• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
The unconfirmed leak says that Fate/Stay Night is a Fall 2014 show directed by Takahiro Miura, with character designs by Tomonori Sudo, Hisayuki Tabata, and Atsushi Ikariya.
To expand on this, apparently they've confirmed that they're telling a non-route specific story with this F/SN, and will be a new continuity not told in the original game. There are also reworked designs, including more modern casual wear for Shiro and Rin. Half the scripts are already completed and most of those are storyboarded. They started voice recording last Fall, and have already completed several episodes.
I think another thing that people need to keep in mind is that Ufotable is usually a very, very faithful studio. When they adapt stuff they tend to stick closely to the tone and style of the source, even if they make changes, because they have a profound amount of respect for the original fans of whatever material they're adapting. All of their staff mention this point in interviews, and talk about how the studio culture revolves around thinking of what the "customer" wants first and foremost.

The difficulty Kondo has mentioned with regards of adapting Fate/Stay Night is because it is based on a game with 3 different routes, and anime is a different medium. This is likely the main reason why the story is being modified. Not because people working on it think that the game is crap or that the existing routes are garbage. Even though they are.

Dammit I missed all the new Fate news because of career fair at my uni. How dare you!

Is there a link for a website for all these rumors and news? As to the discussed, I wouldn't mind a brand new original route where Shiro doesn't fuck a girl at some point. In fact can they just completely ignore characters like Taiga and tiny moe albino? Unless you have the moe albino NOT turn into an imouto character then she's fine. And can somebody please change Shiro's wardrobe? We can't have a show where characters had sweet jackets and dusters to a show where the main characters wears a crappy long sleeve tee.

DO IT DO IT DO IT.

Quick question if I finish the anime and I want more, where should I go to proceed with the story? (aka to LN's or to a manga?).

CorvoSol

Quick question if I finish the anime and I want more, where should I go to proceed with the story? (aka to LN's or to a manga?).

I'm going to the manga, because where all the Manga has been translated, not all of the LNs have, I think. With the Manga you can still look at the characters and mechs, so there's that, plus the Manga storyline is much closer to the anime. I think the one major difference between them is that in the Manga Mr. Gates is replaced with the character from the LN: Mr. K, who is a much longer lasting villain. When I start the Manga tonight I'll write up the best way to go about reading it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No one can grasp the true form of Blood-C's trolling before actually experiencing it, so don't worry about already being spoiled. Trust me; I went in knowing it had a reputation as a "troll show" and it still melted my mind.
I really don't think anything in Blood-C was that surprising given prior familiarity with CLAMP and proper attention to the signaling done all throughout the show.

lonely

Wolf Children
I'd heard so much praise for this movie that I bought it on release in the Uk but only got around to watching it tonight and wow. It was beautiful and I was moved, tears of joy and sadness were shed during this amazing film. I have never been so moved by a film and I spent the entire credits crying. I regret not watching this sooner and it has easily knocked The Lion King off the top of my favourite animated films list.

Branduil

I really don't think anything in Blood-C was that surprising given prior familiarity with CLAMP and properly attention to the signaling done all throughout the show.

Yeah there weren't really a lot of places the story could go. I think most of the surprise comes from
the viciousness and spiteful creativity of all of the deaths.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Fall 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales

*10,612 *4 Non Non Biyori [BD+DVD]

Bolded are new additions.

Gundam Build Fighters DVD did not rank. BD has yet to release.

New sales numbers for IS2, Arpeggio, NNB, KLK, KNK, and Nagi have been added.

Source and more info via Something, whom I'm presuming is the same one from Mania.

And out this week.

Sooooo happy Non Non Biyori did well, I want a second season so badly!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah there weren't really a lot of places the story could go. I think most of the surprise comes from
the viciousness and spiteful creativity of all of the deaths.
But that's just a matter of degree, not kind! Besides, when has CLAMP ever been one to hold back?

Branduil

But that's just a matter of degree, not kind! Besides, when has CLAMP ever been one to hold back?

Have they ever written a story that ends with
hundreds of people being murdered by giant bunny monsters in ridiculous ways like being blended or made into shishkabobs
previously?

Glad to see Non Non Biyori doing well. I have consumed it one episode per day for the last week. Perfect series to watch before going to bed. Also watched Aria same way.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I really don't think anything in Blood-C was that surprising given prior familiarity with CLAMP and proper attention to the signaling done all throughout the show.

In my defense, it's the only CLAMP anything I've ever seen more than an episode of.

I'm going to the manga, because where all the Manga has been translated, not all of the LNs have, I think. With the Manga you can still look at the characters and mechs, so there's that, plus the Manga storyline is much closer to the anime. I think the one major difference between them is that in the Manga Mr. Gates is replaced with the character from the LN: Mr. K, who is a much longer lasting villain. When I start the Manga tonight I'll write up the best way to go about reading it.

All right it'll be appreciated.

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 17 – Declaration of War
tumblr_n04yt0Vzrl1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Leam v Magnoshutatt v Kou Empire, is this really going to conclude by 26 episodes, it seems like such a huge war it could be.
Surprised Scheherazade even is of nonpure motives. Guess I side with Magnoshuttat

Hoping to see Ren Kouha do stuff. It was easily the best part of the episode.

9nine song felt awkward this episode...

Fall 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales

Bolded are new additions.

Gundam Build Fighters DVD did not rank. BD has yet to release.

New sales numbers for IS2, Arpeggio, NNB, KLK, KNK, and Nagi have been added.

Source and more info via Something, whom I'm presuming is the same one from Mania.

And out this week.
I think NNB should be 10,162?at least that's from the link,typo?

Syrinx

I had no experience with CLAMP prior to Blood-C, and even since then my only further familiarity with them is through Cardcaptor Sakura, which I'm not quite sure how it ties into what they were doing with the ending of Blood-C. Rather, I don't get how seeing that would make one less surprised at the ending.

Anyway, I will say that as much as the ending...drove me to insanity, it at the very least was clear that
something was up and that there were some major, major pieces missing.
Still, that twist. And the aftermath!

Still haven't seen The Last Dark.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Have they ever written a story that ends with
hundreds of people being murdered by giant bunny monsters in ridiculous ways like being blended or made into shishkabobs
previously?
They wrote a magical girl show in which a Princess's plea for help was actually an assisted suicide request and the supposed bad guy was a lover fighting to stop it. They turned Alice in Wonderland into a sex-crazed Inception. There's also that whole X mess and the stuff xxxHOLiC pulled.

cajunator

Banned
Black Lagoon - 02

I guess the one thing that I really like about this show (outside of Revy's awesomeness) ids the facial expressions, particularly with the eyes.

...which is exactly why I am watching the dub.

youve made the right decision.

Someone just told me that Ichirou Nagai is dead , can anyone confirm ? ( currently moving, far away from home, with very bad internet and gaf is the steadiest website i can acess )

RIP

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I had no experience with CLAMP prior to Blood-C, and even since then my only further familiarity with them is through Cardcaptor Sakura, which I'm not quite sure how it ties into what they were doing with the ending of Blood-C. Rather, I don't get how seeing that would make one less surprised at the ending.

Anyway, I will say that as much as the ending...drove me to insanity, it at the very least was clear that

I understand that so many anime shows just ramble on trying to be deep without really amounting to much, but when Blood-C had voiceovers discussing the nature of a person you should have been making note.
Given that and other signals that the entire environment was a set-up, and given the nature of it being a controlled test involving a girl with powers against human-eating monsters and that there is clearly no consideration given to people dying during the process, the most obvious way to wrap something like that up is to remove all evidence. Sure, they could have used a fuel-air bomb, but when you can already control monsters why not just set them loose?

Ok, now that I think about it, I'm probably leaning on prior experience with other messed up shows as well here.

Ojamajo Doremi - Episodes 2-10

Didn't expect to like this as much as I am right now. It's just a nice fun, happy show! Can't believe Doremi
failed her first exam, that steak looked great!

zeroshiki

Wolf Children
I'd heard so much praise for this movie that I bought it on release in the Uk but only got around to watching it tonight and wow. It was beautiful and I was moved, tears of joy and sadness were shed during this amazing film. I have never been so moved by a film and I spent the entire credits crying. I regret not watching this sooner and it has easily knocked The Lion King off the top of my favourite animated films list.

Welcome to the club! There's a reason a bunch of us has been pimping Wolf Children out for the better part of 2 years now. Its just that kind of movie.

cajunator

Banned

Thats true. Clamp has always been a pretty weird studio. I dont think people quite expected THIS.

Sooooo happy Non Non Biyori did well, I want a second season so badly!

If theres more material to work from Im sure this will happen.

CorvoSol

I disagree, but the remainder of my post will be dedicated to Full Metal Panic! and I'll get to why I disagree later. My main point is that while the show most certainly signals you on some of the insanity, there is nothing to prepare you for
the blender bunny demons.

FULL METAL PANIC! THE SECOND RAID 13

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid Episode Thirteen is my favorite episode of anime EVER.

Man oh man oh man, where do I begin?

First of all, the fights in this episode are fucking stellar. Imagine you're me, you're 20, and this is the last episode of any anime you see for 2 years. Fucking highest note to step out on, let me tell you. I was slobbering at the mouth for more when it ended then, and I'm chomping at the bit for it now. Other anime may have come out since with better battles, but Sousuke's ARX-7 versus the 5 Venom is always, ALWAYS going to be a classic in my book. The fight is just so, so, so good.

More than that, though, it's a brilliant way to end the series.
Kaname arrives and undoes Gauron's magic spell not by praising Sousuke, but by criticizing him, and beating the shit out of him. This is typical of their relationship, and there will come a day when Sousuke's willingness to return the favor will break another spell and save not just Kaname, but the entire world. Because as it turns out, Sousuke doesn't want to be a badass warrior and Kaname doesn't want to be a super genius, they both just want to be normal people who are loved, and so their taking each other down a peg is brilliant for that.

Sousuke proceeds to kick the asses of the entire force here, bail out his friends, get the girl, and quite literally ride off into the sun[rise]. At the very end of the series, Kaname, while still not flat-out saying how she feels, does tell Sousuke what it was like without him, and Sousuke, while coming just inches from embracing her, manages to become that much more linked to her. There's a reason people hate Nami, and it's because after this episode, no other girl has any hope of a chance at all. There's a part where Sousuke tells Tessa she's his friend, but that alone is enough to show that she isn't on the same tier as Kaname, because Sousuke can say things like that to her, and he cannot to Kaname. (As a side note his propositioning Mao for sex later on won't count because by then Sousuke is much more physically expressive
and also he is only doing it to get her to snap out of her Kurz's-death-induced-funk
so take that Tessa fans, Mao wins again!

The whole thing ends on such a high note, and the animation, the colors, the characters, and the goddamn music are all so good that it really does kind of -if not confuse- bother me that no one seems to want to continue the series. It really is an absolutely stellar ending to a positively wonderful series. There's still one more OVA to watch before jumping into the Manga, but that's not really much of a big deal. I mean, it's only about Tessa.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 29

So there was another new villain in this episode, a rather dashing fellow who actually took the opportunity to approach the Cures undercover in human form, a tactic it feels like I haven't seen for a long time. We really do need more villains who can be bothered to do that. Also he seems to have some fairly unique battle tactics, turning an entire area of the forest into a Hoshiina, and staying hidden out of sight himself while the Cures did battle.

However, all of this is beside the point, because what really matters about this episode is that Rin playing tennis was absolutely goddamn gorgeous.

iNACTSoG3DfI0.gif

YES. YES. YES. ALL MY YES. MARRY ME.
yes I meticulously gifed basically every notable Rin moment in the episode and it was totally worth it

For DxD fans, a certain character showed up in the bonus minutes of episode 10, voiced and all. Not saying it's conclusive evidence for a season 3, but it's a very positive sign.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh

[scream externaly]

OMG

Ophis time !! ophis is there ! it's gonna be Gud

1379857834518.gif

All of my WANT

I can now be hyped for S3... GIVE ME S3 !

S3!

S3

S3!!

I want a S3 only for the neotare
J/k

cajunator

Banned

Even a silly show like Chobits had a bizarre ending. Clamp thrives on this crazy shit.

Remember when Mana gave a shit about Makopi?

What could've been if people still gave a shit about her like they did originally.

MakoPi weeps!

This. Why. why does this exist?

I tried watching highschool DxD. But it was too perverted for me, I couldn't do it. Even the silly engrish voice each time the guy used his power couldn't save it.

Hamatora 4

Pretty meh episode. The new characters aren't doing it for me. The lion dude's design is pretty boring, the gigantic tits girl has one of the most awkwardly drawn designs (and hooters) I have ever seen in an anime, and the humor fell flat. 3/4 so far I've enjoyed and hopefully the previews of the next episode of a bath house episode aren't completely true and there's a change to it. Because fuck bath house episodes.

Hunter x Hunter 114

Seems like this was the episode to start the rest of the other fights. Gon's side got quickly forgotten, while Shoot had a manly fight.

sonicmj1

Only single moms need apply!

I get the impulse to latch on to memes like this, but personally, stuff like it, such as "Sword Art Online is the smartest anime in years!" or "Have you seen Titanfall?" or "Macklemore is the only rapper with something to say," annoy me, because they smother actual perspectives with talking points that everyone involved knows are stupid. I love sarcasm as much as anyone, but at least apply some wit to it.

I'd rather hear how people actually feel, instead of just getting echoes of an idiotic sentiment repeatedly. Maybe I'm overreacting now, but I remember how it kept going last time, and memories of the first page of the recent Macklemore/Kendrick Grammy thread still grate.

Syrinx

Even a silly show like Chobits had a bizarre ending. Clamp thrives on this crazy shit.

It sounds like I need more familiarity with them, even if there may not be anything quite like Blood-C. I've heard of Chobits, xxxHolic, Magic Knight Reyearth, Miyuki-chan in Wonderland, and some others.

I tried watching highschool DxD. But it was too perverted for me, I couldn't do it. Even the silly engrish voice each time the guy used his power couldn't save it.

Books are so fun , one of the few Lns i have read multiples times
S3 is from where everything goes from "good/great" to "extra awesome" , the first use of tactics , the proper training , the increase in power from the ennemies , the so increased fanservice situations , if you liked S1 or S2 , S3 is where everything just goes "big bang" on the stuff and the author starts explaining his lore ( that is quite deep )

For admiral , what you saw in S1 is nothing compared to what happens later starting from S3 .. I hope they adapt it , because that season is training, politics , battles + battles.

Even if Database Database doesn't do terribly well I wouldn't mind continuing the story in LN form since the basic draw of the show isn't the animation or the character's designs. It's the plot and the politics.

For admiral , what you saw in S1 is nothing compared to what happens later starting from S3 .. I hope they adapt it , because that season is training, politics , battles + battles.

Well if there is a season 3 and impressions are great I guess I could watch season 2. But I couldn't really stand the formula or the cockteasing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hamatora The Animation Episode 4:

One of my biggest problems with this show is how ill defined everything is, for example, there seems to be about a hundred thousand members of Hamatora yet I barely know who any of them are or what they do or even their names. Not to mention what Hamatora even does, hell, not even they seem to know other then the vague odd jobs and Minimum work. Still this is a serviceable show that I am going to stick with, if only because I have dropped so many other shows from this dregpile of a season.

zeroshiki

I get the impulse to latch on to memes like this, but personally, stuff like it, such as "Sword Art Online is the smartest anime in years!" or "Have you seen Titanfall?" or "Macklemore is the only rapper with something to say," annoy me, because they smother actual perspectives with talking points that everyone involved knows are stupid. I love sarcasm as much as anyone, but at least apply some wit to it.

I'd rather hear how people actually feel, instead of just getting echoes of an idiotic sentiment repeatedly. Maybe I'm overreacting now, but I remember how it kept going last time, and memories of the first page of the recent Macklemore/Kendrick Grammy thread still grate.

It's firehawk. He doesn't stop unless the meme is dead and beaten to the ground.

Wasn't that Chobits ending bizarre because the manga wasn't finished? The manga ending was slightly less weird. Unless you're talking about everything leading up to the actual ending too of course...

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid OVA

So this is just a fun little episode about Tessa and her own adventure on the base to try and find some missing stuffed animal of hers. While the mystery wraps up with Tessa's confession to Sousuke being completely misunderstood by him, there is one lingering after thought that kinda gnaws at me. In the flashbacks we see, Tessa is still clothed when Sousuke leaves her sleeping on the De Danaan's bridge, but when she first wakes up, she's almost entirely undressed. So where did her skirt go?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi - Episodes 2-10

Didn't expect to like this as much as I am right now.
It's certainly a show you have to already be watching to see why you should in the the first place.

dlbv6ro.jpg

It's just a nice fun, happy show! Can't believe Doremi
failed her first exam, that steak looked great!
While Ojamajo Doremi maintains a high level of character interaction and comic expressiveness, it also develops a wonderful heavy side as characters grow and various lines of drama come up, and it does so in a surprisingly authentic manner.

Kansoku

Hamatora The Animation Episode 4:

One of my biggest problems with this show is how ill defined everything is, for example, there seems to be about a hundred thousand members of Hamatora yet I barely know who any of them are or what they do or even their names. Not to mention what Hamatora even does, hell, not even they seem to know other then the vague odd jobs and Minimum work. Still this is a serviceable show that I am going to stick with, if only because I have dropped so many other shows from this dregpile of a season.

Hamatora:
Nice - Guy with headphones, has the power to move at the speed of sound
Birthday - Blond guy with the electricity power.
Four Eyes (lol) - Vegeta with glasses, power to change how gravity affects something(?)
Don't know his name - Doctor with golden gloves, eye patch and the power to see a person's body and any condition it might have.
And I think that girl who just eats stuff is part of Hamatora as well, but IDK?

There's also:
Bartender - He's the bartender.
They said her name in the episode but I forgot it already - Receptionist.
Art - Detective-kun
Moral - bad guy
And the two new characters they showed us on this ep, but I think they wok for Art.

As for what they do, I think they're supposed to be like private detectives or something like that. They said it in the first ep, but I don't remember.

(I really don't remember a lot of stuff I watch in animes e.e)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I disagree, but the remainder of my post will be dedicated to Full Metal Panic! and I'll get to why I disagree later. My main point is that while the show most certainly signals you on some of the insanity, there is nothing to prepare you for
the blender bunny demons.
This is why you should watch more magical girl shows, then you too won't be fazed by this! Like I said, the signalling was key, but also familiarity with how these kinds of stories can end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom