• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I'd put Penguindrum in the met hype category, personally, but that's a whole different discussion.

Tsuritama would definitely be a show which exceeded the hype. Space Brothers, too.

I'd put Mysterious Girlfriend X in as a good surprise.

And Fujiko definitely belongs as one of the biggest disappointments in recent years. AO, too, but people were a little less excited for that.

Well, it's my personal list. Other people can make their own, of course.

You haven't already seen this?

Well my post would be kind of weird if I had.

AO sounds more like it belongs in the Crimes Against Humanity tier.

Yeah, that would be a good place for it. BONES always killing anime.

Well, it's my personal list. Other people can make their own, of course.

Yeah, I was just responding with some of the things I would do on my own list, since most of the other stuff I agree with, and it was easier than just typing up a list with a lot of the same things.

While I'm here, I might as well ask a more meaningful question. I was asked by someone, " why did K-On use 映画 to say "... The Movie" instead of 劇場版 like 99% of other anime TV-to-film adapatations do."
And I have no idea about any of this, so if anyone has anything to shed some light on this mystery.
Thanks!

OceanBlue

Actually think Hataraku Maou-sama and Oregairu should be added under Surprises, but I'm not aware what GAF's stance was prior to them being aired.

I think very few people were looking forward to those anime before they aired, especially Oregairu. At least, I remember being pleasantly surprised when I saw either of them in anyone's pre-season lists.

cajunator

Banned
Everything about this episode, man.

Suddenly Sagi made it all up. Or did she? I mean Lil' Slugger should be locked up right now, but he goes and clubs daughter girl. Cop who caught Lil' Slugger had some SERIOUS issues with his daddy fetish. Said cop, if I am not mistaken, had already been to see Maria. Maria was the tutor of Ichi. But what's Ichi's connection to Sagi and the reporter? I think the reporter is a victim just like Ushi was, because Sagi wanted him to be.

The flood. The hallucinations. Most of all, daughter-girl gets clubbed upside the head and SAGI IS THE ONE WHO GOES FLYING BECAUSE OF IT.

The fuck is going on in this town?

No worries. It gets even weirder.

ALso, Millennium Actress is a movie and by far Satoshi Kon's best work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGrD5wUzKE

This movie is sososososososososososososossosososoososososososososososososososooooo good

I'd put Penguindrum in the met hype category, personally, but that's a whole different discussion.

Tsuritama would definitely be a show which exceeded the hype. Space Brothers, too.

I'd put Mysterious Girlfriend X in as a good surprise.

And Fujiko definitely belongs as one of the biggest disappointments in recent years. AO, too, but people were a little less excited for that.

Pendrum met my Ikuhara expectations in that it was batshit insane. Its what I wanted. Plus cute penguins that ended up being even cuter plushies to collect.

Tsuritama is one of my top favorites of recent years so that definitely did. Incredible show.

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 14 – The Hidden Citizens
tumblr_mzak2yqBMG1rprie2o1_500.png

Judar and Ren Hakuryu presence in both the ED and OP is nice, I hope it suggest or heavily implies a potential team up and power increase for him and at least potentially a change of heart and sides for Judar?

Vivid delivered on yet another awesome song for an OP. Its a nice change of pace compared with REAL from Gundam Age and BLUE for Bleach. While 9nine ED song was great though it could have looked better instead of just one long image for it :(

Episode was nice but just reaffirmed my belief that Magi has one of the worst worlds that one could live in in shonen action series. People settled in nicely with the class system and not even willing to leave the oppression and then knowing things are not right but willing to stay and not even revolt. I mean its like 200K of them versus what, a few strong magicians at the top. If they were only willing.

Quasar

It would be interesting to look at shows we've hyped up for ourselves in the past, and which ones have met or exceeded expectations, as opposed to those which have disappointed us. Also shows which have come out of nowhere to surprise us.

Thinking about it..for me shows tend to never fail badly in terms of meeting expectations. I don't know if its simply that I can read whether I'd like a thing or not very well from relatively little information.

In that same way most things that are hugely hyped and my first impression is that I wouldn't like it tends to turn out true when I try it out because everyone else seems to like it.

That's not to say that I'm never surprised. In the past season Arpeggio was a surprise for me.

cajunator

Banned
Thinking about it..for me shows tend to never fail badly in terms of meeting expectations. I don't know if its simply that I can read whether I'd like a thing or not very well from relatively little information.

In that same way most things that are hugely hyped and my first impression is that I wouldn't like it tends to turn out true when I try it out because because everyone else seems to like it.

That's not to say that I'm never surprised. In the past season Arpeggio was a surprise for me.

This is how I go about things as well. I sometimes probably miss out on a few good things, but I generally watch what Im nearly certain will please me and 99/100 times it does.

survivor

Banned
It would be interesting to look at shows we've hyped up for ourselves in the past, and which ones have met or exceeded expectations, as opposed to those which have disappointed us. Also shows which have come out of nowhere to surprise us.

Just a few recent shows that I can remember my hype level about them

Disappointments

Gatchaman
SNAFU
Binbougami ga!
Robotics;Notes
Tamako Market
Chihayafuru
Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san
HAL
The Knight in the Area

Surprises

Ano Hana
Otona Joshi no Anime Time
Joshiraku
Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Utakoi
Moyashimon

Met the Hype

Tsuritama
Hyouka
Wolf Children
Garden of Words
Ano Natsu

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Silver Spoon 2 1

Glad this show is back. Definitely one of my favorites from 2013 and will probably be the same in 2014.

That
Touch
cameo made me laugh. As did the bathroom scene. Poor Hachiken got cut down brutally at the end there.

Milamber

Silver Spoon 2 1

Glad this show is back. Definitely one of my favorites from 2013 and will probably be the same in 2014.

That
Touch
cameo made me laugh. As did the bathroom scene. Poor Hachiken got cut down brutally at the end there.

I can't understand the chapter restructuring in that episode though.

sonicmj1

Everything about this episode, man.

Suddenly Sagi made it all up. Or did she? I mean Lil' Slugger should be locked up right now, but he goes and clubs daughter girl. Cop who caught Lil' Slugger had some SERIOUS issues with his daddy fetish. Said cop, if I am not mistaken, had already been to see Maria. Maria was the tutor of Ichi. But what's Ichi's connection to Sagi and the reporter? I think the reporter is a victim just like Ushi was, because Sagi wanted him to be.

The flood. The hallucinations. Most of all, daughter-girl gets clubbed upside the head and SAGI IS THE ONE WHO GOES FLYING BECAUSE OF IT.

The fuck is going on in this town?

Paranoia Agent isn't as intense about it as Utena, but symbolism is important to understanding the show. Lil' Slugger is as much a concept as he is someone that hits people in the head. There's a reason why he comes to those people, at the times he comes to them.

The show is trying (most of the time) to make a larger point about Japanese society, so it's worth thinking about how these individuals fit in the larger picture.

CorvoSol

Clearly no one remembered/listened then.

Bidness as yoozh, then.

Paranoia Agent isn't as intense about it as Utena, but symbolism is important to understanding the show. Lil' Slugger is as much a concept as he is someone that hits people in the head. There's a reason why he comes to those people, at the times he comes to them.

The show is trying (most of the time) to make a larger point about Japanese society, so it's worth thinking about how these individuals fit in the larger picture.

Right, I get that, but

Paranoia Agent 7

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Mothman91

Just finished Aku no Hana...wtf? Crazy ass roller coaster ride for me.

Now onto something else, I've seen lots of people watching that spaceship anime lately, should I board the same train?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just finished Aku no Hana...wtf? Crazy ass roller coaster ride for me.

Now onto something else, I've seen lots of people watching that spaceship anime lately, should I board the same train?

Join the Yamato hype train.

CorvoSol

Yamato lol. Space Dandy I have caught up with :)

Edit: there was lots of quick scenes that never happened in the show in Aku no Hana during the last episode. Were those flashbacks during the month after the hill event?

I think they were previews for the rest of the story that can only be enjoyed via manga.

Wizard Barristers 01

It was ok. The initial action was pretty good but then it basically went to a lot of talking. It just felt average for me and it didn't really catch me that much. I guess I'm kinda impressed at least they didn't finish the case in the first episode.

I'm kinda skeptical as this could end up pretty boring if they keep up with the not using magic and instead talk talking stuff.

And it wasn't about lawyers using magic to solve cases or a magic courtroom battle so I'm pretty much leaning no at this point.

fertygo

Tonari no Seki-kun - 2

Man, these 2 kid sure have lotta of imagination lol
Tonari no Seki-kun - 2

Why can't this show have multiple segments per episode? I need more.

Guess I could start the manga.

Yeap.

Met or Exceeded Hype

Hyouka
Wolf Children
From the New World
Kids on the Slope
Hanasaku Iroha
Rozen Maiden 2013
Little Witch Academia
Garden of Words
Bunny Drop
Madoka
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya