• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting for one of you guys arguing over shippings to say:

xbV60Iv.gif

yeah but I bet you suck at card games

zeroshiki

In my quest to watch important 2013 shows to build my AOTY list, I saw an episode of Gundam Build Fighters yesterday. Ehhh... not for me. There is no weight to the fights (as in, winning or losing doesn't really matter) and the story is non sensical. Unfortunately it seems like I have outgrown the Digimon collect and battle type of anime. Watching hand animated mech fights (while good) is not enough for me to continue watching a show unfortunately.

I might give it an episode or two more but I don't think I'll change my mind.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 3

Ahh there's Hisoka and Killua. Fucking flower petals! I think I need to re-read to see if that was censorship because it just seemed rather absurd.

I'm pretty sure that's the only piece of censorship there. All the other crazy shit that went down was uncensored.

I think. I'd have to rewatch the Hunter Exam arc to be sure.

sonicmj1

I don't know where else to put this ... I work as a writer/actress at FOX and convinced them to let me do a tribute to anime. Sorry if it doesn't count as Winter 2014, but if it doesn't go here, I don't know where to put it.

This will air on TV. And is maybe the culmination of my life's work.

It's for us. For you. For me. The song of a shonen hero with the combined powers of the big anime of the last decade and a half.

Ultimate Anime Hero.

Hearing "Animation Domination made a sendup video of anime" didn't give me a lot of confidence, but that was actually a lot of fun. Good work.

wonzo

Banned
Witch Craft Works 2

witchcraftw2.jpg

Yep, this is still a pretty decent series so far and CG seemed improved over the last episode. My only real complaint is the dumb recap lines at the beginning which I really hated in the manga and I'll hate it here too if they keep it up for most of the series.

Cloudy

Banned
Guys, if you liked Gundam SEED, check out Buddy Complex

It's Sooo good. The mech fights are awesome too

"Death to the enemies of Zogilia"

Cannot wait for ep 3!

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 3

Ahh there's Hisoka and Killua. Fucking flower petals! I think I need to re-read to see if that was censorship because it just seemed rather absurd.

lol Tonpa

Yes, it was censored. There's some other censored stuff in the arc, but nothing major.

The censorship is completely abandoned by the time Yorkshin starts. Well, maybe not COMPLETELY if you compare it to the manga, but the original anime didn't show a ton of gore either beyond a few parts.

CorvoSol

LOL.
You always have the absolute perfect reactions!
I await a more introspective approach shortly.

It's really, really hard to put into words the end of the series.

Possibility 1- Paranoia Agent is about Ikari coping with his wife's inevitable death. Every aspect of the show is in some way relative to the difficulties their marriage must face. For example, Ikari wanted a daughter, but he and his wife could not conceive. We see this in the station cop and his own daughter, a perversion of the relationship Ikari wanted. The crooked cop and his frightened daughter are extensions of Ikari and his non-existent daughter, then. Because the world is corrupt and Ikari feels no place in it, though, their relationship is perverted and twisted. The relationship between the girl and Sagi is then explained in that Sagi functions as the delusion of Ikari's own daughter, and Sagi's authoritarian father as an example of how Ikari feared having a son because he resented his old man.

We see, in fact, that Detective Ikari is terrible with younger men. His interactions with Maniwa are grumpy at best, and his treatment of the false Lil' Slugger is downright vicious at times. The furious bus-boy in the animation department is an expression of the rage which Ikari felt for his own father (represented by the animation staff) and for the fear he felt of a son who would revile him.

"Happy Family Planning" is a stab, then, at Mrs. Ikari's infertility and miscarriage. She desperately wanted a child, just as her husband did, but could not have one. Meanwhile we see three perfectly healthy people completely willing to throw away their lives. The horror story about the birth of Lil' Slugger in the Housewives episode is demonstrative of that same pain at not being able to have their own, healthy child. The woman trapped with her mother in law is again Detective Ikari and his father. The housewives are themselves a demonstration of unhappy women who are all the same healthy, which is something Mrs. Ikari cannot experience.

Ichi and Usshi represent the son Detective Ikari is afraid of. On the one hand Ichi is a miserable son of a gun who is exactly the sort of thing Detective Ikari would be hated by, but Usshi is the sort of soft half-wit that his impatience would lead him to mistreat. The reporter is a reflection of everything that he hates about the world, so intensely obsessed as he is with his next dirty scoop.

Harumi/Maria and her fiance are Detective Ikari and his wife Misae. Misae had a terrible affliction which she feared would tear them apart (her illness) and which she chose to confide in Ikari, who in turn told her not to worry about because they would face it together. Harumi has an illness of her own (Maria), but her decision not to tell her fiance ultimately ruins her and their relationship. Additionally Maria is a sexually active person, whereas Misae is frail, yet it is Misae, not Maria, who shows true strength when confronted by Lil' Slugger.

Lastly, Sagi and Maromi are representative of the Detective and his wife. Ikari's obsession with work distracts him from Misae, and she dies alone. Sagi's momentary distraction causes her to let go of Maromi who is killed by a force beyond Sagi's power to fight, much as Misae's illness was to Ikari. The difference, and therein the crux of the entire series, is that Detective Ikari, unlike Sagi, does not run away from his wife's death. She dies and he accepts that she is dead and that life will go on without her and without him. It is this demonstration, this tirade of his which convinces Sagi to accept that Maromi's death was at least partially her fault, and that she could not run away from it forever. The black tang which enveloped Tokyo was Lil' Slugger, who in turn was the emotional scape-goat people used to run away from reality. Maromi and Lil' Slugger were in equal parts that same force meant to distract people from their issues.

The series ends the way it began, with people ignoring their own problems, and with Ikari working, continuing his mundane life because he has accepted that his wife is dead and that he has to keep moving all the same.

Explanation B, though, is that everything in the series is about Sagi and Maromi. Ichi's resentment of Usshi was the same as Sagi's momentary frustration with Maromi. The false Lil' Slugger's fantasy world was the same as Sagi's own fantasy of Lil' Slugger. The detective and his wife were representative of her and Maromi. The death seekers represented the foolishness of throwing away your life when Sagi so valued Maromi's. Harumi and Maria were the two sides of Sagi: her emotionless introvert that she displayed to the world and the raw emotions roiling beneath. Harumi's fiance was Maromi, who suffered because of these. Maniwa was her father, whose punishment she desperately hoped to evade. The corrupt cop and his daughter were simultaneously Sagi and her father (severity and victim) and Sagi and Maromi (abuse of a relationship, victim and subsequent denial thereof.)

Ultimately the show serves simultaneously as a criticism of Japanese (if not all) culture in that people are desperate to run away from the real problems and truth of their lives that they hide behind it and everything (anime, electronics, sports, positions, power, sex, booze, smokes, etc) that they cannot see the sickness this causes them.

Most notable of all, though, is that the only six people who defeat Lil' Slugger are: Zebra, Fuyabuchi, Komome, Detective Ikari, Misae and Sagi. Zebra, Fuyabuchi and Komome are the most obvious to explain: Lil' Slugger feared them because they weren't backed into a corner at all, and because they were concerned with each other, rather than themselves. Detective Ikari defeats Moromi by admitting that his world is over and facing up to the reality of his failures, rather than running away. Sagi follows suit by accepting her responsibility in Moromi's death. Misae, though, defeats him on sheer faith, love, and hope. Her belief in her husband's character strengthens her own. And it isn't a misplaced faith. She doesn't lift him high on a pedestal (though you could argue that he is shown to fall short in all that she says), but she uses her belief in him to face her pain, rather than how everyone has used their faith in Lil' Slugger and Moromi to run away.

Maniwa, however, never succeeds in defeating Lil' Slugger, even though he is armed with the Truth. This is because Maniwa indulges himself too much in a fantasy of truth, becoming a Holy Warrior, rather than accept who he really is.

Explanation C, if you will forgive the length of this post, is that Maniwa is right, and that all of this is a time loop. The series ends as it began, and Maniwa becomes the old man. Just before it is all over, we see Detective Ikari wielding a baseball bat and destroying things that burst into Maromis. The dark tang which levels Tokyo leaves him to remark "this is just how it was after the war." It isn't entirely impossible, then, that Maniwa, as the new old man, will be hit or already has been hit by a car, just as Maromi was, setting the entire thing into motion again.

And now my head hurts.

cajunator

Banned
Arata's accent is the worst hick accent you can find. Its like saying you like the Southern accent from Alabama or somewhere equally nowhere.

Depends on the southern accent. Alabama accent is twangy, but the Georgia accent is very smooth and Georgian girls sound very cute. Ive verified this.

Also Arata sucks and Taichi is better.
Just sayin.

So I was bored today and decided to revisit an anime I haven't watched since it first came out back in 06, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya!

I wanted to rewatch it to see why I liked it back in high school. I didn't remember much about the show except for the ED I guess. I do remember the only reason I wanted to watch it was because of the Phoenix Wright tribute/animation thing. I'm pretty sure I caught up to the show to that point and followed it weekly till it ended.

This show still holds up! I'm enjoying my time watching it and get more of the references in the show like the Day of Sagittarius box art and I guess most of that episode... something I would have never gotten watching it back in high school.

I see there's a second season, and I guess I'll watch it, but what was the opinion on those? I never really heard much about it, but I remember back when the show originally aired Haruhi stuff was everywhere.

I loved the show start to finish. But that said, I watched it all in a chunk a few months ago (in chronological order, not broadcast order). I think some people got tired of the Endless Eight episodes, but I kinda new they were coming so it didn't bother me too much. But like others have said, the movie is a must-watch. Absolutely fantastic.

I enjoy both the karuta and the romance, and I think they complement each other fairly well. Season 2 was fairly heavy on the karuta tournament, but I found it pretty thrilling on just about every level. I'd like to see a little more of the romance handled in the next season, but I'm also fine with more and more karuta because it's a lot of fun to watch, especially with all of the characters' thought processes.

No desire to ever see Chihaya/Arata, though, because Chihaya/Taichi is where it's at.

Yep, Arata is lame. He's a boring character. Chihaya/Taichi is the only right answer. The karuta is certainly handled week and is exciting, but I think they could just do a better job of condensing matches to a single episode, or half an episode for the less important matches.

Witch Craft Works 02

BvcND6Rl.jpg

Ah, my favorite hook of this series.

Episode 2 definitely gotten better. I rather like seeing the witches animated since it gives them some personality instead of how I remember them now as mostly cannon fodder.

cajunator

Banned
It's really, really hard to put into words the end of the series.

Possibility 1- Paranoia Agent is about Ikari coping with his wife's inevitable death. Every aspect of the show is in some way relative to the difficulties their marriage must face. For example, Ikari wanted a daughter, but he and his wife could not conceive. We see this in the station cop and his own daughter, a perversion of the relationship Ikari wanted. The crooked cop and his frightened daughter are extensions of Ikari and his non-existent daughter, then. Because the world is corrupt and Ikari feels no place in it, though, their relationship is perverted and twisted. The relationship between the girl and Sagi is then explained in that Sagi functions as the delusion of Ikari's own daughter, and Sagi's authoritarian father as an example of how Ikari feared having a son because he resented his old man.

We see, in fact, that Detective Ikari is terrible with younger men. His interactions with Maniwa are grumpy at best, and his treatment of the false Lil' Slugger is downright vicious at times. The furious bus-boy in the animation department is an expression of the rage which Ikari felt for his own father (represented by the animation staff) and for the fear he felt of a son who would revile him.

"Happy Family Planning" is a stab, then, at Mrs. Ikari's infertility and miscarriage. She desperately wanted a child, just as her husband did, but could not have one. Meanwhile we see three perfectly healthy people completely willing to throw away their lives. The horror story about the birth of Lil' Slugger in the Housewives episode is demonstrative of that same pain at not being able to have their own, healthy child. The woman trapped with her mother in law is again Detective Ikari and his father. The housewives are themselves a demonstration of unhappy women who are all the same healthy, which is something Mrs. Ikari cannot experience.

Ichi and Usshi represent the son Detective Ikari is afraid of. On the one hand Ichi is a miserable son of a gun who is exactly the sort of thing Detective Ikari would be hated by, but Usshi is the sort of soft half-wit that his impatience would lead him to mistreat. The reporter is a reflection of everything that he hates about the world, so intensely obsessed as he is with his next dirty scoop.

Harumi/Maria and her fiance are Detective Ikari and his wife Misae. Misae had a terrible affliction which she feared would tear them apart (her illness) and which she chose to confide in Ikari, who in turn told her not to worry about because they would face it together. Harumi has an illness of her own (Maria), but her decision not to tell her fiance ultimately ruins her and their relationship. Additionally Maria is a sexually active person, whereas Misae is frail, yet it is Misae, not Maria, who shows true strength when confronted by Lil' Slugger.

Lastly, Sagi and Maromi are representative of the Detective and his wife. Ikari's obsession with work distracts him from Misae, and she dies alone. Sagi's momentary distraction causes her to let go of Maromi who is killed by a force beyond Sagi's power to fight, much as Misae's illness was to Ikari. The difference, and therein the crux of the entire series, is that Detective Ikari, unlike Sagi, does not run away from his wife's death. She dies and he accepts that she is dead and that life will go on without her and without him. It is this demonstration, this tirade of his which convinces Sagi to accept that Maromi's death was at least partially her fault, and that she could not run away from it forever. The black tang which enveloped Tokyo was Lil' Slugger, who in turn was the emotional scape-goat people used to run away from reality. Maromi and Lil' Slugger were in equal parts that same force meant to distract people from their issues.

The series ends the way it began, with people ignoring their own problems, and with Ikari working, continuing his mundane life because he has accepted that his wife is dead and that he has to keep moving all the same.

Explanation B, though, is that everything in the series is about Sagi and Maromi. Ichi's resentment of Usshi was the same as Sagi's momentary frustration with Maromi. The false Lil' Slugger's fantasy world was the same as Sagi's own fantasy of Lil' Slugger. The detective and his wife were representative of her and Maromi. The death seekers represented the foolishness of throwing away your life when Sagi so valued Maromi's. Harumi and Maria were the two sides of Sagi: her emotionless introvert that she displayed to the world and the raw emotions roiling beneath. Harumi's fiance was Maromi, who suffered because of these. Maniwa was her father, whose punishment she desperately hoped to evade. The corrupt cop and his daughter were simultaneously Sagi and her father (severity and victim) and Sagi and Maromi (abuse of a relationship, victim and subsequent denial thereof.)

Ultimately the show serves simultaneously as a criticism of Japanese (if not all) culture in that people are desperate to run away from the real problems and truth of their lives that they hide behind it and everything (anime, electronics, sports, positions, power, sex, booze, smokes, etc) that they cannot see the sickness this causes them.

Most notable of all, though, is that the only six people who defeat Lil' Slugger are: Zebra, Fuyabuchi, Komome, Detective Ikari, Misae and Sagi. Zebra, Fuyabuchi and Komome are the most obvious to explain: Lil' Slugger feared them because they weren't backed into a corner at all, and because they were concerned with each other, rather than themselves. Detective Ikari defeats Moromi by admitting that his world is over and facing up to the reality of his failures, rather than running away. Sagi follows suit by accepting her responsibility in Moromi's death. Misae, though, defeats him on sheer faith, love, and hope. Her belief in her husband's character strengthens her own. And it isn't a misplaced faith. She doesn't lift him high on a pedestal (though you could argue that he is shown to fall short in all that she says), but she uses her belief in him to face her pain, rather than how everyone has used their faith in Lil' Slugger and Moromi to run away.

Maniwa, however, never succeeds in defeating Lil' Slugger, even though he is armed with the Truth. This is because Maniwa indulges himself too much in a fantasy of truth, becoming a Holy Warrior, rather than accept who he really is.

Explanation C, if you will forgive the length of this post, is that Maniwa is right, and that all of this is a time loop. The series ends as it began, and Maniwa becomes the old man. Just before it is all over, we see Detective Ikari wielding a baseball bat and destroying things that burst into Maromis. The dark tang which levels Tokyo leaves him to remark "this is just how it was after the war." It isn't entirely impossible, then, that Maniwa, as the new old man, will be hit or already has been hit by a car, just as Maromi was, setting the entire thing into motion again.

And now my head hurts.

I subscribe more to the second of your theories, though the first is admittedly something I really hadnt considered. Ill have to rewatch it with that in mind to see if I agree. But me being of a simpler mind I went with the second possibility. The 3rd scenario is because your brain is slowly cooking from too much bizarre anime and you need a rest.

I'm pretty sure that's the only piece of censorship there. All the other crazy shit that went down was uncensored.

I think. I'd have to rewatch the Hunter Exam arc to be sure.

Yes, it was censored. There's some other censored stuff in the arc, but nothing major.

The censorship is completely abandoned by the time Yorkshin starts. Well, maybe not COMPLETELY if you compare it to the manga, but the original anime didn't show a ton of gore either beyond a few parts.

Ah well that's good to know. I don't really have any material of the older anime to really make comparisons, and I'm basically running on faint memories of things in HxH (well, precise details to be exact).

@Corvo: It is a shame that I can't really comment on your PA commentary, considering how long ago I've actually watched it (like when it first aired on Adult Swim). Certainly gave me some more insight on how things really ticked in PA.

CorvoSol

I subscribe more to the second of your theories, though the first is admittedly something I really hadnt considered. Ill have to rewatch it with that in mind to see if I agree. But me being of a simpler mind I went with the second possibility. The 3rd scenario is because your brain is slowly cooking from too much bizarre anime and you need a rest.

That's true. But I mean, that speech at the end, man.

FUN FACT: I've developed or noticed a slight twitch under my left eye today, so I think it is in fact possible that anime has recently driven me completely insane.

I think I'm gonna watch Paranoia Agent soon. All this talk. :D

It's pretty good. Kinda could've done without episodes 8, 9 and 10, though.

@Corvo: It is a shame that I can't really comment on your PA commentary, considering how long ago I've actually watched it (like when it first aired on Adult Swim). Certainly gave me some more insight on how things really ticked in PA.

I'm glad I watched it. All I have now on my watch list (that isn't currently airing) is classic mecha, Orphen and Happy Science.

Golden Laws is crazy.

Quasar

Yep, Arata is lame. He's a boring character. Chihaya/Taichi is the only right answer. The karuta is certainly handled week and is exciting, but I think they could just do a better job of condensing matches to a single episode, or half an episode for the less important matches.

Bah. If anything I want Arata to expand his circle to include Shinobu. Yeah. I'm calling for a Arata centered harem.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 4

The real Phase 1 begins. But not without more insight on Leorio and Kuripika. See, money doesn't make you a terrible person! It's fine as long as you're noble about it!

Now about those relaxitives.

cajunator

Banned
I just need to finish up my 2013 backlog first, From the New World and Rozen Maiden.

Nice nice. From the New World is creepy and satisfying. Good choice.

That's true. But I mean, that speech at the end, man.

FUN FACT: I've developed or noticed a slight twitch under my left eye today, so I think it is in fact possible that anime has recently driven me completely insane.

It's pretty good. Kinda could've done without episodes 8, 9 and 10, though.

I'm glad I watched it. All I have now on my watch list (that isn't currently airing) is classic mecha, Orphen and Happy Science.

Golden Laws is crazy.

Did that speech really exist or were you imaging it?

Space Brothers 84:
And this has been another inspiring episode of Space Brothers. I love how Mutta always manages to find some crafty way of getting beyond the issues at hand.
His idea to motive the SEV and use it to effectively cut out the transportation issues at hand was brilliant, and he did so with ingenuity and understanding what his teammates could do. I'm sure that's the sort of thinking the people in charge would be looking for.
Kenji's crisis of faith continued, but was also dealt with admirably.
When Mutta and Kenji can reconcile at the end and just realize that they need to go all out and not worry about anything else, it's a great moment. I'm happy for both of them, and interested to see what ultimate decision gets made on their candidacy.

This was one of the best episodes in some time, and that's saying something because I think there have been a number of good episodes recently.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kill La Kill 01-02

I like this show. Find it hard to believe people got off the hype wagon for this show, I guess people must not like the direction it goes because the first few episodes were quite enjoyable.

Yamato 01-02

I don't like this show. I'll stick with it for a bit but I am really not enjoying this one so far. Everything feels ham-fisted and phony so far. Some of the scenes have been downright cringe worthy like the ones trying to make the captain look like a badass and the whole crew singing bit.

SNAFU 01-02

I like this show. Thought this was just going to be Haganai-lite but its better across the board. Not having Meat goes a long way to making this show enjoyable.

wonzo

Banned
Kill La Kill 01-02

I like this show. Find it hard to believe people got off the hype wagon for this show, I guess people must not like the direction it goes because the first few episodes were quite enjoyable.
Some of the earlier episodes were incredible but the show really starts to meander later on.

Nobunagun 02

I like the action. That was pretty cool.

Everything else really wasn't. Show's not really doing it for me and considering how many damn shows I been watching today, not really up to keep watching this.

At least I'll always remember how trippy the color usage is for this show.

The OP sucks too.

cajunator

Banned
Kill La Kill 01-02

Yamato 01-02

I don't like this show. I'll stick with it for a bit but I am really not enjoying this one so far. Everything feels ham-fisted and phony so far. Some of the scenes have been downright cringe worthy like the ones trying to make the captain look like a badass and the whole crew singing bit.

SNAFU 01-02

I like this show. Thought this was just going to be Haganai-lite but its better across the board. Not having Meat goes a long way to making this show enjoyable.

The newest villain who just showed up is an absolute cutie. I really like KLK a lot. It feels like an actiony anime should feel.

Gazoinks

From the New World 18

THINGS HAVE SUDDENLY GOTTEN EXTREMELY REAL.
There is no way this is going to end well. The Monster Rats attacking, implied to be helped out by Mari & Mamoru. Super Psychic guy has weird eyes. Creepy fan guy died. Angry Tomiko is scary.

Also, since people were mentioning memorable episode titles, I like a lot of the titles in this show: To My Beloved Saki, Scarlet Flower, A Cold and Sunlit Place, From the New World, etc.

You're doing god's work by continuing with that show. I can't stress how much I love it. So much I'm gonna rewatch the whole thing with my buddy.

I really like it, and I'm not even up to the part where it supposedly gets good yet. :p

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 5

You know, slapping x in the episode titles makes it kind of lewd. I mean, Hisoka x is so x Sneaky. Even kind of gave him a lewd presence despite his killer instincts (and future knowledge of things). Maybe... just maybe it was just right.

I started watching Hunter X Hunter on Crunchyroll. Looks like anime Monster Hunter. Two episodes in and I can't get over how much I hate the protag's look. I mean giant spiky hair, giant forehead, and the most BLECH little short shorts I've ever seen someone wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom