• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if these delays are related to CR's increasingly growing number of shows each season. It seems like part of it could be workload simply catching up with them. Not to say that there aren't actual delays in delivering the materials, but I've noticed that in the past they tried their best to minimize the delays, and I've heard from freelancers/contract staff who worked on the subs before that they've had to rush stuff because the materials were late or they would change before broadcast.

But starting from last season it seemed like they were more willing to just let a delay slide a day or two. Could it be a sign that their resources are being totally stretched out, hence a delay in materials could throw a spanner into their already tight schedules causing longer than usual delays? In contrast I've noticed that Wakanim and Daisuki have no problems putting up their non-English subtitles on time for stuff like Kill la Kill, but their English subtitles would always be held back since they're provided by CR.

If this is indeed what is going on, I think people have every right to feel that CR isn't doing their best to provide the service they are promising to subscribers. Taking on a dozens of shows every season definitely makes their service more appealing, but if it's affecting their quality standards and timely delivery of the content that kinda blows for people paying!

Delivery delays are real, because subs don't come out of nowhere. You have to receive materials before you can work on them, and if you don't receive them early enough it will affect your production schedule. But I've provided a more detailed hypothesis above on why the delays might be getting more frequent.

I guess I may have been assuming things wrong all along, but I was always under the assumption that they would have gotten an entire show weeks before hand, or at least at the start of the season that way they could go through the scripts and translate well in advance.

I wonder how this works in Anime. Does a studio usually animate an entire series then sell that to a TV station, or is it pretty much animated on a week by week basis? Because if its the former, then there should really be no reason why someone like Crunchyroll wouldn't get all the materials before hand.

Thoraxes

I guess I may have been assuming things wrong all along, but I was always under the assumption that they would have gotten an entire show weeks before hand, or at least at the start of the season that way they could go through the scripts and translate well in advance.

I wonder how this works in Anime. Does a studio usually animate an entire series then sell that to a TV station, or is it pretty much animated on a week by week basis? Because if its the former, then there should really be no reason why someone like Crunchyroll wouldn't get all the materials before hand.

Depends on the studio...

*cough* SHAFT

duckroll

It is incredibly rare for any anime to be complete by the time it goes on air. I can think of a couple of shows where that was the case, but it's so rare that it's not worth considering as a norm. In most cases the production is considered timely if the production lead time has a dozen or half dozen episodes animated by the time it goes on air.

In extreme cases, episodes are only completed to a satisfactory level on the same day it goes on air in Japan, and delivered to the station at the last minute. Even shows with a good lead in production can start to fall behind if later episodes take longer than expected. By the end of a series, it's not unusual to see a all-hands-on-deck approach to the final episodes, similar to crunch time on games which need to hit a release date.

So no, Crunchyroll does not get entire series weeks before hand. They get episodes a week in advance sometimes, more often in the same week its meant to be released. It's kinda shitty but that's how the entire anime industry is. It's a rushed industry, where opportunity cost and broadcast windows dictate everything else, rather than studios having an easy time sitting back and making stuff until they're complete and then selling them off like they are actually valued products. That's a pipe dream. :(

Vito

Banned
Fairy Tail page updated with an image: http://www.fairytail-tv.com/

gMDqI9r.png

o0Njpbu.png

I'm not really fond of the redesign. And since nobody bothered to post, Break Blade announcement on Feb 2nd? http://breakblade.jp/

That probably means Saturday for us, kinda interested since robots are always welcome.

Jarmel

Banned
It is incredibly rare for any anime to be complete by the time it goes on air. I can think of a couple of shows where that was the case, but it's so rare that it's not worth considering as a norm. In most cases the production is considered timely if the production lead time has a dozen or half dozen episodes animated by the time it goes on air.

That's partially why I'm surprised how far out F/SN is. They're completing episodes already and they have another 8 months before the thing even starts airing. That said, they might be trying to do it all in one push instead of a split season.

In extreme cases, episodes are only completed to a satisfactory level on the same day it goes on air in Japan, and delivered to the station at the last minute. Even shows with a good lead in production can start to fall behind if later episodes take longer than expected. By the end of a series, it's not unusual to see a all-hands-on-deck approach to the final episodes, similar to crunch time on games which need to hit a release date.

So no, Crunchyroll does not get entire series weeks before hand. They get episodes a week in advance sometimes, more often in the same week its meant to be released. It's kinda shitty but that's how the entire anime industry is. It's a rushed industry, where opportunity cost and broadcast windows dictate everything else, rather than studios having an easy time sitting back and making stuff until they're complete and then selling them off like they are actually valued products. That's a pipe dream. :(
Thanks for taking the time to explain. I think I get it now. Completely different from what I initially thought, and it kind of does give me a better perspective to how Crunchyroll might be dealing with things.

Jarmel

Banned
Star Driver-7 rewatch
Takuto is painted as somewhat of an airhead in the series in that he seems overly happy in a lot of situations but what I liked about the conversation he had with the random female theater club member was that he is aware of the group dynamics. He's also unsure as to what his role in the group is and whether he should bother continuing. However what random female theater club member makes him aware of is that sometimes all people really need are friends, especially when times are rough. So while he still might view himself as a third wheel, for him, that doesn't matter so much now.

One thing I do like about Wako is that instead of crying at Sugata's bed all day, she does try to do something, even if that act of prayer is meaningless. Another thing that struck me is that she isn't overly shy about nudity.
ibgVlaXgGHIiXu.gif

We then get the
heel turn for Sugata
. I really didn't like this the first time I watched and I still don't really like it.
He's never really portrayed as a dick before this episode and afterwards, he remains as this sort of asshole, even if his intentions are good. The plot point about him going into a coma is seemingly pointless as well he wakes up the next episode, so it feels like a sort of waste. However I do know that it pops up later due to Ivrogne giving him blowjobs or something.
ibpULFoflK2ZNj.gif

Oh and I should mention that the Kiraboshi uniforms fullfill every sort of clothing fetish out there. You have underboob, boob windows, ass shots, and sideboob. Not to mention when the females enter the cockpit and are electrocuted, it's like some S&M scene. The series in general really doesn't play down the sexuality aspect.

... the finger.

Texhnolyze 19

... Wow.

Yessssss.

I liked Texhnolyze for the sheer, unabashed (don't read until the end of series!)
nihilism. End of humanity, it's that simple. Hell, actually most of humanity went post-human singularity, all the series were about the rest of the rest that were left, and their fateful end.

Hunter x Hunter 114.

Ok, I have to admit that in this episode, things could have moved a little bit more faster.
Still pretty good, of course.

Nina Viento 4

What? Whaaat?? WHAT?

Come on, she looked a bit older years ago in the Wind Revolution, not the same age. And where the hell was she hiding those tits. And of course the hair color and make up also made her different, though that's a valid viewer-deceiving tactic.

Though I'm not very happy with the plot twist, still I think it's one of the series I'm liking more this season.
It also opens up for her being just another side of the same coin, a kid used in war by adults that suffered because their manipulation.

Tizoc

Got a question about some Evangelion episodes:
Is it better to watch the Director's Cut or On-air versions of the last episodes?

Cool, what about Death and Rebirth? Are they worth watching? I don't get what they're about exactly and it looks like I can skip them without losing anything of significance.

There's no need to watch Death and Rebirth. Half of it is a recap, the other half is included in End of Evangelion.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen Episode 4:

I was just playing though the Dark Fact boss battle the other day, AN ETERNITY OF BEING CAGED IS NOT LONG ENOUGH!

Gatchaman Crowds - Episode 11-12 + DC12

I've been debating whether I even wanted to type out more detailed thoughts on this after finally finishing the series the other day. It's been so long I dunno if anyone cares anymore. I really enjoyed the conclusion though. I avoided the broadcast ending when I heard it was incomplete, and finally looking at the TV ending after finishing it makes me wonder how that even got to air. It's not a vague climax, it's just plain unfinished. Pretty embarrassing for NTV to even boardcast something like that for a big franchise like Gatchaman, instead of just delaying it so it can be finished, or giving it a longer broadcast slot for the end.

As for the completed ending itself, I really liked it. It's very true to the tone and message of the series itself, and Hajime's final solution to defeating Berg Katse is true to her character, consistent with what the show built up to, and satisfying for the entire series arc. The Tachikawa Crowds Game was also a fitting conclusion to the ongoing theme in the show with regards to social media and how it is both a positive and negative force for the world depending on how it is used.

The director's cut conclusion to the series also adds many slower scenes showing the aftermath of the incident, the state of the characters directly after the incident and also two years later, as well as scenes showing how they fixed the Neo Hundreds themselves after collecting them all.

With the ending completed, it definitely feels like a better series overall, but still far from perfect. I wish it weren't such an inconsistent production, and at least it's creative and unique. Hajime's definitely the best depiction of an autistic savant as a lead character I've seen in an anime. <3
Excellent , now i can finish this anime !
Hoping that i won't be disapointed ,but i doubt i will.

Surely that most be coming though. That should be Nasu's main goal with this series.
The Illya route is the true sequel to Fate/Zero.
you guys totally forgot about fate/kaleid prisma illya ?
The hidden illya route that is fun to watch ,
you even have 3 illya in it ! 3 ! for the price of one !

Buddy Complex Episode 4
tumblr_n04iarpFRX1scxk8yo1_500.jpg

The complexity to buddying up made it feel quite deep. Dio not wanting to at first but then finaly getting over it and having that fully merged conscious with Aoba there
family protective feelings seems common for the VA for Aoba in these anime Ive heard him in
was a good bit to some of the episode. Still enjoying it.

Taruranto

Buddy Complex Episode 4
tumblr_n04iarpFRX1scxk8yo1_500.jpg

The complexity to buddying up made it feel quite deep. Dio not wanting to at first but then finaly getting over it and having that fully merged conscious with Aoba there
family protective feelings seems common for the VA for Aoba in these anime Ive heard him in
was a good bit to some of the episode. Still enjoying it.

Just like in my doujins!

BluWacky

Star Driver-7 rewatch
Oh and I should mention that the Kiraboshi uniforms fullfill every sort of clothing fetish out there. You have underboob, boob windows, ass shots, and sideboob. Not to mention when the females enter the cockpit and are electrocuted, it's like some S&M scene. The series in general really doesn't play down the sexuality aspect.

With that said, it doesn't play it up, either. While it's obviously a visual thing rather than totally within the script, it feels like Enokido makes the same mistake here that he did in Melody of Oblivion - the sensuality of the show has little bearing on the actual main content of the show.

While, of course, there's an inescapable implication of a link between
the breaking of the Maiden's Seal and loss of virginity
, it's not really followed through in any meaningful sense, nor is the constant Engrishy talk of
libido
. Several of the Crux members have storylines that seem to revolve around tortured personal relationships and sexuality, but they're unfortunately (for whatever reason) surprisingly dull.

sonicmj1

My biggest problem with the series is in that bait and switch and it's representative of a bigger problem: The plot hasn't gone anywhere. Earlier on, the story was establishing characters and motivations, which is fine, but really, what's happened in the story since the first episode? Not a whole lot, and of that, what has been really compelling? I can't tell you a single thing about Ryuko other than she wants to avenge her father and she has a fiery personality. If we compare it to the writer/directors last outing in Gurren Lagann, the pacing was electric. Every beat of the story felt like progress and the characters were constantly undergoing growth and transformation. I keep expecting to watch an episode and for it to click into this secret wealth of Imaishi madness, but instead it just seems to drag on.

That being said, I am still finding it to be entertaining episode to episode.

To be fair, the plot doesn't have to go anywhere for an anime to be good. Recalling another point of (unfair?) comparison, Revolutionary Girl Utena's large-scale plot spent entire arcs doing absolutely nothing. But the show lived through the stories and motivations of its characters. Each episode went deep into how a particular character lived, what motivated them, and how their dreams damaged them.

Kill la Kill sometimes tries to do that (wasn't that really what the Election arc should have been?), but it's also juggling these larger stories of Ryuko's background, Nudist Beach, Revocs, and more. It spends so much time skating around on the surface of these things that we never get anywhere with any of them. Many episodes lack structure or singular focus.

The show consistently gives me enough to make me want more, and I keep being optimistic that it might find its groove, but I'm not sure why.

Tokyo Ravens Episode 16 - _DARKNESS_EMERGE_ -Divine Fan-
tumblr_n05ai9poRW1qa94xto1_500.png

A Reiji Bakatora teamup and potential training would be a good development for the future but I doubt the anime would go into it more to really take him up on his offer.

But the fight and twists with Hirata and Daizen
it was incredible fight, third best of the anime thus far, just for how many times the table turned and how shocking it was. I hadnt even realized he was in a genjutsu either.

Tokyo Ravens Episode 16 - _DARKNESS_EMERGE_ -Divine Fan-
tumblr_n05ai9poRW1qa94xto1_500.png

A Reiji Bakatora teamup and potential training would be a good development for the future but I doubt the anime would go into it more to really take him up on his offer.

But the fight and twists with Hirata and Daizen
it was incredible fight, third best of the anime thus far, just for how many times the table turned and how shocking it was. I hadnt even realized he was in a genjutsu either.

Just about to say this ... tokyo ravens upped his game perfectly that fight was not as good as ep 14 , but it was excellent , this is what i was looking for at first when i was talking about onmyou battles.
DAT display of tactics where everyone had a trump card . "i have made the first move already !"

Trully excellent , now you feel like there is more to this anime than just Kon

Jarmel

Banned
What is there to rewatch in SD? :/

Sakuga.

With that said, it doesn't play it up, either. While it's obviously a visual thing rather than totally within the script, it feels like Enokido makes the same mistake here that he did in Melody of Oblivion - the sensuality of the show has little bearing on the actual main content of the show.

While, of course, there's an inescapable implication of a link between
the breaking of the Maiden's Seal and loss of virginity
, it's not really followed through in any meaningful sense, nor is the constant Engrishy talk of
libido
. Several of the Crux members have storylines that seem to revolve around tortured personal relationships and sexuality, but they're unfortunately (for whatever reason) surprisingly dull.

Well the libido thing does give an excuse for several events in the show and how they play out such as Sugata
being able to rejack stuff
. Overall I just view it more as texturing rather than anything else. Enokido doesn't really delve too much into the sex lives of the teenagers and so it comes off rather light hearted, a tone the show repeatedly tries to maintain.

The sexuality seems more like a small element as you're correct in that nothing is really done with it. I don't mind it though as it prevents the show from becoming too bogged down in drama.

e_i

It's the season of purchases ... ( for me anyway ) .

Something good to add in my collection

season 2 is next actually no , since the disc is region locked.

I want to remind people that Wagnaria (Working) season 2 is coming next week to Blu-ray. Buy it. Buy it now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Nice. But Happy Go Lily is such a stupid name. They really didn't to add it.

Come on All the Anime or whoever in the UK. Bring YuruYuri to me! I'll give you a whole ten pound note!

Jex

Amusingly enough, episode fifteen was the first time in a while that the story in KLK progressed a little. But from how it's presented within the episode - complete with color-shifting credits, as if we had just witnessed some show-shaking change - you'd think that someone had died. Instead it's just one last nudge forward before it comes to a halt again.

I'm honestly surprised that KLK's biggest weakness ended up being the writing. I mean, I know I shouldn't be too surprised because of the general quality of anime writing overall but still it seemed like Trigger is a pretty cool studio made up of talented people who should honestly know better. It's not like this is the director's first experience with this kind of material.

I marathoned White Album 2 and I wish all 3 main characters fell off the bridge and died. It was decent until the fair but went to shit right afterwards. I havent hated a character like Haruki in a while. Not for the stuff he does towards the end but because of how damn meddling and lecturing and annoying he is. Dude does nothing but lecture people and cry.

How do they not run out of tears to cry!?! Show should have been about the player friend.
It makes me happy that no one "won" at the end

Midonin

Inari, Kon Kon, Koi Iroha. 03

I liked the parallel stories going on with the brothers, and Miya looks like a cute addition to the cast. Seeing Inari's cute pose being done by the vice principal was a "What?" moment.

Jex

If you can't appreciate Nils Nielsen, black American weeaboo child prodigy, running around spying on people while wearing a ninja suit, then I don't know how you can appreciate anything.

It sounds like someone who can't appreciate that can't appreciate fun and therefore shouldn't be allowed near Gundam Build Fighters.

cajunator

Banned

Nice purchase! I have both sets now and I honestly didnt expect the show to get licensed for whatever reason but it was a nice pleasant surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom