think next episode is sure going to make a lot of people happy.

Tonari no Seki-kun Ep. 2

Yeah the Shogi skit was one of my favorites and the transition into animated form worked out really well.

Great stuff.

Nisekoi Ep. 1

Not gonna lie... I enjoyed this quite a bit. It's definitely like seeing the source material through a different lens and it worked out for the better. Shinbo's... 'unique' touch managed to be an oddly good fit for this though there were a few moments of it being a little bit too much. The episode brought me back to a time to where the manga was still pretty good. And managed to remind me of how terrible Chitoge is.

Tsugumi's arrival can't come soon enough.

I'll probably stick with this until it gets to the point where I dropped the manga.

Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda Ep. 1

I had no idea what to expect from this outside of the interesting character designs and... I'm still not 100% sure of what I just watched. A lot of the dialogue in the beginning was boring but turned out to be entertaining towards the end of the episode. Kinda wish there was a little more context for the current state of the world but I guess I'll have to wait on that.

Seitokai Yakuindomo Ep. 2

And so my favorite guilty pleasure anime continues and it's pretty much more of the same with a slightly higher budget. I'm still not really sure what it is about this series but I just can't stop watching it. Even when the jokes don't work, I still manage to find this entertaining.

Also, more Tsuda X Shino scenes
that will continue to not go anywhere ;_;

Shergal

The next one is the one with the housewives right? It's more tangentially related, Happy Family Planning is almost completely standalone.

As for the title, I've always thought it had to do with a glimpse into the little girl's backstory. The other two get their subtle nods throughout the episode, and she does if you squint, but the title fits so.

It doesn't really matter. Episode could be called "8" and it would still be 10/10

CorvoSol

I actually really liked how there was a sidestory episode like that. It was incidentally the very first episode of Paranoia Agent I ever saw, back when they had it on Adult Swim.

Oh. I'm going to assume I don't remember something then, haha. I loved it for what I mentioned.

In all honesty, the episode itself wasn't bad. Not even the twist ending. That last minute thing was batshit insane, though, and all of it was especially crazy in that it wasn't related to the plot tonally or in any way. I mean there can be side stories, sure, but this was so completely unrelated that it just felt damn weird, and then "Happy Family Planning!"

Dresden

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...et-ammo-novelist-teases-franchise-new-project

Writer Chūgaku Akamatsu reported on Sunday that the pachinko game that was just announced for the anime of his Aria the Scarlet Ammo novels is not the new project that he had mentioned earlier. He added that something big is waiting to be revealed.

According to Akamatsu, the pachinko machine will feature brand new anime footage. The pachinko machine will be unveiled at an opening event at Akihabara's Belle Salle pachinko parlor on January 26, and 100 people will be allowed to attend the event. Those who wish to attend can apply to attend until January 20.

6gtfdUf.png

Gazoinks

I just finished watching From the New World and had a few questions about a certain item.

My question is in regards to minoshiros. In episode 4, a minoshiro is burned and casts an image of a woman holding a child. Shun thinks it is to protect the minoshiro by inducing the Death of Shame. Is that really the reason? Also, who created these things? I thought it was the science people out of the four groups. I'm assuming it is created by them because of the way the minoshiro protects itself. So, I'm wondering why would they create an item that would kill them if they ever decide to destroy it?

I don't know if any of these questions actually have an answer or if I missed them, but I was really curious about them if anyone knew.

I haven't finished the series, but this covers information I've seen, so...
Yeah, it triggers the Death of Shame. Remember what happened to the monk... Rijin or whatever. Presumably they engineered it like so people wouldn't try to destroy it. They wanted the knowledge to be preserved, so they put in a kill switch if you try to destroy it.

CorvoSol

Fair enough. It only gets more strange.
I thought that was an excellent episode though. Far from Kawamori's bullshit at least.

Maybe I've just seen too much Kawamori and have been brainwashed to expect that there's something more to "Family Planning" than that. Or maybe it's because the show does have an air of being critical of Japanese culture anyway, and so this bit about "Family Planning" comes off as exactly that.

I don't know anything anyway.

Gazoinks

Gintama 13

This must be one of the fabled (mostly) serious episodes. Excellent. This show can really pull of that flip-flopping when it'd feel jarring in another show, because the characters (especially Gintoki) are rounded enough to handle it. Really enjoying this, and apparently I'm not even up to where it gets good yet.

sonicmj1

It's about them finding happiness in each other's company. They make a new family. Don't let Kawamori get too deep in your head.

I mean, don't you think it's interesting that
despite being suicidal, as some of Shonen Bat's victims are, Shonen Bat flees from them? Their togetherness represents an ideal that opposes what he stands for. Shonen Bat attacks those who are isolated and without support, but the three characters in Happy Family Planning have each other.

As for
when they died, you can watch the episode again while keeping an eye on their shadows.

Happy Family Planning is one of the best episodes in a series full of incredibly strong episodes.

cajunator

Banned
I watched the whole thing in a day once. I highly recommend it.

Same. Although my first viewing of it was after I had seen Perfect BLue and around the time of Millennium Actress. I was interested in his work and Newtype magazine revealed a new show called Mousou Dairinin. It ended up being Paranoia Agent and I eagerly preordered and collected it volume by volume as it released. CLiffhangers sucked so hard when the next volume was 2 months away :( Yall are so lucky with your newfangled Crunchyroll.

The next one is the one with the housewives right? It's more tangentially related, Happy Family Planning is almost completely standalone.

As for the title, I've always thought it had to do with a glimpse into the little girl's backstory. The other two get their subtle nods throughout the episode, and she does if you squint, but the title fits so.

It doesn't really matter. Episode could be called "8" and it would still be 10/10

Yes. the gossip episode. Not so much a recap episode as an anecdotal episode telling various tales of Little Slugger.

Silver Spoon 1

I ignored this anime because why the hell would I want to see an anime about farming? Then I found out it's from the creator of Fullmetal Alchemist and I jumped right in with 0 hesitation. It's good! Armstrong!

cajunator

Banned
It's about them finding happiness in each other's company. They make a new family. Don't let Kawamori get too deep in your head.

I mean, don't you think it's interesting that
despite being suicidal, as some of Shonen Bat's victims are, Shonen Bat flees from them? Their togetherness represents an ideal that opposes what he stands for. Shonen Bat attacks those who are isolated and without support, but the three characters in Happy Family Planning have each other.

As for
when they died, you can watch the episode again while keeping an eye on their shadows.

Happy Family Planning is one of the best episodes in a series full of incredibly strong episodes.

Pretty much. This is how it ties in with the rest of the story. It was meant to to show a certain aspect of how Little SLugger operates and the circumstances with which he affects victims. But mostly it was just another surreal episode in a show full of them.

Shergal

All this talk about the ep and referring to it by its title just made me realize anime series don't have cool, iconic episode titles anymore :(

Nodame Cantabile Finale 08

Q5CpXQhl.jpg

Even though all the ups and downs we had in this season so far, this episode really hits it home how hard it has been for poor Nodame.

So I need a new food anime (aka something to watch throughout many months by watching an episode while I eat).

Should I go with Beelzebub or SKET Dance?

I tend to prefer less plot heavy more episodic shows for this genre of savory animes. Previous shows: Gintama, Bob's Burgers, Shirokuma Cafe, and currently South Park since I have nothing better to watch.

So I need a new food anime (aka something to watch throughout many months by watching an episode while I eat).

I tend to prefer less plot heavy more episodic shows for this genre of savory animes. Previous shows: Gintama, Bob's Burgers, Shirokuma Cafe, and currently South Park since I have nothing better to watch.

SKET Dance.

cajunator

Banned

Yakitate Japan

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Corvo: Is this your first Satoshi Kon title? He's the kind to kick you into the open sea with no lifeline. Watch Perfect Blue sometime.

I, for one, loved the Happy Family Planning episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom