• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Pilot's Love Song - Episode 2

TAzsFAl.jpg

Erm, okay, whatever you say Mr. Bandereas!

It's looking likely that this show is one of those "everything and the kitchen sink" type of adventure stories. In the first episode we had a shounen lead with big dreams, the snarky sister he can rely on, the arrogant rival, and then finally the shy heroine of noble standing who has a shoujo moment with the lead. In the second episode we have school drama, mysterious political developments, convenient character pairings, and character tweeeeeeeeests.

This is definitely feeling more and more like Last Exile than the actual sequel to Last Exile did. Will keep watching.

DiGiKerot

Wait I'm confused. Don't Ghibli films do like 400-500k and Eva did 300k+.

Are you saying the gap is that big?

Yup. Even the storm-in-a-bottle nerdy phenomenon stuff like Bakemonogatai or Madoka or K-On tend to top out at around 40-60k, at least for TV series sales. Movies can do better sometimes, but TV anime kind of doesn't sell in quantities that large.

fertygo

Bomba la Bomba, Beyond the Bomba.

Btw I don't mind to be called as duckroll's follower, he recommending good anime and the best newsman!

I'm waiting for one of you guys arguing over shippings to say:

xbV60Iv.gif

yeah but I bet you suck at card games

3 regional tournament won , thanks to a very sneaky water prison combo ...
COME AT ME !
Also awarded the "best tag support deck " 2 years in a row .

I'm sorry to report that all the celebrity guests I invited to announce the results for the rewards have pulled out after seeing the allegation of rigging.

Thanks duckroll!

Celebrity guests ?
Rigging ?

Theonik

So AnimeLimited detailed the contents of the TTGL Ultimate set they are releasing.
Specifically it will contain:
AllTheAnime said:
So first off it will comprise of:

- A rigid artbox - think same style of material as Cowboy Bebop’s was made of – but bigger.
- Nice Digipack inside – to hold all 6 discs. Artwork TBC.
- A hardback A5 artbook to fit inside the box - currently the page count was set at 50 – see below for more info though.
- Only 2,000 will be printed! You’ll get an artcard inside certifying the number in the release you have got :).

What’s on the discs though?

- Episodes 1 -27 of the TV series, with English dub and subtitles over 4 BD50s
- Movie 1: Childhood’s End with English subtitles, as it was never dubbed in the USA sadly, BD25 or 50 TBC!
- Movie 2: The Lights in the Sky are Stars with English subtitles, as it was never dubbed in the USA sadly, BD25 or 50 TBC!
- Parallel Works - Complete, but will be split in half as everywhere else, half on Movie 1′s BD, the other on Movie 2.
I do wonder what the extra materials will entail and whether they can secure the DS Ovas at least.
Here is the link

duckroll

Wait I'm confused. Don't Ghibli films do like 400-500k and Eva did 300k+.

Are you saying the gap is that big?

Here's what the anime DVD/BD industry looks like in Japan:

<1k to 2k per volume - Niche shows which you might hear recommended a lot on certain anime blogs or on forums because they're unique, but no one else ever talks about.

3k to 6k per volume - These are most shows you'll probably hear about while they're airing because people do watch them, but they're disposable entertainment which won't have much traction. Might also include more "successful" stuff from the previous category.

7k to 10k+ per volume - These are the more popular shows which have decent franchising and staying power. Shows which can be considered popular enough to retain a decent fanbase which encourages sequels or more seasons/spinoffs.

15k to 20k+ per volume - These shows are generally considered very popular stuff with some mainstream penetration. Stuff like Gundam, Code Geass, Jojo, Kuroba, and so on.

40k to 60k per volume - The cream of the crop in terms of success for TV anime. These are the shows which are so popular they are a real cultural phenomenon in Japan.

That's TV anime. Because the pricing is so insane, the barrier to entry is totally not viable for normal people to buy. A volume containing 2-3 episodes generally costs 70-90 bucks. Collecting a complete series, even a 12 episode one, costs hundreds. If we look at OVAs and movies, which are more affordable because you can get a complete film or all OVAs for a fraction of the cost of a series, they sell a lot more. Even a commercial failure of a film can expect to sell over 10k. Stuff which is remotely popular should be able to do 30-50k. Hits generally do 100k to 200k. Then beyond that there's a huge gap towards stuff which is totally something else - Ghibli stuff have insane legs and Miyazaki stuff can sell a million or more. Eva can sell over 500k.

<1k to 2k per volume - Niche shows which you might hear recommended a lot on certain anime blogs or on forums because they're unique, but no one else ever talks about.

3k to 6k per volume - These are most shows you'll probably hear about while they're airing because people do watch them, but they're disposable entertainment which won't have much traction. Might also include more "successful" stuff from the previous category.

7k to 10k+ per volume - These are the more popular shows which have decent franchising and staying power. Shows which can be considered popular enough to retain a decent fanbase which encourages sequels or more seasons/spinoffs.

15k to 20k+ per volume - These shows are generally considered very popular stuff with some mainstream penetration. Stuff like Gundam, Code Geass, and so on.

40k to 60k per volume - The cream of the crop in terms of success for TV anime. These are the shows which are so popular they are a real cultural phenomenon in Japan.

That's TV anime. Because the pricing is so insane, the barrier to entry is totally not viable for normal people to buy. A volume containing 2-3 episodes generally costs 70-90 bucks. Collecting a complete series, even a 12 episode one, costs hundreds. If we look at OVAs and movies, which are more affordable because you can get a complete film or all OVAs for a fraction of the cost of a series, they sell a lot more. Even a commercial failure of a film can expect to sell over 10k. Stuff which is remotely popular should be able to do 30-50k. Hits generally do 100k to 200k. Then beyond that there's a huge gap towards stuff which is totally something else - Ghibli stuff have insane legs and Miyazaki stuff can sell a million or more. Eva can sell over 500k.

Thank you for the breakdown :)

I never knew they were charging 70-90 bucks for a couple episodes. Its making a lot more sense now in how they make their money. Still I do wonder how much money these anime series cost to produce. Like Kill la Kill and the lower budget ones like those slice of life shows you see so often.

Also stuff like Free and Infinite stratos that sell 20k, surely thats because theres a niche that is willing to spend lots of money on the franchise right. Have those series' seriously penetrated the mainstream? 0_0.

Jarmel

Banned

15k to 20k+ per volume - These shows are generally considered very popular stuff with some mainstream penetration. Stuff like Gundam, Code Geass, and so on.

What about marketing and other stuff? I can't imagine all shows are marketed or produced at the same level. Monogatari and KLK for example were seemingly pushed harder due to being Aniplex flagship stuff compared to Valvrave or something.

Theonik

Also stuff like Free and Infinite stratos that sell 20k, surely thats because theres a niche that is willing to spend lots of money on the franchise right. Have those series' seriously penetrated the mainstream? 0_0.

It is as you said that these shows have struck a niche that is willing to spend money. Especially Free.
The mainstream doesn't really buy TV anime at all.

Serious

Geass and Gundam are both in that last category. I suppose that not all Gundams are that successful, but the franchise as a whole is big.

Geass and Gundam are both in that last category. I suppose that not all Gundams are that successful, but the franchise as a whole is big.

Yeah with Gundam it really varies. You have Gundam Age that did domething like 5k per volume and then you have Gundam SEED that did something like 60k per volume.

duckroll

Yeah Code Geass was definitely in the latter, my bad. Akito selling worse as an OVA made me forget how big it really was.

For Gundam, SEED was huge, but since then the TV series sales of Gundam seem to have dropped lower and lower though. Gundam 00 S2 dipped to the 30k region, and AGE didn't sell anything at all. Build Fighters isn't going to sell anything either. Seems most sales are going towards Unicorn instead, and the model kits and games I guess.

I guess a better example I could have used would be Jojo and Kuroba though.

fertygo

I think its also worth mentioning sales number aren't self indicator for success, few title getting sequel despite not a big seller because its does good for the source material (Manga, LN) That's also probably why Mushishi got late 2nd season.

I think the recent trend is manga/LN publisher pushing anime adaptation for their properties. The result could really bombastic. Kuroko's Basketball for example, from one of smallest title in WSJ became million seller with the anime explode. Everyone know they aiming the same with Nisekoi.

Attack on Titan that already big seller also got its potential fully maximized with anime adaptation, only One Piece that more bigger than AoT as market leader on Japan.

duckroll

Gundam SEED, Bakemonogatari, and Madoka are all >60k series. Huge, huge successes.

Since Nise though, Monogatari does about 40-60k these days. Same with Gundam 00 and Code Geass.

Stuff like Yamato 2199, Girls und Panzer, and SAO are at the ~40k level.

The original FMA sold 30-40k on average, but the Brotherhood collapsed to about 10k+ per volume.

Serious

Whats in the 40-60k band?

Monogatari? I never knew it was that popular.

Evangelion, Monogatari, Madoka, Gundam SEED/Destiny, Macross Frontier, Geass, Shingeki no Kyojin, Fate/Zero. I think K-On might be just under 40k. There's more than that, there's a really nice picture/chart of this, but I can't seem to find it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
KLK 04-05

Man these episodes had almost nothing to do with the actual overarching story although the introduction of whatever the hell
Nudist Beach
is seems interesting. I obviously hope it lives up to its namesake.

Episode 4 was really enjoyable and quite dumb. Episode 5 was just stupid, worst episode of the series so far. I only got two things to say about that new guy they introduce in this episode. 1 - annoying as hell. 2 - he's really stupid. Seems like his death flag has already been TRIGGER'd though.

I really hope Mako becomes more than just a joke sidekick character. Shes too awesome. Well shes already useful in her own right so I guess its fine. Pretty much the only way to get her more involved in a serious fashion is to slap a uniform onto her but I'm not sure I actually want that.

I got a kick out of the show absurdities like finally addressing Ryuuko talking to a uniform that nobody else can hear and how the boys get ero faces because they saw Ryuuko's panties even though they've all already seen her in way more outrageously basically nude outfits already.

Narag

KLK 04-05
I really hope Mako becomes more than just a joke sidekick character. Shes too awesome. Well shes already useful in her own right so I guess its fine. Pretty much the only way to get her more involved in a serious fashion is to slap a uniform onto her but I'm not sure I actually want that.

Watch episode 7.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
SNAFU 03-04

Holy crap. Saika is the best. Not even the supposedly stoic MC can resist from being turned on around that beauty.

I wish more shows had tennis episodes, I always seem to enjoy them, Prince of Tennis inspired trick shots are always good for a few laughs. Poor Hachiman was the hero and nobody cared, dude is living a rough life. Well maybe it won't be so rough with that harem slowly forming around him. But it probably will.

Kazzy

Eh, Kill la Kill is only bad if you were chronically overhyped and are comparing it to Gurren Lagann at every turn. By any other standards it's a super-enjoyable series.

Not really, it just lacks pacing, interesting characters, and in some cases, animation.

duckroll

http://kaze-3.com/#news

A press release concerning the movie production business will be held.

Beginning with Mister Yoshiyuki TOMINO, the original author and director of the anime MOBILE SUITS GUNDAM, the company OOKAZE NO OKORUSAMA represents several creators. Its goal is to create “Movies based on Japanese manga and animation from Hollywood to the world”. For that, a business partnership will begin with LEGACY EFFECTS.

A press conference will be held on the 21st of January. On this occasion, director TOMINO will announce the first big project of this partnership.

Uh oh. I'm scared. ^^;

Legacy Effects is the practical effects company which most recently did this at Comic Con: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVpM3TNTVFY

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not really, it just lacks pacing, interesting characters, and in some cases, animation.

Are you talking about KLK? Or Gurren Lagann?

I swear I'm watching a different show. The characters are more interesting than everybody in GL,
I really did not enjoy any part of the show post timeskip
and I think it looks quite good.

Pacing definitely seems like its heading to be a mess from where I'm at right now. But I'm enjoying it a lot more than Gurren Lagann so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom