• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Yamato END

Going to have an actual write-up when it isn't 2am. Had some problems with the show but it was definitely a fun ride the whole time. However, before I get some much needed sleep I have to ask
was the Iscandarian woman supposed to be pregnant with Kodai's brother's child? That seemed to be what was implied.
Yup.
In the original, Kodai's bro apparently survived and was just chillin' on Iscandar the whole time. Which is both awful and amazingly hilarious.

Everytime somebody says please, KyoAni wastes its potential in yet another mediocre anime.

Coincidentally this infuriates Gabe Newell, who proceeds to delay Half Life 3.

Good thing I neither care for Gabe or Half-life. I'll happily take a mediocore anime series over a bad game franchise.

:)

On that note though, I do not want more Tamako :p

Vito

Banned
selector infected WIXOSS TV anime PV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtADbZv7HaM directed by Takuya Satō at J.C. Staff, starts in April

bgwide.jpg

Staff:

Original: LRIG
Director: Takuya Satō
Series Composition: Mari Okada
Character Design: Kyuta Sakai
Art Director: Kentaro Akiyama (Studio Pablo)
Color Setting: Yukiko Ito
Composite Director: Shingo Fukuyo
Editing: Masahiro Goto (Real-T)
Music: Maiko Iuchi
Sound Director: Yoshikazu Iwanami
Animation Production: J.C. STAFF
OP: Kanon Wakeshima

Cast:

Ai Kakuma
Ayane Sakura
Ai Kayano
Akasaki Chinatsu
Asami Seto
Yūsuke Kobayashi

Misaki Kuno
Ayako Kawasumi
Rie Kugimiya

Furyous

Witchcraft Works 4

ovmYLDR.jpg

This is a completely original episode. Who was the familiar brushing their teeth?

Sekai Sefuku

This anime isn't nearly as headache inducing as I thought it was. The characters aren't nearly as cliche as I thought they would be.

zeroshiki

Have you read any of the LN? I haven't heard any indepth impressions of it.

Unfortunately no (I don't like reading LN much) but I have read impressions! (They're not very encouraging)

I trust Takemoto and Gatoh to produce a comedy that I will enjoy. I mean, Takemoto took the mess Yamakan left with Lucky Star and turned it into a fun interesting series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The K-On movie came out more than a year after season 2 so it was more like saying hi again to some close friends rather than retreading ground.

I don't think there ever will be a continuation. Yamada Naoko has shown no interest in continuing past HS (she's actually said the opposite! that the girls should exist as HS girls forever) and I think that's the correct decision as well.
I'm sure when the next Tamako Market project bombs, they'll have no choice!

Gintama Shinsengumi Arc

Holy fuck balls this show knows how get serious and awesome in a hurry.

I think more people need to give this show/series a chance.
It's really daunting to get into because of the episode count. I still think the first movie gives a good taste of what the show is, even if it doesn't have a lot of the build up required to make it all pay off.

Thoraxes

He eventually does drop his girlfriend, and when he does, he does it like a boss.

Just FYI, in S2 Taichi's nickname from sensei is Eyelashes instead of Eyebrows, which is probably just a translation thing.
Oh man this is gonna be great.
You'll learn the error of your ways soon enough.

Team Taichi is the only correct team.
I'll believe in you. Arata is slowly falling off the hill as we speak.
The show reached its nadir around episode 14 or 15, I've forgotten which exactly, some of the best episodes are found in the second half, and it resolves in an explosive if not wholly satisfying way. So, maybe? I suppose it depends on why you stopped watching.

For me, the strength of individual episodes and the ultimate way things tied together after all the twists were said and done was enough to overcome the lack of a clear unifying direction throughout, among other problems. But I know not everyone felt that way.

That's how I felt too. I thought the individual episodes were satisfying, and while the end had a lot more aver-arching story movement to it than the first half, I felt that the payoff was absolutely worth it. Definitely one of my favorites.

Gazoinks

It's really daunting to get into because of the episode count.

Yeah, it's scary! I think it helps to build up a rhythm. I'm watching on episode a day, which helps break down the show into manageable chunks. Plus it'll make it last a reeeeeally long time.

Next up: One a day of Sazae-san! It'll only take 16 years!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
K-ON!! + Movie-
The show put in a lot of work to show how the year was flying by and how these times would have to end, one way or another. The scenes weren't overly sappy either, there weren't people breaking down and crying left and right, but rather a sort of wistfulness over the episodes and movie.
The last few episodes, and even the "extra" episodes, did a lot to hammer the point home. It's funny how many moments in school are built around saying good bye.

I did have a sort of issue with the movie as I felt it retreads too much of the same ground the TV series covered near the end, and I wish it was placed at a different time period. The excursion to England feels way too short as result. I would have liked more scenes of them going to clubs or something. While I was watching it, at times I felt like I should have watched the movie sooner, before the end of the TV series, so the climax would have more impact. It felt like saying goodbye twice, although I absolutely loved the classroom concert scene.
Keep in mind, of course, that the typical audience would have had time between one and the other. I actually liked how they wrapped it into the last goodbye, but I could see it feeling a bit samey.

Overall, I really did have fun with the show and the melancholic atmosphere of the last bunch of episodes, gives the series a lot of depth I thought it was missing earlier. I saw some people earlier mentioning how they wanted a third season of the show and I strongly disagree with that sentiment. It's done. The show set out to depict a group of girls in one period of their lives and I think KyoAni nailed that. The goodbyes weren't just for the characters in the show.
I think it works because they had a through line built around the entire season, which is clearly a change from season 1 which was just trying to flesh out jokes about girls being in a band. And it's funny, as almost pointless Asuza was when she was first introduced, she basically helped anchor the entire second season and provided the pivot point needed for the whole graduation thing to be as impactful as it was.

Given that there's someone going through Aria the Origination at the moment, it's interesting thinking about how they both handle their graduations/goodbyes. They both work because their entire premise is built around the characters moving onto the next part of their lives.

Not if they're still rolling in all that fujoshi money!
Well, Yamada needs a show doesn't she?! lol

sonicmj1

Yeah, it's scary! I think it helps to build up a rhythm. I'm watching on episode a day, which helps break down the show into manageable chunks. Plus it'll make it last a reeeeeally long time.

I hope you're accounting for the new episodes produced each week with that projection.

Jarmel

Banned
I think it works because they had a through line built around the entire season, which is clearly a change from season 1 which was just trying to flesh out jokes about girls being in a band. And it's funny, as almost pointless Asuza was when she was first introduced, she basically helped anchor the entire second season and provided the pivot point needed for the whole graduation thing to be as impactful as it was.

Given that there's someone going through Aria the Origination at the moment, it's interesting thinking about how they both handle their graduations/goodbyes. They both work because their entire premise is built around the characters moving onto the next part of their lives.

It's really surprising as Azu-cat is the 2nd protagonist, if you will, of the 2nd season. As you stated, she really grounds the graduation stuff. She usurps Mio's place to a large extent. I thought Azu-cat was extraneous in the first season as well, but she's really critical in the 2nd.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's really surprising as Azu-cat is the 2nd protagonist, if you will, of the 2nd season. As you stated, she really grounds the graduation stuff. She usurps Mio's place to a large extent. I thought Azu-cat was extraneous in the first season as well, but she's really critical in the 2nd.
Yeah, it just goes to show how much work they put into a second season, especially given the source material. I mean, yeah, it's an adaptation - but I would almost consider it an original work.

It's a bit too bad that lightning didn't strike twice with Tamako Market though. I just wonder if going off beat and trying to be more comedic hurt them there. In some ways, it felt a lot like the first season of K-ON.

lol

You know, I wonder if that's just like The Simpsons inasmuch as you just grow up into whatever season of the show is on the air right now. I also wonder if Japanese fanboys like to say that the first five seasons of Sazae-san are the best ones.

zeroshiki

Yeah, it just goes to show how much work they put into a second season, especially given the source material. I mean, yeah, it's an adaptation - but I would almost consider it an original work.

It's a bit too bad that lightning didn't strike twice with Tamako Market though. I just wonder if going off beat and trying to be more comedic hurt them there. In some ways, it felt a lot like the first season of K-ON.

K-On might as well be an original work from the 2nd season on. The source is garbage and Kakifly better be praying to his Yamada Naoka shrine every day for the millions he got from it.

lol

You know, I wonder if that's just like The Simpsons inasmuch as you just grow up into whatever season of the show is on the air right now. I also wonder if Japanese fanboys like to say that the first five seasons of Sazae-san are the best ones.

Unlike the Simpsons, Sazae-san has always been a kids' show and it hasn't moved on from that, I don't think. It has never been edgy or cool or whatever. Its a really nice relaxing show though. I wouldn't seek it out myself to watch but I'd watch it if it were one (which is probably what most Japanese do).

Do they have any Light Novel series aimed at the ladies?

Free!

Jarmel

Banned
Star Driver-4
So I guess I'm doing that rewatch after all. Anyway, really slow episode. I guess it's to develop the relationship between Wako and Takuto. Looks like I was wrong earlier, in that there wasn't a fight this episode. There are some hints to later plot points such as Takuto's previous personality, as well as some explanations as to what is happening.

The character art also took a hit. Did I mention that I hate how long their necks are?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
K-On might as well be an original work from the 2nd season on. The source is garbage and Kakifly better be praying to his Yamada Naoka shrine every day for the millions he got from it.
I will say, I almost didn't mind K-ON Kollege, even if they all go to the same school and live together. lol

Unlike the Simpsons, Sazae-san has always been a kids' show and it hasn't moved on from that, I don't think. It has never been edgy or cool or whatever. Its a really nice relaxing show though. I wouldn't seek it out myself to watch but I'd watch it if it were one (which is probably what most Japanese do).
Ah, so you stop watching it eventually. I'm trying to think of something that has run continuously for that long for kids, but I can't really come up with anything similar to that.

Gazoinks

Ah, so you stop watching it eventually. I'm trying to think of something that has run continuously for that long for kids, but I can't really come up with anything similar to that.

Funnily enough, Sesame Street started in the same year as Sazae-san, two months apart. Different sort of show though, so it doesn't really count.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Funnily enough, Sesame Street started in the same year as Sazae-san, two months apart. Different sort of show though, so it doesn't really count.
Hah, yeah.

Come to think of it, most children's shows that aren't just purely educational seem to disappear after a few years. I think they're still making Spongebob episodes now, but I don't know if people care any more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
firehawk: Urusei. Yatsura.
I mean for Americans.

Sazae-san is at 2300 episodes or something and still going. Although wiki lists it at like 7000 episodes for some reason. The Simpsons is really the only thing that even compares to that, and it's really a drop in the bucket.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil Episode 3:

Dear lord is this series getting stupid in very bad ways. Who would have guessed a magical rampage in front of the Court of Magic would be put down quickly? Of course, the Court kind of needs to hire some bailiffs. Anyway, I am most surprised they waited until episode 3 to introduce the magical conspiracy of vague evil. Also, Cecile Sudo is really starting to become a Mary Sue. Also, all the familiars need to die, now. I'll give this one more episode before I decide to keep or drop it.

cnet128

Banned
Just finally realized we have two shows with Regalias as major themes this season, how odd. (Nobunaga the Fool and now Noragami).

anime seems to have a list of english keywords to use in their anime. Most of the time for comedic effect.

Well, it's not really an English keyword in this case, since both of these "Regalia" are a translation of the Japanese "Shinki".

...Which kind of bugs me as a translation, to be honest. I can see what they're going for (the only notable use of the word "shinki" IRL is referring to the Three Sacred Treasures of Japan, also known as the Imperial Regalia, so "regalia" springs out as a fairly unique-sounding one-word English equivalent), but it's awkward because the words themselves have completely different meanings. "Regalia" focuses on the treasures as emblems of a royal/imperial family, whereas "shinki" literally means "vessel/tool of the gods", so it's clearly more focused on their status as religious relics.

I don't think either of the uses of "shinki" in Nobunaga the Fool or Noragami are intended to be specific references to the Three Sacred Treasures or have any particular connection to royalty - they're just using the word for its actual meaning (hell, in Noragami the Shinki are literally tools used by gods), so "Regalia" seems out of place as a translation.

Not to mention that "Regalia" is a plural word with no singular form, so it's just plain awkward as a way of referring to things that usually appear individually =/

Wolf Children

vJYNU9ql.jpg

Well, that was certainly better than expected and that's with expectations set by all the kind words for it in here.

Psch, a still image doesn't do that scene justice. You gotta gif it like I did =p

ioKcHu6clDAV0.gif

(I'd take any excuse to repost that, it's too adorable)

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

I couldn't help but be bugged that the main girl, Makoto, looks just like Shinji from Eva, just with boobs.

...So Nadia, then?

K-ON!! + Movie-

ibhXGhwRlefg2.jpg

hnnnnnnngggggg Ritsu

selector infected WIXOSS TV anime PV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtADbZv7HaM directed by Takuya Satō at J.C. Staff, starts in April

Ooh, this looks interesting. I like the character designs.

And this is a girls-fighting-with-cards series? I suspect it's going to beat Fantasista Doll at least =p

RIP Ichiro Nagai

Kinda weird with Space Dandy & Hunter x Hunter still going on. :(

...Well, that certainly makes episode 2 of Space Dandy more poignant in retrospect...

Defuser

Phi Brain S3 ep 16 - 17

SSSSSHIIIIIIIEEEEETTT!!! After 63 episodes, this plot twist makes it all worth it. It answers everything regarding this whole show and season 1 and it all makes sense. I can't wait to see how shit is gonna go down for the remaining 7 episodes, this season really looks like a finale for the whole series.

Kagami

Tamako felt like the first season of K-ON to you? Huh.
For me it was the opposite--Tamako felt like they tried to skip the first season of K-ON and jump right into the second, with slow-paced character exploration of characters I wasn't attached to yet, instead of starting with accessible humor to draw me into it.

For me it was the opposite--Tamako felt like they tried to skip the first season of K-ON and jump right into the second, with slow-paced character exploration of characters I wasn't attached to yet, instead of starting with accessible humor to draw me into it.

I completely agree with this. So much of Tamako felt like it was unearned, like they skipped all the parts that got us interested in the characters. It was a poorly executed show that isn't anywhere near the quality of K-On.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I felt like the Dela/prince stuff was all the comedy moments from K-ON to me. That and it was more about the situation - a girl who lives in a market that she loves - than about any particular through line about the characters.

I mean, I'm glad there wasn't a crisis like "oh no, Walmart is opening across the street and they sell mochi for a hundred yen a piece" or something, but it felt a lot like a series of small events that happen to appear chronologically.

Of course, in a way, the first TV season of Tamayura was also similar... but that worked because the whole season was based on all the characters having moments of personal growth/introspection.

cajunator

Banned
Everytime somebody says please, KyoAni wastes its potential in yet another mediocre anime.

Coincidentally this infuriates Gabe Newell, who proceeds to delay Half Life 3.

kyoAni wants to experiment and go different directions. Let them do what they want.

KyoAni went from being a chef at a 5 star restaurant to flipping burgers at Wendys.

When was this ever the case?? KyoAni never makes that sort of show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighters Episode 16:

As far as transitional episodes goes this one was rather nice to watch, entirely because Takeshi Iori has already become one of my favorite characters in this series already. He also sports a damn fine hobo beard. Still his charisma and enthusiasm is enough to make the normal Alia-Reiji Psuedo-Roemance Tsundere Dance of Hellish Doom actually mildly tolerable. In fact, I want to watch a spin-off where Takeshi teaches us to build Gunplas ever week akin to Bob Ross.

Gundam Build Fighters - Episode 16

Takeshi's already become one of my favourite characters and it's only been one episode! I love how he starts off a bit like Kenshiro with the beard and scraggy hair and then reveals his greatness as
Official Gunpla Battle Referee (Gunpla Police basically)
. His bit after the ED was hilarious!
The AilaxReiji shipping intesifies in this one. Aila's going to have to come clean to Reiji eventually and this episode did her no favours at all with all.

Great stopgap episode. Looking forward to next week's battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom