• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

I mean, sure, we're not entitled to immediate simulcasts or anything, but including over the weekend, we've had three shows suddenly get extra delays on CR (Sakura Trick from Friday mornings to evenings, Chu2 from Wednesday mornings to Thursday evenings, and Seitokai Yakuindomo* from Saturdays to Tuesdays) for no given reason other than vague "delivery delays". CR is usually really good with keeping to their schedules, so if they really are having trouble with some part of the production process (be it encoding or subtitles or whatever) then I can sort of understand and sympathize, but things seemed to be going fine for those shows' simulcasts for the first couple weeks of the season so of course there's going to be some disappointment.

Maybe they're getting pushback from the content providers for providing their stuff too early? I mean, "delivery delays" make no sense since its not like they FedEx DVDs of these shows to CrunchyRoll.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe they're getting pushback from the content providers for providing their stuff too early? I mean, "delivery delays" make no sense since its not like they FedEx DVDs of these shows to CrunchyRoll.
I suppose it's possible people are using VPNs to watch CR in Japan.

duckroll

I mean, sure, we're not entitled to immediate simulcasts or anything, but including over the weekend, we've had three shows suddenly get extra delays on CR (Sakura Trick from Friday mornings to evenings, Chu2 from Wednesday mornings to Thursday evenings, and Seitokai Yakuindomo* from Saturdays to Tuesdays) for no given reason other than vague "delivery delays". CR is usually really good with keeping to their schedules, so if they really are having trouble with some part of the production process (be it encoding or subtitles or whatever) then I can sort of understand and sympathize, but things seemed to be going fine for those shows' simulcasts for the first couple weeks of the season so of course there's going to be some disappointment.

I wonder if these delays are related to CR's increasingly growing number of shows each season. It seems like part of it could be workload simply catching up with them. Not to say that there aren't actual delays in delivering the materials, but I've noticed that in the past they tried their best to minimize the delays, and I've heard from freelancers/contract staff who worked on the subs before that they've had to rush stuff because the materials were late or they would change before broadcast.

But starting from last season it seemed like they were more willing to just let a delay slide a day or two. Could it be a sign that their resources are being totally stretched out, hence a delay in materials could throw a spanner into their already tight schedules causing longer than usual delays? In contrast I've noticed that Wakanim and Daisuki have no problems putting up their non-English subtitles on time for stuff like Kill la Kill, but their English subtitles would always be held back since they're provided by CR.

If this is indeed what is going on, I think people have every right to feel that CR isn't doing their best to provide the service they are promising to subscribers. Taking on a dozens of shows every season definitely makes their service more appealing, but if it's affecting their quality standards and timely delivery of the content that kinda blows for people paying!

Delivery delays are real, because subs don't come out of nowhere. You have to receive materials before you can work on them, and if you don't receive them early enough it will affect your production schedule. But I've provided a more detailed hypothesis above on why the delays might be getting more frequent.

Branduil

I wonder if these delays are related to CR's increasingly growing number of shows each season. It seems like part of it could be workload simply catching up with them. Not to say that there aren't actual delays in delivering the materials, but I've noticed that in the past they tried their best to minimize the delays, and I've heard from freelancers/contract staff who worked on the subs before that they've had to rush stuff because the materials were late or they would change before broadcast.

But starting from last season it seemed like they were more willing to just let a delay slide a day or two. Could it be a sign that their resources are being totally stretched out, hence a delay in materials could throw a spanner into their already tight schedules causing longer than usual delays? In contrast I've noticed that Wakanim and Daisuki have no problems putting up their non-English subtitles on time for stuff like Kill la Kill, but their English subtitles would always be held back since they're provided by CR.

If this is indeed what is going on, I think people have every right to feel that CR isn't doing their best to provide the service they are promising to subscribers. Taking on a dozens of shows every season definitely makes their service more appealing, but if it's affecting their quality standards and timely delivery of the content that kinda blows for people paying!

They've also had some low-quality translations recently(see Kill la Kill).

CorvoSol

Okay at one point in Full Metal Panic! Sigma, Sousuke can smell blood on the sea breeze and this alerts him to the coming of enemy forces. Add to this his "warrior's instincts" mentioned in The Second Raid and Sousuke is basically a New Type piloting a machine running on Spiral Energy.

SRWZ3 is gonna rock.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

The last time they were on ANN, which was a while ago, they seemed to be pretty happy to get as many shows as they could because the rate for a show was the same across the board. I wonder if they've just run out of ex-fansubbers looking for cheap freelance work or something.

Reverse stream importation!
Well, they already natively block JP IPs!

Jarmel

Banned
Speaking of FMP, Sousuke is kind of a waste on the ARX series. The mech is a mixture of the Green Lantern and Spiral Powers, yet he doesn't really do any fun stuff with it.

Speaking of FMP, Sousuke is kind of a waste on the ARX series. The mech is a mixture of the Green Lantern and Spiral Powers, yet he doesn't really do any fun stuff with it.

And he never used Giga drill breaker.
lf3jK6S.gif

NOT. ONCE.

duckroll

The last time they were on ANN, which was a while ago, they seemed to be pretty happy to get as many shows as they could because the rate for a show was the same across the board. I wonder if they've just run out of ex-fansubbers looking for cheap freelance work or something.

Maybe it's less about pay and more about availability? You can pay someone to do something, but expecting them to be on call 24/7 just waiting for materials to show up and work on it ASAP seems like a shitty deal.

survivor

Banned
Finished rewatching the second half of The Eccentric Family, so good. The finale could have handled the Friday Fellows a bit better, but I'm satisfied with the ending we got instead. I am still perplexed by Benten's actions.
I think she was waiting for Akadama to go back to his great tengu self and ditched the Friday Fellows, but I'm not sure why she had to join along with them and eat the poor tanuki.

duckroll

They probably don't translate Kill la Kill themselves considering the subs for it are the same across all streaming services.

But none of the services can get the English subs out before CR does. They manage to get the non-English subs out in time though, which is a clear sign they do those separately. For example, I know Wakanim gets English subs for their shows from CR, while they translate the French ones themselves.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe it's less about pay and more about availability? You can pay someone to do something, but expecting them to be on call 24/7 just waiting for materials to show up and work on it ASAP seems like a shitty deal.
I guess so. Mandoric made it seem like for some people, doing simulcasts was a bit of a summer/part time/hobby job for them, so I'm assuming they're also much more willing to quit if the job becomes too demanding given the (presumably) low amount of compensation. Sort of like being asked to work at Game Stop during Black Friday? lol

Either that or they just feel fine with scrimping a bit and pushing some shows back to save money. The only problem with that is, for the most part, people are more than willing to do the work for free in order to get a show out "on time".

Branduil

Finished rewatching the second half of The Eccentric Family, so good. The finale could have handled the Friday Fellows a bit better, but I'm satisfied with the ending we got instead. I am still perplexed by Benten's actions.
I think she was waiting for Akadama to go back to his great tengu self and ditched the Friday Fellows, but I'm not sure why she had to join along with them and eat the poor tanuki.

Because she's history's greatest monster.

Jarmel

Banned
Star Driver 5- rewatch
iAnBzL0Mk1FO8.jpg

dohohohoho

Really fun episode. Some of the eccentric characters are amusing to all hell to watch. All I could think about this episode though was:

She didn't even need to become younger to get laid. A sizable number of male teenagers like Christmas Cake just the way it is. It's kinda amazing how it's portrayed in the episode as if she was male then holy shit would this have set off a firestorm. Instead the episode feels more like:

As for the fight sequence, it was pretty loltastic especially the way it ended. I remember being somewhat pissed when I first saw the episode as I thought it was a bullshit way to end the fight but rewatching it, it's funny as hell.

iWYRZGVF5fzSQ.gif

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
But none of the services can get the English subs out before CR does. They manage to get the non-English subs out in time though, which is a clear sign they do those separately. For example, I know Wakanim gets English subs for their shows from CR, while they translate the French ones themselves.
I don't really know. For some reason I got the impression that Aniplex titles fall outside of what CR handles themselves with the way Monogatari was showing up there weeks after it was available in other places.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't really know. For some reason I got the impression that Aniplex titles fall outside of what CR handles themselves with the way Monogatari was showing up there weeks after it was available in other places.
I can't remember, did Daisuki ever have an exclusive window on Monogatari?

duckroll

It depends on the Aniplex title. You're not wrong that there's a difference sometimes. In the past, we've seen titles like Valvrave (S1) and Magi (S1) releaased hardsubbed on CR. The reason for this is that it's provided by Aniplex that way, complete with the huge watermark.

Some titles in the past were also released on Aniplex-specific platforms first before CR got their dibs on it. For example Fate/Zero was on Nico first, and like you said, Monogatari on Daisuki (?). In the case of Fate/Zero, CR apparently did pay people to time and sub it independently of the Nico simulcast. Pretty weird.

Interestingly enough, the second seasons of Valvrave and Magi are all soft-subbed on CR now, without any Aniplex watermark. So either Aniplex is providing clean masters and soft-subtitles to CR now, or CR has taken over doing the work themselves and provides for the other platforms in English as well. If Aniplex is the one providing all the subs though, there's still the question of why the non-English subs are available on time while the English ones aren't though. :)

Articalys

Yeah, I guess it's just a double-edged sword with no real easy solution. Getting even more shows for simulcasts is great but at the cost of spreading themselves too thin...

Jarmel

Banned
Star Driver-6 rewatch
So a bunch of important elements introduced in this episode and a lot of foreshadowing as well, especially in regards to Ivrogne. I do think the
King cybody stuff is introduced way too quickly, as it's introduced and then used as a plot device right at the end of the episode.
It feels somewhat forced, in a manner, as a way of trying to get the plot moving. The student body at this school is filled with a bunch of pent up, sexually frustrated women. I also think it's a little random that both Sugata and Takuto's birthdays are on the same day. Really? I did appreciate the fact that Sugata knew he was going to be shitty company and excused himself instead of being a wet blanket over the entire episode.
iSDwZfOcynzKT.gif

Moving on, the sakuga at the end of this episode was fucking glorious. One thing I appreciate about this show is that even outside the mech fights in Zero Time, the fights are still fucking awesome. The action really is phenomenal in this series.

Oh and Wako's song and singing is boring as fuck.

Branduil

Star Driver 5- rewatch

Really fun episode. Some of the eccentric characters are amusing to all hell to watch. All I could think about this episode though was:

She didn't even need to become younger to get laid. A sizable number of male teenagers like Christmas Cake just the way it is. It's kinda amazing how it's portrayed in the episode as if she was male then holy shit would this have set off a firestorm. Instead the episode feels more like:

As for the fight sequence, it was pretty loltastic especially the way it ended. I remember being somewhat pissed when I first saw the episode as I thought it was a bullshit way to end the fight but rewatching it, it's funny as hell.

Why didn't they just have her fight him again? So dumb.

Jarmel

Banned
Why didn't they just have her fight him again? So dumb.

Her mech gets wrecked at the end of the episode but I thought the precog system was used again in one of the later eps. If not, then yea it's pretty bullshit as she was wrecking him and she's a crap fighter.

Also forgot to mention that the nurse has a huge forehead, similar in size to Ritsu's.

duckroll

Oh dear, you sweet people, hold me.
http://i.imgur.com/KXNYG9R.jpg

Ufotable art looks pretty good as usual. I hope the official site updates tonight with a clean version of that visual.

Are you planning on making a new thread for it on OT when the site is officially updated with the announcement? I would, except, I really hate F/SN (lol) so it'll be nice if someone who actually likes the story makes the thread. I'm only in this for the Ufotable. :(

Blusby

Ufotable art looks pretty good as usual. I hope the official site updates tonight with a clean version of that visual.

Are you planning on making a new thread for it on OT when the site is officially updated with the announcement? I would, except, I really hate F/SN (lol) so it'll be nice if someone who actually likes the story makes the thread. I'm only in this for the Ufotable. :(
Ah sure, I'll get to it tomorrow as I'm tired now. I'll try to make it sound enticing enough to sweeten even the most sour of ducks :p
Hopefully with the inevitable success of this series Ufotable will adapt Tsukihime, I've been waiting on that to be done for years now.

duckroll

Ah sure, I'll get to it tomorrow as I'm tired now. I'll try to make it sound enticing enough to sweeten even the most sour of ducks :p

Yay, thanks. There probably isn't much rush, since Fall is a long way off, but it'll be nice to have an informative thread about the new upcoming show for people who don't pop in here. I'll limit my negativity to trolling people about the Illya route, I promise! :D

duckroll

I think it's most likely that they'll go with the Waver epilogue in this version F/SN to close off the story entirely and tie it together with F/Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom