• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagami

What makes it especially bad?

Animation is terrible, story is dumb, voices (at least the Japanese voices) sound like they were recorded in a garage, the last episode goes off the rails in a way that makes School Days look tame, but does it almost entirely via villains monologuing absurd things rather than the kind of actually entertaining presentation School Days has, so it's crazy bad rather than crazy good, and the whole thing is only 5 episodes long so it's easy to recommend people just give it a watch.

Servant ranking time:

FSN Archer> F/Z Rider> Gilgamesh> FSN Lancer> F/Z Lancer> FSN Fake Assassin> F/Z Caster> FSN Caster> FZ Berserker> Saber> FSN Berserker> FZ/FSN True Assassin

No Apocrypha, Avenger, Hollow crap.

Pretty good list.

Gilgamesh > FZ Rider > FSN Archer > FSN Lancer > FZ Lancer > FSN Fake Assassin > FSN Caster > FSN Berserker > FZ Caster > FSN Rider > Saber > FZ Berserker > FSN True Assassin > FZ Assassin

Nobunaga ZA Fool 04

7I7JEDll.jpg

Of course no engagement party just wouldn't be right without a mecha.

Not bad. Some slight setting things up for the hopefully historic plot they'll be following, right?

wonzo

Banned
GBF 14-15

gundambf15.jpg

The CEO pissed me off so hard with that dick move but I'll forgive him (and the last few lackluster eps) after that fight with Fellini. That Fenice flashback/growth scene, man. ;_;

about damn time the dad appeared!

CorvoSol

FMP? Fumoffu! 3

So this is the positive side to when Chidori's tsundere nature causing problems for Sousuke: she does apologize when all's said and done, and does realize she's royally screwed things up for him, and for his part he forgives her because he doesn't really care that much. It's always worth noting that Sagara and Chidori's romance is in spite of the numerous things that rise up to prevent it. It's about as illfated a romance as it gets short of death, but the thing that endears them to me is that both of them have to overcome their personal shortcomings to make it work.

Wizard Barristers 3
I guess they are adding conspiracy to the list. In terms of a legal system, the Magic court probably as good as the one in Phoenix Wright if Wright wasn't around plus being a whole lot more prejudice. If they are a magic court, they really should consider hiring magic baliffs instead of relying on the Defense to stop the defendant.

CorvoSol

I might just rewatch FMP after Gun x Sword. I feel nostalgic for the good ol animu.

It's so good. Show is like my wholesome, comfort anime I go back to when I need to feel good again.

Fumoffu is so much fun. Hopefully a little of that is in FMP

The original FMP does contain comedic episodes, usually situated between the longer story arcs that serve to kinda cleanse your palette from the darker side of Sousuke's world. There are some episodes like that in The Second Raid, but I warn you that The Second Raid is a considerably darker, more serious work. The sense of humor doesn't leave the show altogether, mind you, but the second half of TSR is pretty different from Fumoffu.

FMP? Fumoffu!! 4

Kyoko looks adorable in her little secret agent outfit with her black bows.

Kaname comes dangerously close to admitting to Sousuke how she really feels about him
she never does that on screen, though she does in Sigma
, and Sousuke, for his part, learns a great deal about being sensitive toward her needs. The other half of the episode is wacky art project hijinks.

This episode also introduces Bontakun as a unit for SRW. It'll probably be a shoe-in for SRWZ3.

wonzo

Banned
Wizard Barrister 3

I was holding back my criticism of how laissez-faire the magical court was when it came to handing down severe rulings as just an extension Japan's corrupt legal & judicial system but in this episode it seemed to extend to pretty much every other facet of the court. What a joke of an institution.

Oh and don't even get me started on the creepiness of that part, dammit Umetsu.

Nobunagun 02

Hm... the fact she's a gun-user and this comes up:

If she wasn't the main character, she would be triggering a death flag, I'm sure. Also, no matter how much you cover that up with "friendship", Asao x Sio is totes a thing.

cajunator

Banned
Wizard Barrister 3

I was holding back my criticism of how laissez-faire the magical court was when it came to handing down severe rulings as just an extension Japan's corrupt legal & judicial system but in this episode it seemed to extend to pretty much every other facet of the court. What a joke of an institution.

Oh and don't even get me started on the creepiness of that part, dammit Umetsu.

Umetsu just cant help himself.

Gazoinks

Rozen Maiden 2013 9

Suiseki shows up to help and immediately ruins everything.
Well done. Glad to see the story starting to move forward at a faster pace. Four more episodes, so we're heading towards the eventual climax now.

Also, could someone who knows anything about the original show explain Shinku's connection to Hanaichigo? All I got from the first episode is that she has a really annoying voice.

Nisekoi 03

ffYBaB6l.jpg

The SHAFTness has been a bit subdued in this episode but it was still an enjoyable episode nonetheless.

Kinda excited, cause next episode will start adapting vol.2 which I haven't read yet.

Dresden

Rozen Maiden 2013 9

Also, could someone who knows anything about the original show explain Shinku's connection to Hanaichigo? All I got from the first episode is that she has a really annoying voice.

Never watched the original show, but what I got out of Zurückspulen is that Hanaichigo was the first doll to show Shinku there could be something more than just conflict in the Alice Game.

Branduil

Just to clarify, Rozen Maiden Zeppelinpanzer is a sequel to the original manga series and has no relation to the first two anime seasons.

CorvoSol

FMP? Fumoffu! 5

This episode introduces us to Issei Tsubaki, Sousuke's hilariously incompetent rival at high school. In it Sousuke and Issei are forced to help out the janitor to make up for injuring him. Things get . . . ugly from there.

zeroshiki

Rozen Maiden 2013 9

Suiseki shows up to help and immediately ruins everything.
Well done. Glad to see the story starting to move forward at a faster pace. Four more episodes, so we're heading towards the eventual climax now.

They're sisters and Hinaichigo is super attached to Shinku.

FMP? Fumoffu! 5

This episode introduces us to Issei Tsubaki, Sousuke's hilariously incompetent rival at high school. In it Sousuke and Issei are forced to help out the janitor to make up for injuring him. Things get . . . ugly from there.

The janitor episode is one of the only Fumoffu episodes I can never rewatch. What they did to the poor janitor
's fish
is something I can't get over.

MartyStu

Did Penguin Drum ever end up being worth it? I think I stopped watching halfway through. I have been considering possibly picking it up again...

Did Penguin Drum ever end up being worth it? I think I stopped watching halfway through. I have been considering possibly picking it up again...

It's a pretty good show. The plotting is messy and the abuse of flashbacks gets pretty obnoxious, but it's still worth watching.

CorvoSol

The janitor episode is one of the only Fumoffu episodes I can never rewatch. What they did to the poor janitor
's fish
is something I can't get over.

Rule of funny. Dude bites a grenade and doesn't even blink. It's pretty clear that
the fish
was as demonic as he was.

FMP? Fumoffu! 6

While not the funniest episode of Fumoffu (which is undeniably the Rugby episode), this episode is actually my favorite. And no, not the part about the pervert in the silly mask. The second half of the episode is all about going into a scary, abandoned hospital and checking it out. Chidori is terrified of the many obviously paranormal things going on within the hospital, while Sousuke is largely unphased. I'm not entirely sure that it is because Sousuke has no concept of ghosts, since some materials suggest Sousuke is to some small degree Islamic, but more because Sousuke's fear of the living far exceeds any fear of the dead.

The reason this is my favorite episode is because at the very end of the episode we find out something that has been fairly implied up till now, but never explicitly said:
the only thing that frightens Sousuke is the thought of harm coming to Kaname.
This is also the reason I feel you shouldn't ever skip over Fumoffu: because it's essential to the development of Sousuke and Kaname's relationship. In the first series they're just rescue based romance, but its Fumoffu that really shows the way they change each other, come to feel for one another, and adds the extra weight to the events which come after Fumoffu. Indeed, I think that part of The Second Raid's impact
namely in separating Sousuke from Kaname
would feel very lost without the build up that Fumoffu gives it.

In the first half of the episode we also get some stuff that adds into the fan theory that Sousuke is a member of the Whispered. Namely
his invention of the Bontakun miniature Arm-Slave. Leonard, who is a brilliant Whispered, brags that his Alistairs are the smallest Arm-Slaves in the world, and that miniaturization of key components was a pain in the ass to develop. What really he ought to be bragging about is that the Alistairs are autonomous, since the Bonta-Kun class is technically the smallest Arm-Slave, and it actually keeps in line with the idea of having a human pilot (Arm-Slave is supposed to mean something like Armored Master Slave System, or something like that).

So yeah, I love this episode.

wonzo

Banned
Yamato 2199 15

yamato219915.jpg

This episode was a good reminder that Gamilian Empire was still ultimately an incredibly horrific and brutal one at that, rather fitting after the past few episodes humanising them. The battle at the end was awesome but the
withdrawal at the end
just seemed to stupid and dumb on Domel's behalf, he would've been in the right to refuse given the Yamato was on its last legs.

I'm guessing the
Desler on that ship was just a body-double or something as I can't see someone like him going out so easily.

Jarmel

Banned
K-ON!! + Movie-
I wasn't really a fan of the first season. It felt boring at times and overly dramatic at others, pandering, and not much else there to hold my attention. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I had no interest in seeing a second season. I decided to watch it though because of how widely praised the second season is, and that sometimes I need to step outside of my own comfort zone to see shows of genres other than mechs and action. What I found was a second season that works much better than anything in the first season. The comedic timing was better, the directorial level was higher, the dramatic moments were earned, the art looking leagues better, and there to be a depth in both the characters by themselves but also as a group.
What was amazing while watching the movie was not how great the movie itself looked, but rather how well the 2nd season holds up to the movie. I had looked at an episode I missed in the first season and it was sort of shocking how much better the second season looked in comparison. There was more detail in the background art, a better sense of depth, and more fluid character animation. Most studios couldn't pump out those sorts of visuals even if it was a movie, and KyoAni did it for a 26 episode TV series. The movie was better looking than the TV show though, as it utilized more depth of field shots to give more depth to the characters and it also utilized better lighting. Some of the shots in the movie really had this sort of surreal effect to them due to how well animated they were. One thing about the show in general is that it's pretty laidback in general and this comes through in the animation a good portion of the times through contrast of the characters such as how expressive Yui is compared to Mio or Azu-cat. There's also a lot of background shots that help to contextualize the school and make the school a real part of the show. So many shows while based in high schools, never really give the audience a good look at the place. The school is just another setting while some other actions take place. In K-ON!! though, the school becomes an important element to the audience, just as it is to the Keionbu. There were a couple of times where I thought the art looked off, but overall the show really is gorgeous. The show really made effective use of light, such as light rays, to really enhance the atmosphere in many scenes.
ibnfgdo9VqSiHX.jpg

This was a really powerful scene and it's directed so well.
I really liked the background music, much moreso than the Keionbu's actual music. I liked Happy Languidness, Patrol of Stroll, and Ringo Ringo Ringo Ame a lot; the last one of which, really captured Yui's personality. I did think the final song, Touched by an Angel (Tenshi ni Fureta yo!) was really phenomenal though and captured the melancholy of growing up as well as parting ways.
iJYRMD2Vj9B0a.jpg

Mugi is too cool for school
Now for the characters, I really did like the whole crew. The only couple I think sort of got shafted a bit were Ritsu and Mio, especially Mio. Mugi got all dem Mugi Power scenes. Mio sort of felt left behind in this regard as the spotlight shifted to Azu-cat who played the straight man more often. I do think the group dynamics are really fantastic in the show though as everybody plays off each other fairly well. One thing I really liked were the episodes and scenes where only a couple of members would interact with each other such as the one between Ritsu and Mugi, as it was a good way of fleshing out the individual characters and their relationship with other particular characters in the group. Also the more time dedicated to Sawako, the better. I also sort of grew attached to Yui a large part of which was Ringo Ringo Ringo Ame, but also because she's sorta like me in how slothful I can be to do things at times. I really think the show did a great job capturing Azu-cat's insecurities about the others graduating.
i00bgEaBAoPYX.jpg

Gameboy vision makes its return, now with extra bestiality.
For me, the best stuff was near the end, when the group realized that this would be their last performance at this and that. The concert at the school festival for example was so emotional not only because of what it represents but also how involved the audience members and Sawako got. The directing really kicked it into overdrive and really captured those nostalgia feels. The show encapsulated a very important period in these girls' lives and the idea of going on, is something that almost everybody faces at one point or another. The show doesn't overly aggrandize it but rather builds it up just enough to be impactful. I recently graduated from college so I fully understand the feelings of letting go from one setting and saying goodbye to your colleagues isn't easy. The scenes at the end were earned, despite how dramatic they were, because of how close the Keionbu was as a group and the effort put in towards time progression. The show put in a lot of work to show how the year was flying by and how these times would have to end, one way or another. The scenes weren't overly sappy either, there weren't people breaking down and crying left and right, but rather a sort of wistfulness over the episodes and movie.
iDlC4FqmYuJqa.jpg

So I guess the idea of foreigners having big noses is indeed a thing.
I did have a sort of issue with the movie as I felt it retreads too much of the same ground the TV series covered near the end, and I wish it was placed at a different time period. The excursion to England feels way too short as result. I would have liked more scenes of them going to clubs or something. While I was watching it, at times I felt like I should have watched the movie sooner, before the end of the TV series, so the climax would have more impact. It felt like saying goodbye twice, although I absolutely loved the classroom concert scene.
Overall, I really did have fun with the show and the melancholic atmosphere of the last bunch of episodes, gives the series a lot of depth I thought it was missing earlier. I saw some people earlier mentioning how they wanted a third season of the show and I strongly disagree with that sentiment. It's done. The show set out to depict a group of girls in one period of their lives and I think KyoAni nailed that. The goodbyes weren't just for the characters in the show.

zeroshiki

The K-On movie came out more than a year after season 2 so it was more like saying hi again to some close friends rather than retreading ground.

I don't think there ever will be a continuation. Yamada Naoko has shown no interest in continuing past HS (she's actually said the opposite! that the girls should exist as HS girls forever) and I think that's the correct decision as well.

The K-On movie came out more than a year after season 2 so it was more like saying hi again to some close friends rather than retreading ground.

I don't think there ever will be a continuation. Yamada Naoko has shown no interest in continuing past HS (she's actually said the opposite! that the girls should exist as HS girls forever) and I think that's the correct decision as well.

I would like a 2-3 episode OVA on the Highschool and College manga. I definitely agree that at the moment there is no hope for a series 3. I would even settle for a movie based around the last two.

Please :(

wonzo

Banned
Yamato 2199 16

yamato219916.jpg

I always knew that whiley ass lookin' motherfucker was up to no good, just a shama Shima went for a hand shot instead of something a bit further up. :(

Mik317

Gintama Shinsengumi Arc

Holy fuck balls this show knows how get serious and awesome in a hurry.

I think more people need to give this show/series a chance.

Yamato END

Going to have an actual write-up when it isn't 2am. Had some problems with the show but it was definitely a fun ride the whole time. However, before I get some much needed sleep I have to ask
was the Iscandarian woman supposed to be pregnant with Kodai's brother's child? That seemed to be what was implied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom