• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
It sounds like I need more familiarity with them, even if there may not be anything quite like Blood-C. I've heard of Chobits, xxxHolic, Magic Knight Reyearth, Miyuki-chan in Wonderland, and some others.

believe me Clamp are master trolls.

Wasn't that Chobits ending bizarre because the manga wasn't finished? The manga ending was slightly less weird. Unless you're talking about everything leading up to the actual ending too of course...

Have no idea why it was just it was.

CorvoSol

Okay, Adm. Woofington, The chronologically correct order for reading Full Metal Panic! Sigma is to pick up Volume 15 after you finish The Second Raid. Note, however, that if you DO do this, you MUST NOT READ THE FIRST TWO PAGES since they're major spoilers. So skip the cover, table of contents, and the first two actual pages of the storyline, since they're spoilers. After that you should be good until the storyline finishes, at which point you must NOT READ THE LAST TWO PAGES of the storyline, as they also contain major spoilers. This is because, while the LN tells this entire plotline after finishing up The Second Raid, the Manga inserts it much, much later. The storyline comprises Volumes 15 and 16 of Sigma.

After you finish Volumes 15 and 16, skip to Volume 4, Chapter 17 of the Manga. The reason you don't need to read Volumes 1-3 is because they cover the plotline of The Second Raid, so there's no need to read them, unless you want to see how it plays out in the Manga version and laugh at the wacky French Maid versions of the Assassins. The first three chapters of Volume 4 (Chapters 14, 15, and 16) are a summary of the OVA at the end of FMP and the Hot Springs Trip from Fumoffu, so there's no reason to retread those.

So, in nice, clear format:

Volume 15-16, skip the first two story pages of 15 and the last two of 16 since they're spoilers for later events.
Volume 4, Chapter 17, until the end of Volume 14.
The first two pages of Volume 15, then the last two pages of Volume 16
Volumes 17-19.

Ta-da!

Kazzy

[Kill la Kill - 15]

iwHlAVC.jpg

Complaints about the shoddiness of the animation, and the lack of it therein? The meandering story? The ill-defined and rote characters? I was assured that at least the first point was addressed in this episode, but it really wasn't.

I can at least express relief that Satsuki and Ryuuko have finally crossed paths again, but I'm so sick of this bait and switch tactic - they pull it every time! Perhaps they don't want to offer up their best material under the finale, but they have to serve up at least something interesting, beyond Satsuki going "lol, this fight wasn't for realsies. I had my fingers crossed the whooooooooooole time! I don't take that as contempt towards the characters, but the audience too - nothing seems to actually be deemed worthy, instead leaving up with faceless enemies that make up the vast bulk of the 'fights'.

They've literally stooped to portraying the key matchup as sliding across the floor and charging into each other. Beyond looking pretty bad, it doesn't really make sense from a character standpoint, either. Ryuuko , she's headstrong and inexperienced - but Satsuki? She's supposed to be a skilled swordswoman.

Midonin

Lemon Angel Project 03-04

td6Em4bl.jpg

Definitely some vibes of Wake Up, Girls! here. Though the swimsuit session only lasted for the first part. The rest involved contract disputes and breaking and entering. Saya's your pretty typical headstrong rival type (with the fold that she's concerned about her weight). A pretty alright episode, and I'm glad to see the other members of the future band starting to be fleshed out. Haruka's insufferable across these two episodes in her bullying and backstabbing of the others, though the preview for episode 5 does suggest the show's going to address this.

k49Zgy5l.jpg

Erika's the one of the cast I like the most. Not just because I like brown girls in anime, but also because she's the friendliest of the cast. Her Brazilian heritage is also a little unusual. (Thank you, Christ the Redeemer, for being immediate shorthand for "Brazil".) The immediate distrust of her because she's a foreigner was tough to watch. Saya pulling out a "We're not here to make friends!" speech was a little predictable, but Tomo's at least the kind of friend everyone needs.

xDikwwNl.jpg

Her idol skills aren't very good, though. Not even Nagisa in AKB0048 was this bad. There's also a few odd translator's notes sprinkled about the subs, but it was 2006, that sort of thing was more permissible then. Overall, it's going into fairly typical idol show territory, but it's still enjoyable.

I also realized the studio who made this series worked on Lovege, and that's another curio I really liked. Satoru Akahori, that man had style. But that's for another time. Mostly, I want to see more of Erika.

Hamatora Episode 4
tumblr_n054hg1VVK1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The beginning part was really fun. Nice, megane, Thunder Good Guy, Ratio too. Episode theme wasnt on the same level as the previous ones but wrapped up nicely. Im liking all these stories as they grow and tie in and Art's concerns too deserve being remembering. Hoping that he will have a really large role as we go on.

Okay, Adm. Woofington, The chronologically correct order for reading Full Metal Panic! Sigma is to pick up Volume 15 after you finish The Second Raid. Note, however, that if you DO do this, you MUST NOT READ THE FIRST TWO PAGES since they're major spoilers. So skip the cover, table of contents, and the first two actual pages of the storyline, since they're spoilers. After that you should be good until the storyline finishes, at which point you must NOT READ THE LAST TWO PAGES of the storyline, as they also contain major spoilers. This is because, while the LN tells this entire plotline after finishing up The Second Raid, the Manga inserts it much, much later. The storyline comprises Volumes 15 and 16 of Sigma.

After you finish Volumes 15 and 16, skip to Volume 4, Chapter 17 of the Manga. The reason you don't need to read Volumes 1-3 is because they cover the plotline of The Second Raid, so there's no need to read them, unless you want to see how it plays out in the Manga version and laugh at the wacky French Maid versions of the Assassins. The first three chapters of Volume 4 (Chapters 14, 15, and 16) are a summary of the OVA at the end of FMP and the Hot Springs Trip from Fumoffu, so there's no reason to retread those.

So, in nice, clear format:

Volume 15-16, skip the first two story pages of 15 and the last two of 16 since they're spoilers for later events.
Volume 4, Chapter 17, until the end of Volume 14.
The first two pages of Volume 15, then the last two pages of Volume 16
Volumes 17-19.

Ta-da!

Lmpbvja.gif

All right much appreciated.

On an off-topic note I've realized that most GIFs I look for in google images lead me to a couple of Supernatural GIF's. I'm sure that if I typed in anime, it'd just lead me to the Supernatural anime.

bW96pJs.gif

survivor

Banned
Seitokai Yakuindomo* 4

Funnier than the previous episode, but still average. I'm glad that I'm not actually marathoning the series since the repetitive perverted jokes would have been much harder to suffer through. At the end of the day, I still find the series amusing so it's unlikely that I will ever drop it even though it's pretty stale at this point.

Well at the very least I'm glad I'm not being overly cynical about the new Seitokai Yakuindomo season as the thoughts I shared seem to be decently repeated among others here.

Space Dandy - 04

Something about this episode didn't sit right with me, I'm not sure if it was the art or the plot, but either way it was the worst episode so far! I had to force myself to watch the second half. Boring.

[Kill la Kill - 15]Complaints about the shoddiness of the animation, and the lack of it therein? The meandering story? The ill-defined and rote characters? I was assured that at least the first point was addressed in this episode, but it really wasn't.

I felt like this episode had the best animation so far.. but you're right with the rest.

Hamatora 4
I sort of like the new characters and their exaggerated nature. My favorite part was the old lady driving the car and ramming it into the van

I kind of want to rewatch some of the first season to see if the material has gotten worse, or if it's just become stale.

From what somebody else told me in this thread, I believe firehawk, they're not adapting material from the source material in 100% correct order. So chances are it might have gotten stale. Or simply they adapted the best stuff earlier.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kabukimonogatari - 02

MonogatariS2-8-1.gif

I can't believe this. #dead

After wrapping up DokiDoki! Precure yesterday I decided to get back on another show that I fell well behind on. I'm honestly surprised I stopped watching season 2 of Monogatari because it was at the damn near top of my list of things to watch when it began airing. I guess I was preoccupied with work or something? Who knows. Anyway, looking forward to getting caught up!

From what somebody else told me in this thread, I believe firehawk, they're not adapting material from the source material in 100% correct order. So chances are it might have gotten stale. Or simply they adapted the best stuff earlier.

The order shouldn't matter for something like this, but if they picked out the best gags already, then yeah, maybe that's it.

Soma

Seitokai Yakuindomo* 4
At the end of the day, I still find the series amusing so it's unlikely that I will ever drop it even though it's pretty stale at this point.

Pretty much where I'm at with this series too.

It hardly ever goes above average for an episode but for some reason I just can't see myself ever dropping it. I dunno, maybe I'm just too attached to the characters as one-note as most of them are.

Mature

[Kill la Kill - 15]

iwHlAVC.jpg

Complaints about the shoddiness of the animation, and the lack of it therein? The meandering story? The ill-defined and rote characters? I was assured that at least the first point was addressed in this episode, but it really wasn't.

I can at least express relief that Satsuki and Ryuuko have finally crossed paths again, but I'm so sick of this bait and switch tactic - they pull it every time! Perhaps they don't want to offer up their best material under the finale, but they have to serve up at least something interesting, beyond Satsuki going "lol, this fight wasn't for realsies. I had my fingers crossed the whooooooooooole time! I don't take that as contempt towards the characters, but the audience too - nothing seems to actually be deemed worthy, instead leaving up with faceless enemies that make up the vast bulk of the 'fights'.

They've literally stooped to portraying the key matchup as sliding across the floor and charging into each other. Beyond looking pretty bad, it doesn't really make sense from a character standpoint, either. Ryuuko , she's headstrong and inexperienced - but Satsuki? She's supposed to be a skilled swordswoman.
My biggest problem with the series is in that bait and switch and it's representative of a bigger problem: The plot hasn't gone anywhere. Earlier on, the story was establishing characters and motivations, which is fine, but really, what's happened in the story since the first episode? Not a whole lot, and of that, what has been really compelling? I can't tell you a single thing about Ryuko other than she wants to avenge her father and she has a fiery personality. If we compare it to the writer/directors last outing in Gurren Lagann, the pacing was electric. Every beat of the story felt like progress and the characters were constantly undergoing growth and transformation. I keep expecting to watch an episode and for it to click into this secret wealth of Imaishi madness, but instead it just seems to drag on.

That being said, I am still finding it to be entertaining episode to episode.

Pretty much where I'm at with this series too.

It hardly ever goes above average for an episode but for some reason I just can't see myself ever dropping it. I dunno, maybe I'm just too attached to the characters as one-note as most of them are.

image.php

I had to. And the avatar response isn't due to the reaction, but the highlight :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Naw, it's sitcomitis. Since the manga doesn't really have a real throughline, other than the very very light romcom moments that are mostly implied, it really just comes down to the girls being perverted in their particular way (and Hagimura being the one "normal" one).

Since the episodes themselves barely have a throughline - the newest one basically had to invent this whole amusement park thing that didn't exist in the manga chapter they referenced - it does become a series of gags, so you don't even have the satisfaction of "Abed learns a lesson about being social" or "Sheldon realizes that Wil Wheaton is not a bad guy" that you find in your typical American sitcom.

I'll say that I enjoy the show, but I don't really laugh at it. But unless you're Louis CK talking about taking a shit while your daughter shits her pants in front of him, I mostly appreciate comedy in terms of how bemused I am with the situation. And, for whatever reason, having a girl worry about using a remote vibe on an airplane or having the girls walk in on the dude with a room that smells like squid while the scene is framed as a Japanese murder mystery is amusing to me.

For me, it still works because the jokes don't linger. Once someone says something inappropriate, it cuts to a title card and then to an entirely new scene.

Dresden

Amusingly enough, episode fifteen was the first time in a while that the story in KLK progressed a little. But from how it's presented within the episode - complete with color-shifting credits, as if we had just witnessed some show-shaking change - you'd think that someone had died. Instead it's just one last nudge forward before it comes to a halt again.

The Which Kurobas Character Would You Want As a Brother poll is too good.

My choice Takao for Honorable mention and Kise for GoM member. I loved the responses.

Kazunari Takao (received most mentions in "Other" choice) - "If he was my brother I go home early every day"
Seijuro Akashi - "I want to be verbally abused and get kicked every day. I would smother him to the point that he gets annoyed"
Tetsuya Kuroko - "He is too cute he would make me bro-con"
Kouki Furihata - "I want to make him my younger brother and smother him"

duckroll

Magi S2 - Episode 17

2UGZ9OP.jpg

This scene had REALLY inappropriate music selection. Lol.

Aside from the terribly inappropriate BGM in the scene above, and the terrible decision to use the normal ending theme in the final scene, it was a pretty good set up for the war arc. Now all the pieces are in place. Hopefully they don't disappoint with the visuals in the coming weeks, because a lot of large scale stuff is going to be happening. This Sunday is going to be fun!

---

Pilot's Love Song - Episode 4

9eWvU0I.jpg

The really nice way water is drawn is about the only thing I'm enjoying anymore.

I'm not sure when it happened exactly, but I think my enjoyment of this show has dropped like a rock. I like the setting a lot, and the characters and story is honestly inoffensive, but I just can't get interested in the way they're telling this story. It feels really juvenile in a way I can't really stand. It's probably a mix of how the story tries to deal with historical style drama which would benefit from being more complex and nuanced, but instead it's being told as a kid's story here with no subtly and filled with simplistic storytelling. I'll probably be dropping this shortly if nothing changes.

Mature

I'm not sure when it happened exactly, but I think my enjoyment of this show has dropped like a rock. I like the setting a lot, and the characters and story is honestly inoffensive, but I just can't get interested in the way they're telling this story. It feels really juvenile in a way I can't really stand. It's probably a mix of how the story tries to deal with historical style drama which would benefit from being more complex and nuanced, but instead it's being told as a kid's story here with no subtly and filled with simplistic storytelling. I'll probably be dropping this shortly if nothing changes.
That's too bad. The first episode showed promise.

You can come back after episode 6 or 7,i think
I have same feeling when i read the LN vol.1-2,but then vol.3 happened

Kazzy

My biggest problem with the series is in that bait and switch and it's representative of a bigger problem: The plot hasn't gone anywhere. Earlier on, the story was establishing characters and motivations, which is fine, but really, what's happened in the story since the first episode? Not a whole lot, and of that, what has been really compelling? I can't tell you a single thing about Ryuko other than she wants to avenge her father and she has a fiery personality. If we compare it to the writer/directors last outing in Gurren Lagann, the pacing was electric. Every beat of the story felt like progress and the characters were constantly undergoing growth and transformation. I keep expecting to watch an episode and for it to click into this secret wealth of Imaishi madness, but instead it just seems to drag on.

That being said, I am still finding it to be entertaining episode to episode.

I agree, but I just wanted to add something of a qualifier - seeing as the folks who frequent the KLK thread take great pleasure in reminding me that in lieu of a story, we have crazy action. The caveat to that being that it actually isn't all that crazy, and the action isn't all that great.

If it was judged solely on that criteria, then I'd deem it an unequivocal failure.

Narag

Amusingly enough, episode fifteen was the first time in a while that the story in KLK progressed a little. But from how it's presented within the episode - complete with color-shifting credits, as if we had just witnessed some show-shaking change - you'd think that someone had died. Instead it's just one last nudge forward before it comes to a halt again.

I think that's why liked that ep, and to a lesser extent, 14. I was desperate for something, anything, to happen past the usual posturing and Ryuko being useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom