• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's not really an English keyword in this case, since both of these "Regalia" are a translation of the Japanese "Shinki".

...Which kind of bugs me as a translation, to be honest. I can see what they're going for (the only notable use of the word "shinki" IRL is referring to the Three Sacred Treasures of Japan, also known as the Imperial Regalia, so "regalia" springs out as a fairly unique-sounding one-word English equivalent), but it's awkward because the words themselves have completely different meanings. "Regalia" focuses on the treasures as emblems of a royal/imperial family, whereas "shinki" literally means "vessel/tool of the gods", so it's clearly more focused on their status as religious relics.

I don't think either of the uses of "shinki" in Nobunaga the Fool or Noragami are intended to be specific references to the Three Sacred Treasures or have any particular connection to royalty - they're just using the word for its actual meaning (hell, in Noragami the Shinki are literally tools used by gods), so "Regalia" seems out of place as a translation.

Not to mention that "Regalia" is a plural word with no singular form, so it's just plain awkward as a way of referring to things that usually appear individually =/

I never knew that was the other definition of Regalia, the way they use it in Nobunaga the Fool was always how I imagined it to be, so seeing it in Noragami made me think it was just being used incorrectly or something.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you want to save KyoAni send them a really really good LN for their competition. I mean you've seen the standards of the stories that get chosen for animation so it can't be that hard to best them. Add a bit of pandering of course, they need merchandise money!

KyoAni went from being a chef at a 5 star restaurant to flipping burgers at Wendys.

full%20metal%20panic:fumoffu_85_1280.jpg

the-melancholy-of-haruhi-suzumiya-dual-screen-multi4-3.jpg

to this

I miss ye old KyoAni....RIP in pieces.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Looks the same to me. Well produced show with generic designs + Adaptation of awful light novel -> Well produced show with generic designs + Adaptation of awful light novel.

What am I missing here? :)

Likeable male characters?

EDIT: Oh wait, Tamako Market had the bird. Ignore this post.

Space Dandy 04

Zombies in space? Not even October. Creator must have wanted a zombie-centric episode. It wasn't bad, just not as good as the previous 3. QT not being impervious was funny.

Midonin

selector infected WIXOSS came out of nowhere, and it sounds like something my antivirus would tell me to look into. Though the idea of girls with cards suggests it's sort of a dark mirror of Fantasista Doll? Looks interesting enough.

Nordicus

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 24-30

Bit of an unintended marathon there. It feels like it's just getting better, I can't honestly remember much of the plot of the original anime anymore. The plot of that one was probably a bit messy

To give just one bit of criticism, the sudden shifts to slapstick/gag humor during serious moments where even the art changes, are incredibly annoying most of the time. Hellsing Ultimate did something like this, but in that show it didn't quite create sudden mood whiplash, the comedy was generally funnier, and the comedy visuals were more appealing.

Really though, that's my only issue with this show and it's largely a minor one.

HappinessCharge Precure info

Courtesy of /a/

>Her image color is yellow.

>The third Precure.

>Megumi's friend and classmate.
>She has this snuggly and fluffy atmosphere about her; she is a soothing personality that calms her surrounding.
>When Megumi and Hime quarrel, she goes between them and calms them.
>She is serenity and magnanimity personified.

>Her home is a lunch store (bento-ya), so she loves eating and making food.
>Saying "Food is the source of happiness" like a meddlesome aunt, she urges any child that feels down to eat something.

>"When you're hungry, delicious food gets even more delicious". With this as her reason, she does various exercises such as running at her own pace.

>After accidentally witnessing Megumi and Hime's transformation, she becomes a Precure herself.
>"Without peace, food cannot be enjoyed slowly and deliciously."
>While her origin was a result of chance, she fights the Saiark with this strong conviction.

>Also saying that "Eating means receiving life, so nature is very important!", she gladly helps Gaia, the god of all living beings.

If she's not the new designated fat one of the Cure fanbase, we have a problem

Edit:
It's actually right there in the text of the JP image you posted, the translation just left it out for whatever reason.

"A friend of Megumi's from her year. In the same class. A "soothing type" (iyashi-kei) who calms her surroundings with a soft and fluffy atmosphere. Has a slightly chubby figure."

Joe Molotov

Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo 13

Imagine, a good chunk of this episode communicating with man booty. Clearly the dream that everyone has.

That glance from Riko's mom and Kanon's mom. CONNECTIONS!

I'm glad you're still watching this show. Kiruminzoo was a total cutenuke.

Courtesy of /a/

>Her image color is yellow.

>The third Precure.

>Megumi's friend and classmate.
>She has this snuggly and fluffy atmosphere about her; she is a soothing personality that calms her surrounding.
>When Megumi and Hime quarrel, she goes between them and calms them.
>She is serenity and magnanimity personified.

>Her home is a lunch store (bento-ya), so she loves eating and making food.
>Saying "Food is the source of happiness" like a meddlesome aunt, she urges any child that feels down to eat something.

>"When you're hungry, delicious food gets even more delicious". With this as her reason, she does various exercises such as running at her own pace.

>After accidentally witnessing Megumi and Hime's transformation, she becomes a Precure herself.
>"Without peace, food cannot be enjoyed slowly and deliciously."
>While her origin was a result of chance, she fights the Saiark with this strong conviction.

>Also saying that "Eating means receiving life, so nature is very important!", she gladly helps Gaia, the god of all living beings.

As long as she is not a crybaby or useless yellow , all will be good.
So far so good i guess.

fertygo

Welp, time running out for submitting my AOTY post.

Two thing that bugging me :

1. I'm uncertain to put show recurring show like JoJo and Girl und Panzer or not, I think I'm already putting them so high and make my point last year, maybe its better to serve the spot for other title. I'll put Side-A on there though since I don't vote it last year and just recently watch it.

2. Argh those few spot for Movie/OVA selection.

CorvoSol

Welp, time running out for submitting my AOTY post.

Two thing that bugging me :

1. I'm uncertain to put show recurring show like JoJo and Girl und Panzer or not, I think I'm already putting them so high and make my point last year, maybe its better to serve the spot for other title. I'll put Side-A on there though since I don't vote it last year and just recently watch it.

2. Argh those few spot for Movie/OVA selection.

I actually felt like I had too much space for movies and OVAs, since I like, never watch those. I was all "So I watched Wolf Children and what else in this category all year? Nothing?" Had to really reach to find things, haha.

fertygo

I actually felt like I had too much space for movies and OVAs, since I like, never watch those. I was all "So I watched Wolf Children and what else in this category all year? Nothing?" Had to really reach to find things, haha.

Well you don't watch that much of those!

I have about 6 equally worthy candidate for that 3 spot.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, Chuuni, Tamako, Hyouka and KnK are very high quality projects, completely different from their usual stuff.

The Utena of our times.

These are all shows that explore different subject matter unrelated to the others. The only similarities are LN origins and character designs.

cajunator

Banned
Felt like my sarcasm detector activated all of a sudden ....

This whole thing is silly.
KyoAni has always worked on projects like these. Its what they are. Its what they obviously like to do. This is their identity for a few decades now. Why do people expect them to change?

cnet128

Banned

It's actually right there in the text of the JP image you posted, the translation just left it out for whatever reason.

めぐみの同級生で友人。同じクラス。ほんわか、ふわふわした空気で周囲をなごませる癒し系。ややぽっちゃり体系。

"A friend of Megumi's from her year. In the same class. A 'soothing type' (iyashi-kei) who calms her surroundings with a soft and fluffy atmosphere. Has a slightly chubby figure."

Midonin

Soni Ani 4

Huh, so Sonico's guitar has nearly as much emotion put into it as Gitah. I liked the message at the end, too. Though every time I see Fuuri and Suzu, I just keep wondering when Ena's going to make a cameo appearance.

"A friend of Megumi's from her year. In the same class. A "soothing type" (iyashi-kei) who calms her surroundings with a soft and fluffy atmosphere. Has a slightly chubby figure."

Fuck yes. Fuck yes! FUCK YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom